ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Pitt, you're now the most expensive home game ticket in PSU football history

I've talked to people who have had penn State season tickets for years. The pitt game is more expensive than even the Michigan game this year which is their second most expensive ticket this season. Being that is a conference game and could feature two teams with no conference losses at that point, the price on the secondary market I expect to surpass this Saturday's game. There is however a huge difference between those prices and the prices of tickets through the school's athletic department.
Recently received this from ticket master. Appears ticket prices are going down.

link: https://www1.ticketmaster.com/penn-...063&utm_content=ctabutton&landing=c#efeat4212

I've talked to people who have had penn State season tickets for years. The pitt game is more expensive than even the Michigan game this year which is their second most expensive ticket this season. Being that is a conference game and could feature two teams with no conference losses at that point, the price on the secondary market I expect to surpass this Saturday's game. There is however a huge difference between those prices and the prices of tickets through the school's athletic department.

Until recently all games were priced the same and if you buy season tickets ( whole season) it comes out to a certain price per game . Individual games were always priced the same until the new system started .

I've received a bunch of feedback and I will briefly respond. It needs to be noted that lionlurker is back to obsessing about me on bwi. I try to avoid my peers on bwi and I've swapped most of my posting to Facebook groups and audibles because of the insanity of bwi.

Yes, Pitt is currently the hottest ticket in our history. When this game is done, this will be the highest grossing ticket sales in our history. To me, this is great news. Play a game against a d1 program only a few hours away and earn more money than ever before.

Now you can draw your own conclusions why this game is not continually scheduled. I am one of the vocal minority on the PSU boards arguing for this series to continue. I am admittedly biased because I grew up in Pgh. What I've found is the majority of the normal everyday fan base wants the series to continue. It's the hardcore fan base that wants the series to stop. It comes down to a lot of trash talking and not wanting to potentially face the music.

Reactions: Swervin27
I've received a bunch of feedback and I will briefly respond. It needs to be noted that lionlurker is back to obsessing about me on bwi. I try to avoid my peers on bwi and I've swapped most of my posting to Facebook groups and audibles because of the insanity of bwi.

Yes, Pitt is currently the hottest ticket in our history. When this game is done, this will be the highest grossing ticket sales in our history. To me, this is great news. Play a game against a d1 program only a few hours away and earn more money than ever before.

Now you can draw your own conclusions why this game is not continually scheduled. I am one of the vocal minority on the PSU boards arguing for this series to continue. I am admittedly biased because I grew up in Pgh. What I've found is the majority of the normal everyday fan base wants the series to continue. It's the hardcore fan base that wants the series to stop. It comes down to a lot of trash talking and not wanting to potentially face the music.
I live in NEPA which is a very strong fan base. No one wants this series to stop. Even though I am too young to be around for most of the games I now treat this as the real only rival psu has. I think it is the older generation of fans that don't want to see it played. I guess we will see what happens but I look forward to 3 more games.

It's not near the hottest ticket in history . It's the most expensive single date ticket to date . Because there's a new pricing schedule in place compared to a few years back.
Past games such as Nebraska and Notre Dame were in much higher demand .

I live in NEPA which is a very strong fan base. No one wants this series to stop. Even though I am too young to be around for most of the games I now treat this as the real only rival psu has. I think it is the older generation of fans that don't want to see it played. I guess we will see what happens but I look forward to 3 more games.

It's the only game where my relatives and friends can all get excited and mess with each other. Many went to Pitt or State. This game is about state dominance. B10 teams could care less about us.

Those that take a game too seriously generally hate this series. Those of us that view this as nothing more than a game played by teens and early 20 somethings that involves running on a patch of grass carrying inflated dead pig tend to find this game nothing more than just a game. Hence why we enjoy the series.

Yes we do .

It's not near the hottest ticket in history . It's the most expensive single date ticket to date . Because there's a new pricing schedule in place compared to a few years back.

BS, this game was sold out in spring. Stop trying to minimize that way we can continue to avoid the game. We are making big money on this game. As someone that understand the money part of things, we need to schedule this game over Jacksonville st or whatever because we need to pay for our top five most expensive recruiting budget in the country. We spend more on football than any other team in the B10. To not schedule Pitt when it's a slam dunk money making venture is just stupid. The money will run out. Just in the costs of scandal alone we are operating so deep in the red it's ridiculous.

Reactions: bschulter
It's the only game where my relatives and friends can all get excited and mess with each other. Many went to Pitt or State. This game is about state dominance. B10 teams could care less about us.

Those that take a game too seriously generally hate this series. Those of us that view this as nothing more than a game played by teens and early 20 somethings that involves running on a patch of grass carrying inflated dead pig tend to find this game nothing more than just a game. Hence why we enjoy the series.

Likely because Pitt has beaten the Nits more than any other college football team...and they hate that fact! Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: PittMan 72
Most penn state fans in the coal region would prefer Notre Dame for a limited series . Notre Dame has a much larger fan base in Pa. than Pitt.

Elvis, tuck your tail and run. Face the music, we schedule OOC cupcakes and make very little money. We can schedule Pitt and make a boat load of dollars and actually have a rival, something we don't have in the B10.

Until recently all games were priced the same and if you buy season tickets ( whole season) it comes out to a certain price per game . Individual games were always priced the same until the new system started .
Pitt also started doing that a few years back. For example in the season tickets this year ysu came out to $14 a ticket for my seats. PSU last year was somewhere around $35 if I remember correctly.

It was around 30-50$ when I last got tickets. I stopped because my kids went to college and STEP , the new pricing program was instituted.
Not sure if I'm talking about the exact time you are, it it's close. So every year now they'll sell singles at inflated prices based on that year. Two things matter , Penn State's success and the attractiveness of the opponent.

Elvis, tuck your tail and run. Face the music, we schedule OOC cupcakes and make very little money. We can schedule Pitt and make a boat load of dollars and actually have a rival, something we don't have in the B10.

It's not we, it's you and there's penn state fans , which you aren't .

Reactions: ISAYJAYPA
BS, this game was sold out in spring. Stop trying to minimize that way we can continue to avoid the game. We are making big money on this game. As someone that understand the money part of things, we need to schedule this game over Jacksonville st or whatever because we need to pay for our top five most expensive recruiting budget in the country. We spend more on football than any other team in the B10. To not schedule Pitt when it's a slam dunk money making venture is just stupid. The money will run out. Just in the costs of scandal alone we are operating so deep in the red it's ridiculous.

All tickets were sold out, the bulk which are season tickets. If you're a penn state fan you would know this. And you would know about how the prices have changed and why .

It was around 30-50$ when I last got tickets. I stopped because my kids went to college and STEP , the new pricing program was instituted.
Not sure if I'm talking about the exact time you are, it it's close. So every year now they'll sell singles at inflated prices based on that year. Two things matter , Penn State's success and the attractiveness of the opponent.

Bottom line, the Pitt ticket this season is the most expensive ticket ever sold by PSU for a regular season football game. Not sure why that bothers some of you so much, but the fact is one that cannot be disputed. Hail to Pitt!

Most penn state fans in the coal region would prefer Notre Dame for a limited series . Notre Dame has a much larger fan base in Pa. than Pitt.

Nit fans in the coal region can "prefer" whatever they want. Apparently the AD's at PSU and ND feel differently, though. And ND has only scheduled the nits 19 times historically. ND decides who they want to play. Pitt and ND have played 70 times by comparison.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
They prefer ND to Pitt. There are very few Pitt fans in this area. I knew one , and I personally knew Carson Long. And this is over my lifetime .
Notre Dame has a huge following in Pa. fwiw. Larger than Pitt does I'd guess.

Bottom line, the Pitt ticket this season is the most expensive ticket ever sold by PSU for a regular season football game. Not sure why that bothers some of you so much, but the fact is one that cannot be disputed. Hail to Pitt!

It doesn't bother me. It's making more of it than it is. It sounds so much better then saying , " it's the highest priced ticket since we instituted a variable price for individual game tickets ."
It's very disingenuous to claim it's due to anything else. It isn't the hottest ticket . It's the second most popular game for this year , not the biggest game at Beaver Stadium.
Pitt in 1982 was a tougher and relatively higher priced ticket for example. But back then , 35 years ago , individual tickets carried the same price . And were harder to get considering capacity was 20,000 less.

I don't think it is really being disputed. What is also undisputable is it isn't the highest demand for a ticket ever, I know because I've paid more than what the tickets are going for on StubHub. It also can't be disputed that Pitt sold more season tickets last year because PSU was on their schedule. At least we didn't tie Pitt tickets with Ga St and Akron ticket bundle.

That is because Pitt did not sell out season tickets last year, consequently tickets were available to the general public to purchase upon terms that Pitt set. Pitt, much like the Nits, does what it believes to be in its best interest. I purchased six tickets to the game tomorrow from Pitt....so I could careless about the secondary market. I have never made any silly claims about ticket demand...as I do not think there is an objective way to accurately measure that. But based upon my Nit partners, there is great interest in seeing the Panthers tomorrow--and I reside in Philadelphia, for what it is worth. Hail to Pitt!

It's probably the second most desirable game to see this year as of right now. If psu keeps winning I think the last game will fetch a premium.

It's probably the second most desirable game to see this year as of right now. If psu keeps winning I think the last game will fetch a premium.

So let's say you're correct (you're not) that this is the second most desirable game this year. Why do you think our admin is avoiding our second biggest money maker?

Also, why do you think notre dame wants to schedule us? If they're seeking a name and big bucks I imagine they would much rather schedule a southern team.

I never said Notre Dame wants to schedule penn state. I'm saying it would draw more local interest .
Drop the "us", you're not a penn state fan.

I never said Notre Dame wants to schedule penn state. I'm saying it would draw more local interest .
Drop the "us", you're not a penn state fan.

Bullshit, you're not a penn state fan. Why would you want us to continue to play OOC cupcakes that make us no money rather than playing what you called the second biggest ticket at home this year? Why wouldn't you want us to earn money? Notre dame and similar teams aren't lining up to play us. Over our history, we've lost way more on this program than earned just based on the scandal. Our operating costs are through the roof. Why not earn some money?

Bullshit, you're not a penn state fan. Why would you want us to continue to play OOC cupcakes that make us no money rather than playing what you called the second biggest ticket at home this year? Why wouldn't you want us to earn money? Notre dame and similar teams aren't lining up to play us. Over our history, we've lost way more on this program than earned just based on the scandal. Our operating costs are through the roof. Why not earn some money?
None of this matters. We have tomorrow, 2018, and 2019. That's it until at least 2027, although it will likely be longer than that. At most the teams could meet for a home-and-home once per decade, but I think it'll be less than that. It's also possible that it'll be 20 years or more before they play again, and who knows what the landscape of college football will look like then?

That's the reality, right or wrong, and no matter what you or anyone else thinks the reasons are. Although I've enjoyed being on The Lair this week and have been treated civilly, a large part of me thinks that the less contact our fan bases have, the better. So let's enjoy these games as much as we can, recognize this series as the nod to history that it is, and leave it at that.

None of this matters. We have tomorrow, 2018, and 2019. That's it until at least 2027, although it will likely be longer than that. At most the teams could meet for a home-and-home once per decade, but I think it'll be less than that. It's also possible that it'll be 20 years or more before they play again, and who knows what the landscape of college football will look like then?

That's the reality, right or wrong, and no matter what you or anyone else thinks the reasons are. Although I've enjoyed being on The Lair this week and have been treated civilly, a large part of me thinks that the less contact our fan bases have, the better. So let's enjoy these games as much as we can, recognize this series as the nod to history that it is, and leave it at that.

College football is dead in 20 years. No caring parent will put their kid in football. The head injuries are obvious and the rewards for the vast majority is quite limited. A discussion of head injuries is a nod to you pitt fans, since your staff led the way on researching head injuries in football. That's one credit I will give Pitt, your success is great in many of the vital academic fields.

I agree that this series will be the last series. Soon mega stadiums will become more empty as each year passes. Attention will turn to sports such as basketball and soccer. The pride many feel in watching a football team will need to shift.

Last edited:
They prefer ND to Pitt. There are very few Pitt fans in this area. I knew one , and I personally knew Carson Long. And this is over my lifetime .
Notre Dame has a huge following in Pa. fwiw. Larger than Pitt does I'd guess.

Your guess is incorrect. You'd probably also try to articulate that PSU doesn't care about Pitt...except last September was the largest attended sporting event in Pittsburgh history. Similarly, you're probably one to believe that Paterno did the "right" thing even though this just covers what he did legally while it blatantly disregards the idea that he was more concerned about protecting his own legacy rather than the well being of disadvantaged children. Of course, being a nitter clouds one's judgment.

Reactions: marinomd
College football is dead in 20 years. No caring parent will put their kid in football. The head injuries are obvious and the rewards for the vast majority is quite limited. A discussion of head injuries is a nod to you pitt fans, since you're staff led the way on researching head injuries in football. That's one credit I will give Pitt, your success is great in many off the vital academic fields.

I agree that this series will be the last series. Soon mega stadiums will become more empty as each year passes. Attention will turn to sports such as basketball and soccer. The pride many feel in watching a football team will need to shift.
Dude, I really do have to hand it to you. No need to defend, and although I can't say I really understand the "whys" of it, I do have to commend you on your long game posting under this handle. Hats off to you, sir.

Curious how you are measuring this?

In the case of Nebraska I bet all of the road side corn stands were down to bare shelves.

So let's say you're correct (you're not) that this is the second most desirable game this year. Why do you think our admin is avoiding our second biggest money maker?

Also, why do you think notre dame wants to schedule us? If they're seeking a name and big bucks I imagine they would much rather schedule a southern team.

You have a very short sighted view of the situation. My beloved panthers playing PSU these 4 years is a novelty. Much like those mini nintendos and zima. If you flood the market, they will sit on the shelf. You limit supply, people want it to reminisce. Play this game every year, the price would not stay where it is this year. (which was about $100 less a ticket than Michigan on the secondary market, last time I checked)

Hail to Pitt!

You have a very short sighted view of the situation. My beloved panthers playing PSU these 4 years is a novelty. Much like those mini nintendos and zima. If you flood the market, they will sit on the shelf. You limit supply, people want it to reminisce. Play this game every year, the price would not stay where it is this year. (which was about $100 less a ticket than Michigan on the secondary market, last time I checked)

Hail to Pitt!

There's no history to suggest otherwise. In state games bring money. We need money. If you think about the money the athletic department lost due to the scandal and then consider that we spend more money on football than any other BIG program then you understand why we need these games that sell. We need money. We're operating very deep in the red in regards to football. Fact, Pitt sells. Pitt sells so much that we sold out in the spring. This is our year for revenge. It's been a long time since we beat Pitt in a major sport. This is our year to get them. I like your username, but I have a feeling you're just trolling...but whatever.

Lets see if tomorrow's game can crack the top ten. That would require 109755 folks.

Whether zero attend or 110,000 attend matters not. This game made us more money ticket sales wise than any other home game. Sandy is going to have a hard time selling why we shouldn't play this game. Our athletic department is in a major financial hole and showing common sense when it comes to financials is important. Not renewing this series tells me the admin knows very little about making money yet has no problem spending money.

There's no history to suggest otherwise. In state games bring money. We need money. If you think about the money the athletic department lost due to the scandal and then consider that we spend more money on football than any other BIG program then you understand why we need these games that sell. We need money. We're operating very deep in the red in regards to football. Fact, Pitt sells. Pitt sells so much that we sold out in the spring. This is our year for revenge. It's been a long time since we beat Pitt in a major sport. This is our year to get them. I like your username, but I have a feeling you're just trolling...but whatever.

All games bring in money. It's simple economics about supply and demand that you don't seem to understand. Are you a branch campus dummy?

How much money did the PSU AD lose because of the "scandal"? looking for an amount with a link to back it up.

The Pitt game was not sold out in spring, it went in to individual games sales later in the summer. I was pulling tickets on ticketmaster. Pitt has had some limited success in recent limited chances in what you arbitrarily limit to "major sports", but PSU athletics in general own my beloved panthers. If you want to talk strictly football, go back 10 games, 25 games. I would kill to on the PSU side (record wise) of this matchup.

Can someone please decipher what this means

All games bring in money. It's simple economics about supply and demand that you don't seem to understand. Are you a branch campus dummy?

How much money did the PSU AD lose because of the "scandal"? looking for an amount with a link to back it up.

The Pitt game was not sold out in spring, it went in to individual games sales later in the summer. I was pulling tickets on ticketmaster. Pitt has had some limited success in recent limited chances in what you arbitrarily limit to "major sports", but PSU athletics in general own my beloved panthers. If you want to talk strictly football, go back 10 games, 25 games. I would kill to on the PSU side (record wise) of this matchup.

The Pitt game was not sold out in spring, it went in to individual games sales later in the summer.

That is factually incorrect. The Pitt game sold out with PSU season ticket holders long before any individual game sales happened. I work with a guy who is a PSU season ticket holder who was going to try to buy me two extras and he went on their web site the day that he was allowed to buy single game tickets and the Pitt and Michigan games were already sell outs. That was in May, a week or so before Memorial Day. Penn State never sold individual game tickets to the Pitt game to the general public.

I think what you fail to understand is that when you went on TicketMaster in the summer and saw tickets available is that TicketMaster isn't just a site that sells "original" tickets to events, they also are a ticket reseller for events. The tickets you saw were ones that people bought that they were trying to resell. They were not tickets that the athletic department was selling.

Well, the game by far made the most money, had the highest ticket price... AND had the highest attendance since the reduced capacity of Beaver Stadium. (7th largest ever, but the others were from before the reduction)

ANNNDDDD... The Pitt - Penn state game was the most attended game in the history of Pittsburgh sports.

Therefore, both teams' fans clearly love this rivalry. Even though the university disgust me, I can see why the rivalry needs renewed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT