ADVERTISEMENT

Mountain West 1-13 in last 14 NCAAT games (excluding SDSU run)

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
The San Diego State run was nice and they did beat a 1 seed but their path to get there couldn't have been easier as they beat a 6, 9, 12, and 13. Besides that run, the MWC has lost 13 of 14 with the 1 win being Colorado State against an undeserving UVa team. We see this every year. They should be limited to 3 bids no matter what. San Diego State then pick 2 more.

Doesn't fit the narrative.

You are correct. It doesn't fit the narrative. The narrative is the Mountain West sucks ass. Would you disagree with that? If we exclude that miracle SDSU run against mostly bad seeds when the bracket opened up, they are now 2-17 from 2019 to present. Their only wins:

SDSU this year over a UAB team which probably wouldn't have made the NIT had it not won the American Athletic Conference tournament. And Utah State vs Mr. November Jamie Dixon, whose team absolutely refused to guard anyone. Made Utah State look like the NBA East All-Star team.

You are correct. It doesn't fit the narrative. The narrative is the Mountain West sucks ass. Would you disagree with that? If we exclude that miracle SDSU run against mostly bad seeds when the bracket opened up, they are now 2-17 from 2019 to present. Their only wins:

SDSU this year over a UAB team which probably wouldn't have made the NIT had it not won the American Athletic Conference tournament. And Utah State vs Mr. November Jamie Dixon, whose team absolutely refused to guard anyone. Made Utah State look like the NBA East All-Star team.
I agree with SMF. Every other conference with 3+ bids have multiple teams that could make a F4 run.

If you exclude Shaka Smart’s final four run where he went 5-1 in one season, he is by far the worst coach in tournament history. Especially considering he’s had 3 elite jobs.

But of course, no reasonable human would exclude his final 4 run. Same logic applies here

If you exclude Shaka Smart’s final four run where he went 5-1 in one season, he is by far the worst coach in tournament history. Especially considering he’s had 3 elite jobs.

But of course, no reasonable human would exclude his final 4 run. Same logic applies here
Smart has made the Round of 32 three times and another time made the deep run to the Final 4. His team is also currently still playing. A lot of bad takes on your part throughout this thread.

In any business, it is usually good practice to identify outliers. Lets say you hire someone to work for your business. He has a bad year 5 out of 6 years but one of the years he was Employee of the Year. Is that employee that good or was he a bit lucky that year due to circumstances outside his control.

The MWC sucks. SDSU was an outlier.

Are they below average? Sure. But they're currently 8-14, not 1-13.

Claiming we should remove statistical outliers when looking at 15 game samples is peak mental gymnastics.

If we do that, I guess we have to remove UNC's championship game run and Miami's FF run from last year. Outliers n'at.

Are they below average? Sure. But they're currently 8-14, not 1-13.

Claiming we should remove statistical outliers when looking at 15 game samples is peak mental gymnastics.

If we do that, I guess we have to remove UNC's championship game run and Miami's FF run from last year. Outliers n'at.

You can remove them if it was based on luck. SDSU beat a 12 and 13 to get to the Sweet 16. Then they did beat a 1 seed but getting a 6 seed in the Elite 8 and a 9 seed in the Final Four is lucky as hell. They only wore their black jerseys once until the NC.

You can remove them if it was based on luck. SDSU beat a 12 and 13 to get to the Sweet 16. Then they did beat a 1 seed but getting a 6 seed in the Elite 8 and a 9 seed in the Final Four is lucky as hell. They only wore their black jerseys once until the NC.
You’re incredibly dumb that you keep touting this. It’s a one and done largely luck tournament. So you eliminate all of the mountain west’s good luck but count all of their bad luck. The mental gymnastics are insane and the ppl who are reading you and saying YAAAAA THAT MAKES SENSE might be even worse lol

Reactions: LGP1989
Smart has made the Round of 32 three times and another time made the deep run to the Final 4. His team is also currently still playing. A lot of bad takes on your part throughout this thread.
He is statistically the worst coach in NCAAT history without his final 4 run. Making the round of 32 as a 2/3 isn’t an accomplishment lol. There’s a reason he was run out of Texas. Therefore, he sucks. Same as the MW.

My takes aren’t “bad”. They are correct. If you could ever take off your blue and gold glasses to actually think logically about college basketball you wouldn’t be agreeing with the dumbest poster on the board

Tony Bennett might be a better example.

You guys sound like the idiots who try to talk intelligently (which is what you’re trying to do poorly) while watching a football game where a RB has 30 carries for 150 yards and say yeah but if you take out the 90 yard TD he only has 60 yards on 29 carries….

Since we are excluding and discounting outliers, Pitt hasn’t made the tournament since Jamie left. The one year was circumstantial and doesn’t count for my argument. Therefore, this entire thread thinks Capel should be canned immediately. Yes. This is how dumb your argument is

He is statistically the worst coach in NCAAT history without his final 4 run. Making the round of 32 as a 2/3 isn’t an accomplishment lol. There’s a reason he was run out of Texas. Therefore, he sucks. Same as the MW.

My takes aren’t “bad”. They are correct. If you could ever take off your blue and gold glasses to actually think logically about college basketball you wouldn’t be agreeing with the dumbest poster on the board
Many of your takes ARE bad, including this one.

Nope, I’m the only sane one in this thread outside of FK Pitt and I’m typically correct. You however, are never correct. Glad you’re on the wrong side of me again
I don't care how many times you say it, it is completely wrong to base the strength of an entire conference on the success of one school, especially when that success was an outlier even for them. That is just stupid.

You're also wrong about this being a tournament where luck wins. In the end, the teams with top-ten talent almost always make up the Final Four. It remains a tournament of talent overall.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I don't care how many times you say it, it is completely wrong to base the strength of an entire conference on the success of one school, especially when that success was an outlier even for them. That is just stupid.

You're also wrong about this being a tournament where luck wins. In the end, the teams with top-ten talent almost always make up the Final Four. It remains a tournament of talent overall.
I wasn’t 100 percent positive I was right, and not about 99. Now that you’re siding on the other side it went from an opinion to a fact. I am correcttttt

Can you tell me who will win tomorrow? Need winners so obviously fade you. Since if you’ve NEVER hit once.

The ACC was 3-4 in the NCAA tournament last year. Really bad. Really bad. Excluding the outlier of Miami of course. Which makes sense because reasons

The MWC isn’t and has never been one of the top 4 conferences and should not be treated as such by the committee.

Reactions: gary2
The MWC isn’t and has never been one of the top 4 conferences and should not be treated as such by the committee.
I never said it should be of course. Which is not what you were arguing or SMF or the other dolt. Excluding the best team from their conversation is not painting the whole picture and frankly stupid. As evidence by the ACC going 3-4 last year without Miami. And there would be no sane person who would say to exclude Miami in that situation

I never said it should be of course. Which is not what you were arguing or SMF or the other dolt. Excluding the best team from their conversation is not painting the whole picture and frankly stupid. As evidence by the ACC going 3-4 last year without Miami. And there would be no sane person who would say to exclude Miami in that situation
Isn’t his main point that the MWC is overrated and should be receiving 2-3 bids max?

Reactions: gary2 and pittpsu
Isn’t his main point that the MWC is overrated and should be receiving 2-3 bids max?
His main was trying to destroy a conference by leaving out the full picture and of course the lap dogs drank it up.

Oh, no judge Ito, don’t admit those bloody gloves.

Their record is bad enough without making a disingenuous argument

His main was trying to destroy a conference by leaving out the full picture and of course the lap dogs drank it up.

Oh, no judge Ito, don’t admit those bloody gloves.

Their record is bad enough without making a disingenuous argument
We all know SD St is legit, but the overall conference is vastly overrated and doesn’t deserve all these bids.

You guys are closer to agreeing, but are like Tom and Jerry and just can’t resist arguing.

I wasn’t 100 percent positive I was right, and not about 99. Now that you’re siding on the other side it went from an opinion to a fact. I am correcttttt

Can you tell me who will win tomorrow? Need winners so obviously fade you. Since if you’ve NEVER hit once.
Here's a guarantee. The team with better talent will have a better chance to win. They won't rely on luck. More talented teams don't need to.

Have you ever been right on anything?

Here's a guarantee. The team with better talent will have a better chance to win. They won't rely on luck. More talented teams don't need to.

Have you ever been right on anything?
I don’t have the slightest clue what you’re babbling on. You really don’t know ANYTHING about CBB. Don’t bother responding again. You’re back on ignore. I can’t handle so much stupid.

I dont understand the pushback on without 1 teams good run the rest of the conference has not performed well whatsoever in the tourney.??? Do you have stock in mountain west conference or.....?

The ACC was 3-4 in the NCAA tournament last year. Really bad. Really bad. Excluding the outlier of Miami of course. Which makes sense because reasons

The ACC is a consistent performer in the NCAAT. The MWC has been historically bad....except for one miracle run where the field completely opened up. You cant compare. And Miami had a legit run to the Final Four. Both they and SDSU were 5 seeds. Miami had to beat a 4 in Round 2. SDSU got a 13. They both beat 1 seeds in the Sweet 16. Then Miami beat a 2 in the Elite 8 while SDSU got a 6. In the Final Four, Miami got a 4 seed, who was the legit best team in the country at that time. SDSU got a 9 seed.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
The ACC is a consistent performer in the NCAAT. The MWC has been historically bad....except for one miracle run where the field completely opened up. You cant compare. And Miami had a legit run to the Final Four. Both they and SDSU were 5 seeds. Miami had to beat a 4 in Round 2. SDSU got a 13. They both beat 1 seeds in the Sweet 16. Then Miami beat a 2 in the Elite 8 while SDSU got a 6. In the Final Four, Miami got a 4 seed, who was the legit best team in the country at that time. SDSU got a 9 seed.
Now there is a litmus for a "legitimate" national championship game run?

What are we even doing here?

Now there is a litmus for a "legitimate" national championship game run?

What are we even doing here?

My hope is that next year we make a run to the championship game (and hopefully win it!), and then for the next couple years after that we have to listen to people telling is that our run was not legitimate. Because reasons and stuff.

If for no other reason than it will be fun to laugh in their faces.

I don’t have the slightest clue what you’re babbling on. You really don’t know ANYTHING about CBB. Don’t bother responding again. You’re back on ignore. I can’t handle so much stupid.
Good. I can reply without having to read your nonsense in return.

If you couldn't understand my previous post, you're even dumber than I thought.

Btw, who won due to luck yesterday?

Good. I can reply without having to read your nonsense in return.

If you couldn't understand my previous post, you're even dumber than I thought.

Btw, who won due to luck yesterday?
You’re by far, and that is saying something, the dumbest person on the board.

No knowledge. No inside info. Blue and gold glasses and always incorrect. You add zero value to the board.

I get one wrong every once in a while but also get good info. And Pitt will play Duquesne next year now that Keith isn’t in charge. Already done in fact. So you were wrong again

You’re by far, and that is saying something, the dumbest person on the board.

No knowledge. No inside info. Blue and gold glasses and always incorrect. You add zero value to the board.

I get one wrong every once in a while but also get good info. And Pitt will play Duquesne next year now that Keith isn’t in charge. Already done in fact. So you were wrong again
Lol. And the local media will say it’s because Pitt learned their lesson by missing the tourney…not because of the obvious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT