ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly on College Football

If he were still at Oregon with unlimited Phil Knight money would he still take this stance?

Reactions: Dan1911
If he were still at Oregon with unlimited Phil Knight money would he still take this stance?

No, but his plan is flawed explain to me why the team making $90M in their conference would want to make the same money as Oklahoma State, Boston College or my school GT. It doesn’t benefit Alabama, Ohio State or USC. Without the blue blood teams this has no chance

Reactions: cashisking884
It’s hard for me to take anything Chip Kelly says seriously right now, he’s a guy that needed to beat USC in their last game or he was almost definitely going to be fired. He will be on the shortest of the short leashes nationwide heading into next season.

No, but his plan is flawed explain to me why the team making $90M in their conference would want to make the same money as Oklahoma State, Boston College or my school GT. It doesn’t benefit Alabama, Ohio State or USC. Without the blue blood teams this has no chance
That's how it works now with Alabama making the same as Vanderbilt.

I think this idea is fantastic for a bunch of reasons.

1. It keeps geographical rivalries alive in football while at the same time allows for regional conferences in all other sports.

2. It separates the P5 schools and the G5 schools. That opens up the opportunity for teams that have no chance of making the playoffs or winning a title to have their own system.

3. It gets rid of this stupid boosters pay-for-play and distributes the TV money to the players who are actually earning the money for the schools.

As previously mentioned, for every Alabama and Ohio State, there's a Vanderbilt and Northwestern. It happens now.

Reactions: Burgh15
Because there are a lot more have not than haves in college football and the road they’re currently going down will eventually lead to the bubble bursting…there isn’t infinitive amounts of money and what goes up eventually comes down. The big money schools, in part, make the money they make because the smaller money schools as a whole bring a lot of eyeballs to the entire sport because fans of the smaller schools are invested because they have a perceived seat at the table.

If they continue to push the smaller money schools out and squeeze every single cent out of college football they’re going to eventually have a hard fall. I’m a Pitt fan and won’t be invested or interested when Pitt gets left behind. I will resent the state of college football and ignore the Power 2 or whatever they’ll call themselves.

The money and popularity of the sport is the way it is based on the exact variables as they currently exist. If they continue to change and overhaul major variables like they are, the equation will eventually change on them. These types of things have happened in many areas of life and industry. The powers that be in a state of euphoric greed can’t see the forest for the trees.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Correct. Greed will always win out.
The FAT & $EC would never agree to this arrangement. Neither care about “College Football” or what is “Good for the Game”.
They only care about $$$$$$$$ and how much of it they can get for themselves. If that means less or nothing for others, so be it.

It would be fascinating to see this happen, particularly with the distribution of money. If the playing fields were now even would kids long to go to Georgia or Alabama? Maybe so, because coaching and recruiting would become tantamount and not dollars. Hope it happens.

Reactions: CbgPanther
It’s hard for me to take anything Chip Kelly says seriously right now, he’s a guy that needed to beat USC in their last game or he was almost definitely going to be fired. He will be on the shortest of the short leashes nationwide heading into next season.
The idea that he is on a short leash at UCLA has nothing to do with his views on the current mess.

Keeping rivalries makes sense.

Getting boosters out of the paying of players makes sense

Kelly can go 1-11 next year and be looking for work.

Doesn't dismiss some logical comments on his part.

The idea that he is on a short leash at UCLA has nothing to do with his views on the current mess.

Keeping rivalries makes sense.

Getting boosters out of the paying of players makes sense

Kelly can go 1-11 next year and be looking for work.

Doesn't dismiss some logical comments on his part.
Personally, I like his idea. But what he suggesting will never happen because that would essentially turn college football into having the same system as the NFL. And all those folks that think NCAA > NFL will never go down that path. Chip Kelly did coach in the NFL and he is coaching in city with two NFL franchises, so he probably has a lot of respect for what the NFL does. I guarantee you the guys in charge of the SEC don't view it the same.

I understand college football won't be what it was, but I agree with basically every point Chip Kelly brings up.

The idea of every football team being independent like ND and keeping the conferences regional for other sports makes so much sense. It would also allow schools like Ohio State and Alabama to negotiate their own TV deals and they will get much more than Vandy and Indiana.

It would be fascinating to see this happen, particularly with the distribution of money. If the playing fields were now even would kids long to go to Georgia or Alabama? Maybe so, because coaching and recruiting would become tantamount and not dollars. Hope it happens.
It would be even only with revenue sharing, but the big schools would still have the advantage with their donor base. The big schools will still have better facilities and larger recruiting budgets.

It very well could happen because the current framework is legally untenable. Football needs an antitrust exemption to goth has off the lawsuits like the rest of the major sports leagues. To get that, they will need wide support in Congress from both parties and the value of history.

What will those Congresspeople want for their support? The inclusion of their state schools or alma mater or their r largest alumni base of their district.

The second thing they need is a historical purpose. The preservation of rivalries and their tradition of “inclusion”.

That's how it works now with Alabama making the same as Vanderbilt.

I think this idea is fantastic for a bunch of reasons.

1. It keeps geographical rivalries alive in football while at the same time allows for regional conferences in all other sports.

2. It separates the P5 schools and the G5 schools. That opens up the opportunity for teams that have no chance of making the playoffs or winning a title to have their own system.

3. It gets rid of this stupid boosters pay-for-play and distributes the TV money to the players who are actually earning the money for the schools.
I have said for a few years now, and even here, that we are slowing trending towards the Super Best Friends Conference, everyone back in geographical pods, and the winners of the 12 pods go to the the playoff.

I do wholeheartedly agree that the individual conference TV contracts must go.

Reactions: Burgh15
The numbers of haves is shrinking weekly. Even Ohio State is seeing some of their top recruits now taking visits to SEC schools, and their fans are blaming their perceived weakness of NIL for that. Ohio State! If they can't compete with the southern schools in NIL, there is no hope for any other school north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Flawed if you look at it fiscally, but what he has done here is something I have heard no other P5 coach talk about and that is the integrity of the game as it relates to long term competition in college football . Just because the revenue that some of the schools bring in isn’t equal, doesn’t mean that they don’t represent competition which is critical for the smaller market teams tk have a chance at rebuilding. What the current structure emphasizes is the financial power. If the P2 conferences continue as is, you will no longer see the likes of the B1G and SEC playing meaningful games out of conference.

It wasn’t long ago that Alabama and Georgia were irrelevant in the national championship conversation. The current construct ensures they will be perpetually in that conversation.

And that reflects negatively somehow on his opinions about where college football goes from here?

And that reflects negatively somehow on his opinions about where college football goes from here?
Not really, just my feeling he’s a guy taking shots at fixing problems on his way out the door of big time football.

Correct. Greed will always win out.
The FAT & $EC would never agree to this arrangement. Neither care about “College Football” or what is “Good for the Game”.
They only care about $$$$$$$$ and how much of it they can get for themselves. If that means less or nothing for others, so be it.
Right. As opposed to all the other leagues that are just in it for the school spirit.

You’d better believe if the ACC or the B12 had the juice and clout, they’d be leveraging the hell out of it. But they don’t.

Reactions: cashisking884
No, I agree. I just think he’s being a hypocrite.
Everyone is a hypocrite, how often do you complain when you get into an undeserved position of power? Do you call a press conference and say "I resign because I don't deserve these advantages" :)

Yep.

College football just isn’t moving in that direction.

I get that people hate that. But Alabama doesn’t care that, for the time being, Vandy is getting propped up, so you might as well prop up Oregon State forever.

What does one have to do with another?
Dave Gavitt was 10-16 his last year at Providence and had a career that roughy parallels that of Kelly.
Gavitt created the Big East and it has thrived, survived and is thriving again.
Good ideas stand on their own.

The more people that lose interest is the only way it changes. I havent watched a game outside of Pitt and ECU all year. I cant stomach it anymore. I watch a lot more NFL. At least guys have contracts and stay more than a year or 2. And there is a salary cap

What does one have to do with another?
Dave Gavitt was 10-16 his last year at Providence and had a career that roughy parallels that of Kelly.
Gavitt created the Big East and it has thrived, survived and is thriving again.
Good ideas stand on their own.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread it’s just that I find it a little disingenuous that a guy whos not going to be coaching P5 football much longer is proposing sweeping changes to the sport.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread it’s just that I find it a little disingenuous that a guy whos not going to be coaching P5 football much longer is proposing sweeping changes to the sport.
Sweeping changes that some fans have suggested and they also don't coach in college football. The ideas are significantly better than anything they're actually doing right now.

The more people that lose interest is the only way it changes. I havent watched a game outside of Pitt and ECU all year. I cant stomach it anymore. I watch a lot more NFL. At least guys have contracts and stay more than a year or 2. And there is a salary cap

How can there be a salary cap in college football? Schools aren’t directly paying players, so there is no salary even to cap.

Some of the “the have nots have no chance and it’s just the same teams dominating and leaving everybody behind and it’s killing the game” takes are a little too fishbowl.

We had 6 or 7 playoff worthy teams this year. And none are so much better than others.

Of the 4 playoff teams, if anyone won it, would you be shocked? Decent recruiting class Washington could be your national champion.

People just think the opportunity has to be spread amongst allllllll teams. But it never has. Never will. And can’t be. Northwestern will never compete for a national title.

A lot of the wishcasting seems to be, “college football needs to be regulated until the field is level enough that Pitt can win the national tittle.” And so all evidence of actual parity happening amongst certain tiers, or other teams moving into elevated tiers, is ignored.

Look at 247 recruiting classes rankings.

There’s not a single team with a 94 average recruit ranking.

Missouri, South Carolina, and Colorado all have 5* players committed.

You’re getting as close to parity as college football can get thanks to NIL.

It's not really just about parity, it's not having the USC volleyball team fly across country for a match against Rutgers. It's about maintaining regional rivalries. It's providing the G5 a chance to compete for a title in their own division. It's about the boosters not having to pay the salary of the players, but rather using the TV money they're earning.

Reactions: Seneca_Valley
He’s absolutely right, and it’s what I’ve been advocating for on here for years now. Let football create their ‘super league’ and have the rest of the athletic departments revert to regionally-centric conferences.

I can’t help but think some people are hoping that the toothpaste will find its way back into the tube. I’m all for the kids getting paid. I just don’t see Vanderbilt, Rutgers, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Minnesota or any other team that doesn’t really have a chance of winning a championship voting to give up money to help Pittsburgh, Oklahoma State, GT, Wake Forest, Baylor.

They have no incentive whatsoever to do so. Their tv contracts pay them $90M on average. Why would they want to share the money evenly to make $50M? Makes no sense, Texas, Alabama, Ohio State and Michigan don’t want a fair system either.

NCAA doesn’t have a say, Congress isn’t getting involved nor should they. So unless the ratings truly blow next year for the expanded playoffs (which they won’t) we’re 10 years away from Chips plan and he’ll be long gone from coaching.

NCAA doesn’t have a say, Congress isn’t getting involved nor should they. So unless the ratings truly blow next year for the expanded playoffs (which they won’t) we’re 10 years away from Chips plan and he’ll be long gone from coaching.
Only because this has been brought up twice now, what does Chip Kelly coaching have to do with the ideas he's bringing up? Completely irrelevant.

Only because this has been brought up twice now, what does Chip Kelly coaching have to do with the ideas he's bringing up? Completely irrelevant.

Lol .. you read all the comments I wrote and offered no explanation whatsoever to counterpoint them. Then picked that to reply about? Okay 👍🏻

I agree with you Chip Kelly coaching is completely irrelevant. I put it in Jeff strictly to note he most likely won’t be coaching in 8years when “his plan” would have his first opportunity to actually happen. Since that’s when the B1G’s media deal ends. The SEC’s deal with ESPN ends in 2034 I believe.

I’m not saying he’s wrong but the SEC, B1G & B12 conferences just signed new 8-10 year deals. You just can’t rip them up and do something else. Unless you get 100% of those involved to agree. Which they won’t, that’s my point here.

Lol .. you read all the comments I wrote and offered no explanation whatsoever to counterpoint them. Then picked that to reply about? Okay 👍🏻

I agree with you Chip Kelly coaching is completely irrelevant. I put it in Jeff strictly to note he most likely won’t be coaching in 8years when “his plan” would have his first opportunity to actually happen. Since that’s when the B1G’s media deal ends. The SEC’s deal with ESPN ends in 2034 I believe.

I’m not saying he’s wrong but the SEC, B1G & B12 conferences just signed new 8-10 year deals. You just can’t rip them up and do something else. Unless you get 100% of those involved to agree. Which they won’t, that’s my point here.
I don't care about congress or any of that stuff, just that his plan was a good idea. Considering they never do anything that I'd consider a good idea in college football, I wouldn't expect them to even consider something like this.

Reactions: cease10
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT