ADVERTISEMENT

cal at pittsburgh 2024 football battle

How long are you thinking of being in the area? Making a long weekend out of it, or are you thinking more of a fly in Friday night/fly out Sunday morning sort of thing?

Reactions: shocky5
Glad you can make it in for the game. I agree it depends on how long your visit is, and interests obviously. Happy to help with more specifics if you have questions.

If you’re coming just around the game probably best to book a hotel downtown. You can take the T over to the stadium on the North Shore, or stroll across a bridge. The Warhol Museum is a block or two from PNC Park (baseball) and might not be a game day spot, but they have Friday night happy hours that could be an idea for the night before.

Pitt’s campus is in the Oakland neighborhood. Paco has a pinned thread about the school and surrounding area. Some of the restaurants listed are now defunct, but the Catherdral, Phipps, Carnegie Museum, etc are still there.

Berkley is a cool college town, I saw the stadium when I walked through campus/the city a few years ago. Definitely worth visiting and the BART seems easy enough to navigate between San Fran/Oakland/etc.

gonna probably be in town flying in from scottsdale thursday & then flying out sunday afternoon

cal fb wuz done forever due to incompetence of our athletic director & the then pac 12 commish but luckily we drafted into the acc on the coattails of stanford's condoleezza rice & notre dame's athletic director jack swarbrick so we kinda feel like a rescue doggy that got a 2nd chance in life

to be honest with u, as a diehard bears fans that goes to all the games i wuz kinda done with all the pac 12 roadtrips, very excited to visit pittsburgh, winston-salem, dallas & our new arch rivals in tallahassee...florida state is NOT very likable, right?

when you visit berkeley or palo alto, you will find yourself in beautiful stadiums with tens of thousands of open seats so u can move around & friendly fanbases...and great dining of course in san francisco with potential side trips to napa's wine country or the monterrey peninsula for golf if that's ur deal

cal had to give up a significant portion of media revenues for multiple years to get the invitation

how's former cal offensive lineman jackson brown (dad a standout at pitt & later the nfl) doing, has he cracked the 2 deep?

gonna probably be in town flying in from scottsdale thursday & then flying out sunday afternoon

cal fb wuz done forever due to incompetence of our athletic director & the then pac 12 commish but luckily we drafted into the acc on the coattails of stanford's condoleezza rice & notre dame's athletic director jack swarbrick so we kinda feel like a rescue doggy that got a 2nd chance in life

to be honest with u, as a diehard bears fans that goes to all the games i wuz kinda done with all the pac 12 roadtrips, very excited to visit pittsburgh, winston-salem, dallas & our new arch rivals in tallahassee...florida state is NOT very likable, right?

when you visit berkeley or palo alto, you will find yourself in beautiful stadiums with tens of thousands of open seats so u can move around & friendly fanbases...and great dining of course in san francisco with potential side trips to napa's wine country or the monterrey peninsula for golf if that's ur deal

cal had to give up a significant portion of media revenues for multiple years to get the invitation

how's former cal offensive lineman jackson brown (dad a standout at pitt & later the nfl) doing, has he cracked the 2 deep?

Did Cal/Stan want the Big 12? Did the Big 12 want Cal/Stan?

no, calford is too academically snobby for the redneck truck stop conference of the big 12 which prepares its grads for becoming lot lizards with cfm pumps & contagious stds

we've might've walked about from football than join the big 12, seriously

berkeley is very happy to be in the acc with like minded schools!

I think the conference got an absolute steal with you guys and Stanford.

Stay downtown, get dinner downtown on Thursday night. The Hotel Monaco downtown is pretty good, and their attached restaurant (Commoner) is pretty good and convenient if you’re just getting into town, and if the weather’s still good there’s a rooftop beergarden. And it’s about a block away from a train station so it’s super convenient to get over to the stadium on Saturday. Spend Friday morning in the Strip District, Friday afternoon in Oakland, dinner either in Oakland, downtown, or somewhere else in the East End like Lawrenceville, where a lot of the finer dining is. Spend Saturday on the North Shore for the game. Brunch on Sunday and head back to the airport.

when you visit berkeley or palo alto, you will find yourself in beautiful stadiums with tens of thousands of open seats so u can move around
Tens of thousands of open seats ... that is something shared in common with Pitt at Acrisure.

Reactions: shocky5
no, calford is too academically snobby for the redneck truck stop conference of the big 12 which prepares its grads for becoming lot lizards with cfm pumps & contagious stds

Did the Big 12 offer?

Lets say the ACC didnt offer, what does Cal do? What does Stanford do?

I think the conference got an absolute steal with you guys and Stanford.

Stay downtown, get dinner downtown on Thursday night. The Hotel Monaco downtown is pretty good, and their attached restaurant (Commoner) is pretty good and convenient if you’re just getting into town, and if the weather’s still good there’s a rooftop beergarden. And it’s about a block away from a train station so it’s super convenient to get over to the stadium on Saturday. Spend Friday morning in the Strip District, Friday afternoon in Oakland, dinner either in Oakland, downtown, or somewhere else in the East End like Lawrenceville, where a lot of the finer dining is. Spend Saturday on the North Shore for the game. Brunch on Sunday and head back to the airport.

See, if its me, I'm staying on campus. Downtown is downtown. Its not much different that any large-ish midwestern-ish city. If you are a college football fan, you gotta stay on campus. Probably the Oaklander would give you the most Pitt feel. Tour the Cathedral of Learning. Go to Phipps/Carnegie Museum/Soldiers & Sailors if that's your thing. Walk up to the Pete just to see it. Have lunch somewhere on Forbes. All the iconic restaurants are gone now but you can do Primanti's.

Downtown, I'd just do that on gameday. Take the PRT downtown. Lets say its a 3:30 game. Have lunch around Market Square and then walk-over (or ride the T for free). If you are one that likes visiting colleges, I wouldn't spend much time downtown. You will be shocked at the beauty of our urban campus.

sean (used to call him the donut boy of tuscon), why r the iconic restaurants gone?...agreed that staying near campus would give the best visitor experience, exit 5 would be like staying anywhere in the usa with an applebees on the corner

honestly if the acc didn't offer (at vastly reduced revenue flows for years, smu is actually getting zero revenues) both cal & stanford wuz done...my bears would've been relegated to the mountain west conference against mid majors & the fans/donors would've quickly disappeared

the 2024 acc season kinda feels like a 2nd lease on life & the FUN roadtrips like pitt r gonna be lifelong memories

and yeah we all hate florida state, rite?

Reactions: Saboteur II

I consider Pitt to be the lucky ones… getting to associate ourselves with Cal and Stanford is absolutely fantastic.

Also, you might appreciate this: Pitt played on-campus at Pitt Stadium from 1925-1999. It’s almost eerie how similar it looked to Cal’s Memorial Stadium.
Cal-Memorial-Stadium-Facility-Aerial.jpg

68910217_437020493573360_6738695466005110784_n.jpg

I consider Pitt to be the lucky ones… getting to associate ourselves with Cal and Stanford is absolutely fantastic.

Also, you might appreciate this: Pitt played on-campus at Pitt Stadium from 1925-1999. It’s almost eerie how similar it looked to Cal’s Memorial Stadium.
Cal-Memorial-Stadium-Facility-Aerial.jpg

68910217_437020493573360_6738695466005110784_n.jpg

We were stupid and tore it down and now play in a cavernous pro stadium off campus. Cal wasn't stupid enough to think playing in a pro stadium would benefit their program.

sean (used to call him the donut boy of tuscon), why r the iconic restaurants gone?...agreed that staying near campus would give the best visitor experience, exit 5 would be like staying anywhere in the usa with an applebees on the corner

honestly if the acc didn't offer (at vastly reduced revenue flows for years, smu is actually getting zero revenues) both cal & stanford wuz done...my bears would've been relegated to the mountain west conference against mid majors & the fans/donors would've quickly disappeared

the 2024 acc season kinda feels like a 2nd lease on life & the FUN roadtrips like pitt r gonna be lifelong memories

and yeah we all hate florida state, rite?

They would have done MWC but not B12? What about Stanford?

Maybe iconic was too strong of a word. There were a few locally famous restaurants. As to why they are gone? In a nutshell.....rent is too high. Property values in the neighborhood Pitt is in are so high that restaurants and retail dont do well. So then you ask, why dont they lower rent because often these spots go un-rented for extended periods. The answer is, nobody effing knows. It makes no sense. Its one of life's great questions.

Another example is that directly across the street from the Penguins arena, 2 blocks from Duquesne's campus, there are retail spots that have been vacant for 20-30 years it seems. Granted, the area isnt the best but also not too bad. Its on the edge of downtown so not a great locale but if you owned a building, would you make rent so high that you wouldn't lease out your street level retail spots for decades?

They would have done MWC but not B12? What about Stanford?

Maybe iconic was too strong of a word. There were a few locally famous restaurants. As to why they are gone? In a nutshell.....rent is too high. Property values in the neighborhood Pitt is in are so high that restaurants and retail dont do well. So then you ask, why dont they lower rent because often these spots go un-rented for extended periods. The answer is, nobody effing knows. It makes no sense. Its one of life's great questions.

Another example is that directly across the street from the Penguins arena, 2 blocks from Duquesne's campus, there are retail spots that have been vacant for 20-30 years it seems. Granted, the area isnt the best but also not too bad. Its on the edge of downtown so not a great locale but if you owned a building, would you make rent so high that you wouldn't lease out your street level retail spots for decades?

If they lower the rent then it lowers the value they can use on their books. The floor will drop sooner or later.

Hope to make it to a game in Berkeley someday to experience Pitt Stadium again.
Man I was surprised when I took my daughter there as a possible student (she was there 2 years, only white female in their ME class.) but she didn't finish.......been in the gaming software since.
That place was exactly as Pitt Stadium, just as unkempt, with a gorgeous view of the Bay area.
They spent $300 million to fix it.

hail, thx for sharing, both stadiums appear to be designed by the same architect

cal never had the finances to tear down memorial stadium, it wasn't a protection of great architecture thing at all...a really dumb deal with the homeowners in the surrounding hilltops is that the stadium can only be used for cal football games

sean, stanford actually wuz way more adamant about not joining the big 12 than cal, we've just been riding their coattails into the acc

ntop, the renovation wuz because there is an earthquake fault line going directly thru memorial stadium & a retrofit wuz mandated...yeah any of the engineering classes in berkeley are primarily asian students

Last edited:
for those of u interested, here r all the gpas for cal's incoming 2024 football class:

would point out that almost all of the big 12 schools got non existent gpa requirements for football players, cal & stanford wuz never gonna compete in that cesspool against semi pro athletes with minimal academic studies

hail, thx for sharing, both stadiums appear to be designed by the same architect

cal never had the finances to tear down memorial stadium, it wasn't a protection of great architecture thing at all...a really dumb deal with the homeowners in the surrounding hilltops is that the stadium can only be used for cal football games

sean, stanford actually wuz way more adamant about not joining the big 12 than cal, we've just been riding their coattails into the acc

ntop, the renovation wuz because there is an earthquake fault line going directly thru memorial stadium & a retrofit wuz mandated...yeah me classes in berkeley are primarily asian students

A lot of us here felt Stanford would go independent in football and then join a league like the WCC for all other sports than join the B12 or MWC. I sorta felt like Cal would have joined the B12 if offered but then its hard for me to believe they weren't offered but Duplicate Utah was and 2 Arizonas were (didnt need both).

for those of u interested, here r all the gpas for cal's incoming 2024 football class:

would point out that almost all of the big 12 schools got non existent gpa requirements for football players, cal & stanford wuz never gonna compete in that cesspool against semi pro athletes with minimal academic studies
Lets be honest. Every ACC school except possibly Duke and GT are taking football and basketball players who meet the minimum NCAA requirements. Even BC, Wake, UVa, and Pitt. And for GT, they probably take minimum qualifiers too but they dont have blow-off majors. The closest thing to a blow-off major are the business majors but then you are taking Calc, Econ, Finance, Accounting, etc. Its not easy and not something a minimum qualifier would want to get into. In contrast, WVU has a major called Athletic Coaching. Not a minor. Not a certificate program. An actual major. They recently made national headlines for axing like 30% of their fields of study but Athletic Coaching is still going strong.

in that both cal & pitt got the same school colors, it will be interesting to see jersey combos this fall on gameday
Script, too. Along with UCLA/Tulsa/Memphis??

I saw the Pitt v Cal game in 1963. Pitt won 35-6. Cal returned the opening kickoff for a TD and never crossed midfield the rest of the game.

That was the year that Pitt went 9-1, with it’s only loss at Navy to Roger Staubach, and didn’t go to a bowl game because of the combination of the JFK assassination in Dallas, segregation in New Orleans and a hurricane in Miami. Pitt beat Washington, UCLA and Cal that year, and Jim Murray, the LA Times sports columnist, started a campaign to have Pitt be the PAC-8 representative in the Rose Bowl. Oregon State ended up going.

I saw the Pitt v Cal game in 1963. Pitt won 35-6. Cal returned the opening kickoff for a TD and never crossed midfield the rest of the game.

That was the year that Pitt went 9-1, with it’s only loss at Navy to Roger Staubach, and didn’t go to a bowl game because of the combination of the JFK assassination in Dallas, segregation in New Orleans and a hurricane in Miami. Pitt beat Washington, UCLA and Cal that year, and Jim Murray, the LA Times sports columnist, started a campaign to have Pitt be the PAC-8 representative in the Rose Bowl. Oregon State ended up going.
I knew Kenny Lucas, who was the qb on that team. Lived in Greensburg and belonged to GCC. Worked for Ping.

OMG!! I am stealing the line "redneck truck stop conference". I don't think there has been a more accurate description of the Big 12.

See, if its me, I'm staying on campus. Downtown is downtown. Its not much different that any large-ish midwestern-ish city. If you are a college football fan, you gotta stay on campus. Probably the Oaklander would give you the most Pitt feel. Tour the Cathedral of Learning. Go to Phipps/Carnegie Museum/Soldiers & Sailors if that's your thing. Walk up to the Pete just to see it. Have lunch somewhere on Forbes. All the iconic restaurants are gone now but you can do Primanti's.

Downtown, I'd just do that on gameday. Take the PRT downtown. Lets say its a 3:30 game. Have lunch around Market Square and then walk-over (or ride the T for free). If you are one that likes visiting colleges, I wouldn't spend much time downtown. You will be shocked at the beauty of our urban campus.
Ummm....I am sorry, Pittsburgh is quite different from most midwestern cities. It is one of the more unique cities in the nation with the rivers and topography.

Ummm....I am sorry, Pittsburgh is quite different from most midwestern cities. It is one of the more unique cities in the nation with the rivers and topography.

Ok, but I meant like when you are in downtown Pittsburgh, it doesnt look much different than Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, or Indianapolis

And the Army/Navy game was played in Philly, as usual. Good game....I was with my GF, her brother was a Middie who tutored Roger in Math. 100K......zero amenities.

A lot of us here felt Stanford would go independent in football and then join a league like the WCC for all other sports than join the B12 or MWC. I sorta felt like Cal would have joined the B12 if offered but then its hard for me to believe they weren't offered but Duplicate Utah was and 2 Arizonas were (didnt need both).
Stanford going indy? I don't recall any talk like that. The Stanford/Cal rivalry is as nasty as USC/UCLA.

ntop, ucla's colors are a lighter shade of blue

pitt & cal along with west virginia seem to have darker blues & gold (which for us has become more electric yellow over time)

the stanford/cal rivalry to be honest with you is very cordial, the fans of both schools are very respectful to one another at the big game

the pac 12 rival cal hated wuz usc, now florida state is gonna take that slot...can't wait for our roadtrip to tallahassee this fall!

pitt & cal along with west virginia seem to have darker blues & gold (which for us has become more electric yellow over time)

the stanford/cal rivalry to be honest with you is very cordial, the fans of both schools are very respectful to one another at the big game

the pac 12 rival cal hated wuz usc, now florida state is gonna take that slot...can't wait for our roadtrip to tallahassee this fall!

This is incredible lol

Pitt's shade of blue is somewhere between Cal and UCLA. Their shade of gold is more like Cal for sure though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT