ADVERTISEMENT

Tepper not putting in temporary grass for Messi

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

This is an interesting debate as there are many different angles to this and since Tepper is a Pitt guy and Messi is one of the 2 most popular humans, I figured it would be fun to see what everyone thinks

- Messi doesn't want to play on turf. The soccer world outside the US looks down on it and feels there is too much of an injury risk even if there really isnt much difference (Im guessing).

- Charlotte has sold all 75K seats for their October 21st home game. BTW, Pitt football travels to Wake Forest the same day. If Messi plays, I may do both as I imagine Pitt/Wake will be noon.

- Charlotte installed temporary grass for their friendly vs Chelsea last year

- Why does Charlotte even have turf anyway? They always had a very nice grass surface but then Tepper buys a soccer team and changes it to turf? Grass is more important to soccer than any other sport. I couldn't believe that was turf at the 2021 ACC Championship. I kept looking at it, trying to figure it out. I'm thinking it cant possibly be since they have a soccer team starting soon.

- Messi hasnt said for sure he wont play

Does Tepper have a responsibility to the 75K people who bought tickets? For those who say no, remember he installed grass for Chelsea and they routinely install grass for international games. The USMNT just played there on grass 2 weeks ago.

They never should’ve installed turf there. I don’t think he has a responsibility either way for this game. However, the relative cost to put grass in versus making your entire fanbase mad, it’d probably be worthwhile.

They never should’ve installed turf there. I don’t think he has a responsibility either way for this game. However, the relative cost to put grass in versus making your entire fanbase mad, it’d probably be worthwhile.

Yea, totally dont understand why he installed a turf surface when he bought a soccer team. You would think the opposite would be true. Buying a soccer team should make turf owners switch to grass.

It made no sense for the Panthers either.
I’m counting down the days until the NFL mandates natural grass playing surfaces in all of their stadiums. With the technology we have nowadays, there’s no reason why they can’t be maintained everywhere. We don’t need anymore preventable non-contact injuries, and I personally like the way grass looks compared to turf. Just my opinion, of course.

Reactions: Burgh15
I’m counting down the days until the NFL mandates natural grass playing surfaces in all of their stadiums. With the technology we have nowadays, there’s no reason why they can’t be maintained everywhere. We don’t need anymore preventable non-contact injuries, and I personally like the way grass looks compared to turf. Just my opinion, of course.
Natural grass looks better 100% of the time and if you believe otherwise you're wrong, ;)

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT