ADVERTISEMENT

Capel

Bethlehemjohn

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2001
At this point, anyone who wants him gone is just not very smart. Yeah, maybe he isn’t great at running an offense and just let’s the players play. However, you cannot complain about too much other than that. This team has really grown up in just a few weeks and that is all coaching.

It is also why you don’t give up on a team after 10 games. Especially now with NIL and at least 50% turnover of rosters each year. Young teams will get better and so will teams with new players that need to jell.

The last two years it is has taken time for the teams to gel. But once they have it’s a great thing to watch. The previous years they were improved versus stallings product but just never fully materialized. Don’t over look Louisville, but exciting.

The last two years it is has taken time for the teams to gel. But once they have it’s a great thing to watch. The previous years they were improved versus stallings product but just never fully materialized. Don’t over look Louisville, but exciting.
But but Barnes said we're above the noise and Turner 🙄🙄

That will never happen. Not unless we get 3-4 more Bickell’s. It’s called the Chris Bickell head football coach for a reason.

It will never happen because FB makes 3x-4x(or more) what BB makes in profit. Then there's the minor fact that most of the athletic donations come from football fans.

Thankfully our administration is smarter than our BB fans.

BB is funded as well as or better than FB when you consider everything.

It will never happen because FB makes 3x-4x(or more) what BB makes in profit. Then there's the minor fact that most of the athletic donations come from football fans.

If you "give up" on football, whatever that would look like, you are going to find that before too long a lot of the money that you want to spend on basketball isn't actually there any more.

Capel has done a really good job pushing the right buttons. He has brought in talent here. The last couple years he has molded that talent and coupled it with quality team chemistry. I think, even tho he has coached quite a while, he has learned what it takes to win here. I am most impressed with the energy level of the program right now. These kids trust and believe him.
It all started with that win in Cameron indoor. I remember commenting on how he and the staff were up out of their seats more and were far more engaged and doing more teaching. Credit Capel and staff for this incredible run we are on. Road wins in this conference just aren't that easy.

Basketball team goes 16-8 (which is 8-4 × 2): "Let's devote all our resources toward THIS program. Those other bums just go 8-4."

Reactions: rockypanther
At this point, anyone who wants him gone is just not very smart. Yeah, maybe he isn’t great at running an offense and just let’s the players play. However, you cannot complain about too much other than that. This team has really grown up in just a few weeks and that is all coaching.

It is also why you don’t give up on a team after 10 games. Especially now with NIL and at least 50% turnover of rosters each year. Young teams will get better and so will teams with new players that need to jell.

It's stupid to consider a coaching change at this point.

He has to coach with more sense of urgency though, and they absolutely have to start jell quicker in future years.

Basketball team goes 16-8 (which is 8-4 × 2): "Let's devote all our resources toward THIS program. Those other bums just go 8-4."

Definitely. Forget the football. Take the NIL from football and use it to keep this team together for next year. The football team doesn't have one player worth using NIL in order to keep them around. This Pitt hoops team has some serious potential heading into the post season and next year. Just keep winning like they're capable of doing and the rest will take care of itself.

We can beat anyone in the ACC. I hope we prove that in the ACCT.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
OrwardIt's stupid to consider a coaching change at this point.

He has to coach with more sense of urgency though, and they absolutely have to start jell quicker in future years.
Dixon used to redshirt freshman to get them ready. Capel didn't have that luxury. Give him credit for recruiting them here and letting them feel their way along. I think he has done a great job with them, as Lowe and Bub have been a big reason why this team has made massive strides forward.

Reactions: pierre93
Yah, because we can easily go out and get a coach who can make us so much better than we have looked the last month.
he’s signed for at least 3 more seasons. Extending any coach making a ton of $ when it looks like player unionization and paying players out of TV $ is coming soon would be short sighted for any school. Coaching salaries and coaching staff sizes will be the first cuts.

he’s signed for at least 3 more seasons. Extending any coach making a ton of $ when it looks like player unionization and paying players out of TV $ is coming soon would be short sighted for any school. Coaching salaries and coaching staff sizes will be the first cuts.
My blow, forgot he was signed for 3 more yet!

See you Saturday?

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
Yeah, you extend him out for another three years and then next year we have a bad season and we are all left wondering how we are going to pay off the remaining five years on his contract.
Coaches all across the country are seeing their contracts being played out to 1 year now. Hell, Harbaugh was basically on that after Covid year.

Obviously it’s been a roller coaster with Capel. I think that what’s been the most enticing and at the same time the most frustrating thing about him as a HC is his offensive model…..he wants really good guards that control the game. And we have seen many a top caliber tournament team thrive on guard play. If he has top caliber talent at guard, his teams can be tough….as we saw with X and MCGowens, however, if the guard play is poor, the team just doesn’t click. If he can keep this set of guards together a couple of years, get a horse up front, develop Cummings and bring in Meleek Thomas, he just may have something really cooking…or at least that’s my dream scenario.

That will never happen. Not unless we get 3-4 more Bickell’s. It’s called the Chris Bickell head football coach for a reason.

God Bless Chris Bickell for throwing money at a lost cause but wished he'd wake up one day and realize he can probably buy us a Final Four in hoops and football can go 6-6 without him.

14 months ago: "We need to drop dahn to D7 in basketball! Take a wreckin' ball to the Pete (we'll show you brick by brick, ya joker), build a new football stadium, n' make the fraudster Capels play at some inner-city court... one with lots of cracks! If they had souls they would donate their entire paychecks to local charities or businesses struggling after Covid. They are robbing this university blind! I never thought I would say this, but I am going to light my degree on fire if he's still here next month."

We make a tournament we should be making 50% of the time anyway, as one of the last four teams in, and then play our way to being in the conversation for the bubble, as Capel improves his overall record to a robust 91-89: "I don't see any reason why we can't win a natty. I better not see a dime go into football! Not a god damn dime! Let's lay some hardwood on 5th Avenue to let everyone know we're a hoops school now, fellas! Anybody know of an open broom closet we can move Narduzzi's office into? Canned ravioli only for all football players... so help me Capel if I even catch one of them eating anything fancier than that. Lifetime... no, no... ETERNAL contract for Jeff Capel! Stop paying Nardumpster and see if that buffoon even notices."

Like, we can't just call it a good win and see what else happens?

It's stupid to consider a coaching change at this point.

That is not something a coach can rush, especially with young guards.

Pitt football may end in the top of a lower tier (if the Big 10 and SEC make a new non NCAA league) and I have no clue how people would react. Or we could get into a new higher tier but never be able to compete with Alabama and get less easy wins. Footballs future is harder to predict.

Hoops is easier. The NCAA directly owns the post season. March Madness is going no where. And because it's less expensive to compete on, I truly believe Pitt can win a national title there if the stars align.

Man some posters are just ignorant. Basketball brings no revenue to a school, never has. End of December, fools wanted Capel fired, they never should have torn down Pitt stadium, and all the other crap you same posters was saying. You all act like 12 year old kids. Pitt boosters paid basketball players in the past, think Smith, Lane, Gore, Martin, Shorter, Brookins, etc. And those players were 10 times the players on this team.

Now how many titles did they win? And you people now think that somehow after a good stretch of games, to pour more money that they can win? Just stupid.

Man some posters are just ignorant. Basketball brings no revenue to a school, never has. End of December, fools wanted Capel fired, they never should have torn down Pitt stadium, and all the other crap you same posters was saying. You all act like 12 year old kids. Pitt boosters paid basketball players in the past, think Smith, Lane, Gore, Martin, Shorter, Brookins, etc. And those players were 10 times the players on this team.

Now how many titles did they win? And you people now think that somehow after a good stretch of games, to pour more money that they can win? Just stupid.
This is objectively untrue. Pitt reported about $2M in profit from men’s basketball in 2021-22 - a season where, if you recall, we won fewer than ten games and played in a mostly empty Petersen Events Center. Pitt basketball turns a profit at a similar percentage to Pitt football during the ACC championship season - Pitt football makes more profit and more revenue, but also spends 4x as much as Pitt basketball. They both turn a profit at about 20% above expenses.

And that $2M in profit for basketball is including the “expense” of athlete financial aid - a completely fake expense that shouldn’t count against any program’s expenses. And it doesn’t include the revenue from men’s basketball that can be attributed to the ACC’s revenue distribution, which is typically regarded as being between 25% and 33% of the total.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
This is objectively untrue. Pitt reported about $2M in profit from men’s basketball in 2021-22 - a season where, if you recall, we won fewer than ten games and played in a mostly empty Petersen Events Center. Pitt basketball turns a profit at a similar percentage to Pitt football during the ACC championship season - Pitt football makes more profit and more revenue, but also spends 4x as much as Pitt basketball. They both turn a profit at about 20% above expenses.

And that $2M in profit for basketball is including the “expense” of athlete financial aid - a completely fake expense that shouldn’t count against any program’s expenses. And it doesn’t include the revenue from men’s basketball that can be attributed to the ACC’s revenue distribution, which is typically regarded as being between 25% and 33% of the total.
What teams spend doesn't matter when you're comparing profits.

Football has made $41m more than BB in profit over the last 20 years. That's including the golden days of Pitt basketball playing in a shiny new on campus arena, and some terrible football years. The number has been 3-4x over the last handful of years.

Also, a majority of Panther Club donations come from football season ticket and parking donations. That's not debatable.

The total impact on the athletic department from football (when including everything) is likely 5x that of basketball. And that's a very conservative guess.

So we can stop this silliness and understand that good FB and BB programs are what is best for Pitt athletics. Not defunding one to prop up the other.

Football has made $41m more than BB in profit over the last 20 years. That's including the golden days of Pitt basketball playing in a shiny new on campus arena, and some terrible football years. The number has been 3-4x over the last handful of years.

Also, a majority of Panther Club donations come from football season ticket and parking donations. That's not debatable.

The total impact on the athletic department from football (when including everything) is likely 5x that of basketball. And that's a very conservative guess.

So we can stop this silliness and understand that good FB and BB programs are what is best for Pitt athletics. Not defunding one to prop up the other.
Sure, I am not debating any of that. And I agree broadly with your last paragraph. But the post I was responding to indicated that Pitt basketball does not generate revenue for Pitt athletics, which is not true.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga

A lot of what Pitt football makes is simply for fielding a team: TV revenue and CFP revenue. And yea, I know that's because the sport is more popular than basketball but its not so much of Pitt football "earning" that much more than Pitt football but being in a system that distributes a larger share of revenue. The systems arent the same. Its almost like saying soccer is more popular than football in the US because the USMNT generates more revenue than USA Basketball.

I am simply amazed by the number of people who seem to think that the total number of wins that the athletic department gets in a year is a set number, and that you can simply take some from one team and assign them to another.

If we suck at football that will in no way, shape or form help the basketball team win. In fact it would probably be a small net negative. If we win at volleyball or soccer that doesn't stop us from winning at football or basketball too. We didn't have to go 3-9 in football to balance out the volleyball team going to the Final Four.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT