ADVERTISEMENT

Buzz Williams at Vir.Tech and Dan Hurley Rhode Island

I hate that Stallings gets a pass for Manigault, Kitchart and Clark and that all of those guys get blamed on Dixon. He could have told those guys that he would release them from scholarship if they liked and they could look around. He didn't, he chose to encourage them to remain committed, while gracious, there was also a graceful way to get out of those commitments if they weren't fits for what he wanted to do. He also left open a scholarship spot, no recruits, no grad transfers, no sit a year transfers, nothing. he basically punted a way of putting his stamp on recruiting.

My take is that if he knew he was coming in to a potential rebuild then at least bring in one of your own players. Plenty of coaches get hired in March and add to their rosters, a great deal of the players on Pitt's team this year were added after March. Its not like he came in from Siberia and had no recruiting connections and needed to rebuild his network, the man didn't go a day without a job.
Totally agree with your second paragraph. There's no excuse for Stallings not coming here with a couple of recruits in his back pocket. I have no idea if he was recruiting PGs for his 16-17 Vandy class or not, but after 20+ years as a D1 Head Coach, he should have enough contacts to be able to get someone late in the game. I can't imagine Kithcart's jump shot looked prettier in March/April of 2016 when he recommitted than it did in November when he took the court.

Clark got hurt, so he shouldn't really be a part of the debate, either way. He was likely slatted to have played 10+ minutes a game last season, if healthy.

And with those 3 recruits Williams signed weeks after his arrival, his record was what his first season?

And with his next truly outstanding class (additional 3 top 125 players), he tied for 7th the year after that and 7th again the year after that?

And where exactly is his program now?
Will probably be 7th or worse again this year

Reactions: gary2
Will probably be 7th or worse again this year
I think you are right.

People think he is a very good coach. People think he can recruit. He is in his 4th season. Why no better than 7th?

I think it is due to the lack of a competitive big. You can't truly compete unless you have that player on your team. They have no Taft, Gray, Blair, Adams even a Troutman, Zanna or Lett. You need a post player that can both hold his own defensively and score.

That should put things in some perspective for Pitt fans

I think you are right.

People think he is a very good coach. People think he can recruit. He is in his 4th season. Why no better than 7th?

That should put things in some perspective for Pitt fans, you would think.
I think that, why no better than 7th?, is because being 7th in the ACC is usually a top 40 spot, and in a sport where every team is trying to compete, and where mid majors are investing huge money into their programs (because the return on investment for BBall as opposed to FBall at that level is good), being a top 40 team isn't some form of disgrace. For most teams being top 40-50 year in and year out, with some top 25 finishes and getting a chance to compete for more a couple years out of every 10 is probably a great success. For a few schools like Duke, Kentucky and UNC they need to be in the top 10 year in and year out

I think that, why no better than 7th?, is because being 7th in the ACC is usually a top 40 spot, and in a sport where every team is trying to compete, and where mid majors are investing huge money into their programs (because the return on investment for BBall as opposed to FBall at that level is good), being a top 40 team isn't some form of disgrace. For most teams being top 40-50 year in and year out, with some top 25 finishes and getting a chance to compete for more a couple years out of every 10 is probably a great success. For a few schools like Duke, Kentucky and UNC they need to be in the top 10 year in and year out

Put this thread you are responding to and the other thread you are responding to and come to some conclusion about what Pitt needs to do and what Pitt can be.

I think you are right.

I think it is due to the lack of a competitive big. You can't truly compete unless you have that player on your team. They have no Taft, Gray, Blair, Adams even a Troutman, Zanna or Lett. You need a post player that can both hold his own defensively and score.

That should put things in some perspective for Pitt fans
Because in context of Virginia tech-
That’s a big improvement.

Willing 4 conference games total thus far into the second season-
Not so much when the season before Pitt won 9.

Totally agree with your second paragraph. There's no excuse for Stallings not coming here with a couple of recruits in his back pocket. I have no idea if he was recruiting PGs for his 16-17 Vandy class or not, but after 20+ years as a D1 Head Coach, he should have enough contacts to be able to get someone late in the game. I can't imagine Kithcart's jump shot looked prettier in March/April of 2016 when he recommitted than it did in November when he took the court.

Clark got hurt, so he shouldn't really be a part of the debate, either way. He was likely slatted to have played 10+ minutes a game last season, if healthy.

Big Rosie would look pretty good on this team, could have saved Peace redshirt.

Put this thread you are responding to and the other thread you are responding to and come to some conclusion about what Pitt needs to do and what Pitt can be.
I'm just a realist, every program has to get to a steady point in order to take the next step, and even then it is usually for a few seasons. Pitt was steady for 11 or so years, dipped a bit and people called for the head of the coach. If the bar is that a team needs to be in the top 3 of the ACC year in and year out then get used to a lot of coaching turnover. A team like VA Tech who has never been successful in college basketball is likely excited to have made the tourney for the 1st time in 10 years and for only the 3rd time in 30 years. They also have a chance to make the tourney again.

I'm not sure that sh*tting on a guy for being 7th or so in the ACC is wise when we are going to need luck to win an ACC game

I'm just a realist, every program has to get to a steady point in order to take the next step, and even then it is usually for a few seasons. Pitt was steady for 11 or so years, dipped a bit and people called for the head of the coach. If the bar is that a team needs to be in the top 3 of the ACC year in and year out then get used to a lot of coaching turnover. A team like VA Tech who has never been successful in college basketball is likely excited to have made the tourney for the 1st time in 10 years and for only the 3rd time in 30 years. They also have a chance to make the tourney again.

I'm not sure that sh*tting on a guy for being 7th or so in the ACC is wise when we are going to need luck to win an ACC game
I don't think I was sh*tting on anyone.

I showed what rebuilds looked like at 2 places.

I showed what a universally well respected coach has done into his 4th season, with generally regarded good recruiting classes under his belt. I have pointed out that the best he has achieved is 7th place. I pointed out it is hard to compete in the ACC. I gave my opinion that Pitt today is not that far from Vir.Tech - Neither have the requisite competitive big.

I indicated in my mind,Pitt's choices are to either give Stallings some time, or if a move has to be made, make it to someone who will cut some corners to win. The job is not a plum job. We are in no position to spend a ton of money. The fan base can be best described as feeling entitled. We need to improve quickly and that is extremely unlikely to happen without help. Most times when Pitt has been successful in FB and BB, it has had some help.

As I have stated on numerous occasions, I see Pitt's ceiling in the ACC as 10-8, 9-9, 8-10. Happen upon a Blair, maybe better for the time that player is here. Almost everyone in the ACC either has built in advantages or cheats. We need to realize that when were are arriving at expectations.

Seriously - What do you think they should do with the coaching situation? What do you think Pitt's ceiling is in the ACC?

Last edited:

I showed what a universally well respected coach has done into his 4th season, with generally regarded good recruiting classes under his belt. I have pointed out that the best he has achieved is 7th place. I pointed out it is hard to compete in the ACC. I gave my opinion that Pitt today is not that far from Vir.Tech - Neither have the requisite competitive big.

I indicated in my mind,Pitt's choices are to either give Stallings some time, or if a move has to be made, make it to someone who will cut some corners to win. The job is not a plum job. We are in no position to spend a ton of money. The fan base can be best described as feeling entitled. We need to improve quickly and that is extremely unlikely to happen without help. Most times when Pitt has been successful in FB and BB, it has had some help.

As I have stated on numerous occasions, I see Pitt's ceiling in the ACC as 10-8, 9-9, 8-10. Happen upon a Blair, maybe better for the time that player is here. Almost everyone in the ACC either has built in advantages or cheats. We need to realize that when were are arriving at expectations.

Seriously - What do you think they should do with the coaching situation? What do you think Pitt's ceiling is in the ACC?
We've already gone 11-7 in the ACC without a player like that.

Thats all fair. Might have confused you with another poster when suggesting that Williams was getting sh!t on for only being 7th.

Corey screwed up to start the year and has struggled with a bit of a leg injury, but it should be worth noting that Indian Hills would probably give Pitt a run for their money, that is a talented team with some D1 talent. I also don't think their MPGs are correct, so he has played a few more minutes than that and is not scoring at such a prolific rate.
Last game he played 6 minutes and had 4 points - Box scores for other games listed

http://www.indianhillsathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/bios/manigault_corey_vyfz

Last game he played 6 minutes and had 4 points - Box scores for other games listed

http://www.indianhillsathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/bios/manigault_corey_vyfz
Yeah, 7 of the games he is listed as playing 1 min (and so is everyone on the team), one of those games he went for 24 pts. So, I think the MPG is screwed up in their system at Indian Hills. He is playing more but still pretty limited. The guy he primarily plays behind Ivan Aurrecoechea is pretty good, I've seen him listed as a top 20 JuCo.

Reactions: Jpripper88
I hate that Stallings gets a pass for Manigault, Kitchart and Clark and that all of those guys get blamed on Dixon. He could have told those guys that he would release them from scholarship if they liked and they could look around. He didn't, he chose to encourage them to remain committed, while gracious, there was also a graceful way to get out of those commitments if they weren't fits for what he wanted to do. He also left open a scholarship spot, no recruits, no grad transfers, no sit a year transfers, nothing. he basically punted a way of putting his stamp on recruiting.

My take is that if he knew he was coming in to a potential rebuild then at least bring in one of your own players. Plenty of coaches get hired in March and add to their rosters, a great deal of the players on Pitt's team this year were added after March. Its not like he came in from Siberia and had no recruiting connections and needed to rebuild his network, the man didn't go a day without a job.
I believe he did release them and they decided after he talked to them to recommit .
Why are you so fixated on that 13th scholarship ? If he could’ve added a player that would’ve benefited the program he would’ve .
Don’t get me wrong I don’t think for a minute that KS is doing a bang up job of recruiting at Pitt , but a far more successful coach at Pitt was struggling mightily to sign any quality recruits for the previous three yrs . He was forced into using second tier grad transfers to fill his roster .
Could it be a Pitt problem more so then a coach problem ?
I think KS days are numbered at Pitt , I still think he gets another season at Pitt until he decides to retire and then I guess we all will get to see how the next great Pitt hire recruits !

I believe he did release them and they decided after he talked to them to recommit .
Why are you so fixated on that 13th scholarship ? If he could’ve added a player that would’ve benefited the program he would’ve .
Don’t get me wrong I don’t think for a minute that KS is doing a bang up job of recruiting at Pitt , but a far more successful coach at Pitt was struggling mightily to sign any quality recruits for the previous three yrs . He was forced into using second tier grad transfers to fill his roster .
Could it be a Pitt problem more so then a coach problem ?
I think KS days are numbered at Pitt , I still think he gets another season at Pitt until he decides to retire and then I guess we all will get to see how the next great Pitt hire recruits !
I'm not bringing up the 13th scholarship, you are, that is your argument.... but nearly every player (frosh and soph) on this years pitt team would have been the 10-13 player on a decent pitt team. In that role they get a chance to develop. As they move up in class, they either move in to the rotation, or move on. That is how the good years of this program were built, we seldom relied on freshman to be contributors right off. The only reason they aren't on the end of the bench learning the game is because they are forced into action out of necessity.

Stallings had a chance to start making his mark on the team the moment he got on campus, he didnt. He clearly thought last years team could compete for the tournament, or he was too lazy to want to have to go out and recruit, and I don't think the latter is true. But your statement is part of the point "If he could've added a player that would've benefited the program he would've". That is what he was hired for, people act like this is his first recruiting class, it isn't, he brought in a class that was inherited, but that he chose because he couldn't do better.

There were people on this board who made it seem like Dixon leaving (however that happened) would just be addition by subtraction, if we got him out of the way, then the recruiting would improve because we have this great opportunity to sell. That clearly wasn't the case

I'm not bringing up the 13th scholarship, you are, that is your argument.... but nearly every player (frosh and soph) on this years pitt team would have been the 10-13 player on a decent pitt team. In that role they get a chance to develop. As they move up in class, they either move in to the rotation, or move on. That is how the good years of this program were built, we seldom relied on freshman to be contributors right off. The only reason they aren't on the end of the bench learning the game is because they are forced into action out of necessity.

Stallings had a chance to start making his mark on the team the moment he got on campus, he didnt. He clearly thought last years team could compete for the tournament, or he was too lazy to want to have to go out and recruit, and I don't think the latter is true. But your statement is part of the point "If he could've added a player that would've benefited the program he would've". That is what he was hired for, people act like this is his first recruiting class, it isn't, he brought in a class that was inherited, but that he chose because he couldn't do better.

There were people on this board who made it seem like Dixon leaving (however that happened) would just be addition by subtraction, if we got him out of the way, then the recruiting would improve because we have this great opportunity to sell. That clearly wasn't the case
These freshman are the best class since Artis and Young’s class . Like it or not that’s true .
I’m of the opinion that Pitt just isn’t an easy place to recruit to since the move to the ACC . Without incentives I’m not sure how Pitt ever becomes a school with a top 15 recruiting class .
There will be a new bb coach in a few yrs here and it will be interesting to see how successful they recruit . It might just be that both JD and KS aren’t very good recruiters.

These freshman are the best class since Artis and Young’s class . Like it or not that’s true .
I’m of the opinion that Pitt just isn’t an easy place to recruit to since the move to the ACC . Without incentives I’m not sure how Pitt ever becomes a school with a top 15 recruiting class .
There will be a new bb coach in a few yrs here and it will be interesting to see how successful they recruit . It might just be that both JD and KS aren’t very good recruiters.
I agree with most everything you are saying, but I think it is hard to evaluate this class against others, because these players are getting opportunities that they haven't necessarily earned (or wouldn't have earned against veteran competition). Johnson and Luther turned out to be really good players, will this class have 2 players that turn out better than those two? Time will tell. I have been pleased by a few: Stewart is playing better than I thought he would, Davis is no star but is steady, Stephenson has handled himself better than I thought, Carr is not as good as I thought he would be, but is good. All of the bigs: Brown, Ilegomah and George have been terrible, and that is concerning. There will also be attrition in this class too, and that will effect how we view it a few years from now.

I agree with most everything you are saying, but I think it is hard to evaluate this class against others, because these players are getting opportunities that they haven't necessarily earned (or wouldn't have earned against veteran competition). Johnson and Luther turned out to be really good players, will this class have 2 players that turn out better than those two? Time will tell. I have been pleased by a few: Stewart is playing better than I thought he would, Davis is no star but is steady, Stephenson has handled himself better than I thought, Carr is not as good as I thought he would be, but is good. All of the bigs: Brown, Ilegomah and George have been terrible, and that is concerning. There will also be attrition in this class too, and that will effect how we view it a few years from now.
Ryan Luther has turned himself into a very good bb player , but on a good ACC team he’s the 6th man . Cam has a world of potential , but sadly he’s wasnt a star for Pitt . He ran away from an opportunity to be a star and now he’s the 6th man at UNC and not really tearing it up there either . Solid players . There will be two or more solid players out of this class .

Ryan Luther has turned himself into a very good bb player , but on a good ACC team he’s the 6th man . Cam has a world of potential , but sadly he’s wasnt a star for Pitt . He ran away from an opportunity to be a star and now he’s the 6th man at UNC and not really tearing it up there either . Solid players . There will be two or more solid players out of this class .
My concern is that it is 2 or 3 solid players out of 11 though. Stallings had some star players and struggled to win. Dixon often just had a good collection of solid players and tended to win. We are swimming up stream if we don't bring in some legitimate stars soon.

My concern is that it is 2 or 3 solid players out of 11 though. Stallings had some star players and struggled to win. Dixon often just had a good collection of solid players and tended to win. We are swimming up stream if we don't bring in some legitimate stars soon.
Face it they’re starting over .

Face it they’re starting over .
Is there something I've said that suggests I haven't faced that they are starting over? My concern is that they are starting over poorly, and without bringing in good enough players to suggest that 4-14 or 0-18 or somewhere in between will not be the new norm for several years to come. The idea that this team can compete for NIT next year is laughable to me. We recruited poorly this year considering the 11 openings and opportunities for playing time, and our class for next year appears mediocre. We are banking on Ryan Luther returning next year to be our best player for a 2nd consecutive year. This is a rebuild sure, it is just a poor and ineffective one.

Is there something I've said that suggests I haven't faced that they are starting over? My concern is that they are starting over poorly, and without bringing in good enough players to suggest that 4-14 or 0-18 or somewhere in between will not be the new norm for several years to come. The idea that this team can compete for NIT next year is laughable to me. We recruited poorly this year considering the 11 openings and opportunities for playing time, and our class for next year appears mediocre. We are banking on Ryan Luther returning next year to be our best player for a 2nd consecutive year. This is a rebuild sure, it is just a poor and ineffective one.
This is Pitt starting over not Duke or Kentucky , I personally don’t see how you can expect top 100 caliber guys wanting to come to Pitt when they can go just about anywhere they want . Pitts a tough sell and unless a magician comes in here it’s going to be hard to turn this around
quickly . Unless they get down in the mud .

Reactions: FireballZ
This is Pitt starting over not Duke or Kentucky , I personally don’t see how you can expect top 100 caliber guys wanting to come to Pitt when they can go just about anywhere they want . Pitts a tough sell and unless a magician comes in here it’s going to be hard to turn this around
quickly . Unless they get down in the mud .

I don't expect all top 100 guys, but I don't think we should shut off to this, schools like Missouri, Providence, Saint Louis, TCU, Creighton, UNLV, and on and on are bringing them in. Stallings has had years of connections, that is a big part of recruiting too, so I would have expected by reputation that he would be recruiting noticably better than Dixon.

I don't expect all top 100 guys, but I don't think we should shut off to this, schools like Missouri, Providence, Saint Louis, TCU, Creighton, UNLV, and on and on are bringing them in. Stallings has had years of connections, that is a big part of recruiting too, so I would have expected by reputation that he would be recruiting noticably better than Dixon.
You and Barnes ! TCU went out and paid to get a big time coach and then hired a big time recruiter . TCU wants to win and is putting the money where their mouth is .

You and Barnes ! TCU went out and paid to get a big time coach and then hired a big time recruiter . TCU wants to win and is putting the money where their mouth is .

Ok, not even sure what you are arguing for or what points you think you are making, or what you think I believe, but there is very little that I agree with in regards to how Barnes handled any of it, so to put me in a bucket with him is to misinterpret all that I am trying to express. I'll chalk it up to me being unable to accurately express myself on a message board.

Ok, not even sure what you are arguing for or what points you think you are making, or what you think I believe, but there is very little that I agree with in regards to how Barnes handled any of it, so to put me in a bucket with him is to misinterpret all that I am trying to express. I'll chalk it up to me being unable to accurately express myself on a message board.
Barnes also thought KS should be able to recruit better !
I’ve realized that Pitts heart just isn’t in it to put a highly competitive team on the court . They told me everything I needed to know about their intentions with the KS hire .
He’s here so I want him to succeed and I actually think this freshman class in time with future additions will at least put Pitt in the middle of the pack in the conference . ( lower middle ! ) But that’s all Pitt really want$ .
I can’t see Pitt eating his contract yet and I can’t see Pitt ponying up dollars to get a game changer coach in here . So I root for his success .

Reactions: FireballZ
He ran away from an opportunity to be a star and now he’s the 6th man at UNC and not really tearing it up there either .

Actually now that he's been back for a while he is starting. And as far as not really tearing it up, he has the third highest offensive rating on a team with a really good offense. His offensive rating is much better than anyone on our team, and it pretty much dwarfs anyone on the team other than Parker Stewart.

If it isn't obvious by now that the reason that he left was to get off a sinking boat then you simply aren't paying attention.

By the way, if you are watching the opening game of the ACC RSN doubleheader tonight you'd see that in the first 23 minutes against the 20th ranked team in the country Johnson has only scored 18 points.

Reactions: Ski11585
Actually now that he's been back for a while he is starting. And as far as not really tearing it up, he has the third highest offensive rating on a team with a really good offense. His offensive rating is much better than anyone on our team, and it pretty much dwarfs anyone on the team other than Parker Stewart.

If it isn't obvious by now that the reason that he left was to get off a sinking boat then you simply aren't paying attention.
I never said I don’t blame him nor do I think that a 4th yr man wouldn’t be significantly better than any player on Pitts roster . I just stated he had a chance to have the entire offense evolve around him and he choose to leave .

You can’t read can you ?

I can read. I've read a couple dozen of your posts ascribing Johnson's move to the fact that he didn't want to be "the man" at Pitt while continually ignoring the fact that he's a starter and one of the best players on a national championship contender.

You even did it right there in this thread. "He ran away from an opportunity to be a star." No, he ran away from a sinking ship and is instead one of the best players on a top ten team. Does that make him a "star"? I'll bet he couldn't give a rat's arse.

I can read. I've read a couple dozen of your posts ascribing Johnson's move to the fact that he didn't want to be "the man" at Pitt while continually ignoring the fact that he's a starter and one of the best players on a national championship contender.

You even did it right there in this thread. "He ran away from an opportunity to be a star." No, he ran away from a sinking ship and is instead one of the best players on a top ten team. Does that make him a "star"? I'll bet he couldn't give a rat's arse.
Cam played a good game today.

I don’t blame him for wanting to play at UNC instead of Pitt . I’d never consider Pitt if UNC was calling . As a Pitt fan I didn’t like his defection to an ACC team . To be truthful I think he didn’t want the pressure of being the man , but that’s just my opinion .

So you think that he tried to avoid the pressure of being the man on a team that no one cares about by going to one of the most pressure packed programs in college basketball?

Really?
It’s a lot easier to be one of 8-10 really good players on a team than to be the only one . Constantly being double teamed or always having the best defender glued to your jersey isn’t a lot of fun .
I guess we’ll see how he responds to the pressure because he was anything but clutch last yr missing a lot of wide looks at crucial times .

It’s a lot easier to be one of 8-10 really good players on a team than to be the only one . Constantly being double teamed or always having the best defender glued to your jersey isn’t a lot of fun .
I guess we’ll see how he responds to the pressure because he was anything but clutch last yr missing a lot of wide looks at crucial times .
Move on, your point is dumb

Constantly being double teamed or always having the best defender glued to your jersey isn’t a lot of fun .

Which is exactly the reason he left: He would be the only player of any substance on this team, and his production would be artificially limited as a result. He's chasing pro dreams and he needs to play on a team where he can't be triple teamed every night because everyone else sucks.

I'd be really interested in seeing the worst team records of any players drafted in recent years.

Which is exactly the reason he left: He would be the only player of any substance on this team, and his production would be artificially limited as a result. He's chasing pro dreams and he needs to play on a team where he can't be triple teamed every night because everyone else sucks.

I'd be really interested in seeing the worst team records of any players drafted in recent years.
Exactly, but Fsgolfdr doesn't get it at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT