ADVERTISEMENT

Carr, Stevenson, Stewart, Davis is the best.....

If Gary McGhee was on this team as a senior I'd guarantee you he starts at center and MY is a 4 with Jeter off the bench .

And I guarantee you that in the important minutes It would have been McGhee on the bench.

The legend of Gary McGhee on this board just keeps growing and growing. Some day in the future I expect some people to wonder why an All American such as McGhee hasn't been elected to the hall of fame yet.

Reactions: levance2
And I guarantee you that in the important minutes It would have been McGhee on the bench.

The legend of Gary McGhee on this board just keeps growing and growing. Some day in the future I expect some people to wonder why an All American such as McGhee hasn't been elected to the hall of fame yet.
Gary McGhee turned himself into a fine player and not recognizing that says all I need to say to you on this subject .

Reactions: gary2
Gary McGhee turned himself into a fine player and not recognizing that says all I need to say to you on this subject .

Pumping up a guy who was a good rebounder, a decent defender and a zero on offense into the greatest missing link in the history of college basketball is what really says all you need to say on the subject.

The fact that McGhee was a far superior player as a senior than he was as a freshman does not, in fact, mean that he was some sort of great player as a senior as you continue to make him out to be.

Pumping up a guy who was a good rebounder, a decent defender and a zero on offense into the greatest missing link in the history of college basketball is what really says all you need to say on the subject.

The fact that McGhee was a far superior player as a senior than he was as a freshman does not, in fact, mean that he was some sort of great player as a senior as you continue to make him out to be.

I think Gary was a very good defender.

Gee let’s see what did Pitts team lack last season . A tough defensive minded post player who could rebound. Case closed !

Gee let’s see what did Pitts team lack last season . A tough defensive minded post player who could rebound. Case closed !

With a coach who frequently plays offense with five guys standing around the three point line it would have at least added some humor to the mix if we had a Gary McGhee type player on the team last season. How many rebounds does a guy get when he is standing 20 feet from the basket?

Case closed!

With a coach who frequently plays offense with five guys standing around the three point line it would have at least added some humor to the mix if we had a Gary McGhee type player on the team last season. How many rebounds does a guy get when he is standing 20 feet from the basket?

Case closed!
You lose !

Case closed!
Now I’ll tell you why you lose
1.) Gary would only be 20ft from the hoop on offense to set a pick
2.) he’d be in the paint getting rebounds and put backs
3.) he’d be what that team lacked a defensive minded center who’d body up the other teams big guy , clog up the middle , protect the rim and get rebounds .
4.) on last yrs team who could’ve done this ....no one
It truly surprises me your lack of appreciation for his play I guess his stats don’t meet your approval .

Reactions: gary2

McGhee was an excellent post defender, and though not a shot blocker, his size deferred drives. He was also an above average rebounder. If he is on last year's team, they make the NCAAT, no question.

You lose !

One of those guys was third team all ACC while mostly playing center, and the other of the two read about the third team all conference center in the newspaper. But it's no wonder that you think that the clearly lessor of the two players was the missing link.

One of those guys was third team all ACC while mostly playing center, and the other of the two read about the third team all conference center in the newspaper. But it's no wonder that you think that the clearly lessor of the two players was the missing link.
Having 4 small forwards did work out good for them . Did Pitt need a point guard or another really good small forward or how about a ligetament rim protector or another 6ft 6 perimeter player . Is Gary McGhee a better bb than M Young , no, but he's a better center.

You're right, it didn't. Which was why trying to play that way was so damned stupid. But somehow that fact keeps seeming to elude you.
They didn't have any other players with skills , who should've played ? Who should've been their starting pg ... Kithcart .... l don't think so . I know you want me say they should've reigned in MY , but thats only on offense. What about defense and rebounding ? Pitts previous coach always said he wanted an entire team made up of 6ft 7 do everything guys . It didnt work out so well for KS and Pitt last yr . The bottom line is if pitt had a player like G McGhee last season they'd have been a better team and MY would've been a much more effective player .

They didn't have any other players with skills , who should've played ? Who should've been their starting pg ... Kithcart .... l don't think so
The bottom line is if pitt had a player like G McGhee last season they'd have been a better team and MY would've been a much more effective player .

Would Gary have played PG last year? Otherwise, that doesn't seem to solve the problem you claim we had.

Reactions: heybandguy
Would Gary have played PG last year? Otherwise, that doesn't seem to solve the problem you claim we had.
No , Sunshine he'd have provided the defense, toughness and rebounding that was also an issue. There was no answer for the pg on the roster, oh I forgot Coach Artis annoited himself to the position.

No , Sunshine he'd have provided the defense, toughness and rebounding that was also an issue. There was no answer for the pg on the roster, oh I forgot Coach Artis annoited himself to the position.
That was Kevin Stallings. The same coach who couldn't or didn't recruit a PG or play what we had and then ran them all off. Somehow you seem to think Maia made an enormous difference in the post and was a huge loss. Why didn't Stallings go get someone to play post for 10 minutes a game to provide 2 and 3? All our problems would have been solved.

What about defense and rebounding ?

Mike Young rebounded the basketball much better as a junior than as a senior. And in fact if we are talking about just offensive rebounds Mike Young was a better rebounder as a junior, and as a sophomore, and even as a freshman, than he was as a senior. If you want to be a good rebounding team you can't move a guy whose WORST offensive rebounding percentage his first three years on the team was 8.9% and move him 20 feet from the basket. It should come as no surprise to anyone that after Young having an offensive rebounding percentage between 8.9 and 11.7 this first three years that it fell to 5.8 last year.

If you think that rebounding is important, and I certainly do and I believe that you do as well, then playing Mike Young 20 feet from the basket was even dumber than it might have looked on the surface. He was a good to very good offensive rebounder for three years, and we played him in such a way to completely neuter that skill last season.

if pitt had a player like G McGhee last season they'd have been a better team

Senior Gary McGhee, of course they would have. Because senior Gary McGhee was a serviceable player. We could have used a couple of them last year. Of course that assumes that the coach would have actually played him, which as we saw last year was certainly no given.

Reactions: Jpripper88
At this point in time I think there’s a lot of potential in these freshman . Are they comparable to the freshman at Duke or Kentucky , of course not , but Pitt isn’t D or K . Seeing the court early can expose the holes in your game and playing against older players even from schools like Montana and Navy can be a struggle for an 18 yr old .
Carr looks to be the best guard in a Pitt uniform in quite awhile . Stevenson reminds me of a young Jerome Lane . Davis’s play gets better every game and Stewart’s shot looks for real . Brown needs seasoning , but I see something there also . Almost all freshman struggle and unfortunately they don’t have more experienced upperclassman to rely on .
Unless Pitts next HC is a major player Pitts just not going to get transformational freshman and expecting them to do so is irrational . All of you who constantly bash these players explain to the rest of us why any elite or highly ranked kid is coming to Pitt in this current enviorment . To play in front of 2200 fans or because he fell in love with the female in the zoos screaming voice ? If your elite PT is available at Duke you don’t need to come to Pitt to see PT .
Respectability is a few seasons away and if you don’t have patience you need to find another diversion !

Stallings isn't going anywhere sorry

Reactions: AvonBarksdale
McGhee was the last rim defender we had, with the possible exception of some grad transfers. Considering he graduated in 2011, that's a problem.

We are in on some pretty good talent right now. We will take recruiting up a notch going forward. We might land a nice BIG soon

I guess no PG isn’t as important as he has been saying for nearly two years now?
The PER (player efficiency rating) shouldn't be the end all to be all of stats, it is worth noting that Gary McGhee had a 19.3 as a junior and a 20.5 as a senior. He wasn't asked to do a ton but he rebounded, played D, got the putbacks, blocked some shots and didn't turn the ball over. He was a very good player, and he has continued to make some good money playing basketball overseas. I cant believe anyone on here would have a problem with anything except his free throws.

McGhee was the last rim defender we had, with the possible exception of some grad transfers. Considering he graduated in 2011, that's a problem.

I feel like we're forgetting someone.... But I can't remember who it might be...

giphy.gif

The PER (player efficiency rating) shouldn't be the end all to be all of stats, it is worth noting that Gary McGhee had a 19.3 as a junior and a 20.5 as a senior. He wasn't asked to do a ton but he rebounded, played D, got the putbacks, blocked some shots and didn't turn the ball over. He was a very good player, and he has continued to make some good money playing basketball overseas. I cant believe anyone on here would have a problem with anything except his free throws.

It isn’t that I have a problem with Gary...he would have greatly improved the last several teams.

It is moreso that I don’t think he really fits on a stallings team (what good is he if we don’t try for offensive rebounds) and that the ongoing argument on here was there was no PG last year. Obviously Gary was t a PG.

It isn’t that I have a problem with Gary...he would have greatly improved the last several teams.

It is moreso that I don’t think he really fits on a stallings team (what good is he if we don’t try for offensive rebounds) and that the ongoing argument on here was there was no PG last year. Obviously Gary was t a PG.
That is totally fair, I think it is the reason Wilson, Kitchart and Manigault were run off. Stallings appears to value shooting above all else, Dixon valued defense and ball movement. McGee wouldn't be a great fit for the team Stallings WANTS to have, but he would be a huge asset on a team like this, because Stallings doesn't have the C he wants either.

Reactions: Jpripper88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT