ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Recruiting Thread and Roster building

They might have won 30-35 games total over the past two years with Hugley as the 30 minute per game 5. Upgrading to Fede (and everything that was involved with the switch to Fede) makes him a 10-12 win player. He was worth every penny!
Exactly. And now that the other parts aren’t be good enough to carry the load, an upgrade is needed badly. Win-win for both sides

Absolutely was. Hugely keeps playing they win 10 games and he’s out of a job. Entire team changed once they went space and pace and had a pulse of a defender on the other side which made everyone else better

I dont know why this has to be a Hugley vs Fede thing.

If we had anything close to a legit power 6 center last year or this year, lets call that player Gary Mcghee, we would not have been remotely close to the bubble either year and we would have been in the Sweet 16 or at least pushing for it.

Lets also not forget we had to watch Fede get benched this year because he went 7 straight games in a row and collected 3 total defensive rebounds in those games, ROCK BOTTOM.

Do you know how putrid a center has to be to get 3 total defensive rebounds in 7 straight games? A center generally collects a few just on missed free throws. Ive watched this team for decades and this was the worst rebounding I have ever seen from a center and its not even close.

Absolutely was. Hugely keeps playing they win 10 games and he’s out of a job. Entire team changed once they went space and pace and had a pulse of a defender on the other side which made everyone else better
Definitely was the turning point of the season.

Even if you throw philosophy or Xs & Os (space) out of the equation, I think it's a huge drag on the rest of the team when a player like Hugely is allowed to see any meaningful minutes. He had obviously half-assed conditioning, and his play on the court was a liability. Giving that guy minutes would have been a sure fire way to lose a locker room, imo.

I dont know why this has to be a Hugley vs Fede thing.

If we had anything close to a legit power 6 center last year or this year, lets call that player Gary Mcghee, we would not have been remotely close to the bubble either year and we would have been in the Sweet 16 or at least pushing for it.

Lets also not forget we had to watch Fede get benched this year because he went 7 straight games in a row and collected 3 total defensive rebounds in those games, ROCK BOTTOM.

Do you know how putrid a center has to be to get 3 total defensive rebounds in 7 straight games? A center generally collects a few just on missed free throws. Ive watched this team for decades and this was the worst rebounding I have ever seen from a center and its not even close.
And he was still better than Hugley. And pushing for a sweet 16… like making the round of 32 last year… lol..

And he was still better than Hugley. And pushing for a sweet 16… like making the round of 32 last year… lol..

Ok fine. But lets upgrade the position already and stop screwing around with either of these past guys that held us back. And win a league championship and do some real damage.

Reactions: buckage
Ok fine. But lets upgrade the position already and stop screwing around with either of these past guys that held us back. And win a league championship and do some real damage.
It's the wrong narrative to say he 'held us back'. When we signed Fede he was a complete unknown, expected to get 5 minutes a game. He did his part, the team's makeup has evolved, we need a different player.

It's the wrong narrative to say he 'held us back'. When we signed Fede he was a complete unknown, expected to get 5 minutes a game. He did his part, the team's makeup has evolved, we need a different player.
Correct. The teams trajectory was in the shitter until he was inserted into the starting lineup last year

Heavy footed. He's listed at 260lb and he might be pushing 270+ in some of his tape. He's big. Space eater, ok scoring ability from the tape Ive seen with some ability to put the ball on the floor. Quality passing ability for a big man, something I value. If we got his weight down it would really help him move better and help him on the glass. He would easily be able to hold his ground against anyone in the ACC in terms of not getting backed down, but he's going to need to shed some weight for us to get a rebound advantage over Fede. He's got real schools coming at him from the Big 10, SEC, ACC, etc..
Weight not holding him back from this:

Brandon Johnson from ECU is visiting pitt and miami. Bj is exactly what we need. I have season tix to ECu. He is a solid player, a stretch 4 who can really shoot the 3. He is a great rebounder too. Perfect fit because he is a team player and doesn't dominate the ball. Can post up too. Would be great next to our guards.
The big man from Charlotte is a big improvement from Fede. A space eater who has some offensive skills. Get these 2 and we are much better overall

Brandon Johnson from ECU is visiting pitt and miami. Bj is exactly what we need. I have season tix to ECu. He is a solid player, a stretch 4 who can really shoot the 3. He is a great rebounder too. Perfect fit because he is a team player and doesn't dominate the ball. Can post up too. Would be great next to our guards.
The big man from Charlotte is a big improvement from Fede. A space eater who has some offensive skills. Get these 2 and we are much better overall

Yea, I said that earlier in this thread. Johnson would be perfect and a home run get. His rebounding ability would help put this team on another level. And on top of the shooting, this guy is giving you 2 steals and 2 assists per game. Im really surprised there arent heavyweights getting involved with this. I mean Arkansas and Miami etc.. are good programs, but this guy checks all the boxes and then some.

Getting the visit is big, now we have to close him.

Yea, I said that earlier in this thread. Johnson would be perfect and a home run get. His rebounding ability would help put this team on another level. And on top of the shooting, this guy is giving you 2 steals and 2 assists per game. Im really surprised there arent heavyweights getting involved with this. I mean Arkansas and Miami etc.. are good programs, but this guy checks all the boxes and then some.

Getting the visit is big, now we have to close him.
This kid has a chip too. No offers out of HS. Went to juco and averaged like 6ppg. He worked his butt off to be what he is. Very unselfish but can take over a game. Pitts last transfer from ecu was mike cook. Ecu may suck at basketball but they had jayden gardner who went to uva. Tristan newton at uconn now and javon small who was a start at ok st this past year.

This kid has a chip too. No offers out of HS. Went to juco and averaged like 6ppg. He worked his butt off to be what he is. Very unselfish but can take over a game. Pitts last transfer from ecu was mike cook. Ecu may suck at basketball but they had jayden gardner who went to uva. Tristan newton at uconn now and javon small who was a start at ok st this past year.

He's going to be good.

I dont know where the funds would come from, but getting Johnson with Tarris Reed, have Kante off the bench looks quite pretty good to me. Reed has a lot of skill and raw talent to work with. With proper coaching and talent to work with, he could fit in really well here too. Those 2 together takes our rebounding to a whole new level.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT