ADVERTISEMENT

Can you kick onside after a Safety?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Might be wrong but I think you can. Although the chances of recovery, TD, 2 points, recovery, TD, 2 points are about .001%, we were still only down 2 scores so I didn't like kicking it away there.

Might be wrong but I think you can. Although the chances of recovery, TD, 2 points, recovery, TD, 2 points are about .001%, we were still only down 2 scores so I didn't like kicking it away there.
I'm not a referee, but I think that you can. I'd say that because the kick after a safety is a "free kick", so it's probably legal.

But you'd be taking a huge risk because if you don't recover it, you've given-up deadly field position.

Reactions: jayhawks65

Pretty sure the way it works is you have a choice of the punter punting from that spot of the kicker kicking off. And yes if its a kickoff you can try an onside kick.
Also if you noticed on that play the PSU team had all their "hands" guys up front so they were thinking it as well.

I'm not a referee, but I think that you can. I'd say that because the kick after a safety is a "free kick", so it's probably legal.

But you'd be taking a huge risk because if you don't recover it, you've given-up deadly field position.

Of course, but kicking it away meant you conceded the game. Recovering the onside kick meant you still have a miniscule chance. Losing 37-14 or 33-14 isnt much of a difference except for the folks in Vegas.

I think as bad as the field position was all day, it wouldn't have been too smart to try it in that spot. You're essentially conceding at least three points if it fails and the probability of failure is way too high.

My high school coach actually instructed us to do that once, counting on the element of surprise (I think it was a spur-of-the moment impulse). It backfired on us (we didn't recover the kick, and the opponent took advantage of the resulting short field to score a quick TD). He was fired after that season.

Reactions: Stemfu
Yes - PSU tried an onside kick after a safety in the 2014 Michigan game.

That was with under a minute left. Even down 2 scores, I don't think an onside kick was the right move for Pittsburgh, however. Still 6:00 left. Play to get a stop.

You're just asking this now?

I mentioned it during the break in the gameday thread, was mildly surprised they didn't go that option

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT