ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte FC, Tepper's Team

Not exactly, but you mentioned you thought Charlotte FC would draw 80K for their opener and that's what this article is also saying.

That's because I heard a few weeks ago that they were going to.

Alexi Lalas (or maybe it was Edu or Holden) said that the southeast is the new Cascadia in terms of MLS interest. While I don't know that that's true, the popularity of the MLS in the southeast is one of the most surprising things I've ever seen in all my years following sports.

The MLS had 0 teams in the SE until about 5 years ago. They actually had to fold Miami and Tampa Bay in the 2000s due to lack of interest. I remember there being talk of Atlanta getting a team and playing in the Falcons' stadium and to me, that sounded like the worst idea ever. Atlanta's NHL team didn't last and I pictured the MLS team playing in front of 3000 people in a 70K seat stadium. Boy was I wrong. Atlanta, Nashville, and Orlando are 3 of the best supported clubs in MLS and Charlotte looks to be next. Not sure about Beckham's Miami team. I still have doubts as to whether Miami can support an MLS team as its the worst sports town in America. If MLS works in Miami, I wont know what to say

Not exactly, but you mentioned you thought Charlotte FC would draw 80K for their opener and that's what this article is also saying.
Charlotte is becoming my home away from home. I will be there this weekend, however I won’t be at the game. You can’t get tickets. Maybe just maybe Charlotte FC will be my gateway into MLS fandom. I know a lot of people who will be working at the game.

Charlotte is becoming my home away from home. I will be there this weekend, however I won’t be at the game. You can’t get tickets. Maybe just maybe Charlotte FC will be my gateway into MLS fandom. I know a lot of people who will be working at the game.
It's interesting that southern cities like Atlanta, Nashville, Orlando and now Charlotte are apparently filling stadiums for soccer?

You should go. There will be thousands of tickets available on the resale market.

I'd like to adopt a favorite MLS team but just can't. Closest I ever came was the Beckham/Donovan Galaxy teams.

MLS had a great run of huge names: Beckham, Henry, Keane, Gerrard, Lampard, Pirlo, etc. They were older but made you want to watch. Now they are spending all their money on young South Americans who are probably better than a 35 year old former Euro star but I never heard of them, and quite frankly I get them confused. I realize this doesn't sound good but I'm going to be honest. Its hard to follow when I can't remember if Martinez or Gonzalez is the best player for Team X. Is Sanchez or Rodriguez the new stud signing. My brain cannot process this.

I think its important to bring in these South American players but not at the expense of recognizable Euro stars or Americans. You turn on an MLS game now and 18 of 22 players are from Central or South America. They may be increasing the level of play but I want to see Americans and household name Euro players.

Last edited:
You should go. There will be thousands of tickets available on the resale market.
I watched Charlotte's 1st ever game, @ DC United, they actually scored the 1st goal, but it was called offsides on VAR, they lost eventually 3-0. They don't seem very good based on that game, Atlanta and Nashville both came out with really good teams their first years in MLS

I'd like to adopt a favorite MLS team but just can't. Closest I ever came was the Beckham/Donovan Galaxy teams.

MLS had a great run of huge names: Beckham, Henry, Keane, Gerrard, Lampard, Pirlo, etc. They were older but made you want to watch. Now they are spending all their money on young South Americans who are probably better than a 35 year old former Euro star but I never heard of them, and quite frankly I get them confused. I realize this doesn't sound good but I'm going to be honest. Its hard to follow when I can't remember if Martinez or Gonzalez is the best player for Team X. Is Sanchez or Rodriguez the new stud signing. My brain cannot process this.

I think its important to bring in these South American players but not at the expense of recognizable Euro stars or Americans. You turn on an MLS game now and 18 of 22 players are from Central or South America. They may be increasing the level of play but I want to see Americans and household name Euro players.
I looked at the secondary market. Not to sound cheap but I wasn’t paying $80-90 for an MLS game. But my daughter is there and she decided to work the game with her teammates. She’s in a store on the luxory box level and gets 40% of merch. I told her to pick me up a shirt. Maybe I’ll become a fan. Lol.

I looked at the secondary market. Not to sound cheap but I wasn’t paying $80-90 for an MLS game. But my daughter is there and she decided to work the game with her teammates. She’s in a store on the luxory box level and gets 40% of merch. I told her to pick me up a shirt. Maybe I’ll become a fan. Lol.
Bad soccer but just for the atmosphere, it would have been worth it but I shouldn't talk. I couldn't justify spending $60 for uppers or $120 for lowers to Pitt/Coach K. I doubt I'd miss that money 20 years from now and could say I was there but it was the principle of it. Pitt is terrible and thaf was too much to see Pitt get pounded.

The Charlotte atmosphere looked amazing on TV. 2nd biggest crowd in the world in 2022 behing Chelsea @ Liverpool

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Bad soccer but just for the atmosphere, it would have been worth it but I shouldn't talk. I couldn't justify spending $60 for uppers or $120 for lowers to Pitt/Coach K. I doubt I'd miss that money 20 years from now and could say I was there but it was the principle of it. Pitt is terrible and thaf was too much to see Pitt get pounded.

The Charlotte atmosphere looked amazing on TV. 2nd biggest crowd in the world in 2022 behing Chelsea @ Liverpool
I watched some of it and it really is bad. I know one player (Fuchs, who played at Leicester) on Charlotte’s roster and then the rest are a handful of Americans, a bunch of obscure central and South American players, other than a couple Pols, a Spaniard and and English player. I have watched a lot of bad soccer in my day, but I can do that if I have a kid playing in the game or it’s the USA or Pitt. But this Charlotte team might not win a game. They set an attendance record but that stadium is going to look pretty empty for the rest of the season I would think.

btw, I thought Atlanta drew a better crowd a few years ago and put over 85k into MB Stadium?

I watched some of it and it really is bad. I know one player (Fuchs, who played at Leicester) on Charlotte’s roster and then the rest are a handful of Americans, a bunch of obscure central and South American players, other than a couple Pols, a Spaniard and and English player. I have watched a lot of bad soccer in my day, but I can do that if I have a kid playing in the game or it’s the USA or Pitt. But this Charlotte team might not win a game. They set an attendance record but that stadium is going to look pretty empty for the rest of the season I would think.

btw, I thought Atlanta drew a better crowd a few years ago and put over 85k into MB Stadium?
MB doesn't hold as many.

Looking at Charlotte's team and not knowing any of them other than Fuchs, I was thinking its one of the worst MLS teams I've ever seen. I thought the same about FC Cincinnati. I mean I know they're an expansion team but they should've made some effort to bring in a few better, more recognizable player. I mean their DP is a Polish guy they signed from PAOK? WTF is that.

My problem with MLS is if you're going to make me watch bad soccer, I want to watch Americans. I don't care about watching 3rd tier South Americans. Very few Americans get playing time on these teams.

Americans + former Euro stars. That's what I want. Then you can backfill with guys from the Peru national team or guys who cant make the Colombia or Uruguay national teams.

MB doesn't hold as many.

Looking at Charlotte's team and not knowing any of them other than Fuchs, I was thinking its one of the worst MLS teams I've ever seen. I thought the same about FC Cincinnati. I mean I know they're an expansion team but they should've made some effort to bring in a few better, more recognizable player. I mean their DP is a Polish guy they signed from PAOK? WTF is that.

My problem with MLS is if you're going to make me watch bad soccer, I want to watch Americans. I don't care about watching 3rd tier South Americans. Very few Americans get playing time on these teams.

Americans + former Euro stars. That's what I want. Then you can backfill with guys from the Peru national team or guys who cant make the Colombia or Uruguay national teams.
Yeah I 100% agree. The MLS is making Concacaf, instead of the US, more challenging. Lol.

Yeah I 100% agree. The MLS is making Concacaf, instead of the US, more challenging. Lol.
LOL. When they missed the WC, I was so so pissed. I started listening to some soccer podcasts. There was this one that took emailed questions/comments. I emailed them and said that MLS is partly responsible for the US not making it because its given Panamian, Costa Ricans, and Hondurans a 1st class league environment to play and develop in. They read it on their podcast but didn't agree. Said they make the league better. No shit, they are better than 2nd tier Americans but do you really, really need Central American players? Would MLS fall apart if an American guy is out there playing instead. I want Americans and old Euros I know. I cant recognizs any of these guys. Its partly why I gave up MLB years ago. 50% of the league is from DR and Latin America with most of the same last names. My brain couldn't remember who was who.

As an American soccer fan, I am so much more interested when the announcer mentions that the midfielder is a 3rd year player from Creighton and mentions some anecdote like his dad coaches some D2 school or whatever. I can identify with that. Then the next time I watch, I remember that guy

A few observations, just for ME personally...

1) I watched some EPL this morning, which I don't normally do, and it was crystal clear to me, that even the lesser teams have way more skill and play way better quality soccer than MLS, still it doesn't hold my attention, I just don't care, I'd rather watch DC United vs Cincinnati, like I did last night or other MLS teams, I mean having a favorite team and watching teams in American cities and in my time zone is more appealing than watching teams in Europe play with better quality

2) Personally, I have been a DC United fan since 1996, when it started, and I'd prefer they bring in whoever is best, rather than some 3rd rate American who played in the ACC or something. Give me a great player from the Polish League or El Salvador instead.

3) I watch the MLS like I do the NFL, I don't watch it to develop players for the USAMNT, I watch my team, like I watch the Steelers, I want them to win The MLS Cup, not send players to Europe for development, F that! Like DC lost this kid Kevin Paredes to Europe this year, people are celebrating that, I'd rather see him play in DC, he was fun to watch, I won't ever trying to stream a game from Europe just to see him, just like I never watch any game from Europe just because Famous American USAMNT guy plays there

4) I personally think that the MLS should at least get the very best talent in this corner of the world if nothing else, if it makes CONCACAF teams better so be it, I guess that's because I like MLS just for itself alone and not as a development league for USAMNT or Europe or anything else.

5) Really I'm not alone in this, I've participated in some MLS Facebook discussions and there's a decent amount of MLS fans like me, interestingly there's a good number of Europeans, including English people who like the MLS better than their countries league and the reason most often cited is because in their leagues, it's like American College Football, Bama, Georgia or Clemson, nobody else ever wins :) , they like MLS because of the parity, it's not same old/same old every year

LOL. When they missed the WC, I was so so pissed. I started listening to some soccer podcasts. There was this one that took emailed questions/comments. I emailed them and said that MLS is partly responsible for the US not making it because its given Panamian, Costa Ricans, and Hondurans a 1st class league environment to play and develop in. They read it on their podcast but didn't agree. Said they make the league better.
Aren't you the one that wants the USA to join UEFA for "better competition" and here you're afraid of MLS making CONCACAF teams better? So the USAMNT missed the WC? You think they'd make it if they had to qualify in Europe? Which wouldn't make sense anyways, some things should always stay the SAME, JUST BECAUSE, USA shouldn't be part of UEFA EVER, JUST BECAUSE they aren't in Europe.

Aren't you the one that wants the USA to join UEFA for "better competition" and here you're afraid of MLS making CONCACAF teams better? So the USAMNT missed the WC? You think they'd make it if they had to qualify in Europe? Which wouldn't make sense anyways, some things should always stay the SAME, JUST BECAUSE, USA shouldn't be part of UEFA EVER, JUST BECAUSE they aren't in Europe.

No they wouldn't make the WC but MLS would be a top league and Champions League would be here. And we'd make the Euros so that's worth the tradeoff.

A few observations, just for ME personally...

1) I watched some EPL this morning, which I don't normally do, and it was crystal clear to me, that even the lesser teams have way more skill and play way better quality soccer than MLS, still it doesn't hold my attention, I just don't care, I'd rather watch DC United vs Cincinnati, like I did last night or other MLS teams, I mean having a favorite team and watching teams in American cities and in my time zone is more appealing than watching teams in Europe play with better quality

2) Personally, I have been a DC United fan since 1996, when it started, and I'd prefer they bring in whoever is best, rather than some 3rd rate American who played in the ACC or something. Give me a great player from the Polish League or El Salvador instead.

3) I watch the MLS like I do the NFL, I don't watch it to develop players for the USAMNT, I watch my team, like I watch the Steelers, I want them to win The MLS Cup, not send players to Europe for development, F that! Like DC lost this kid Kevin Paredes to Europe this year, people are celebrating that, I'd rather see him play in DC, he was fun to watch, I won't ever trying to stream a game from Europe just to see him, just like I never watch any game from Europe just because Famous American USAMNT guy plays there

4) I personally think that the MLS should at least get the very best talent in this corner of the world if nothing else, if it makes CONCACAF teams better so be it, I guess that's because I like MLS just for itself alone and not as a development league for USAMNT or Europe or anything else.

5) Really I'm not alone in this, I've participated in some MLS Facebook discussions and there's a decent amount of MLS fans like me, interestingly there's a good number of Europeans, including English people who like the MLS better than their countries league and the reason most often cited is because in their leagues, it's like American College Football, Bama, Georgia or Clemson, nobody else ever wins :) , they like MLS because of the parity, it's not same old/same old every year

They aren't getting great players from Poland or El Salvador. They're getting obscure players from these nations that are slightly better than the Americans who are sitting on the bench

No they wouldn't make the WC but MLS would be a top league and Champions League would be here. And we'd make the Euros so that's worth the tradeoff.
No, it would be stupid, better the way it is, artificially putting USA in Europe is ridiculous, why not put Liga MX there then? They've been a better league than MLS. MLS doesn't have to be a better league, Europe has like 40 leagues, are they all better than MLS, no they aren't. And playing in UEFA doesn't make them better than MLS.

They aren't getting great players from Poland or El Salvador. They're getting obscure players from these nations that are slightly better than the Americans who are sitting on the bench
Slightly better is better, teams need to put winning INSIDE MLS first, not developing players for USMNT.

No, it would be stupid, better the way it is, artificially putting USA in Europe is ridiculous, why not put Liga MX there then? They've been a better league than MLS. MLS doesn't have to be a better league, Europe has like 40 leagues, are they all better than MLS, no they aren't. And playing in UEFA doesn't make them better than MLS.
Mexico doesn't have the market or money the US has. And the second the US is admitted into UEFA, MLS becomes the 3rd best league in the world behind the EPL and Bundesliga because the teams would have the money and Champions League path to overtake La Liga and Serie A.

MLS in UEFA makes it a mainstream league in this country with world superstars (in their prime) and TV ratings rivaling the NBA and ahead of MLB. It would be massive. Wished Trump bought Greenland.

• Haha
Mexico doesn't have the market or money the US has. And the second the US is admitted into UEFA, MLS becomes the 3rd best league in the world behind the EPL and Bundesliga because the teams would have the money and Champions League path to overtake La Liga and Serie A.

MLS in UEFA makes it a mainstream league in this country with world superstars (in their prime) and TV ratings rivaling the NBA and ahead of MLB. It would be massive. Wished Trump bought Greenland.
So geography means nothing, What if Australia had the biggest market and money, should they join Europe too?

and why would MLS suddenly become better? so good that they'd overtake the top Euro Leagues, I doubt people that don't watch soccer now, would suddenly start to care.

So geography means nothing, What if Australia had the biggest market and money, should they join Europe too?

and why would MLS suddenly become better? so good that they'd overtake the top Euro Leagues, I doubt people that don't watch soccer now, would suddenly start to care.
Because they would then have the money to buy world-class players and MLS teams playing in Champions League would grow the league and sport beyone belief.

Also, Australia is a bad example because they left Oceania to play in Asia.

Israel plays in Europe instead of Asia (political reasons)

Suriname and Guyana play in CONCACAF instead of South America (competitive reasons). So there is some precedent. Would FIFA and UEFA approve it? Well, if you bribe them enough

Because they would then have the money to buy world-class players and MLS teams playing in Champions League would grow the league and sport beyone belief.

Also, Australia is a bad example because they left Oceania to play in Asia.

Israel plays in Europe instead of Asia (political reasons)

Suriname and Guyana play in CONCACAF instead of South America (competitive reasons). So there is some precedent. Would FIFA and UEFA approve it? Well, if you bribe them enough
What would be America's reason, WE GOT$ MONEY?

Is LIGA MX that much better than MLS? Can someone explain??

MLS teams don’t perform well in Champions League, but there are logistical reasons for that, right? Aren’t they out of mid season form when matches are played?

Money, market, and maybe they can concoct some safety/political reasons for not playing in 3rd world countries just to make it look a little more legit
3rd World countries potentially safer than Europe at the moment.

MLS teams don’t perform well in Champions League, but there are logistical reasons for that, right? Aren’t they out of mid season form when matches are played?
I really don't know, I'm just judging it by CL I guess, MLS teams have never won that. I have seen articles, not written by SMF :) about merging them.

Liga MX is significantly better. The reason is simple. Those teams have much higher payrolls and can afford much better players. The difference between your average Liga MX and your average MLS team isnt a whole lot different than your average EPL team and your average team from the Championship.

3rd World countries potentially safer than Europe at the moment.
and the US. Many cities in the US have murder rates amongst the worst in the world. On the football board, we discussed international NFL expansion and Mexico City was brought up and everyone was like its too dangerous there. No its not. They keep Mexico City very safe. Its not Cartel Mexico. Mexico City has lower crime rates than most American cities.

Liga MX is significantly better. The reason is simple. Those teams have much higher payrolls and can afford much better players. The difference between your average Liga MX and your average MLS team isnt a whole lot different than your average EPL team and your average team from the Championship.
I don't follow Liga MX, is it like Europe, where the same 2-3 teams win the league over and over and over? If it is, I prefer MLS lesser quality, unpredictability and parity like the NFL.

and the US. Many cities in the US have murder rates amongst the worst in the world. On the football board, we discussed international NFL expansion and Mexico City was brought up and everyone was like its too dangerous there. No its not. They keep Mexico City very safe. Its not Cartel Mexico. Mexico City has lower crime rates than most American cities.
Democrats

Democrats
You're smarter than that. Poverty + dense population leads to murders. You want to decrease the murder rate, give everyone 100K/year. Then there's no incentive to sell drugs. Not saying we should do that but crime is directly related to poverty

You're smarter than that. Poverty + dense population leads to murders. You want to decrease the murder rate, give everyone 100K/year. Then there's no incentive to sell drugs. Not saying we should do that but crime is directly related to poverty
But if you don't do that, and the crime is happening, then ENFORCE THE LAWS IN A BRUTAL MANNER if need be, without consideration of which demographics bear the brunt of the beatdown.

But if you don't do that, and the crime is happening, then ENFORCE THE LAWS IN A BRUTAL MANNER if need be, without consideration of which demographics bear the brunt of the beatdown.
How would you enforce the laws in a brutal manner?

How would you enforce the laws in a brutal manner?
Charge everyone with everything, throw the book at them, no leniency, increase patrols, raids. None of this woke stuff where you let people go for minor crimes. I'd also sweep out all those homeless camps in places like SF and do it BY FORCE, no tents on the sidewalks. LAW & ORDER

Charge everyone with everything, throw the book at them, no leniency, increase patrols, raids. None of this woke stuff where you let people go for minor crimes. I'd also sweep out all those homeless camps in places like SF and do it BY FORCE, no tents on the sidewalks. LAW & ORDER
If you don't eliminate the poverty, your suggestions will only make marginal improvements. When people are poor, they turn to illegal activities. Not many of them will think "you know what, I may get 20 years instead of 10 for this robbery since Pgh is being tough now so I'm just going to apply to Target."

If you don't eliminate the poverty, your suggestions will only make marginal improvements. When people are poor, they turn to illegal activities. Not many of them will think "you know what, I may get 20 years instead of 10 for this robbery since Pgh is being tough now so I'm just going to apply to Target."
I'm all for eliminating the poverty, but at the same time, while we wait for the end to poverty that might never come, I'd prefer to use any means necessary to try to control crime, even beating down criminals desperate because of poverty that's not their fault.

Once again, stop believing the Chamber of Commerce type BS that gets put out by people with a vested interest in fooling people like you into believing things that aren't even remotely true.

Once again pontificating on something you know nothing about.

The average MLS payroll last season was $13.4 million. The average Liga MX payroll was $10.1 million. If you mashed all the teams together into one list the highest is Tigres, but the next three highest on the list, the Galaxy, Atlanta and Toronto, are MLS teams. The lowest MLS payroll last year was Colorado at $9.9 million. There were 12 Liga MX teams with smaller payrolls than that (out of 18), including two teams with total payrolls less than $4 million.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT