ADVERTISEMENT

Casto

That's why some college coaches have pushed back against the RTCs. They see them as almost a promise of future income. I'm not saying this is true, but the argument is that Cael and Co. can tell a blue-chip recruit "We can only give you a 50% scholarship right now, but come here, win a national title or two and we'll bump you up, then add you to the RTC and help you win World and Olympic titles."
So, the promise of future income - isn't that what most colleges are selling students? - is the lure, along with the ability to win team and individual titles.
Let’s take the exception away (PSU). ASU, Michigan have pretty good RTCs and their programs are turning into consistent top 5 finishers.

I think Pitts program is excelling under Gavin, but if we had more money to give resident athletes in our RTC that would get us to the top 5 quicker.

That's why some college coaches have pushed back against the RTCs. They see them as almost a promise of future income. I'm not saying this is true, but the argument is that Cael and Co. can tell a blue-chip recruit "We can only give you a 50% scholarship right now, but come here, win a national title or two and we'll bump you up, then add you to the RTC and help you win World and Olympic titles."
So, the promise of future income - isn't that what most colleges are selling students? - is the lure, along with the ability to win team and individual titles.
Let’s take the exception away (PSU). ASU, Michigan have pretty good RTCs and their programs are turning into consistent top 5 finishers.

I think Pitts program is excelling under Gavin, but if we had more money to give resident athletes in our RTC that would get us to the top 5 quicker.
I get why coaches are pushing back and they have to worry about their own programs but the impact the RTCs have had on USA wrestling is why they shouldn't go anywhere.

There are maybe 4 or 5 professional RTCs (NLWC, Sunkist, Penn RTC, Cliff Kleen, and maybe Spartan) and those RTCs have helped those programs tremendously but Iowa, OSUx2, and NCST have shown you can have a ton of success without an elite RTC. IMO too many programs have RTCs because they think they have to have them and are using them to basically bring in training partners/coaches to help the program with less focus on true wrestling development for the individual athlete.

Cole Mathews or any Pitt wrestler winning a national championship under Gavin will have a far bigger impact on the program than RTC spending.

Reactions: jctrack
I get why coaches are pushing back and they have to worry about their own programs but the impact the RTCs have had on USA wrestling is why they shouldn't go anywhere.

There are maybe 4 or 5 professional RTCs (NLWC, Sunkist, Penn RTC, Cliff Kleen, and maybe Spartan) and those RTCs have helped those programs tremendously but Iowa, OSUx2, and NCST have shown you can have a ton of success without an elite RTC. IMO too many programs have RTCs because they think they have to have them and are using them to basically bring in training partners/coaches to help the program with less focus on true wrestling development for the individual athlete.

Cole Mathews or any Pitt wrestler winning a national championship under Gavin will have a far bigger impact on the program than RTC spending.
Oklahoma State has Dayton Fix/Ringer and Ohio State had Kyle Snyder (until recently)/Evan Henderson/Kolin Moore so I do not think you can use those as under performing RTCs.

Iowa lost Gilman to NLWC.

My point is that the RTCs help create the national champions. Do you think if the Hidlay brothers were in PSUs room they win a national championship last year? Or even if they were at Penn with JB?

Oklahoma State has Dayton Fix/Ringer and Ohio State had Kyle Snyder (until recently)/Evan Henderson/Kolin Moore so I do not think you can use those as under performing RTCs.

Iowa lost Gilman to NLWC.

My point is that the RTCs help create the national champions. Do you think if the Hidlay brothers were in PSUs room they win a national championship last year? Or even if they were at Penn with JB?
I didn't say they are underperforming, I said they are not elite and what I consider full "professional" RTC, and a lot of that may be by choice.

The Hidlays would have probably developed more at Penn State but I would argue that it would have been a result of a lot better coaching. I think that people tend to overestimate how involved NLWC wrestlers are with helping to coach and train folkstyle wrestling.

I didn't say they are underperforming, I said they are not elite and what I consider full "professional" RTC, and a lot of that may be by choice.

The Hidlays would have probably developed more at Penn State but I would argue that it would have been a result of a lot better coaching. I think that people tend to overestimate how involved NLWC wrestlers are with helping to coach and train folkstyle wrestling.
I am sure that all those RTCs are considered professional and prob have higher level of compensation so I am not sure what you mean.

The top level talent is definitely wrestling the RTCs resident’s. Like Gilman and RBY are working out, but you are right we not in the room.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT