ADVERTISEMENT

Coen Brothers or Tarantino?

Coens. Not close. Tarantino's most recent stuff is better than their most recent stuff so I'll give him that.

Thanks for correcting the OP, Eeyore’s, spelling.

I imagine you to be a quadriplegic who sits on the internet all day attacking people before yelling at his mother that the mashed potatoes are dry.

You might not be, but that's how I imagine you. Maybe it's just Asperger's. But you definitely remind me of the Bubble Boy.

• Wow
Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Thanks for correcting the OP, Eeyore’s, spelling.
Eh! No worries!

I spell names wrong all the time too. Just the other day in text convo with my brother we were discussing all the the leading ladies in Spider-man movies also starring (a word I often misspel as staring) in tennis movies now with Challengers (was super fun) out having Zendaya as the lead. I said, "Guess Hailee Steinfeld is up next then, uh?" I was shocked I somehow spelled that one right! Haha.

Not sure; I think it's pretty close. I think Tarantino probably has a higher batting average, but the Coen Brothers have a higher OPS.
Yeah. I'm measuring it by quality output. Tarantino's worst Death Proof I'd say is somehow worse than the Coen's worst Ladykillers though.

Hudsucker and Intolerable are also misses but super fun. Caesar and Struggs also not so much misses but not as great as their other stuff. I'm not counting any solo efforts by either brother. Didn't love Macbeth (Joel) or especially Drive Away Dolls (Ethan) if those are being included. List below are all varying degrees of great/almost great for me.

Blood Simple
Raising Arizona
Miller's Crossing
Barton Fink
Fargo
Lebowksi
O Brother
Man Who Wasn't There
No Country
Burn After Reading
Serious Man
True Grit
Inside Llewyn

Bummed Tarantino isn't moving forward with his movie critic movie. Know I'm in the minority, but Hollywood by Tarantino I thought was his best movie since Jackie Brown.

One thing we can all agree on... Tarantino and the Coens are both f#$%ing awesome.

My go to comment is name Tarantinos worst movie. Jackie Brown? His worst is better than most people's best. His writing style is through the roof. But I will not disparage the Coens name either. Old country for no men? Masterpiece. Fargo and lebowski...spectacular in their own way. I just think the floor has proven higher for Tarantino compared to the coens.

My go to comment is name Tarantinos worst movie. Jackie Brown? His worst is better than most people's best. His writing style is through the roof. But I will not disparage the Coens name either. Old country for no men? Masterpiece. Fargo and lebowski...spectacular in their own way. I just think the floor has proven higher for Tarantino compared to the coens.
Death Proof is pretty terrible for me. Otherwise, yes. That said, I think it's worse than the worst Coen movie.

Death Proof is pretty terrible for me. Otherwise, yes. That said, I think it's worse than the worst Coen movie.
I didnt mind those as he was making B level movies with b level actors to play as a movie theater drive in double feature. I think that needs to be taken into consideration with death proof and planet terror.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I am a big QT guy.

Cohen brothers had more range, and I'd put No Country and Miller's Crossing up w the best QT did other that PF, which was truly legendary.

To me QT weaved better tapestry w his edgier and more clever style. W Hollywood, leave it to him to take you on nearly a three hour leisurely stroll ending w something so extraordinarily satisfying.

But for me I kind of view them as apples and oranges.

IMDB Ranking of Tarantino, Kubrick & Coen Bros. (with ratings). This isn't even remotely close to most people.

Tarantino's body of work laps the Coen Brothers (whom I like quite a bit) by a large margin.

Last edited:
Reactions: 303vND

Yeah, he doesn't really have any clunkers (I've never seen Four Rooms). At the same time, if I'm listing my top five of the group, it's mostly Coen movies. No Country, Lebowski, Blood Simple, and Fargo are up there for me (I haven't seen all their movies). With QT, it's just Reservoir Dogs. I like his other movies, but I can't say I love them. He definitely has a higher batting average - that I acknowledge.

Coen Bros in a landslide!

I am taking extra pts off QT for Kill Bill II
For this movie?!?

Not a big fan of sequels

Kill Bill wasn't supposed to be 2 parts but the final edits still had it over 4 hours. Harvey Weinstein who was originally against making it a 2 part movie ultimately made the call.

Not a big fan of sequels
I mean ... It wasn't like he thought, gee, that went well, we need to do something else to take advantage of how popular that was and create another storyline.

It was either do part 1 and part 2 or have a 4+ hour movie, which even he is not crazy enough to do,.

Tarantino. I love the Coen's, but they have too many movies that are just meh.

Every single one of Tarantino's movies are good. Can't say that about the Coen's.

I will say that Fargo and the Big Lebowski rate up there with the best of Tarantino though.

I would like to see someone give either "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" or "Pulp Fiction" (or both) the Fargo treatment and make an anthology TV Series of them. Like Fargo, the world's in those movies are very rich for potential story lines and characters.

Bummed Tarantino isn't moving forward with his movie critic movie. Know I'm in the minority, but Hollywood by Tarantino I thought was his best movie since Jackie Brown.
Agree about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I believe it was his most all around complete movie. Great scenes, great characters, an understandable plot, incredible casting. Even the finer points, like the cinematography and music were tremendous. I especially loved the way he shot every scene with Margot Robbie. I was too young to know much about Sharon Tate besides the fact she was a victim of the Manson family. But with very little screen time, QT made us appreciate and mourn her in the way that he shot her scenes. Very subtle, but QT's movies are chock full of subtle moments that collectively define greatness.

Tarantino. I love the Coen's, but they have too many movies that are just meh.

Every single one of Tarantino's movies are good. Can't say that about the Coen's.

I will say that Fargo and the Big Lebowski rate up there with the best of Tarantino though.

I would like to see someone give either "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" or "Pulp Fiction" (or both) the Fargo treatment and make an anthology TV Series of them. Like Fargo, the world's in those movies are very rich for potential story lines and characters.
This is a fair take but you can also say that the more time you have to work on fewer movies the better the final result. There is value in quantity of work as well!

Reactions: OH Pete
This is a fair take but you can also say that the more time you have to work on fewer movies the better the final result. There is value in quantity of work as well!

Yeah that's my thought as well. Like as we attaching efficiency metrics to this? Not really sure what the defining criteria should be.

I would think it's whose movies you'd rather have in the old deserted island scenario. So I think quantity can actually be a consideration for the plus column.

Coen Brothers - Better plots. More diverse story lines. Deeper characters. Less mindless drivel than a Tarantino movie.

I think Tarantino movies require multiple viewings because so much of the dilouge goes past the viewer on first take. For instanst...saw resivor dogs and pulp fiction in high school and college. Both movies work so much better as an adult for me because I was so caught up with his violence or action that I missed how he wrote characters words. Now, I go into a Tarantino film and wait for those moments that hit you on a different level that many viewers miss.

Again can't say the coens make bad movies. I consider no country for old men probably my favorite modern western if we can say it's that genre.

Yeah. I'm measuring it by quality output. Tarantino's worst Death Proof I'd say is somehow worse than the Coen's worst Ladykillers though.

Hudsucker and Intolerable are also misses but super fun. Caesar and Struggs also not so much misses but not as great as their other stuff. I'm not counting any solo efforts by either brother. Didn't love Macbeth (Joel) or especially Drive Away Dolls (Ethan) if those are being included. List below are all varying degrees of great/almost great for me.

Blood Simple
Raising Arizona
Miller's Crossing
Barton Fink
Fargo
Lebowksi
O Brother
Man Who Wasn't There
No Country
Burn After Reading
Serious Man
True Grit
Inside Llewyn

One thing we can all agree on... Tarantino and the Coens are both f#$%ing awesome.
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Clearly you missed one of the greatest scenes and lines in cinema history.

No ... actually ... my response should have demonstrated to you that I knew EXACTLY what your line was referring to.

"What?"

"What country are you from?"

"What?"

"What ain't no country I've ever heard of! Do they speak English in What?" ...

... "Say What Again! Say What Again ... I DARE YOU! I DOUBLE DARE YOU #%L&*!"

More or less, I know every line in The Bonnie Situation.

"Lot's of cream. Lots of sugar."

"Oak is nice."

"A please would be nice."

"I'm the guns of the Navarone."

Also, I've been looking to buy my kid a UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs T-shirt to wear to a Volleyball game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT