ADVERTISEMENT

Carr, Stevenson, Stewart, Davis is the best.....

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Freshman Foursome at Pitt since?

We have some talented freshmen and that has kept me interested.

Carr has star potential
Stevenson is a grinder
Stewart can knock down 3s if he's open
Davis had been way better than anyone thought. I was first thinking Wright or Jones but he may have a career as good as Antonio Graves, another late-bloomer

Just need a big man

And even so, what other coach had 9 open positions to recruit?

And even so, what other coach had 9 open positions to recruit?

Not many. I am simply asking the question. Answer it if you like.

I don't need to see them play against ACC teams. They are freshmen and will have some bad games. There is no reason to deny that these kids can really play. Don't worry, you can hare hate Stallings and still admit that.

Its a moot question because no freshman foursome in recent history will log the number of minutes that carr, davis, stewart, and Stevenson will combine to log. Young started as a freshman, but artis jones and newkirk will role players. its hard to see how good any of these guys would have been if they got the amount of playing time that the current group is getting

Reactions: Jpripper88
The only reason that they look impressive is because they HAVE to play. If those 4 guys came in for the 2015 year for example, Carr would get time over jones for sure, but Stevenson, Davis, and Stewart would not have been playing significant minutes at all.

I get you have this agenda this is an amazing class, but on a good team Stewart and Davis probably RS, while Stevenson MAY see some time...however, I don’t think Stevenson would have taken minutes from jeter.

Wanamaker, Blair, McGhee were true freshmen in the 2008 season and Gil Brown was a RS freshman.

Wanamaker, Blair, McGhee (I think Diggs was in there too as a JC) turned out to be an excellent class but McGhee was Terrell Brown-level as a frosh and Brad looked real bad. Not sure he was even Kham Davis level at that point.

Wanamaker, Blair, McGhee (I think Diggs was in there too as a JC) turned out to be an excellent class but McGhee was Terrell Brown-level as a frosh and Brad looked real bad. Not sure he was even Kham Davis level at that point.

I definitely noted the irony that Wanamaker/McGhee looked pretty pedestrian as freshmen while Young/Artis were immediate contributors, while Wanamaker/McGhee won the Big East in probably its hardest year ever and Young/Artis finished 4-14. That's why threads like this are really stupid. Sports are wild.

Reactions: Ski11585

I don't need to see them play against ACC teams. They are freshmen and will have some bad games. There is no reason to deny that these kids can really play. Don't worry, you can hare hate Stallings and still admit that.

I think Young/Artis/Newkirk/Uchebo were better, even if Uchebo couldn't walk. I think if those 3 ahead of Uchebo were getting these minutes, on this team, they'd look better than Carr/Stevenson/Stewart etc.

Reactions: Chescat
I definitely noted the irony that Wanamaker/McGhee looked pretty pedestrian as freshmen while Young/Artis were immediate contributors, while Wanamaker/McGhee won the Big East in probably its hardest year ever and Young/Artis finished 4-14. That's why threads like this are really stupid. Sports are wild.

Good point, but with the higher player transfer rate, it seems like you need immediate contributors more than you used to even if you're not at a Pitt level debacle of a reboot.

I think Young/Artis/Newkirk/Uchebo were better, even if Uchebo couldn't walk. I think if those 3 ahead of Uchebo were getting these minutes, on this team, they'd look better than Carr/Stevenson/Stewart etc.

Uchebo was a sophomore so I dont count him.

You make a good case though. Young and Artis may have looked really good having these roles as freshmen. Newkirk might have looked good also but he's not on Carr's level.

I'll say one thing, maybe, this team is refreshing to watch. Last year was ugly, pro tryout year. These kids have some height and talent. Lets see if they get better toward the end of the year, that's the mark of a well coached team. We lose by 15, I'll be happy, if not I'll wait for them to mature.

Last edited:
I'll say one thing, maybe, this team is refreshing to watch. Last year was ugly, pro tryout year. These kids have some height and talent. Lets see if they get better toward the end of the year, that's the mark of a well coached team. We se by 15, I'll be happy, if not I'll wait for them to mature.
It was refreshing to watch a 15 point lead evaporate and get pushed to ot by mt st Mary’s.

Reactions: rockypanther

Carr has star potential
Stevenson is a grinder
Davis had been way better than anyone thought. I was first thinking Wright or Jones but he may have a career as good as Antonio Graves, another late-bloomer

Just need a big man
Considering our program hasn't been so bad 4 freshman could get significant playing time this millennium, I think you may be right.

Carr has star potential
Stevenson is a grinder

Just need a big man

Is your point that these four will have the best combined freshman season of any four?

Or are you saying this freshman group will be the best by the time they are seniors?

Perhaps you are just suggesting that this is the most talented quartet?

Which is it?

Carr has star potential
Stevenson is a grinder

Just need a big man

Is your point that these four will have the best combined freshman season of any four?

Or are you saying this freshman group will be the best by the time they are seniors?

Perhaps you are just suggesting that this is the most talented quartet?

Which is it?

These freshmen vs any other freshmen group during their freshmen year. And I'm not looking at stats or how the players progressed. Just using your totally subjective opinions. Like the Blair, McGhee, Wanamaker group turned out to be the best probably bus as freshmen, I'd take Carr, Stewart, and Davis over McGhee and Wanamaker mostly because as freshmen I didn't think those 2 were any good. BTW, Carr does have a little Brad in him. He playmakes from the 2 spot just like Brad and is a good finisher.

These freshmen vs any other freshmen group during their freshmen year. And I'm not looking at stats or how the players progressed. Just using your totally subjective opinions. Like the Blair, McGhee, Wanamaker group turned out to be the best probably bus as freshmen, I'd take Carr, Stewart, and Davis over McGhee and Wanamaker mostly because as freshmen I didn't think those 2 were any good. BTW, Carr does have a little Brad in him. He playmakes from the 2 spot just like Brad and is a good finisher.

That is beyond asinine.

I'll wait till the year is over to address the question.

At this point in time I think there’s a lot of potential in these freshman . Are they comparable to the freshman at Duke or Kentucky , of course not , but Pitt isn’t D or K . Seeing the court early can expose the holes in your game and playing against older players even from schools like Montana and Navy can be a struggle for an 18 yr old .
Carr looks to be the best guard in a Pitt uniform in quite awhile . Stevenson reminds me of a young Jerome Lane . Davis’s play gets better every game and Stewart’s shot looks for real . Brown needs seasoning , but I see something there also . Almost all freshman struggle and unfortunately they don’t have more experienced upperclassman to rely on .
Unless Pitts next HC is a major player Pitts just not going to get transformational freshman and expecting them to do so is irrational . All of you who constantly bash these players explain to the rest of us why any elite or highly ranked kid is coming to Pitt in this current enviorment . To play in front of 2200 fans or because he fell in love with the female in the zoos screaming voice ? If your elite PT is available at Duke you don’t need to come to Pitt to see PT .
Respectability is a few seasons away and if you don’t have patience you need to find another diversion !

Reactions: Chescat
At this point in time I think there’s a lot of potential in these freshman . Are they comparable to the freshman at Duke or Kentucky , of course not , but Pitt isn’t D or K . Seeing the court early can expose the holes in your game and playing against older players even from schools like Montana and Navy can be a struggle for an 18 yr old .
Carr looks to be the best guard in a Pitt uniform in quite awhile . Stevenson reminds me of a young Jerome Lane . Davis’s play gets better every game and Stewart’s shot looks for real . Brown needs seasoning , but I see something there also . Almost all freshman struggle and unfortunately they don’t have more experienced upperclassman to rely on .
Unless Pitts next HC is a major player Pitts just not going to get transformational freshman and expecting them to do so is irrational . All of you who constantly bash these players explain to the rest of us why any elite or highly ranked kid is coming to Pitt in this current enviorment . To play in front of 2200 fans or because he fell in love with the female in the zoos screaming voice ? If your elite PT is available at Duke you don’t need to come to Pitt to see PT .
Respectability is a few seasons away and if you don’t have patience you need to find another diversion !

Glad you got what you wanted! Are you enjoying stallings because he is more “fun.”

I am not sure about comparing those 4 with prior classes because it is so early into their careers here at Pitt.

But I will say that I think the 4 have potential and are ACC players. They will certainly take their lumps this year in ACC play and at times will probably look like players that don't belong in the ACC. But I think each are ACC players who will get better and be a solid nucleus if they stay together.

Reactions: gary2
Glad you got what you wanted! Are you enjoying stallings because he is more “fun.”
I’m actually enjoying Stallings right now only because I think he’s compiled a better roster for this year than Jamie ever would have been able to. It still needs improved on, with a big man or 2 and a backup PG being the biggest needs, but still better than what I think Jamie would have been able to put together.

Of course, if we had hired someone other than Stallings when Jamie moved on, that person may have been able to recruit better, but that’s even more conjecture depending on who that guy may or could have been. Right now it’s just my conjecture of what we would have had for a roster Jamie vs Stallings.

Any class that includes Dejuan Blair has to get the nod. He was easily one of the ten best college basketball players in the country over the course of his two seasons here. Wanamaker and McGhee looked really bad as freshmen but that group has to be considered top three in program history. I would take this year’s class over Artis and Young though. I think Carr has the upside to be one of the top 25 college players in the country by the time he’s an upperclassman. Young was probably a top 50 player but I think Carr has superior upside.

I’m actually enjoying Stallings right now only because I think he’s compiled a better roster for this year than Jamie ever would have been able to. It still needs improved on, with a big man or 2 and a backup PG being the biggest needs, but still better than what I think Jamie would have been able to put together.

Of course, if we had hired someone other than Stallings when Jamie moved on, that person may have been able to recruit better, but that’s even more conjecture depending on who that guy may or could have been. Right now it’s just my conjecture of what we would have had for a roster Jamie vs Stallings.

Yeah, I’m not enjoying stallings at all because pitt is getting its butt kicked.

Yeah, I’m not enjoying stallings at all because pitt is getting its butt kicked.
Well to be correct, we’ve only had our butt kicked once this year (PSU), although more may be coming Saturday and then in the ACC. Other than that, the concern is just that we’re doing no more than being competitive against opponents we should normally handle easily. So up til now, it can’ be too much suffering watching competitive BB.

And as far as only being competitive against these lowly opponents, what does anyone expect considering a roster 90% full of players with no prior Div 1 experience. Everyone always claimed one of Jamie’s keys to success was having Sr’s with 4 yrs in the program. Now everyone just gives lip service to the fact we’re pllaying with a bunch of freshman.

I’ll take it a step further, we obviously didn’t win too many games last year, but we actually got our butt kicked less than the prior year.

Reactions: gary2
Well to be correct, we’ve only had our butt kicked once this year (PSU), although more may be coming Saturday and then in the ACC. Other than that, the concern is just that we’re doing no more than being competitive against opponents we should normally handle easily. So up til now, it can’ be too much suffering watching competitive BB.

And as far as only being competitive against these lowly opponents, what does anyone expect considering a roster 90% full of players with no prior Div 1 experience. Everyone always claimed one of Jamie’s keys to success was having Sr’s with 4 yrs in the program. Now everyone just gives lip service to the fact we’re pllaying with a bunch of freshman.

I’ll take it a step further, we obviously didn’t win too many games last year, but we actually got our butt kicked less than the prior year.

We made the tournament the year before.....

Agree

Reactions: Seneca_Valley

We lost by like 1000 points to Louisville.

Reactions: levance2

Carr has star potential
Stevenson is a grinder

Just need a big man
interesting topic

We lost by like 1000 points to Louisville.
Now there’s a predictable reply referencing that 55-pt loss to Ville. But it’s also a lazy reply Whirly. If you care to go back and compare the last 2 years Whirly, you’ll find that we were competitive in more games last year than the year before. Take your pick on how you define competitive, I take it as within 1 or 2 possessions of the lead with 3-5 minutes left in the game. By that standard, we were more competitive last year than the prior. We obviously won less games last year. I can go back to last year’s games and cite a few of those losses I could put in coaching decisions, but most are a gray area as to how much it is coaching or players just not making shots or or other key plays down the stretch.

Now there’s a predictable reply referencing that 55-pt loss to Ville. But it’s also a lazy reply Whirly. If you care to go back and compare the last 2 years Whirly, you’ll find that we were competitive in more games last year than the year before. Take your pick on how you define competitive, I take it as within 1 or 2 possessions of the lead with 3-5 minutes left in the game. By that standard, we were more competitive last year than the prior. We obviously won less games last year. I can go back to last year’s games and cite a few of those losses I could put in coaching decisions, but most are a gray area as to how much it is coaching or players just not making shots or or other key plays down the stretch.

Spot on. I've pointed this out a number of times. There were at least six games on the line last year that in the closing minutes the team just didn't respond. Sometimes you have to make a play. That's what tournament caliber teams do. Win three/four of them and you punch your ticket.

Coaching put them in position to win and they failed over and over.

Spot on. I've pointed this out a number of times. There were at least six games on the line last year that in the closing minutes the team just didn't respond. Sometimes you have to make a play. That's what tournament caliber teams do. Win three/four of them and you punch your ticket.

Coaching put them in position to win and they failed over and over.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Coaching put them in position to win? Oh my goodness, do you listen to yourself?

You are probably one of the same mouth breathers that would blame close losses on FT’s and blame Dixon for not coaching them enough in practice in them.

Also, I sure as heck don’t remember you being someone that after a close loss that you gave the coach a pass when Dixon was here.

Any class that includes Dejuan Blair has to get the nod. He was easily one of the ten best college basketball players in the country over the course of his two seasons here. Wanamaker and McGhee looked really bad as freshmen but that group has to be considered top three in program history. I would take this year’s class over Artis and Young though. I think Carr has the upside to be one of the top 25 college players in the country by the time he’s an upperclassman. Young was probably a top 50 player but I think Carr has superior upside.
Wow. Have you gotten to see a lot in practice?

Reactions: Ski11585
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT