ADVERTISEMENT

Day after game thoughts

NCanton Panther

All American
Sep 22, 2001
Short n sweet, only have 2 comments:

1. Wasn’t on the board during the game and haven’t gone thru the game thread to see what everyone’s thoughts were on the decision to go for 2. I sure hope no one would agree with or could justify that decision. And to add insult to injury, with 5 minutes left and down by 1 TD, they even wasted a timeout to attempt that 2-pt conversion.

2. More a question related to that blindside block penalty on C’bo after Yarnell’s run at or close to the 1st down line down by Duke’s end zone. I was surprised that penalty was marked off from the original LOS as opposed to where it happened at the end of the run. That ended up being big, almost as big of a turning point as Junko’s shanked punt.

Short n sweet, only have 2 comments:

1. Wasn’t on the board during the game and haven’t gone thru the game thread to see what everyone’s thoughts were on the decision to go for 2. I sure hope no one would agree with or could justify that decision. And to add insult to injury, with 5 minutes left and down by 1 TD, they even wasted a timeout to attempt that 2-pt conversion.

2. More a question related to that blindside block penalty on C’bo after Yarnell’s run at or close to the 1st down line down by Duke’s end zone. I was surprised that penalty was marked off from the original LOS as opposed to where it happened at the end of the run. That ended up being big, almost as big of a turning point as Junko’s shanked punt.

I agree with #1 but I guess it is an analytics thing that says going for 2 gives you the best chance for a win. I would have kicked also

I also believe the OL, even though they had some injuries sucked all year before injuries and after as well

I also believe the OL, even though they had some injuries sucked all year before injuries and after as well
I’d like to see how many lineups they used. Even bad lines improve when there’s continuity. Pitt had none of that this season.

I have zero problem going for two in theory. But...

1) Mumpfield and Means - your best two receivers - were both out of the game with injuries.

2) As soon as there was pre-snap confusion you have to take the 5 yard penalty and kick it. You absolutely cannot burn a timeout there. As I said in the game thread, I wouldn't have even traded that timeout for a free two points, much less two points I had to earn.

Do you think that game was winnable yesterday?
Yes, if we throw more. Maybe our TE holds on to the TD, he should have.

Their QB made 2 huge completions where when the ball was in the air, I felt good about our chances.

He made that great play while being tackled.

We did not get close to average punting.

We made very poor judgements returning a number of kicks.

Play them again, it would be winnable Again. With the way we played this season, we probably lose.

Last edited:
I agree with #1 but I guess it is an analytics thing that says going for 2 gives you the best chance for a win. I would have kicked also
For that particular case, I don’t think the analytics would say going for 2 gives you the best chance for a win. You need 1 2-ptr and one 1-ptr to win regardless.

About all you can say is that if you know you want to go for 2 to get a win, trying it on that 1st TD at least gives you a chance to try it again on the 2nd TD to salvage the tie. Otherwise, getting the sure 1 on the 1st TD and then going for 2 on the 2nd, that’s a W or L situation.

Yes, if we throw more.

Their QB made 2 huge completions where when the ball was in the air, I felt good about our chances.

He made that great play while being tackled.

We did not get close to average punting.

We made very poor judgements returning a number of kicks.

Play them again, it would be winnable. With the way we played this season, we probably lose.
I was wondering what we were doing returning kicks. I watched the OSU-MUCH game live and then the Pitt game recorded after the fact. I kept fast forwarding after every Duke score and got back to the game play after the KO with Pitt at a LOS around the 5-15 yard line or otherwise well short of the touchback 25-yard line. I kept thinking what are we continually screwing up on the return. But never bothered to rewind to find out.

Reactions: gary2
For that particular case, I don’t think the analytics would say going for 2 gives you the best chance for a win. You need 1 2-ptr and one 1-ptr to win regardless.

About all you can say is that if you know you want to go for 2 to get a win, trying it on that 1st TD at least gives you a chance to try it again on the 2nd TD to salvage the tie. Otherwise, getting the sure 1 on the 1st TD and then going for 2 on the 2nd, that’s a W or L situation.

I assume the analytics shows you have a better chance of winning getting a 2-point conversion, then an extra point rather than two extra points and then having to win in overtime. Again, not sure I agree with the strategy, but the data are the data.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT