ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt in talks to sell next year's home WVU game to Wheeling

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
The response for selling our Wisconsin game was so great, it has prompted Pitt to attempt to sell more home games. This could be a really lucrative business model. Wheeling Island Stadium is rumored to have offered a sizeable amount for next year's Brawl and Pitt is seriously considering it. On the one hand, it would suck to lose a big-time home game but on the other hand its an opportunity to grow the fanbase in the greater Wheeling area. The city lost out on Pitt basketball home games during Covid but was able to successfully host the alumni team in July. So it seems like a natural fit.

Also, there is talk about Pitt selling its Clemson home game next year to Charlotte. Many Pitt fans would love a fall trip to southern North Carolina. Would make for a great home environment.

They could play 12 road games and really cash in bigtime!
How about playing Virginia on a Battleship
and reduce travel costs by playing Cal and Stanford in Mexico. Safer there than in San Fran.

lol Alot here have said the Pitt fb brand is more in demand outside its own market.
This strategy is ingenious.

They could play 12 road games and really cash in bigtime!
How about playing Virginia on a Battleship
and reduce travel costs by playing Cal and Stanford in Mexico. Safer there than in San Fran.

I like this outside the box thinking. We need to pay the bills and are leaving a lot of money on the table playing games in Pittsburgh. Berkeley and Palo Alto are very safe but I like the idea of selling home games vs those 2 teams to Mexico. However, to ensure a bigger gate, they probably should just sell to Santa Clara (49ers stadium).

Kent State - should sell this game to Norwin Stadium. Great press box amenities and ample parking. Westmoreland County is the mecca of Western PA football.

Youngstown State - sell to Erie. YSU isnt far from Erie and will travel and Pitt has a good fanbase up there. Pitt Alumni Association Pregame Tailgate on Presque Isle for only $299 per head.

Virginia - playing on an aircraft carrier in Norfolk is a no-brainer. The US Navy will pay us big money for this.

Syracuse - Citi Field in Queens. If Syracuse can sell their games to the Yankees, we could just as easily sell home games to the Mets.

With a schedule like this, our athletic department will be so flush with cash, we can finally build that lacrosse stadium and possibly expand seating at the new volleyball arena

The response for selling our Wisconsin game was so great, it has prompted Pitt to attempt to sell more home games. This could be a really lucrative business model. Wheeling Island Stadium is rumored to have offered a sizeable amount for next year's Brawl and Pitt is seriously considering it. On the one hand, it would suck to lose a big-time home game but on the other hand its an opportunity to grow the fanbase in the greater Wheeling area. The city lost out on Pitt basketball home games during Covid but was able to successfully host the alumni team in July. So it seems like a natural fit.

Also, there is talk about Pitt selling its Clemson home game next year to Charlotte. Many Pitt fans would love a fall trip to southern North Carolina. Would make for a great home environment.
If it wasn't November 22 on my calendar, I'd have to believe this was April 1. Most asinine idea I've ever
heard of.

Reactions: Celtsfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT