ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Bracketology…

Palm had Pitt as his first team out yesterday so makes sense.

He also dropped UVA from 10 to a play-in game. If only a tired NC State could beat them tonight.

NC State has much better players but I could see UVa winning like 55-47 in a hide the women and children game

Reactions: SteelBowl70
Good to see!
It's good to see but if Pitt loses tonight to UNC he'll have Pitt out again.

It's ridiculous that with Pitt's whole body of work they literally need to beat UNC to make the NCAA Tournament.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I will continue to believe that we are now in, but getting blown out and/or other bubble teams continuing to win could change that.

Reactions: CCHS82

It's ridiculous that with Pitt's whole body of work they literally need to beat UNC to make the NCAA Tournament.
Yep. This was my fear. I didn’t originally think Pitt was going to have to beat UNC in DC. But with the bubble getting stronger and smaller this week, it appears to be the case.

What a shame if this team doesn’t make it. It would be a travesty.

Who wouldn’t have signed up for 22-10, double by and a semi appearance in the tourney way back in September? We’d probably have been thinking 6 seed.

I’m not sure that’s true either.
You've been on here for days saying the same thing. You have posted that you think Pitt needed to win 2 games in the ACC Tournament to get into the Dance. Unless I'm mistaken. And I agreed with you.

You've been on here for days saying the same thing. You have posted that you think Pitt needed to win 2 games in the ACC Tournament to get into the Dance. Unless I'm mistaken. And I agreed with you.
I think DT is suggesting that our fate doesn't exist in a vacuum. If we lose we may still be in if other bubble teams also lose, and of course we all agree that if we win it's a lock.

Good news is all 4 play today.

Some early results I’d love to see-
Miss st get rolled by Tennessee
UConn obliterate SJU ( UConn seems on a mission to just destroy teams )

And of course tonight- let’s speak into truth our Panthers in the finals Saturday!

And , for good measure,

Colorado St run New Mexico out of the building and NC St send UVA home …

Because nothing happens completely in a vacuum. At the moment, Palm has us in. If all the teams right behind us lose, and we play a close on against UNC, we may not move back down.

To that point, Palm has us as the last team in not because he thinks we will beat UNC. It's where we stand at the moment, in relation to everyone else.

A win against UNC gives us enough juice to win regardless of what anyone else does.

And of course tonight- let’s speak into truth our Panthers in the finals Saturday!

And , for good measure,

Exactly. All of these results will matter if Pitt loses. But if win, not so much.

Saw Pitino interview last night and he was asked what it would take to beat UConn. He smirked and told the reporter "6 of their guys getting Covid". 😄😄

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Because nothing happens completely in a vacuum. At the moment, Palm has us in. If all the teams right behind us lose, and we play a close on against UNC, we may not move back down.

To that point, Palm has us as the last team in not because he thinks we will beat UNC. It's where we stand at the moment, in relation to everyone else.

A win against UNC gives us enough juice to win regardless of what anyone else does.
Okay fine but you really think if we lose tonight to UNC Palm will keep us in? Him having us as the last team is very precarious. And lots of other bracketologists don't have Pitt in field at all still.

So sure can Pitt still make the NCAA Tournament if they lose tonight? Yes.

Will they? More likely than not No.

Okay fine but you really think if we lose tonight to UNC Palm will keep us in? Him having us as the last team is very precarious. And lots of other bracketologists don't have Pitt in field at all still.

It's very precarious for sure.

I'd say if we lose tonight, we are at about a 20-30% chance to get in, and most of that depends on what other teams do.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther

Only one of Palm’s first 4 out are still playing (OSU) while all 4 of his last 4 in are in action. MSU plays Tennessee so they are similar to Pitt. UVA plays State and Colorado plays WSU.

I believe Pitt can help themselves with a strong game even if they lose. As Palm has noted previously, all bubble teams will by definition lose their last game.

And , for good measure,

Too little too late I think for St Johns. They have nothing to lose tonight. They’re in.

Only one of Palm’s first 4 out are still playing (OSU) while all 4 of his last 4 in are in action. MSU plays Tennessee so they are similar to Pitt. UVA plays State and Colorado plays WSU.

I believe Pitt can help themselves with a strong game even if they lose.
Yeah - PItt , Miss St , and SJU all play legit National Championship contending teams.

Could almost be a who was most competitive - looked legitimately like a team that could beat a 1 seed. Obviously, winning trumps all.

Too little too late I think for St Johns. They have nothing to lose tonight. They’re in.

Not so sure and I dont know how you put them in over Pitt. If they lose, they'll be 3-10 in Q1 with their only 2 wins against the field being vs Creighton and SHU (and maybe Prov). Of couse, we only have 2 also but vs similar teams and both on the road. Losing to UConn tonight doesn't hurt but it sucks for them it counts as a home game since they only got a few thousand tickets, the same as UConn and the UConn fans will pack the place with secondary market tickets for an 80/20 UConn crowd.

Reactions: H-Burg Panther
There are about 10 games with bubble teams today, at least 5 of them right near us, it depends on too many scenarios to even summarize.
Correct. Let's just hope the basketball gods are smiling on Pitt, unless we take out UNC, our fate is likely in their hands.

Not so sure and I dont know how you put them in over Pitt. If they lose, they'll be 3-10 in Q1 with their only 2 wins against the field being vs Creighton and SHU (and maybe Prov). Of couse, we only have 2 also but vs similar teams and both on the road. Losing to UConn tonight doesn't hurt but it sucks for them it counts as a home game since they only got a few thousand tickets, the same as UConn and the UConn fans will pack the place with secondary market tickets for an 80/20 UConn crowd.
Rick Pitino that's why. Bull but that's why.

I think (hope) we are discounting the committee's focus on road wins. That helps set us apart. And humans also notice how teams are playing at the end of the year even if it's not part of the official analysis.

Reactions: H-Burg Panther
I think (hope) we are discounting the committee's focus on road wins. That helps set us apart. And humans also notice how teams are playing at the end of the year even if it's not part of the official analysis.
If you want Pitt in, you note the 4Q1 away from home and 5 Top 80 road wins.

If you want Pitt out, you note the NC SOS.

The ACC being out of favor even with the best tournament record (21-10) the last 2 years seems to be meaningless while MWC is 5-8 and Big 10 is 15-19. Clearly the process being used isn’t being validated by actual tourney results but the system lacks any feedback loops to actually improve.

There’s also a romanticism associated with the Cinderella nature of the tourney that doesn’t come close to existing in any other sport and stands in stark contrast to the blood thirsty way football is being run. The automatic bids are out of control relative to the size of the field.
Watching some of the teams with locks, it’s clear they are saving their best effort for the NCAAT. Unfortunately UNC isn’t one of those teams.

Last edited:
Yeah - PItt , Miss St , and SJU all play legit National Championship contending teams.

Could almost be a who was most competitive - looked legitimately like a team that could beat a 1 seed. Obviously, winning trumps all.
Let’s be real here, Tennessee is not winning the national championship. They’ll find a way to lose in the Sweet 16 like they always do.

Don't think that is true at all. Not even close to accurate.

Don't think that is true at all. Not even close to accurate.
Why isn’t he close to being accurate? 100+ bracketologists disagree with you, not just Lunardi. I love your optimism. Truly I do. But your posts about how we are playing right now and the eye test simply don’t hold any water at all and are not considered at all.

Yep. This was my fear. I didn’t originally think Pitt was going to have to beat UNC in DC. But with the bubble getting stronger and smaller this week, it appears to be the case.

What a shame if this team doesn’t make it. It would be a travesty.

Who wouldn’t have signed up for 22-10, double by and a semi appearance in the tourney way back in September? We’d probably have been thinking 6 seed.
And if common sense and logic still existed from the committee, and these bracketology grifters didn't carry any weight, we would be easily a or 8 seed right now....regardless of tonight.

For decades since the tournament expanded to 64 and now 68, we profile as a team seeded 7 or 8 for sure.

And imagine if our jerseys said Michigan State or Ohio State? They might give us a 5 seed.

But then we would be out after our first game....

And if common sense and logic still existed from the committee, and these bracketology grifters didn't carry any weight, we would be easily a or 8 seed right now....regardless of tonight.

For decades since the tournament expanded to 64 and now 68, we profile as a team seeded 7 or 8 for sure.

And imagine if our jerseys said Michigan State or Ohio State? They might give us a 5 seed.

Like others have posted, just because you believe Pitt has more than done enough to make the NCAA Tournament, that doesn't make it so.

Way more bracketologists than not who do this for a living have Pitt out of the field right now. And although I would rather believe your opinion, the safe bet is to believe them.

You are disrespect for Pitt and the ACC and love for the MWC and B10 is disgusting.

My thinking too. There is no way our road wins don't carry the day. And the grifters on TV can spew all they want about every game counts the same. No freaking way. Pitt sticks out with that 12-3 heater we are on.

Like others have posted, just because you believe Pitt has more than done enough to make the NCAA Tournament, that doesn't make it so.

Way more bracketologists than not who do this for a living have Pitt out of the field right now. And although I would rather believe your opinion, the safe bet is to believe them.
I would be very hard pressed to find a team who won 22 games, was 4th in a Power Conference and won 12 of their 15 (or 16) games which included 9 Top 100 wins, 5 Top 80 away wins and 4 Q1 road wins and missed the tourney because they failed to beat an overall #1 seed.

A few years ago the pundits would be talking about how nobody in the field wants to see Pitt in their draw and now it’s a debate about Pitt not even being considered a tourney team.

I don't give a flying rat's behind about Q whatever and NET. Pitt's record over the past half of the season and our road record have been one of the best in the country, not just the ACC. We have 22 wins and many on the road in recent days. That alone should be enough to get us in right now. But if UNC blows us out, I don't see us getting the NCAAT bid.

Palm on The Fan right now. Flashback to last year when Starkey grilled Palm and seemed to get very frustrated by the illogic in the process.

Why isn’t he close to being accurate? 100+ bracketologists disagree with you, not just Lunardi. I love your optimism. Truly I do. But your posts about how we are playing right now and the eye test simply don’t hold any water at all and are not considered at all.
This is a serious question, I have no idea about. Everyone keeps talking about these bracketologists. Are they deciding factor in what the committee uses to pick the teams? I mean because they have these lasts for ins and outs, do they and the committee have meetings and discuss who is in, or who is out?

Im asking first, because I dont know. and second, because all the fans seems to think that it boils down to who the bracket people say are in or out. I mean if that is the case, what is the use of having a committee? Let the bracket people pick the teams, like they are doing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT