ADVERTISEMENT

Cignetti interview

Jun 3, 2023

In this article, Cignetti said he never thought about changing QB’s in the loss to Cincinnati. This is concerning on many levels. Here are a few:

1. What will it take for him to consider a change? Saturday was as bad as I’ve ever seen a QB play.

2. I see this as Narduzzi’s stubbornness rubbing off on Cignetti. Pulling Phil probably would have shot his confidence, but sometimes you gotta tear someone down to build them back up.

3. I’m deeply concerned about Narduzzi’s ability to evaluate talent in the transfer portal. Slovis was miserable, Jurkovec is trending towards being awful. QB is a position you can’t afford to miss in your evaluation.

4. I saw in a separate article that Narduzzi blamed Phil’s struggles on the pressure he faced. I’m not standing up for the O-Line here, but does anyone see adjustments to help this offense? Narduzzi claims there were 25 pass protection issues on 44 drop backs. If true, that’s atrocious, and has me asking serious questions about Cignetti, Borb, and Narduzzi.

Deep devotion to a player can be problematic, because it can skew your judgement, making it difficult to accurately put your best 11 on the field at the risk of hurting feelings. The problems with this offense are multiple and run deep, maybe deeper than what Cignetti and Narduzzi are capable of fixing.

He should be thinking about replacing the RG. Fix the big problems first... then if your QB can't execute with less pressure you can bench him.

I wonder why Duzz and Cigs would sabotage the team and their careers by not making these obvious changes? Has anyone tried calling Heather and letting her know what exactly is going on here?

There you go again! The OC and QB stink. Why haven't you noticed this by now?

What's the upside of sticking with a 6th year guy that is only going to be with the program one season only?

If they have legitimate reason to believe he is going to turn it around and the season will be special; then great. If not, it seems like it is better to get one of the guys that will be around next year reps; so you aren't starting over again with a limited experience QB.

Worst case scenario is the guy you put in ends up being awful and you can go to the transfer portal selling guys on the opportunity to start if they can beat out the guy that played awful.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Jurk has never thrown more than 3TDs in a game, which means Cignetti offense hasn't done that in years, if ever. Slovis didn't have any games at Pitt where he threw more than 3 TDs. He only threw 10 TDs all season long. He had six 4+ TD passing games at USC. And he threw 4 TDs in game two with BYU last weekend. And ran in a 5th.

Maybe. Just maaaaaaybe. Cignetti's offense stinks?

99% of the time, the next guy is even worse. If Jurkovec continues to play this badly and doesn't get pulled, it means Villeaux really sucks.
Or the starter lacks the toughness to accept being benched and regresses. None of the scenarios are good when your qb goes 10-32 and you do not make a change.

I for one am in favor of replacing a player mid game and talking to him on the sideline about the team needed a spark speech!

Or the starter lacks the toughness to accept being benched and regresses. None of the scenarios are good when your qb goes 10-32 and you do not make a change.

I for one am in favor of replacing a player mid game and talking to him on the sideline about the team needed a spark speech!

This. They know he will pout like a little bit.... I mean they know he's a grown ass man and will work harder to get back in.

In this article, Cignetti said he never thought about changing QB’s in the loss to Cincinnati. This is concerning on many levels. Here are a few:

1. What will it take for him to consider a change? Saturday was as bad as I’ve ever seen a QB play.

2. I see this as Narduzzi’s stubbornness rubbing off on Cignetti. Pulling Phil probably would have shot his confidence, but sometimes you gotta tear someone down to build them back up.

3. I’m deeply concerned about Narduzzi’s ability to evaluate talent in the transfer portal. Slovis was miserable, Jurkovec is trending towards being awful. QB is a position you can’t afford to miss in your evaluation.

4. I saw in a separate article that Narduzzi blamed Phil’s struggles on the pressure he faced. I’m not standing up for the O-Line here, but does anyone see adjustments to help this offense? Narduzzi claims there were 25 pass protection issues on 44 drop backs. If true, that’s atrocious, and has me asking serious questions about Cignetti, Borb, and Narduzzi.

Deep devotion to a player can be problematic, because it can skew your judgement, making it difficult to accurately put your best 11 on the field at the risk of hurting feelings. The problems with this offense are multiple and run deep, maybe deeper than what Cignetti and Narduzzi are capable of fixing.
This fanbase is ridiculous. It was one game. I see if it was 3 or 4 but we are talking about one game.

The offensive line was beyond terrible. Any QB would have looked bad. Did anybody not watch NFL week 1 with the bad offensive lines making quality QBs look medicroe. Our offensive line stunk! Everybody whining about Phil but what about the two 6th year senion offensive lineman being manhandled all game. Jake Kradel got pancaked multiple times. Then the fact we have a true freshman at RG speaks to our poor recruiting of offensive lineman. That kid got abused all night as well. If the offensive line does not improve then neither will the run game or QB play its that simple. Football starts up front, a solid OLINE and DLINE will take you a long way.

This fanbase is ridiculous. It was one game. I see if it was 3 or 4 but we are talking about one game.

The offensive line was beyond terrible. Any QB would have looked bad. Did anybody not watch NFL week 1 with the bad offensive lines making quality QBs look medicroe. Our offensive line stunk! Everybody whining about Phil but what about the two 6th year senion offensive lineman being manhandled all game. Jake Kradel got pancaked multiple times. Then the fact we have a true freshman at RG speaks to our poor recruiting of offensive lineman. That kid got abused all night as well. If the offensive line does not improve then neither will the run game or QB play its that simple. Football starts up front, a solid OLINE and DLINE will take you a long way.

If we can't maintain a solid OL, then we need to account for that reality.

True, I think the game against WVU will tell us if it's a technique issue or we just suck.
Which is why I argued in July you don’t run off 4 star OL kids. I’m not saying Ryan Howerton is going to be Orlando Pace. But, the risk taking project 3 star kids is that sometimes, those kids need to play early, and they end up struggling mightily.

There’s a few different articles floating around after Cig’s interview. This one is meh, what do you expect him to say, yeah Phil was really struggling and I came close to pulling him.

My eyes perked up more in the article talking about how he admitted his mistake with Rodney Hammond…only 6 touches vs Cincy and only 12 total in the 1st 2 games. Well, good to hear Cig may have woken up from his sleep walk through the first 2 games!

Reactions: Ski11585
There’s a few different articles floating around after Cig’s interview. This one is meh, what do you expect him to say, yeah Phil was really struggling and I came close to pulling him.

My eyes perked up more in the article talking about how he admitted his mistake with Rodney Hammond…only 6 touches vs Cincy and only 12 total in the 1st 2 games. Well, good to hear Cig may have woken up from his sleep walk through the first 2 games!

So we are going to get Hammond for 2 yards on the first two plays against WVU. Followed by a 3rd and 8, penalty, now 3rd and 13, then a 3 yard pass and a punt.

Yea, getting Hammond involved may not matter if the O-Line continues to struggle

1. It would be idiotic for any of the coaches to state to the press that they thought about replacing their starting QB. That would do irreparable harm to the player's confidence and the relationship between the player and his coaches. And the players are all big boys, they know what's at stake when they don't play well.
2. It's just the second game, and Jurk came here to start for Cignetti. the reason for that is that the coaches evaluated the QB room before him and didn't like what they saw. Veilleux may end up being a good option but my guess is he is still on the low end of the learning curve and the coaches do not believe he is ready to step in and get it done.
3. The OL has been bad through two games, and that impacts the QB immensely. I doubt they will get much better this season, but it could happen. Personnel wise the offense is well below average for a P5 team. Closer to UVA than to Clemson or FSU.
4. Jurk has stunk regardless of protection issues. he has mechanical flaws with his arm and footwork that ain't gonna get any better after 6 years of college football. I think we're seeing exactly why ND wasn't interested in keeping him around. That said, he's very likely the only QB we have that can run the entirety of the playbook.
5. Cignetti has stunk in his job as OC as well. I think we're seeing what a lot of us were afraid we'd see out of him. He's a lot closer to Watson philosophically and as a playcaller than he is to Whip or Canada. let's face it, there was zero competition for his services while he was at BC. He's a slug.
6. Other than that, we're in great shape.

As someone who goes out of the way to buy tickets, donate, attend all the games, pay to park, eat, drink etc … doesn’t sit right with me that the coaches just cavalierly forfeit games away because pulling the main problem player, changing up something in the game plan that is clearly not working, etc., doesn’t fit some esoteric ‘master plan’ (or some back room promise to a player) they’ve concocted.

This is a product and you are serving a consumer, and it’s imperative to do everything and anything to try to provide the best product … and in this case, that’s a victory. It’s not realistic to expect some games have any chance in hell to be won, ie the ACC championship game against Clemson back in whatever year… but you sure as hell need to be pulling out all stops to try to beat a lame G5 team (I know, not anymore) like Cincy.

They did the same exact thing Vs GT last year. You KNEW sticking with Slovis meant a sure loss, against likely the worst team in D1 football at that time…yet you let it happen.

You CAN’T just allow games that should be a near-certain victory to be a absolute-certain loss out of ego. That’s garbage.

Narduzzi should not be evaluating the QBs that is cignettis job and he sucks at it. I hated the Cignetti rehire when it happens and I can’t hate it more as he continues to ineptly run his offense.

This offseason Coach Narduzzi has to fire Cignetti then go hire an OC who can develop QBs. The only way to win in college football is with QB play. Find that OC and give them the reigns and let them bring in any QBs they want.

Narduzzi should not be evaluating the QBs that is cignettis job and he sucks at it. I hated the Cignetti rehire when it happens and I can’t hate it more as he continues to ineptly run his offense.

This offseason Coach Narduzzi has to fire Cignetti then go hire an OC who can develop QBs. The only way to win in college football is with QB play. Find that OC and give them the reigns and let them bring in any QBs they want.
We had that, his name was Mark Whipple. Whipple produced a 1st round QB, the first at Pitt in decades. But, for some ungodly reason, Narduzzi didn’t like him because apparently Mark passed the ball too much. You know, Mark liked that modern offense, not one stuck in the Stone Age.

Reactions: Purdue_Panther
We had that, his name was Mark Whipple. Whipple produced a 1st round QB, the first at Pitt in decades. But, for some ungodly reason, Narduzzi didn’t like him because apparently Mark passed the ball too much. You know, Mark liked that modern offense, not one stuck in the Stone Age.
This is my Narduzzi concern. With clocks not stopping for first there will be less plays so you don’t need to work as hard to keep your defense fresh and honestly I would rather have a Walt offense with a pretty good defense instead of a great defense like last year with an inept passing game.

Mark Whipple did a great job developing Kenny Pickett. However, while Whip inherited KP and was developing him into a 1st rounder, he brought us Davis Beville, Joey Yellen, and was going to sign Chubba Purdy. Chubba is in his 4th year of college ball and hasn't really done anything of note just yet, other than carry his brother's last name. Mark really wasn't good at bringing in QBs either. Is Whipple even employed this year?

What exactly about Pitt's offense do you find stuck in the stone age? If they block better and the QB throws with more accuracy, they will be fine. Those are big if's right now, but I don't exactly see why you would say Pitt's offense is stuck in the Stone Age.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
Mark Whipple did a great job developing Kenny Pickett. However, while Whip inherited KP and was developing him into a 1st rounder, he brought us Davis Beville, Joey Yellen, and was going to sign Chubba Purdy. Chubba is in his 4th year of college ball and hasn't really done anything of note just yet, other than carry his brother's last name. Mark really wasn't good at bringing in QBs either. Is Whipple even employed this year?

What exactly about Pitt's offense do you find stuck in the stone age? If they block better and the QB throws with more accuracy, they will be fine. Those are big if's right now, but I don't exactly see why you would say Pitt's offense is stuck in the Stone Age.
Because it’s laughably predictable. Pitt is almost guaranteed to run it on 1st down, 2nd down, setting up a 3rd and long pass that falls incomplete, or short of the marker. Of course this isn’t always the case, but Cignetti’s offense isn’t hard to figure out.

Reactions: Purdue_Panther

All of that may be true, but none of us heard the "two 6th year senior offensive lineman, Jake Kradel, the freshman at RG" that you singled out, insult the paying fan base of the Pitt football program. What we, the fans of this football program don't need is a self centered, egotistical jackoff calling the fans that support this football program names. MY God, what was jurkovec thinking by saying that? Does he understand that most of us know his story. The local superstar QB, who felt he was to good for the local college football program. Isn't he the one who said that Notre Dame was his dream school? The dude needs to just shut his mouth and work on playing better.
Tyler Palko will always be remembered by proud Pitt football fans for his statement after the Notre Dame game when he said "I'm so proud of this f*ucking team". phil jurkovec will always be remembered by those same Pitt fans for his "grown ass men" comment.

99% of the time, the next guy is even worse. If Jurkovec continues to play this badly and doesn't get pulled, it means Villeaux really sucks.

Sad, but true. These coaches aren't always as dumb as we think, and their sample size vs ours is like 99:1.

If Jurk sucks at WVU and plays the whole game, that means we'll be dumpster diving in the portal again for next year's starter.

Coach speak. It does no use to throw your QB under the bus while you still need him. If he considered it, why would he ever tell you.

Or he could say "we have several capable QBs who can play in the event that one struggles on any given day". It's one thing if you have a proven guy at QB who is having a bad game. But Jurk isn't that guy.

Or he could say "we have several capable QBs who can play in the event that one struggles on any given day". It's one thing if you have a proven guy at QB who is having a bad game. But Jurk isn't that guy.

The question was did you consider changing QBs? It's a yes or no answer.

I say this fully understanding that if j
Jurk struggles again he needs to come out. There no need to broadcast anything.

Reactions: FireballZ
Watching Jurkovec all year will be a chore but he's probably our best option. Do we really think Penn States third string QB we plucked off layaway is going to fix our offense?

Watching Jurkovec all year will be a chore but he's probably our best option. Do we really think Penn States third string QB we plucked off layaway is going to fix our offense?
I actually don’t think that, but I do think the coaches owe it (if not to the stinking fans, aka the customers, then to their TEAM) to do all they can to try to win, not just accept nearly certain defeat by continuing to roll out the same struggling guy.

I don’t think coaches are wise to go to the wild extreme Walt Harris did at times (switching guys after every possession), but not the opposite extreme of letting a guy keep sucking and killing any chance to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT