ADVERTISEMENT

Cignetti interview

Narduzzi should not be evaluating the QBs that is cignettis job and he sucks at it. I hated the Cignetti rehire when it happens and I can’t hate it more as he continues to ineptly run his offense.

This offseason Coach Narduzzi has to fire Cignetti then go hire an OC who can develop QBs. The only way to win in college football is with QB play. Find that OC and give them the reigns and let them bring in any QBs they want.
It’s hard to imagine any P5 HCs watching that BC offense while Cignasty was there and thinking, man it sure would be great to hire the guy who’s running that.

The question was did you consider changing QBs? It's a yes or no answer.

I say this fully understanding that if j
Jurk struggles again he needs to come out. There no need to broadcast anything.
You fully understand that, I’m not sure Narduzzi or Cignetti do. That’s the massive problem here.

Is it stubbornness or an indication that the next guy is even worse?
Honestly I don't think so. It didn't look like a decision problem it looked like an accuracy problem on most of them. Of the 10 passes that were caught most of them were great catches on lollipop throws. I'm just curious what these receivers can do with an accurate QB. We won't find out unless an injury occurs which I wish on no one.

In this article, Cignetti said he never thought about changing QB’s in the loss to Cincinnati. This is concerning on many levels. Here are a few:

1. What will it take for him to consider a change? Saturday was as bad as I’ve ever seen a QB play.

2. I see this as Narduzzi’s stubbornness rubbing off on Cignetti. Pulling Phil probably would have shot his confidence, but sometimes you gotta tear someone down to build them back up.

3. I’m deeply concerned about Narduzzi’s ability to evaluate talent in the transfer portal. Slovis was miserable, Jurkovec is trending towards being awful. QB is a position you can’t afford to miss in your evaluation.

4. I saw in a separate article that Narduzzi blamed Phil’s struggles on the pressure he faced. I’m not standing up for the O-Line here, but does anyone see adjustments to help this offense? Narduzzi claims there were 25 pass protection issues on 44 drop backs. If true, that’s atrocious, and has me asking serious questions about Cignetti, Borb, and Narduzzi.

Deep devotion to a player can be problematic, because it can skew your judgement, making it difficult to accurately put your best 11 on the field at the risk of hurting feelings. The problems with this offense are multiple and run deep, maybe deeper than what Cignetti and Narduzzi are capable of fixing.

Gosh, first off... I HOPE Narduzi isnt the one choosing QBs for the team through the ttansfer portal. He is a defensive minded coach, and I dont think he would at all be the right guy to assess QB talent through the portal. If that is the case, as you contend, that needs to change immediately, as the OC needs to do that. If the OC sucks at that, then we need a new OC.

I agree that we should have made a QB change. I will say this every year though, I have no idea how good the back up is, and the coaches do know this. I can only assume it means the next guy isnt as good as you think he is.

Definitely like how the coaches make adjustments, especially the past few years, it seems we always start the second half well and come back in ugly games

Gosh, first off... I HOPE Narduzi isnt the one choosing QBs for the team through the ttansfer portal. He is a defensive minded coach, and I dont think he would at all be the right guy to assess QB talent through the portal. If that is the case, as you contend, that needs to change immediately, as the OC needs to do that. If the OC sucks at that, then we need a new OC.

I agree that we should have made a QB change. I will say this every year though, I have no idea how good the back up is, and the coaches do know this. I can only assume it means the next guy isnt as good as you think he is.

Definitely like how the coaches make adjustments, especially the past few years, it seems we always start the second half well and come back in ugly games
Not only is he the one picking, I think the evidence clearly shows it. He coaxed Slovis here knowing Whipple would be gone; likely the two weren’t even speaking by then. And I think he went through an elaborate scheme to get Jurkovec, going to the extreme to bring Cignetti here, saddling the school and himself with a very dubious OC for several expensive seasons, to attract Jurkovec to transfer for a single year(!). I actually admire such hunger to get a difference maker, but Jurk certainly had not shown any evidence he would be such a guy.

Last edited:

In this article, Cignetti said he never thought about changing QB’s in the loss to Cincinnati. This is concerning on many levels. Here are a few:

1. What will it take for him to consider a change? Saturday was as bad as I’ve ever seen a QB play.

2. I see this as Narduzzi’s stubbornness rubbing off on Cignetti. Pulling Phil probably would have shot his confidence, but sometimes you gotta tear someone down to build them back up.

3. I’m deeply concerned about Narduzzi’s ability to evaluate talent in the transfer portal. Slovis was miserable, Jurkovec is trending towards being awful. QB is a position you can’t afford to miss in your evaluation.

4. I saw in a separate article that Narduzzi blamed Phil’s struggles on the pressure he faced. I’m not standing up for the O-Line here, but does anyone see adjustments to help this offense? Narduzzi claims there were 25 pass protection issues on 44 drop backs. If true, that’s atrocious, and has me asking serious questions about Cignetti, Borb, and Narduzzi.

Deep devotion to a player can be problematic, because it can skew your judgement, making it difficult to accurately put your best 11 on the field at the risk of hurting feelings. The problems with this offense are multiple and run deep, maybe deeper than what Cignetti and Narduzzi are capable of fixing.
Our interior line is a work in progress. It didn’t get much push against Wofford and looked completely overmatched against Cincy, granted we were playing against one of the top DTs in the nation. Phil/Cignetti are very much a go-through progressions offense. For us to succeed, the interior oline must improve. Unfortunately a WVU strength is their DL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT