ADVERTISEMENT

Bush League

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001

Slovis delivered another winning season. Show some appreciation.

Who knows how well he might have played if we didn't get him nearly killed in the first game and a half?

Who knows how well he might have played if we didn't get him nearly killed in the first game and a half?
Nah, Slovis sucked. He bailed so appreciation not forthcoming...Pitt had a winning season in spite of him not because of him.. btw, not the first kid to get banged up in a game..No warm and fuzzies for portal mercenaries.

Last edited:
After watching Patti in the sun bowl I feel the staff made the wrong decision in starting slovis the only thing slovis had on Patti is a stronger arm other than that Patti looked better in all the other areas of playing qb especially more escape ability which slovis had none

Why did he stick with this guy all year if he feels this way? It just comes across as sour grapes when you badmouth someone on their way out the door as often as Narduzzi does.
The answer is obvious. Despite his weaknesses, he gave us the best chance to win. But an upgrade for next year is needed and he thinks he found it.

The answer is obvious. Despite his weaknesses, he gave us the best chance to win. But an upgrade for next year is needed and he thinks he found it.
That part is fine. No problem with up grading.

Slovis struggled with mobility. Struggled to read the field. Struggled to push the ball down field.

Guess what? That’s exactly who he was at USC. Dude wasn’t great here. But he wasn’t great before here.

If you want great, stop striking out at the high school recruiting level. Because the portal is mostly going to be a bunch of QBs that washed out at their previous places, and probably going to play like a QB that washed out.

After watching Patti in the sun bowl I feel the staff made the wrong decision in starting slovis the only thing slovis had on Patti is a stronger arm other than that Patti looked better in all the other areas of playing qb especially more escape ability which slovis had none
When did Patti’s injury from the TN game heal enough for him to be able to return fully healthy?

Reactions: FireballZ
Bad look for a head coach. Absolutely unnecessary to throw Slovis under the bus. Nothing at all to be gained by this sort of stuff. Afterall, who recruited Slovis and handed him the starting job? Very petty IMO.

Cruzer

When did Patti’s injury from the TN game heal enough for him to be able to return fully healthy?

and
The answer is obvious. Despite his weaknesses, he(Slovis) gave us the best chance to win.

I loved that Sun Bowl for the mere fact that NP , a loyal Pitt man had the chance to shine , lead, and go out with a bang. That being said I really believe the reason he got overlooked was that the staff knew by last winter he is just that kind of kid that will never stay healthy. His best way to help the team was as the number 2 guy in spot duty.....the evidence, although circumstantial, backs the staff's decision up.

Slovis struggled with mobility. Struggled to read the field. Struggled to push the ball down field.

Guess what? That’s exactly who he was at USC. Dude wasn’t great here. But he wasn’t great before here.

If you want great, stop striking out at the high school recruiting level. Because the portal is mostly going to be a bunch of QBs that washed out at their previous places, and probably going to play like a QB that washed out.
Pitt lives in your head. Get back under your bridge.

The most important quality for a qb is leadership, and if he thought Slovis was not a good leader, then he should not have kept playing the guy. Is he really saying that he had no qb leadership on the team? Just a bad look for Narduzzi, no matter how you cut it.

Beat it troll… Your act is old…

Hmmmm, yet Big Ben will be inducted into the HOF in few short years.....
Big Ben was a great leader. He WILLED an inferior team his last two seasons to victories

How many comeback victories has he been responsible for?

Bad look for a head coach. Absolutely unnecessary to throw Slovis under the bus. Nothing at all to be gained by this sort of stuff. Afterall, who recruited Slovis and handed him the starting job? Very petty IMO.

Cruzer
Not disagreeing. He could have taken the high road and phrased his words so as to not reflect poorly on Slovis. However, could it be that Duzz is upset that he chose Slovis and backed him the whole time and Slovis repayed him by leaving? Maybe Duzz was fine with and expected Slovis to come back and only got upset when Slovis showed no loyalty/Leadership and left.

Wording could have been better, but I expected a lot worse after reading some of the takes in this thread.

I don't think any of us need Narduzzi to tell us Slovis wasn't a leader, so I have no problem with that comment.

He didn't need to say maybe they wanted to lose their QB, even though nobody shed a tear over it.

Reactions: gary2
The most important quality for a qb is leadership, and if he thought Slovis was not a good leader, then he should not have kept playing the guy. Is he really saying that he had no qb leadership on the team? Just a bad look for Narduzzi, no matter how you cut it.
It depends on whether there are other leaders on the team.

Narduzzi looks just fine.

I think Ben was a "talented competitor that WILLED his team..." I think there is a difference.
I don't know. Ben was tough as nails. He played hurt. He took blame. He praised his teamates.

When things were falling apart, he held the team together. he did something. He took over.

Fits the definition of a leader for me.

• Haha
Duzz is Duzz. With Coach Duzz, if you’re not with me, you’re against me. Slovis is no longer with him.

Only problem I have is that Duzz was the recruiter for Slovis - before Duzz had an OC - which was a large blunder by Duzz…. And you’d think Duzz would have recognized that the immobile Slovis was exactly the type of QB Duzz most likes his defense to go up against…

Go Pitt.

I don't know. Ben was tough as nails. He played hurt. He took blame. He praised his teamates.

When things were falling apart, he held the team together. he did something. He took over.

Fits the definition of a leader for me.

That's why his teammates named him team MVP a grand total of {checks notes} one time.

Hall of Fame quarterback, team MVP one time. Because his teammates just loved him, obviously.

1) if people can’t see that this is bush league, they need to take the shades off

2) if this is/was his attitude toward Slovis, why did they never see what Patti could do?

he gave us the best chance to win... yes, the judgement of the staff was infallible and never in the history of football has a guy on the bench who is not a practice stud been a better option..

they incorrectly thought he gave us the best chance to win... There, I fixed it for you.

This is more evidence that things must have degenerated with Slovis and the rest of the team rather steadily over the course of the season. There was success on the field near season end, but mostly because Slovis’ involvement was increasingly marginalized and the focus on the run and defense magnified. Slovis no doubt noticed this and likely demonstrated displeasure in some fashion about it (to his credit, never publicly). He certainly never did appear too popular with his teammates through the year, and clearly not with the coaches either. Culminated with him hitting the road immediately when the final gun sounded, and likely with hard feelings all around.

I guess I’ll join the chorus here (since I led the chorus loudly in this mid season weeks) wondering why Duz didn’t yank his tail in the innumerable times Slovis was sucking? Patti’s play in the bowl showed he clearly was at least an equally viable option. This is what ‘journalists’ need to do when they blithely publish these gotcha type items; follow up with the logical question everyone then wants to know. All Duz would need to do is say, Patti’s ankle was too injured for a month after the TN game and Yarnell was too green. Bang. But, nothing. Very frustrating.

So in the end, bad look by Duz but not for the sour words but for the questionable decisions.

If the staff was as high on Patti as some seem to be implying, they'd have only brought in underclassmen through the portal and not Jurkovec as they'd think Patti is the answer for the 2023 season. They essentially made over the entire room. I think that says it all. Think they love what Patti brings bit believe he was limited do they stuck with Slovis. Patti was also coming off a 3 or 4 week injury during Slovis worst run of play.

Reactions: cashisking884
Exactly. There were other qb's on the team - were none of them leaders?

And whose fault is that if there weren’t?

It’s not the comments per se. I like that he just says what’s on his mind. But he has the wrong thing on his mind. It seems like Narduzzi is upset at something that Narduzzi created.

Narduzzi recruited the QB room that required Slovis to come in and save it.
Narduzzi choose Slovis, with all of Slovis’ known problems in his game, to be the savior.
Narduzzi continued to play him. Which means his skills and leadership were the best of the QBs. Which isn’t Slovis’ fault, it’s Narduzzi’s.

Reactions: CJsE
Slovis was not right after the hit in the Tennessee game. Patti was also hurt with a high ankle sprain. It probably hurt both of their development during the season. Slovis did throw a nice ball. The other things like leadership were not apparent with Slovis. I do not have a problem with what the coach says. He tells it like it is and is truthful nothing wrong with that. Pitt had an ACC Championship team with good quarterback play.

Reactions: joeydavid
Slovis was not right after the hit in the Tennessee game. Patti was also hurt with a high ankle sprain. It probably hurt both of their development during the season. Slovis did throw a nice ball. The other things like leadership were not apparent with Slovis. I do not have a problem with what the coach says. He tells it like it is and is truthful nothing wrong with that. Pitt had an ACC Championship team with good quarterback play.
Did it appear to you that Slovis was placed in a strait jacket by the OC while still suffering from the results of the hit, but was "allowed" to do more latter in the season?

If the staff was as high on Patti as some seem to be implying, they'd have only brought in underclassmen through the portal and not Jurkovec as they'd think Patti is the answer for the 2023 season. They essentially made over the entire room. I think that says it all. Think they love what Patti brings bit believe he was limited do they stuck with Slovis. Patti was also coming off a 3 or 4 week injury during Slovis worst run of play.
Where have you seen that Nick ever planned to come back for his “Covid” year in 2023?

he gave us the best chance to win... yes, the judgement of the staff was infallible and never in the history of football has a guy on the bench who is not a practice stud been a better option..

they incorrectly thought he gave us the best chance to win... There, I fixed it for you.
You know more than a coaching staff who delivered a 9-win season. Got it.

Regardless, Narduzzi played Slovis he thought Slovis gave them the best chance to win. That is not even debatable,

Big Ben was a great leader. He WILLED an inferior team his last two seasons to victories

How many comeback victories has he been responsible for?

He did less with more talent around him. He consistently blamed others for his failure to win. If the fat dope bothered to study game film they wouldn't of been behind in many 4th quarters because of his turnovers. The dude is a lot of things but not a leader.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT