ADVERTISEMENT

Cant make this up

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Another reason I am lobbying for UEFA membership. Guess who the USMNT play this June? El Salvador and Grenada in the friggin Nations League. The US plays too nice with CONCACAF. They should have suspended this tournament until after the World Cup. The US doesn't need this. Why even send the 1st Team to these matches and risk injury?

Another reason I am lobbying for UEFA membership. Guess who the USMNT play this June? El Salvador and Grenada in the friggin Nations League. The US plays too nice with CONCACAF. They should have suspended this tournament until after the World Cup. The US doesn't need this. Why even send the 1st Team to these matches and risk injury?

You send the first team because those guys need to play games together.

Plus those are not the only games that they are going to play in that window. The rumor was that Argentina was coming to the US to play both us and Mexico, but that might be off now that Mexico and Argentina got drawn into the same group. Latest rumor I heard is that Uruguay is going to be one of those two games now.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

Plus those are not the only games that they are going to play in that window. The rumor was that Argentina was coming to the US to play both us and Mexico, but that might be off now that Mexico and Argentina got drawn into the same group. Latest rumor I heard is that Uruguay is going to be one of those two games now.
Grenada isnt as good as Pitt. Not sure its worth it to send them out on the field. They can scrimmage a college team in a more controlled environment....or maybe the highly paid women's team.

Grenada isnt as good as Pitt. Not sure its worth it to send them out on the field. They can scrimmage a college team in a more controlled environment....or maybe the highly paid women's team.
if Ukraine fails to qualify, which they likely won’t, bring them over here, schedule a match in the Rose Bowl and send the proceeds to those impacted by Putin’s invasion.

Reactions: mike412

That’s a shame. When we discussed that last week, we were excited about Messi and Argentina playing two games in sold out American stadiums. Now we get Uruguay. Which is fine I suppose.

That’s a shame. When we discussed that last week, we were excited about Messi and Argentina playing two games in sold out American stadiums. Now we get Uruguay. Which is fine I suppose.

It seems really lazy to play Uruguay twice. In an important summer for the WC prep and for fan excitement, we have 4 games against ES, Grenada, and Uruguay twice. Sounds about right for CONCACAF and US Soccer. Someone get UEFA on the horn

It seems really lazy to play Uruguay twice. In an important summer for the WC prep and for fan excitement, we have 4 games against ES, Grenada, and Uruguay twice. Sounds about right for CONCACAF and US Soccer. Someone get UEFA on the horn
Listen, I’m under the belief that chemistry can be gained playing inferior teams. My varsity and JV scrimmaged all the time. There’s a place for that. But, that concacaf group that we are in this summer doesn’t have a team that will play attacking soccer, and we need a team that isn’t going to sit behind the ball because no team that we play in Qatar is going to be afraid of us. Not one. Even Iran will play attacking soccer. Pretty sure Uruguay will attack though and it’s fine that we play them twice.

Listen, I’m under the belief that chemistry can be gained playing inferior teams. My varsity and JV scrimmaged all the time. There’s a place for that. But, that concacaf group that we are in this summer doesn’t have a team that will play attacking soccer, and we need a team that isn’t going to sit behind the ball because no team that we play in Qatar is going to be afraid of us. Not one. Even Iran will play attacking soccer. Pretty sure Uruguay will attack though and it’s fine that we play them twice.
Arab teams other than Egypt don't have goal scorers. Iran is going to defend for 90 minutes like Algeria and hope to win 1-0.

Arab teams other than Egypt don't have goal scorers. Iran is going to defend for 90 minutes like Algeria and hope to win 1-0.
That’s a misnomer about Iran. I read up on them a bit. They are not going to sit behind the ball. And they also have a #9 who leads a decent league in goals. Not like Pefok leading the Swiss league.

It seems really lazy to play Uruguay twice.

I wonder, do you know that all of the European teams are playing, wait for it, four Nations League games in the June window? So literally no European teams are available to play in June.

If you exclude all the European teams and Mexico the number of teams in the world ranked higher than Uruguay is two.

So tell us all, who, exactly, was the US supposed to get that would be significantly better than playing Uruguay?

I wonder, do you know that all of the European teams are playing, wait for it, four Nations League games in the June window? So literally no European teams are available to play in June.

If you exclude all the European teams and Mexico the number of teams in the world ranked higher than Uruguay is two.

So tell us all, who, exactly, was the US supposed to get that would be significantly better than playing Uruguay?
Ghana, Senegal, Egypt, etc

You cannot seriously believe that any of those teams are better than Uruguay, can you?
Plus I can’t imagine the cost of bringing them over here to play, given the womens team is taking all that money now. ;). And I doubt their programs are swimming in money.

but seriously, Uruguay coming and playing two matches makes all the sense in the world.

No. They are better than ES and Grenada. We should send our B team in for those or just forfeit them. Maybe if we forfeit them, they'll kick us out of CONCACAF.
That’s funny.

but I also find it funny that you won’t spend $10 per month on a premium membership here, but you’re happy to spend other peoples money. I’d love to play Senegal. But who’s gonna foot the bill?

That’s funny.

but I also find it funny that you won’t spend $10 per month on a premium membership here, but you’re happy to spend other peoples money. I’d love to play Senegal. But who’s gonna foot the bill?
Who's going to foot the bill? Are you serious? How bout the 30K-50K fans who would come to watch the game? Or ESPN for televising it? Or the vast surplus amount the USSF has

No, THAT'S GOOD, you send the FIRST TEAM, ALL OF THEM because they need to play together in serious games where the opponents PLAY HARD!!! The USAMNT A TEAM .... NEEDS THIS!!! And hopefully there's never any BS like joining UEFA EVER... because USA is NOT IN EUROPE. Great I'm looking forward to these games, thanks. No need for the USAMNT to become Kenny Pickett and avoid playing to not risk injury, they need LIVE GAMES to prepare for the WC. What a bunch of crap! LOL :)

No, THAT'S GOOD, you send the FIRST TEAM, ALL OF THEM because they need to play together in serious games where the opponents PLAY HARD!!! The USAMNT A TEAM .... NEEDS THIS!!! And hopefully there's never any BS like joining UEFA EVER... because USA is NOT IN EUROPE. Great I'm looking forward to these games, thanks. No need for the USAMNT to become Kenny Pickett and avoid playing to not risk injury, they need LIVE GAMES to prepare for the WC. What a bunch of crap! LOL :)

I'd rather they stay home and scrimmage a college team in a controlled environment. Better competition

Who's going to foot the bill? Are you serious? How bout the 30K-50K fans who would come to watch the game? Or ESPN for televising it? Or the vast surplus amount the USSF has
If you’re running a business, it’s pretty easy to see how a Uruguay 2 game set works best.

If you’re running a business, it’s pretty easy to see how a Uruguay 2 game set works best.

In fact the answer to the question in the tweet you posted about where the games should be played is that one of them should be played in LA and the other should be played in New York, and they should stuff as many people in those stadiums as they can at whatever ridiculously high prices that people will pay.

Playing Uruguay is fine. I dont love playing them twice but if we have to, we have to. I am opposed to playing El Salvador and Grenada in one of the only pre-WC windows. Why should we? Because CONCACAF said so? Eff them. What are they going to? Kick us out? Good. Fine us? Big deal.

• Haha
No worries. Looks like in addition to uruguay, there are discussions about a match vs Ghana. I prefer Senegal myself, but Ghana could be good if they can get things negotiated. June looks tight so maybe this can get scheduled overseas in September. That’s my hope.

No worries. Looks like in addition to uruguay, there are discussions about a match vs Ghana. I prefer Senegal myself, but Ghana could be good if they can get things negotiated. June looks tight so maybe this can get scheduled overseas in September. That’s my hope.

My guess is that because Senegal is a possible round of 16 opponent they wouldn't want to play them in a friendly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT