ADVERTISEMENT

Check Out Alabama's Future OOC Opponents

poconopanther

Redshirt
Jul 5, 2001
for you board experts that want Pitt to play all brand name teams on their ooc schedules and not schedule with balance of opponents check out Alabama - a program with four and five stars on their roster . This year they play Louisville, Arkansas State, ULLafayette and the Citadel. In 2019 they play Duke, Southern Miss, New Mexico State and Western Carolina. Future opponents include powers like Kent, Western Kentucky, Georgia State and Mercer. They have announced two game series with Notre Dame but they don't take place till 2029 and 2030.

Reactions: JPitt76 and Chaos
for you board experts that want Pitt to play all brand name teams on their ooc schedules and not schedule with balance of opponents check out Alabama - a program with four and five stars on their roster . This year they play Louisville, Arkansas State, ULLafayette and the Citadel. In 2019 they play Duke, Southern Miss, New Mexico State and Western Carolina. Future opponents include powers like Kent, Western Kentucky, Georgia State and Mercer. They have announced two game series with Notre Dame but they don't take place till 2029 and 2030.
Pitt fans are blind when it comes to common sense

For the 10001st time. UNTIL Pitt can start winning nine games a year consistently the need to schedule 3 winnable non conference games and 1 good rivalry ND( which I know is assigned by the ACC) and WVU.
Scheduling OK State did nothing for attendance. If we could finish 9-3 people would be happy and we would go to a decent bowl game and start building momentum. Getting the rap beat out of us by OK State serves no purpose.

To be fair, over the last few years, Bama has played FSU, USC, Wisky, WvU, VT, Michigan, PSU, non conference, and destroyed most of them, all double digit wins

Reactions: BFo8
To be fair, over the last few years, Bama has played FSU, USC, Wisky, WvU, VT, Michigan, PSU, non conference, and destroyed most of them, all double digit wins
When you’re playing for and winning national championships nearly every year, signing whonebe you want, filling your 100k stadium to capacity every week, playing in the toughest league in the country, bringing hundreds of millions of dollars into your school, do you really give a damn what anyone else thinks about who you put on your OOC schedule and the way you do your business?

It is hard to fathom that for as long as Pitt and Alabama have been playing football, they've never played one another.
Alabama AD: "I'm thinking about scheduling the Pitt Panthers, Paul."

Bear Bryant: "Oh, hell no!"

4 OOC games this is what i want and I think it is fair.

1) 1 Rivalry game WVU and ND since PSU wants nothing to do with us. We need to play 1 rivarly game every year
2)1 Minor P5 (Vandy, Illinois, Kansas, Texas Tech, Minn, Maryland) Is there a chance they are having a good year and it is possible loss? Yes but it is shameful to be so risk averse to not play at least 1 game a year against these types of teams. As the talent/team gets better maybe move this up to a OK State/Wisconsin/ Stanford type team.
3) 2 G5 mid/low teams-Obviously the MAC schools since they are relatively close.

I do not understand why the NCAA allows FBS schools to play against FCS schools. I hate seeing these games scheduled, and would prefer to see Pitt schedule 2 G5 games vs 1 G5 and 1 FCS. If this makes me an unreasonable who wants Pitt to play too challenging of a schedule, then so be it.

And it's poorly placed logic. Losing out of conference games in August makes games in October and November less meaningful. Not playing meaningful games in October and November is what really keeps the total attendance numbers down.

That's because Pitt fans view the OOC from the lens of how it would impact attendance.

4 OOC games this is what i want and I think it is fair.

1) 1 Rivalry game WVU and ND since PSU wants nothing to do with us. We need to play 1 rivarly game every year
2)1 Minor P5 (Vandy, Illinois, Kansas, Texas Tech, Minn, Maryland) Is there a chance they are having a good year and it is possible loss? Yes but it is shameful to be so risk averse to not play at least 1 game a year against these types of teams. As the talent/team gets better maybe move this up to a OK State/Wisconsin/ Stanford type team.
3) 2 G5 mid/low teams-Obviously the MAC schools since they are relatively close.

I do not understand why the NCAA allows FBS schools to play against FCS schools. I hate seeing these games scheduled, and would prefer to see Pitt schedule 2 G5 games vs 1 G5 and 1 FCS. If this makes me an unreasonable who wants Pitt to play too challenging of a schedule, then so be it.

Why is it "shameful" and "so risk averse" to play a schedule that features only one P5 opponent?

Pretty much everyone else schedules easy wins outside of one good OOC game.

We saw it with OK State last year. What benefit did we get from playing them? Here were the effects:
-National embarrassment from fans sleeping in their seats
-National embarrassment from our defense getting shredded (home and away)
-No boost in attendance at all
-2 losses

Play WVU or ND every year. Then play a MAC team, a bad Group of 5 team, and an FCS scrimmage to open the year. It's the only way. Screw attendance. The only way you boost that (outside of ND, WVU, or PSU) is winning, no matter the opponent.

This is exactly the kind of thinking that kills Pitt. Most schools just don't do that unless they have to.

Oklahoma state won ten games last year with Pitt being their only P5 OOC game. They don't have any OOC P5 games in 2018. Tell me how this is hurting them or the perception of their program? Unless they finish in contention for the playoff, it's not even an issue.

Pitt fans are blind when it comes to common sense
Really. That's a stupid comment, Pitt fans also want to buy season tickets to see some quality teams too, because when you play those teams those games are home, those teams don't sell tickets

To be fair, Bama's in conference schedule consists of big time recruiting powers LSU, Auburn, Tenn., and then decent recruiting teams like Ole Miss, Miss. State, Arkansas, and then rotating an SEC game that will include UGA, UF, South Carolina.
They have a pretty daunting schedule already, which is why they tend to ease up on the out of conference scheduling.
Although I suppose you could argue are conference schedule is daunting as well relative to the level we recruit at vs. the level of teams we play.

This is exactly the kind of thinking that kills Pitt. Most schools just don't do that unless they have to.

Oklahoma state won ten games last year with Pitt being their only P5 OOC game. They don't have any OOC P5 games in 2018. Tell me how this is hurting them or the perception of their program? Unless they finish in contention for the playoff, it's not even an issue.

It hasn't exactly helped them either. There's this idea among our fans that, "Hey, schedule easy wins, which will help the perception of the program, which will then help recruiting." But there isn't much evidence that it has helped Okie State. Their recruiting is still middle of the road. And they are largely perceived as a second tier, middle of the road program.

And it's poorly placed logic. Losing out of conference games in August makes games in October and November less meaningful. Not playing meaningful games in October and November is what really keeps the total attendance numbers down.

So untrue. No matter what you do OOC, conference play is a reset. If Pitt is in the hunt for a division title late in the season attendance will pick up, not drop.

Why is it "shameful" and "so risk averse" to play a schedule that features only one P5 opponent?

Pretty much everyone else schedules easy wins outside of one good OOC game.

We saw it with OK State last year. What benefit did we get from playing them? Here were the effects:
-National embarrassment from fans sleeping in their seats
-National embarrassment from our defense getting shredded (home and away)
-No boost in attendance at all
-2 losses

Play WVU or ND every year. Then play a MAC team, a bad Group of 5 team, and an FCS scrimmage to open the year. It's the only way. Screw attendance. The only way you boost that (outside of ND, WVU, or PSU) is winning, no matter the opponent.

The reason why most other schools can do that and get away with it is because they are in conference with their rival schools. Ok St is in conference with Oklahoma. Notice I didn't say play Ok St I said play Illinois, Minn, those type of teams. Yes you might get a bad break and those teams may be on their high, but most years they will not be.

Again Ok St plays their rival Oklahoma in conference, Pitt does not have that luxury so we have to schedule a 2nd P5 school.

You think a top 20 Pitt team will draw the same as an unranked Pitt team?

So untrue. No matter what you do OOC, conference play is a reset. If Pitt is in the hunt for a division title late in the season attendance will pick up, not drop.

You think a top 20 Pitt team will draw the same as an unranked Pitt team?

Yes I do. How many times has it been discussed on here that even in the 70's & 80's you know the Glory Years, that Pitt still only drew upper 40,000's low 50,000's about what we draw right now. Plus win the coastal and Pitt would be in the top 20 OOC record be damned.

Most years they try to have one big quality opponent. That's in addition to an SEC West schedule and often two playoff games. It's a good schedule though I hate the fact they don't travel north/west very much.

2017 FSU
2016 USC
2015 Wisconsin
2014 WVU
2013 Virginia Tech
2012 Michigan
2011 PSU
2010 PSU
2009 Virginia Tech
2008 Clemson

It is odd their 2019 OOC schedule is so remarkably bad. I don't think that's their long term plan.

They drew 35k last year. Let me check the math.....

Yep, just like suspected. 40k and 50k fans are more fans than 35k fans.

Meaningful games and being ranked draws more fans. See Pitt/Cincy in the Mardy Gilyard invitational. If Pitt's not ranked and not playing a meaningful game, you have Pitt/Miami this season.

Yes I do. How many times has it been discussed on here that even in the 70's & 80's you know the Glory Years, that Pitt still only drew upper 40,000's low 50,000's about what we draw right now. Plus win the coastal and Pitt would be in the top 20 OOC record be damned.

Last edited:
It's amazing how much we debate our non conference schedule on this board when the only realistic goal for Pitt football should be an ACC title. Which is based on winning our actual ACC games.

They drew 35k last year. Let me check the math.....

Yep, just like suspected. 40k and 50k fans are more fans than 35k fans.

Meaningful games and being ranked draws more fans. See Pitt/Cincy in the Mardy Gilyard invitational. If Pitt's not ranked and playing a meaningful game, you have Pitt/Miami this season.

Yes let look at 1 year and use that instead of looking at the past 5 years or decade. Do that and you will see that Pitt averages in the upper 40,000's with a couple games over 50,000 unless it is the big 3 where they sell out. But hey do whatever you have to make your argument look good no matter if you have to twist facts.

As far as your Pitt/Cincy game I agree with it. This past season even with the PSU and OSU loss, if Pitt won the Coastal games, they would be ranked and the stadium would have been filled against Miami. You know that is true so all of this BS about OOC losses prevents packed stadiums is total horseshit.

If Pitt wants to get better attendance then, compete for the Coastal and the OOC wins will come also regardless of who they play.

It hasn't exactly helped them either. There's this idea among our fans that, "Hey, schedule easy wins, which will help the perception of the program, which will then help recruiting." But there isn't much evidence that it has helped Okie State. Their recruiting is still middle of the road. And they are largely perceived as a second tier, middle of the road program.

Except that they (Oklahoma State) have won at least nine games eight out of the last ten years (10 or more wins for six of those years). Please explain how the national perception of OSU is the same or worse than Pitt and why Pitt fans wouldn't want to be in their class of programs?

Again Ok St plays their rival Oklahoma in conference, Pitt does not have that luxury so we have to schedule a 2nd P5 school.

Not really. Pitt plays in an arguably better conference with ND as a boiled in "OOC" opponent every few years. You realize that all three of OSU's losses were in conference but ended up with ten wins and a #14 final ranking? The also average low 30's for recruiting class ranking. Not stellar but then again, way better than Pitt.

Whereas Alabama fans show up regardless.

Some of them would show up just to get the chance to sit in an empty Bama stadium! They're dedicated and commited to their team.

In Alabama some families /married couples go back to their roots/family homes when Alabama plays Auburn. Of course Auburn is the Northern part of the state and Bama is the Southern. The Auburn fans think they came from a different "gene pool" than the Bama fans but thats a debate for another day.;

I never attended an Alabama game but I've been to a few LSU, two Auburn, one U of South Carolina and one Clemson game courtesy of co- workers and I couldn't believe the college football experience.
I met a guy on business named Bobby Skelton who was an project manager for the Alabama Department of Economic development, a former Bama QB who played for Bear Bryant. In addition to his day job he was an NFL official and we never could synch our schedules so he could take me to a Bama game. He recently died in his early 70's. That was my only shot at a Bama game?

Those U's could fill the stadiums two times on game day.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Not really. Pitt plays in an arguably better conference with ND as a boiled in "OOC" opponent every few years. You realize that all three of OSU's losses were in conference but ended up with ten wins and a #14 final ranking? The also average low 30's for recruiting class ranking. Not stellar but then again, way better than Pitt.

You do realize those that they did play a p5 school in Pitt. They handled their business that is why they were #14. If Pitt handles their business they are ranked. Simple as that no matter who they play OOC

You do realize those that they did play a p5 school in Pitt. They handled their business that is why they were #14. If Pitt handles their business they are ranked. Simple as that no matter who they play OOC

Pitt was a half away from going 4-8 but ended up "handling" Miami. Imagine if they had one other winnable OOC game and went 6-6 and qualified for a bowl game? Your QB would have one game under his belt as a starter by now. So explain the value of losing to a P5 rather than having a winnable game again?

Schedule wins. Our fans don't show up for decent OOC games. Maybe if we played Alabama or OSU we'd get a crowd but other than that, bring on Kansas, Oregon State or Rice.
^^^This.^^^. The idea that Pitt fans would show-up for a tough non-conference schedule is a myth. They didn’t show-up for a worthy Okie State team; they didn’t even show-up for the #2-ranked Miami team - a game that Pitt ended-up winning.

We should do what most of the other Power 5 teams do: fatten-up on weaker teams and go to a decent bowl. There are no style points awarded for degree-of-difficulty, so we should stop acting as though it matters.

Last edited:
It's not twisted logic. Pitt habitually over schedules verses other P5 schools. If you remove 2 OOC losses a year; they going to be ranked more than not. It's simple math and what most schools do to have the perception of being a better team than they might actually be.

Again, add 2 wins to almost any year over the last decade and Pitt is likely to be ranked. If Pitt is ranked and people are being told it's a big game- more fans show up. I'm not sure where the debate is in that. There's many examples of that as well.

Where you are wrong is saying the pedst and OkSt games don't matter. Losing those 2 games killed the walk up attendance for the rest of the season. Fans are sheep who need to be told what's important and what's not. Lose 2 OCC games and they are being told the season is over.

Yes let look at 1 year and use that instead of looking at the past 5 years or decade. Do that and you will see that Pitt averages in the upper 40,000's with a couple games over 50,000 unless it is the big 3 where they sell out. But hey do whatever you have to make your argument look good no matter if you have to twist facts.

As far as your Pitt/Cincy game I agree with it. This past season even with the PSU and OSU loss, if Pitt won the Coastal games, they would be ranked and the stadium would have been filled against Miami. You know that is true so all of this BS about OOC losses prevents packed stadiums is total horseshit.

If Pitt wants to get better attendance then, compete for the Coastal and the OOC wins will come also regardless of who they play.

I'm not sure where you are getting your opinions from. Okie St is among the top 20 winningest programs since 2000. There's 40some other P5 programs that would gladly trade results with the cowboys.

If Pitt gets to the top 20 in wins over the next 20 years- sign me (and everyone else) up.

I'm not sure where you are getting your opinions from. Okie St is among the top 20 winningest programs since 2000. There's 40some other P5 programs that would gladly trade results with the cowboys.

If Pitt gets to the top 20 in wins over the next 20 years- sign me (and everyone else) up.

Winning is important because it allows you to play in meaningful games. Play for meaningful titles. If we won 12 games every year and the reward for that was the Sun Bowl, people probably wouldn't value 12 wins as much.
I get that Okie State "wins" more. People keep bringing this up, and I already conceded that.
But what has that done for them?
The argument here seems to be:

Schedule easy wins
Which artificially inflates the win total on the season

Some people have pointed out that that doesn't help in conference. You end up .500 in conference anyway, and then end up in a run of the mill bowl game.

But then there is an additional step process people are arguing:

Articially inflate the win total on the season
Which improves recruiting
Which improves win total even more
So you elevate your program

Oklahoma State, for all their wins, hasn't done any of that. Over the last 10 to 15 years they have played in a horrible Big 12, playing horrible out of conference games, and it's gotten them mostly Alamo and Cotten bowl games and Heart of Dallas bowl games. And that's because the Big 12 sucks, so somebody has to get those games.
The "First you schedule easy wins, then you get the wins, then the recruits come" formula hasn't happened for them. Their recruiting has remained the same. They are a 9 to 10 win program that you can still largely pencil in for a Tier II bowl game every year, and they probably wouldn't be that if they weren't fortunate enough to play in the Big 12.

Last edited:
For the 10001st time. UNTIL Pitt can start winning nine games a year consistently the need to schedule 3 winnable non conference games and 1 good rivalry ND( which I know is assigned by the ACC) and WVU.
Scheduling OK State did nothing for attendance. If we could finish 9-3 people would be happy and we would go to a decent bowl game and start building momentum. Getting the rap beat out of us by OK State serves no purpose.
Bingo! Unless an OOC game is PSU, ND, or WVU, it doesn't move the attendance needle at all. We need W's. Scheduling teams like OSU or Nebraska makes absolutely no sense.

Cruzer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT