ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Peak thinking

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
Pitt likely to only add one more recruit.

Anyone agree with that assessment?

Reactions: TWPitt
Does he mean a recruit as in a high school recruit? If so, I can see that. If he means recruit as in “new addition to the roster” then I’m not so sure.

Does he mean a recruit as in a high school recruit? If so, I can see that. If he means recruit as in “new addition to the roster” then I’m not so sure.

One way or another - high school, JUCO, transfer - Capel has put together a roster. There will likely be one more addition and we’ll see how that player fits in. But I think what we see now is the group of players who will take the court for Pitt this season.

It would be idiotic if we only add 1 more player. We should add 3 more players. Injuries are going to happen and some guys aren’t ready for this level of competition.

It would be idiotic if we only add 1 more player. We should add 3 more players. Injuries are going to happen and some guys aren’t ready for this level of competition.
Only bringing in one additional recruit would explain the lack of public activity.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I hope he gets his booster shot and is “all fired up and ready to go”
Well to be fair I have no problem with Capel and how he addressed it “being a bitch”. I didn’t see that as him using it as an excuse. I thought that was more as a person saying - be careful and avoid it if you can cause it’s nasty. I don’t know that Capel himself has used it as an excuse (and don’t know that he didn’t either). It’s a bunch of dopes here and Lyke mentioning it that drove me especially crazy.

Ehhh filling the back end of the roster with 3-4 guys who are functionally walk-ons isn’t really better than not filling it at all.
And I assume that’s why these spots won’t get filled if they don’t. But 2021 recruiting has been underwhelming to say the least and I have a hard time being too optimistic about 22. But I hope I’m dead wrong.

Ehhh filling the back end of the roster with 3-4 guys who are functionally walk-ons isn’t really better than not filling it at all.

I was half kidding, but I'd still rather have 3-4 grad transfers than nothing at all.

Do we know if Burton is cleared to play for sure or does he need to get a waiver?
Yes, I would like to know this answer, too, because I saw a post when he committed from I think someone covering the team that they would have to apply for another waiver, not sure bet, but they think they have a case. I can see how at best this ends up like Nike, where he gets hung out right up to or even after the season starts.

We have 11 players so 3 more to give since Nike doesn't "count."

PG - Femi
SG - Horton
SF - Sibande
PF - Oladapo
C - Hugley

Bench
Jeffress
Collier
Burton (maybe)
Payton
Santos
Amadusun

Very disappointed in our "transfer class."

Yes, I would like to know this answer, too, because I saw a post when he committed from I think someone covering the team that they would have to apply for another waiver, not sure bet, but they think they have a case. I can see how at best this ends up like Nike, where he gets hung out right up to or even after the season starts.
I don’t have a definitive answer to this, but my understanding is that he will indeed need a waiver and obviously it remains to be seen how lenient the NCAA will be with them regardless of circumstances because of the free transfer. I have been working with a grad transfer who transferred previously and it’s been relayed that he will “most likely” receive the waiver because he graduated and had a coach issue. But it’s the ncaa so...

take my info with a grain of salt though with the ncaa

I don’t have a definitive answer to this, but my understanding is that he will indeed need a waiver and obviously it remains to be seen how lenient the NCAA will be with them regardless of circumstances because of the free transfer. I have been working with a grad transfer who transferred previously and it’s been relayed that he will “most likely” receive the waiver because he graduated and had a coach issue. But it’s the ncaa so...

take my info with a grain of salt though with the ncaa
Well then, we definitely need to add another point to be protected

I know it’s the NCAA we’re talking about, but I can’t imagine them being too strict - it will cause them such a PR headache. There are a ton of kids who entered the portal this year under the impression that the transfer rule would be lifted...without any indication by the NCAA that you’d still need a waiver if you transferred before. I feel like they almost HAVE to say that the “you need a waiver if you transferred before” rule will go into effect next year, and everyone’s good to go this year. So many kids have been relying on incorrect information.

I know it’s the NCAA we’re talking about, but I can’t imagine them being too strict - it will cause them such a PR headache. There are a ton of kids who entered the portal this year under the impression that the transfer rule would be lifted...without any indication by the NCAA that you’d still need a waiver if you transferred before. I feel like they almost HAVE to say that the “you need a waiver if you transferred before” rule will go into effect next year, and everyone’s good to go this year. So many kids have been relying on incorrect information.
When the rule was passed, it was said to be retroactive if you already received a waiver. Double transfers like Mac McClung would have to sit out, which is why he pulled his name from the portal before foregoing his eligibility.

Terrel
Kene
Peace
Sampson
Kham Davis
Boykins

none really belonged on an ACC roster
Yeah, I think a guy like TB was a fine use of a scholarship as a long-term developmental big. Turns out he just didn’t have the motor or temperament to really be effective at this level. But I don’t think it was a bad use of a scholarship.

The other guys? Woof.

Yeah, I think a guy like TB was a fine use of a scholarship as a long-term developmental big. Turns out he just didn’t have the motor or temperament to really be effective at this level. But I don’t think it was a bad use of a scholarship.

The other guys? Woof.
Agreed I’d rather have 8 guys than see peace or Sampson again

If you could have combined Terrell’s physical traits with Kene’s motor you would have had one hell of a player.

Do we know if Burton is cleared to play for sure or does he need to get a waiver?

I "think" he's going to need a waiver of some sort. I hope he can play in 2021.
Believe there's 3-4 spots left. Would like maybe another HS and a Grad Transfer guy. Khalil Brantley and Sterling Manley anyone?
I understand Capel really focusing on 2022, but that's no guarantee either. Definitely needs 4-ish scholarships for then. Would be nice to get a commit or two come June/Summer months and start early for once. Would be nice to have a better recruiting/assistant coach on staff as well.

Reactions: Jeffburgh and gary2

That's good news, because under those new guidelines basically no one is going to be eligible without sitting out a year. Them waiting until January 2022 to put those rules into effect means that Burton still has a chance to get one under the old, Oprah-like standard.

"You get a waiver, and you get a waiver, and you get a waiver!"

Reactions: cabe23
Pitt likely to only add one more recruit.

Anyone agree with that assessment?

I don't. I would imagine most recruits and most people would ask themselves who is Chris Peak? He is a nothing burger except around these forums.

I think Capel will take any player he feels can help, because he needs it. Not even June. Who knows what will happen. Calling it here is a failure to understand the quick moving recruiting landscape we see now.

Capel has swung and missed frequently this spring. It is an unfortunate turn of players leaving for various reasons, and it is easy - though maybe not fair - to paint the staff as inept.

Pitt has not been a destination school for very few high profile players. There are no points awarded for making the short list if you are not #1. Recruiting in higher education - even outside of athletics - is absolutely brutal right now.

Pitt has not had resounding success in the transfer portal at any point in my recent memory. Expecting the roster deficiencies to be filled through that process is probably not realistic. The transfers of prominent pieces to the rotation the last two years is what it is - unfortunate. There was no way - even in a year like this - that the ledger would balance when so many other destination schools could offer the same thing Pitt would (PT).

I can see two more players being added - combination of a late decision, a JUCO, a transfer - but I don't see anybody at this point that would sign with Pitt being a difference maker in W/L for next year.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr and gary2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT