ADVERTISEMENT

CONCACAF Champions League

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Its hard for me to watch MLS games because of the level of play and not having a team to root for but I made an effort to watch most of the CCL Round of 16 teams matches involving MLS teams, or at least had the games on in the background while doing other things. I like this competition because I root for MLS. Every year, I hope MLS finally has a team that can win it. And this year might be the year.

The Round of 16 was very very entertaining. How about LAFC advancing over Leon after losing the 1st Leg 2-0? I watched the 2nd Half of the 2nd Leg and they looked so much better than Leon which was very surprising. Its not often you watch an MLS team play a Liga MX team and the MLS team has the best player on the pitch but LAFC certainly did with Carlos Vela, who ironically is Mexican. He was fantastic. They move on to play anothet Liga MX side, Cruz Azul who got quite the scare from what amounted to an amateur team, Portmore United from Jamaica. In the 1st Leg, Cruz Azul needed 2 goals in stoppage time to win 2-1 to avoid one of the biggest upsets anywhere in world football.

In the other half of that bracket, Atlanta United made relatively easy work of Motagua from Honduras but the most storied club in CONCACAF, Club America needed penalties to advance over Communicaciones from Guatemala after 2 1-1 draws. Atlanta United-Club America is as good of CCL marchup as it gets.

Montreal Impact advanced over Saprissa from Costa Rica on away goals after 2 draws and disappointingly, they play Olimpia from Honduras who scored a late goal to tie Seattle 2-2. Since the 1st Leg also ended 2-2, it went to penalties with Olimpia advancing which means there wont be an all MLS matchup. Montreal should beat Olimpia though. Interestingly, their new coach is Thierry Henry and their new signing Bojan, who scored 36 goals for Barcelona as a teenager but hasnt done much since (he's 29 now) looks impressive.

NYCFC, who had to play across the in an empty Red Bull Arena because the Yankees wouldn't allow them to use Yankee Stadium was dominant over San Carlos from Costa Rica. NYCFC actually boycotted the game because of it. They nearly got lucky and avoided Tigres in the quarters. Tigres was on a break of elimination but scored on a free kick in the 4th minute of stoppage time against Alianza from El Salvador.

Just a really entertaining round. Maybe a wake-up call for the Liga MX teams but this could be the year for MLS.

Its hard for me to watch MLS games because of the level of play

Thanks for reminding us! LOL. I watch it all the time, and yeah, you can see a difference in EPL, as far as level of play" but honestly who cares? It's not that huge that it's unwatchable. Are yo a real soccer snob, like you grew up watching the game and watching MLS offends you? Maybe you should watch a few games? There are plenty of entertaining games that I see. I watched DC United vs. Inter Miami this week, and it was actually an entertaining game, and I also watched NYFC in that CONCACAF League, and honestly I think MLS is not much worse than LIGA MX. And to me anyways, seeing a league INSIDE THE USA is actually more enjoyable than seeing MORE FANTASTICAL DISPLAYS OF TALENT in some English city.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT