ADVERTISEMENT

Could Larry Bird play in today's NBA?

How many times did Bird have to guard a man on his own from the 3 point line and keep him from getting by him or stopping him?

Problem is in your highlights we are watching a totally different level of NBA athlete over all and the offenses are so different.

Bird wouldn’t be guarding guys in the post like he was back then in many of these videos because the guys that post up now are mostly the 5 men only.

My answer is yes Larry Bird would be a player , and I'd even say a star, in todayto NBA.

This is at best a fun question, but mostly an idiotic question.

Reactions: Drew1208
How many times did Bird have to guard a man on his own from the 3 point line and keep him from getting by him or stopping him?

Problem is in your highlights we are watching a totally different level of NBA athlete over all and the offenses are so different.

Bird wouldn’t be guarding guys in the post like he was back then in many of these videos because the guys that post up now are mostly the 5 men only.
Great athlete doesn’t always mean great defender. That and rebounding are a lot about effort

Most people are stupid too.
Left open with defense played like Middle School girls he would light the joint up every single night.

After he was dressed for the three point contest he would always ask.

Who’s going to finish second tonight boys.

Reactions: mo cheeks
I love Bird and agree he'd do exceptional in any era.

But this "they don't play defense these days!" stuff is nonsense. Defenders today are long, athletic, quick, and informed by advanced stats on how to attack each opponent. Scoring only went back up from rules changes, the return to a faster pace, and above all the realization that 3 > 2 by coaches/GMs.

Pre Bad Boys defense = stand 5 feet off your man and let them shoot. Bird came in to a defense optional league. It didn't become the norm to actually pressure your man until he was retiring.

It is hilarious seeing all the people talking up defense from an era when they actually didn't play much of it over the defense of today, which is vastly superior in pretty much every aspect.

I guess sometimes it can be hard to distinguish thuggery from defense for some folks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT