ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson joins FSU in suing the ACC

The ACC’s position is a lawsuit with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake and the premier program in the conference trying to leave, was not a “material” lawsuit. But *now* the lawsuit is material litigation and so did eventually need a vote in accordance with ACC bylaws?

I guess that could maybe work as an argument, because a NC judge might be looking for any reason not to bounce this thing.
But that argument is so nonsensical it would only play to a judge that is on your side. And I’m not sure even then.

Clemson taking a different approach saying the acc only owns their rights while they are in the conference, not after they leave.
I wonder if schools would coordinate on this by bringing different arguments for leaving? Then, which ever one wins, they all move in that direction.

Probably by the fall we will find out which schools have been told they have a seat at the Big Ten or SEC table, and which schools haven’t been told that.

If you aren’t filing to leave during that time frame, it’s only because you aren’t certain of your future.
Is it safe to say that if Clemson is also filing a suit, they also know they have a spot waiting for them?

UNC just watching and waiting.

Bubba Cunningham, their AD pretty much said that in an recent interview. They are going to be good members of the ACC while they are in it, continuing to push for it's growth, but did say that if things changed, then UNC would look out what is best for them.

Essentially saying UNC is waiting for FSU and Clemson to do the dirty work, and if the gates are broken down, then they'll make their decision. They have a landing spot.

A few interesting tidbits:

• A lot of these make sense (Boston College, Syracuse, Wake Forest), but Virginia and Virginia were surprising since I could see them looking to leave as well, particularly Virginia with their supposed interest from the Big Ten and SEC… does that mean they (and not UNC/UVA) are attached to the hip like they’ve alluded to?
• Pitt was the only northeast school who was not included in this group… what does this say about our thoughts/outlook on realignment?
History Channel Treasure Hunting GIF by HISTORY UK

Sorry, I ended up changing the thread title/post because the Clemson lawsuit came out at the same time and the thread was headed in that direction. I do find it interesting that UVA and Virginia Tech were in favor of suing FSU even though they were part of that “Magnificent Seven.”

Interesting in that article that the following didn't want to file a lawsuit against FSU:

UNC
Clemson
GT
Miami
NC State
PITT
I personally think that is the correct side to be on from a fans perspective. To me, it says these schools believe there is a future for them beyond the acc. The others want to cling on to the Titanic as it goes down.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy

Interesting in that article that the following didn't want to file a lawsuit against FSU:

UNC
Clemson
GT
Miami
NC State
PITT
I personally think that is the correct side to be on from a fans perspective. To me, it says these schools believe there is a future for them beyond the acc. The others want to cling on to the Titanic as it goes down.
Looks like we might’ve been in favor of it after all:

UNC
Clemson
GT
Miami
NC State
PITT

I only see where the article says “at least” 6 schools wanted to file *without* a vote in accordance with the ACC Bylaws.

That’s not the same thing as saying other schools were against filing a lawsuit. Some schools maybe wanted to, but thought it illegal to do so without the vote required in the bylaws.

The filings also state that the schools subsequently approved the lawsuit. Which means, even if it was just 6 schools, that was only in regards to filing without voting. Once a vote took place, the ACC got the votes it needed. So lots of other schools actually wanted to file.

Last edited:
I would get pre-emptive and offer the best programs/markets from the B12:

Colorado
Utah
Arizona or Arizona State (not both)
Kansas

A few more

Basically take the best markets/programs from the ACC/B12 and cut out the crap and duplicate ones (Cincy, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas St, etc)

Once Clemson, FSU, UNC, are known to be on their way out, I'm not sure the ACC has any advantage over the Big 12 in terms of appeal for schools like Colorado, Arizona, etc. It's more likely ACC schools go scampering to the Big 12.

Where does everyone think these schools are going? I am guessing FSU and Clemson to Big Ten even though culturally they fit SEC better. Because SEC already has Florida and South Carolina. I think UNC to Big Ten is a no-brainer, but then maybe that opens the door for NC State to SEC - they'd be a good fit there and would get SEC into NC.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Once Clemson, FSU, UNC, are known to be on their way out, I'm not sure the ACC has any advantage over the Big 12 in terms of appeal for schools like Colorado, Arizona, etc. It's more likely ACC schools go scampering to the Big 12.

Where does everyone think these schools are going? I am guessing FSU and Clemson to Big Ten even though culturally they fit SEC better. Because SEC already has Florida and South Carolina. I think UNC to Big Ten is a no-brainer, but then maybe that opens the door for NC State to SEC - they'd be a good fit there and would get SEC into NC.
I think we should hope for Clemson, FSU, UNC, etc. to go to the Big Ten. The more ACC schools they poach, the better chance Pitt has at joining the SEC should they wish to match their expansion.

That's why I keep saying hopefully Pitt can go to the Big XII once the ACC floodgates open.

I think FSU, Clemson, UNC, and most likely UVA, NCState and VT have landing spots in the SEC/BIG. Miami most likely as well. At that point, the Big XII is the better conference IMO.

I also think that if say VT, NC State, etc dont' have a landing spot, once UNC, FSU and Clemson leave, they will look to the Big XII as well.

That's why I keep saying hopefully Pitt can go to the Big XII once the ACC floodgates open.

I think FSU, Clemson, UNC, and most likely UVA, NCState and VT have landing spots in the SEC/BIG. Miami most likely as well. At that point, the Big XII is the better conference IMO.

I also think that if say VT, NC State, etc dont' have a landing spot, once UNC, FSU and Clemson leave, they will look to the Big XII as well.
What people do will depend on what happens with the ACC's contract with ESPN. There is a lot to play out.

FSU is almost definitely going to lose in court, and Clemson is likely to as well.

UNC is the lynch pin.

There is really nothing attractive for any of the ACC schools in the B12. Fleeing there would be a panic move.

Doesn’t hurt… 🤷‍♂️ The Big Ten actually considered us in 2022, so perhaps flip it.
The Big Ten evaluated something like 10 schools in doing their due diligence. It was evaluated because it is within the footprint and, because if they'd send it to the presidents for a vote, it helps that Pitt is a major research university in the AAU. Pitt wasn't close at all to getting into the Big Ten. Pitt has a Penn State problem for that conference, and has since 1990. Pitt has zero chance at the SEC. It doesn't fit culturally at all. You don't see the SEC running off to add teams all over the country; it still cares about cultural fit. The SEC is not going to add a team in Western PA that draws 45K per game that none of its existing members have any ties to. It's got plenty of excellent options below the Mason Dixon line.

Last edited:
I cannot see the SEC taking Clemson. It does not add to their TV revenue. Same with FSU.
I can see the Big 10 looking at either of them but I think they would prefer Miami (TV Market) and UNC (another good size TV Market).
The problem for Georgia Tech, FSU and Clemson is the SEC already claims those markets and has schools in the state. That makes getting the votes to add them difficult since the TV revenue may not grow enough to offsite the additional members and schools would prefer not to have another in-state conference rival.
The Big 10 will start this process. They offer this most in revenue and academics. Presidents will always prefer that. The SEC will react but not sure they will pick up leftovers that don’t add to the pot.

I cannot see the SEC taking Clemson. It does not add to their TV revenue. Same with FSU.
I can see the Big 10 looking at either of them but I think they would prefer Miami (TV Market) and UNC (another good size TV Market).
The problem for Georgia Tech, FSU and Clemson is the SEC already claims those markets and has schools in the state. That makes getting the votes to add them difficult since the TV revenue may not grow enough to offsite the additional members and schools would prefer not to have another in-state conference rival.
The Big 10 will start this process. They offer this most in revenue and academics. Presidents will always prefer that. The SEC will react but not sure they will pick up leftovers that don’t add to the pot.

My guess is Clemson would go to the SEC.

The SEC added Texas when it already had aTm, over the Aggies' strenuous objections. The precedent is there.

If the ACC falls apart, which is possible but not guaranteed, what Pitt and any other FBS school need to do is band together and push an antitrust case against the B10 and SEC, particularly aimed at their dominance of the CFP financials. In fact, the threat of such action may be the only thing that is keeps the NCAA tournament intact. Otherwise, all these left over schools are going to be relegated to AAC-type status, which is why FSU and Clemson, and everyone else that thinks they have a shot at the SEC or Big10, are trying to get out.

Ross Dellenger has a lot of good details on Twitter about the suit.
In a weird way I hope that they get their wish and are able to leave the conference. 3 years after they leave their fans will be crying because their team is suddenly posting 6-6 seasons. Of course, the University will have more money so to hell with the fans.

Bubba Cunningham, their AD pretty much said that in an recent interview. They are going to be good members of the ACC while they are in it, continuing to push for it's growth, but did say that if things changed, then UNC would look out what is best for them.

Essentially saying UNC is waiting for FSU and Clemson to do the dirty work, and if the gates are broken down, then they'll make their decision. They have a landing spot.
UNC pushing for ACC growth while standing in the way of the most recent ACC growth (addition of Cal, Stanford and SMU).
How ironical !?!?!?

I just want to play the same teams all of the time. And hopefully those teams make some geographical sense. Is that too much to ask?

I personally like variety, but I'd much rather partake in a B12-ACC Leftovers-G5 level of competition than be pond scum in some super league or even exist in some watered-down ACC while the BIG and SEC syphon up all the good coaches and players because they're drawing 7x as much revenue. I want to compete, not be a speedbag.

Reactions: TD_6082
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT