ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Recruiting Thread and Roster building

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
The season is over. Its time to move on and stop complaining about why we are out and instead focus on improving the team and where we are next year.

Here's where we stand

Pg-Lowe
Sg-Carrington, Cummings
Sf- Austin, Barnes
Pf- Guillermo, Jorge
C-Kante

6th man do it all- Leggett

Ill adjust this if someone leaves like Bub to the NBA.

Players that are up in the air / should consider moving on

Jeffress
Fede

So looking at this, we have 5 of our top 6 scorers back from a fringe NCAA Tournament team.

3 point shooting from our top 5 returning scorers

Lowe- 35%
Carrington- 32%
Leggett- 34%
Austin-29%
Guillermo- 41%

3 point shooting in ACC Conference play last year

Lowe-41%
Carrington 31%
Leggett- 37%
Austin 34%
Guillermo 38%

5 returning players with at least 106+ ORTG offensive power rating. 2 projected immediate impact players that should be over 100+ ORTG next year in Kante and Cummings. We are on really solid ground right now with this nucleus of players.

Biggest Weakness - Interior Defense / Rebounding

3 ships available, 2 less if Jeffress and Fede return.

Priority #1

Center, Center, and Center. We have to get a center that can actually rebound the basketball and someone that can play defense. I expect an immediate impact from Kante, but lets not turn this into another argument thread over whether Kante is ready or not. We need a quality center besides him.

Priority #2

Wing / Forward, someone that can shoot the 3 ball at a high level. Man,if we could get Nate Santos back.

Priority #3

Another Guard / Point Guard. Lowe was a major reason this season turned around. We cant short change ourselves with guard depth, although its going to be tough getting someone with our current guard rotation unless we can get Carrington to play some 3 and some point forward, which I would love more than anything. I think a Lowe / Cummings / Carrington trio can be extremely dangerous on offense next year.

Priority #4

A capable power forward that can rebound / play defense / shot block. If Guillermo is going to play both positions next year at the 4 and 5 depending on who we get in the portal, we need another Mo Gueye type somewhere. And I think Ndiaye is going to redshirt and is not ready.

Some Early players worth looking at in the portal. And obviously, some of these guys are going to have high interest from big players.

Brandon Garrison, 6'11 center transfer from Oklahoma State

Michael Ajayi, 6'7 wing forward that can shoot and really rebound the ball

Keyon Menifield- 6'1 guard transfer from Arkansas, previously Washington

Kanaan Carlyle- 6'3 guard, Stanford

Nate Santos, 6'7 wing forward, (if he even decides to transfer I want him back)

Andrej Stojakovich, 6'7 wing, Stanford

Amari Williams- 6'10 5th year senior center, Drexel, 3 time defensive player of the year

Last edited:
Hrmm, none of it matters, the days of Pitt getting into the NCAA tourney are over. Wrong team in the wrong conference.

But anyways, I'll play along. I don't know much about any of those players you listed besides Santos. That being said, I see they are from Arkansas, Stanford, OSU, etc...all "Power" conferences. But we tend to get our transfers from places like Delaware, High Point, and Rhode Island. So, I guess none of the names you mentioned would be coming here. Maybe the Drexel guy but could even he be out of our price range?

Unfortunately, I don't watch enough mid-major and small time basketball to have better suggestions as alternatives. But since you seem to know more players, I'd suggest looking at guys from much smaller programs than Arkansas, Stanford, OSU, etc

• Wow
Reactions: Protes
The season is over. Its time to move on and stop complaining about why we are out and instead focus on improving the team and where we are next year.

Here's where we stand

Pg-Lowe
Sg-Carrington, Cummings
Sf- Austin, Barnes
Pf- Guillermo, Jorge
C-Kante

Jeffress
Fede

So looking at this, we have 5 of our top 6 scorers back from a fringe NCAA Tournament team.

Lowe- 35%
Carrington- 32%
Leggett- 34%
Austin-29%
Guillermo- 41%

Lowe-41%
Carrington 31%
Leggett- 37%
Austin 34%
Guillermo 38%

5 returning players with at least 106+ ORTG offensive power rating. 2 projected immediate impact players that should be over 100+ ORTG next year in Kante and Cummings. We are on really solid ground right now with this nucleus of players.

4 ships available, 2 less if Jeffress and Fede return.

Priority #1

Center, Center, and Center. We have to get a center that can actually rebound the basketball and someone that can play defense. I expect an immediate impact from Kante, but lets not turn this into another argument thread over whether Kante is ready or not. We need a quality center besides him.

Priority #2

Wing / Forward, someone that can shoot the 3 ball at a high level. Man,if we could get Nate Santos back.

Priority #3

Another Guard / Point Guard. Lowe was a major reason this season turned around. We cant short change ourselves with guard depth, although its going to be tough getting someone with our current guard rotation unless we can get Carrington to play some 3 and some point forward, which I would love more than anything. I think a Lowe / Cummings / Carrington trio can be extremely dangerous on offense next year.

Priority #4

A capable power forward that can rebound / play defense / shot block. If Guillermo is going to play both positions next year at the 4 and 5 depending on who we get in the portal, we need another Mo Gueye type somewhere. And I think Ndiaye is going to redshirt and is not ready.

Some Early players worth looking at in the portal. And obviously, some of these guys are going to have high interest from big players.

Amari Williams- 6'10 5th year senior center, Drexel, 3 time defensive player of the year
Vader, do you know anything about/or follow these two guys? Jacob Crews from UT Martin and Ansley Albonor from FDU? Both are similar to Blake in their size and their stats (3-pt % and rebounds)

Here's where we stand

Pg-Lowe
Sg-Carrington, Cummings
Sf- Austin, Barnes
Pf- Guillermo, Jorge
C-Kante

Jeffress
Fede

Lowe- 35%
Carrington- 32%
Leggett- 34%
Austin-29%
Guillermo- 41%

Lowe-41%
Carrington 31%
Leggett- 37%
Austin 34%
Guillermo 38%

Priority #1

Priority #2

Priority #3

Priority #4

The fact you penciled a freshmen coming off an ACL over a 2 year starter at center made me stop reading. Sheesh you’re dumb. It’s ALWAYS next year.

Hrmm, none of it matters, the days of Pitt getting into the NCAA tourney are over. Wrong team in the wrong conference.

But anyways, I'll play along. I don't know much about any of those players you listed besides Santos. That being said, I see they are from Arkansas, Stanford, OSU, etc...all "Power" conferences. But we tend to get our transfers from places like Delaware, High Point, and Rhode Island. So, I guess none of the names you mentioned would be coming here. Maybe the Drexel guy but could even he be out of our price range?

Unfortunately, I don't watch enough mid-major and small time basketball to have better suggestions as alternatives. But since you seem to know more players, I'd suggest looking at guys from much smaller programs than Arkansas, Stanford, OSU, etc

Blake Hinson- Ole Miss- 1st Team All ACC
Jamarius Burton- Texas Tech- 2nd team All ACC
Gregg Elliot- Marquette- Double Digit scorer at Pitt

So what you are suggesting is untrue.

Vader, do you know anything about/or follow these two guys? Jacob Crews from UT Martin and Ansley Albonor from FDU? Both are similar to Blake in their size and their stats (3-pt % and rebounds)

No, but player 1 made 90 three balls this year, so that in itself is intriguing.

Blake Hinson- Ole Miss- 1st Team All ACC
Jamarius Burton- Texas Tech- 2nd team All ACC
Gregg Elliot- Marquette- Double Digit scorer at Pitt

So what you are suggesting is untrue.
Hinson was essentially out of basketball when he came here, not directly from Ole Miss.

The other two are the exceptions when you consider we took the following:

Huett - Division II Catawba College
Leggett - Rhode Island
Austin - High Point
Horton - Delaware
Cummings - Colgate
Sibande - Miami (OH)
Federiko - Northern Oklahoma
Payton - Indian Hills Community College
Oladapo - Oakland U
Gueye - Stony Brook

Those are our transfer players the last 3 seasons. Tell me again about all the Power conference transfers we get.

Here's where we stand

Pg-Lowe
Sg-Carrington, Cummings
Sf- Austin, Barnes
Pf- Guillermo, Jorge
C-Kante

Jeffress
Fede

Lowe- 35%
Carrington- 32%
Leggett- 34%
Austin-29%
Guillermo- 41%

Lowe-41%
Carrington 31%
Leggett- 37%
Austin 34%
Guillermo 38%

Priority #1

Priority #2

Priority #3

Priority #4

Who is worth pulling from Duquesne since Dambrot is retiting

Well action is coming really quickly.

Pitt has officially reached out to Mikeal Brown Jones of UNC Greensboro, 6'8 forward that can rebound and shoot the 3. 5th year senior

Judah Mintz is likely transferring from Syracuse if he stays in college, or he may go to the NBA draft. Justin Taylor is gone from Syracuse along with Benny Williams. Copeland is also rumored to be gone, someone we may have interest in. Copeland is from Philly.

Amari Williams who I mentioned above has already heard from about 40 schools

Here's one to watch.

Khani Rooths, senior in high school, has decommited from Michigan. Capel spent a lot of time trying to get him in the high school recruiting class. 6'7 forward from Florida

Pitt has officially reached out to Mikeal Brown Jones of UNC Greensboro, 6'8 forward that can rebound and shoot the 3. 5th year senior

Judah Mintz is likely transferring from Syracuse if he stays in college, or he may go to the NBA draft. Justin Taylor is gone from Syracuse along with Benny Williams. Copeland is also rumored to be gone, someone we may have interest in. Copeland is from Philly.

Here's one to watch.

Khani Rooths, senior in high school, has decommited from Michigan. Capel spent a lot of time trying to get him in the high school recruiting class. 6'7 forward from Florida
I know you think I'm giving you a hard time, but I'm really just following the observed data. Pitt is after the UNC Greensboro guy, not a Oklahoma St guy. Even the Drexel guys appears out of our price range because his value exceeds his small school status.

I am sure we will find a solid player or two, I will be shocked if they come from Big Ten, SEC, or Big 12.

Here's one to watch.

On paper, MBJ seems like a good pickup if we can get him. All-SoCon 1st Team guard, averaged 19 PPG, and has tournament experience playing at VCU.

I think we have 1-3 open ships (3 if fede and will leave). I think u forgot to include someone in the count. Atm we have
1. Beebah
2. Bub
3. Lowe
4. Ish
5. Barnes
6. Gdg
7. Jdg
8. Amdy
9. Papa
10. Austin
11. Fede
12. Will

I edited it, it was supposed to read 3 ships to match what you said.

Following up on my thread earlier.

Copeland is now in the transfer portal like I heard earlier, its now official. Syracuse is in the process of losing half its roster.

The Capels are watching Meleek Thomas and Brandin Cummings in the state semifinals. Cummings is on pace for 40 points tonight (hes already got 30) and Lincoln is dominating led by Cummings. They are going to move onto the state championship game next for a chance at back to back state championships.

Tell me you don’t know ball…… yikes what horrible takes 😂😂

I edited it, it was supposed to read 3 ships to match what you said.

Following up on my thread earlier.

Copeland is now in the transfer portal like I heard earlier, its now official. Syracuse is in the process of losing half its roster.

The Capels are watching Meleek Thomas and Brandin Cummings in the state semifinals. Cummings is on pace for 40 points tonight (hes already got 30) and Lincoln is dominating led by Cummings. They are going to move onto the state championship game next for a chance at back to back state championships.

I know this is a dream but Lowe, Bub, Leggett, Beebah, Thomas, and a few key transfers: that's a dark horse Natty contender

Sydney Sweeney Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

That seems a better way to spend their time than getting the team prepared for a game in the NIT, IMO

Reactions: Lchertik
Tell me you don’t know ball…… yikes what horrible takes 😂😂
Sadly, they would be horrible takes, except they are spot on.

Here are portal transfers that we have landed in the last 3 seasons:

Leggett - Rhode Island
Austin - High Point
Horton - Delaware
Cummings - Colgate
Sibande - Miami (OH)
Oladapo - Oakland U
Gueye - Stony Brook

So tell me how I am wrong to say we tend get our transfers from small-time schools?

Even my comment about the Drexel kid being too big time for us looks accurate. Vader himself has since posted the kids has interest from 40+ schools already - we won't be getting him either.

Hinson was essentially out of basketball when he came here, not directly from Ole Miss.

The other two are the exceptions when you consider we took the following:

Leggett - Rhode Island
Austin - High Point
Horton - Delaware
Cummings - Colgate
Sibande - Miami (OH)
Oladapo - Oakland U
Gueye - Stony Brook

Those are our transfer players the last 3 seasons. Tell me again about all the Power conference transfers we get.
Matt S had a post on the pay side, noting they have two staff dedicated to the portal. I take that as they will continue to cull guys from lower tier programs as you note, because they really do their home work.

Sadly, they would be horrible takes, except they are spot on.

Here are portal transfers that we have landed in the last 3 seasons:

Leggett - Rhode Island
Austin - High Point
Horton - Delaware
Cummings - Colgate
Sibande - Miami (OH)
Oladapo - Oakland U
Gueye - Stony Brook

So tell me how I am wrong to say we tend get our transfers from small-time schools?

Even my comment about the Drexel kid being too big time for us looks accurate. Vader himself has since posted the kids has interest from 40+ schools already - we won't be getting him either.
How many of those players were from BEFORE the NIL changes? Obviously most.

Also, what is your end game here? Horton, Gueye, Cummings, Leggett and Sibande are all legit P5 players. Who cares where they came from?

Who is worth pulling from Duquesne since Dambrot is retiting
Drambot has mentioned his friendship and mutual respect for HCJC so pretty much that should extend to the respective programs. Doubt poaching or transfers are gonna happen even with Drambot out of the picture.

I disagree with Center being priority number 1, wing scoring is wayyyyyyy bigger lol. We didn't have any depth in wing scoring this year behind Blake, and Blake is gone, that needs to be addressed. A center upgrade would be nice, but we actually rebounded really well this season and shot blocking/mobility is super important to this team from the center position. I just don't think there will be many options in the portal that will be better then Fede at his weaknesses without big trade offs in his strengths.

I disagree with Center being priority number 1, wing scoring is wayyyyyyy bigger lol. We didn't have any depth in wing scoring this year behind Blake, and Blake is gone, that needs to be addressed. A center upgrade would be nice, but we actually rebounded really well this season and shot blocking/mobility is super important to this team from the center position. I just don't think there will be many options in the portal that will be better then Fede at his weaknesses without big trade offs in his strengths.
We were destroyed defensively inside all year. We need a C upgrade. Can't count on Kante being an immediate factor and JDG is not very good.

Drambot has mentioned his friendship and mutual respect for HCJC so pretty much that should extend to the respective programs. Doubt poaching or transfers are gonna happen even with Drambot out of the picture.
1) it’s Dambrot. 2) go look at Craig Meyer’s tweets. Dambrot is saying that for a reason. Jeff Capel hates him, apparently.

Feel better assf——?
Yes. I think ppl suggesting a not top 10 freshmen center off an ACL starting over a 2 year incumbent starter are being really stupid.

But Fede’s just been the center for the best 2 years since Dixon left so obviously we should just cast him aside and start someone else

Reactions: pittbb80
We need a true PF and a better option at starting SF than Barnes or Austin. We could use a backup PG but that’s going to be a tough sell in the portal. I’m guessing Bub will back up Lowe at PG. We need three scholarships available. I doubt they push Fede out and I don’t think they’ll split the twins. Jeffress has to go and probably Barnes too, although I’d prefer that JDG move on.

We were destroyed defensively inside all year. We need a C upgrade. Can't count on Kante being an immediate factor and JDG is not very good.
Pitt started conference play 1-5 with that poor center play, but also finished the regular season 12-4 with that poor center play, it was not a big enough factor that prevented us from turning our season around. Pitt lost games because of poor shooting nights on offense, adding wing scoring depth would help alleviate cold scoring games from a few players. An upgrade over Fede would be great, but I don't think it's in budget or very realistic (at least as a priority), good centers come at a premium. Much rather spend money on some shooters from the 3/4 and another guard if Bub leaves.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
We need a true PF and a better option at starting SF than Barnes or Austin. We could use a backup PG but that’s going to be a tough sell in the portal. I’m guessing Bub will back up Lowe at PG. We need three scholarships available. I doubt they push Fede out and I don’t think they’ll split the twins. Jeffress has to go and probably Barnes too, although I’d prefer that JDG move on.

Austin cant be the starter. He is a depth piece.

PG - Lowe
Wing - Leggett
Wing - Need a good portal dude
4 - Portal dude
5 - GDG/Fede/Kante/Portal Dude

Bench
Cummings
Austin
Portal
Jorge

Wont play much or RS
Ndiaye
Barnes

Is Kante even a Center? BballinsiderfromPitt brings up some interesting points. His highlight videos show him as a perimeter player. Perhaps he could start as the "3 and a half" for Hinson? I don't know.

Dambrot is saying that for a reason. Jeff Capel hates him, apparently.
“Jeff should be up for National Coach of the Year. I think that’s how great a job he’s done. We’ve gotten to be good friends over the last year or so. I have a lot of respect for him,” Dambrot said.

Sure doesn't sound like hatred there.

Reactions: joeydavid
“Jeff should be up for National Coach of the Year. I think that’s how great a job he’s done. We’ve gotten to be good friends over the last year or so. I have a lot of respect for him,” Dambrot said.

Sure doesn't sound like hatred there.
I said Jeff hates Keith. I’m going off what Craig Meyer said and that was the reason for no city game. Seems to make more sense than that.

Austin cant be the starter. He is a depth piece.

PG - Lowe
Wing - Leggett
Wing - Need a good portal dude
4 - Portal dude
5 - GDG/Fede/Kante/Portal Dude

Bench
Cummings
Austin
Portal
Jorge

Wont play much or RS
Ndiaye
Barnes

Is Kante even a Center? BballinsiderfromPitt brings up some interesting points. His highlight videos show him as a perimeter player. Perhaps he could start as the "3 and a half" for Hinson? I don't know.
He is a stiff in those videos. Eerily similar video to Max Amadasun athletic wise

I said Jeff hates Keith. I’m going off what Craig Meyer said and that was the reason for no city game. Seems to make more sense than that.
I prefer to go with first-hand accounts rather than some reporter who may have an axe to grind. But you seem to prefer Twitter rumors.

Reactions: joeydavid
I prefer to go with first-hand accounts rather than some reporter who may have an axe to grind. But you seem to prefer Twitter rumors.
A first hand account of what I said? Did Jeff say he liked Keith? When? And did they play the city game? If not, why not?

How many of those players were from BEFORE the NIL changes? Obviously most.

Also, what is your end game here? Horton, Gueye, Cummings, Leggett and Sibande are all legit P5 players. Who cares where they came from?
Well, this thread is about players we might get via the portal, so where they come from is highly relevant.

My point is that folks listing every player from a P4 school that enters the portal as possible targets are mostly fooling themselves, because those players generally don't come here. Our staff tends to recruit players from smaller programs that have out-played that level and are possibly ready to jump up to P4 level.

This has nothing to do with how good those players may or may not be once the get here, the discussion is which portal players are targets for Pitt...and the evidence says it's mostly relatively unknown players from small schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT