ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K To Retire After Season

Can’t say I’m surprised at the first part. A little surprised the Scheyer is the guy - though it’s seemed clear for a few years now that he’s checked off a bunch of boxes that you’d think they’d look for.

I like seeing Scheyer mentioned as a lead candidate to be their next coach. Maybe people who wanted (and still want) BK were onto something...

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Duke, one of the premier jobs in the country, hiring an assistant from some of their worst coached teams who isn’t a top 50 player in their program history.

Pitt, one of the worst jobs in the ACC, fan base thinks it’s too good to hire a guy who was part of their best teams, helped coach some of their best teams and has his number hanging in the rafters. Sheesh. What a world

Other than the fact that one has coached under a HOF coach and one coached under JD.
Why do people even mention "coached under _____" as a qualification anymore? Capel coached under K and he stinks. Stallings coached under Roy Williams. Simply existing on someone's staff has no bearing on how they will perform as a HC, especially at Pitt.

They just said Scheyer is next HC. Done. How many former Duke assistants are regretting leaving now? Wojo, Collins, Capel all would’ve been the choice had they stayed.

seems like an.... interesting... process?

i hope it doesn’t work because I hate the arrogance of thinking that they have to stay in house because they are so special...

But then again it’s Duke and he’s a smart young guy so it’ll probably work out.

seems like an.... interesting... process?

i hope it doesn’t work because I hate the arrogance of thinking that they have to stay in house because they are so special...

But then again it’s Duke and he’s a smart young guy so it’ll probably work out.
It will work to an extent I’m sure. But things change when you’re calling the TO’s. Maybe Scheyer is a natural. Or maybe Coach K is such an egomaniac he wants someone who won’t accomplish what he could. Who knows. Keeping it in house for the sake of keeping it in house ala Duke/UNC is so stupid. Imagine that happening at Kentucky or Kansas.

We will find out whether it’s the coach or the program that keeps those recruits coming.

They just said Scheyer is next HC. Done. How many former Duke assistants are regretting leaving now? Wojo, Collins, Capel all would’ve been the choice had they stayed.

I had the same initial thought but, the more I thought about it, this is all about K shaping how he wants Duke to look after he’s gone. It’s Duke so they’re always going to get dudes, but I think they’re going to pivot away from the one-and-done model to more of a conventional approach. The guys mentioned as being candidates with Scheyer (Amaker & Dawkins) only confirm that in my mind.

Had they wanted to keep chasing the one and done kids, Bobby Hurley or Capel get the gig. This just feels like Coach K trying to steer the program in a different direction on his way out. It’s not going to be boring, one way or the other

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Duke, one of the premier jobs in the country, hiring an assistant from some of their worst coached teams who isn’t a top 50 player in their program history.

Pitt, one of the worst jobs in the ACC, fan base thinks it’s too good to hire a guy who was part of their best teams, helped coach some of their best teams and has his number hanging in the rafters. Sheesh. What a world
Ok. That does sound terrible. But I think PITT fans were looking for a change after Jamie and Duke is more of a “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” situation.
Full disclosure- I have a lot of respect for both Dixon and Knight.

Ok. That does sound terrible. But I think PITT fans were looking for a change after Jamie and Duke is more of a “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” situation.
Full disclosure- I have a lot of respect for both Dixon and Knight.
I wouldn’t have hired Knight as my first choice. Given him or stallings....

I wouldn’t have hired Knight as my first choice. Given him or stallings....
I disagree with that. Stallings was the better coach in terms of X’s and O’s. Knight would have had the support of the fan base, youth and energy, NYC ties, links to tradition and hope for the future. Stallings was a retread good ole’ boy hire and everyone knew it. It was a disaster.

I disagree with that. Stallings was the better coach in terms of X’s and O’s. Knight would have had the support of the fan base, youth and energy, NYC ties, links to tradition and hope for the future. Stallings was a retread good ole’ boy hire and everyone knew it. It was a disaster.
You disagree that you would’ve rather had BK than Stallings? Odd

2 years ago I was dreading this day because I thought that would have meant the losing Capel to Duke in the natural order of things.

Today - not so much

The coach
Coach K built Duke into a self-fulfilling prophecy. Once a program gets to that consistent elite top 5 level, recruiting takes care of itself.

See Ryan Day at Ohio State for a current example. Do you think they are still getting top 3 recruiting classes every year since Urban left because the players want to play for Day, a guy nobody had ever heard of 5 years ago, or is is because they want to play for OSU?

Coach K built Duke into a self-fulfilling prophecy. Once a program gets to that consistent elite top 5 level, recruiting takes care of itself.

See Ryan Day at Ohio State for a current example. Do you think they are still getting top 3 recruiting classes every year since Urban left because the players want to play for Day, a guy nobody had ever heard of 5 years ago, or is is because they want to play for OSU?
OSU was recruiting well before Urban Meyer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT