ADVERTISEMENT

A silver lining to an NIT bid.

Chanceman

Head Coach
Oct 13, 2001
Pitt would have at least one home. Fans can see Bub in person before he goes to the NBA. Also, if Duquesne loses today (hope not) , maybe there could be a city game at the Pete.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Pitt would have at least one home. Fans can see Bub in person before he goes to the NBA. Also, if Duquesne loses today (hope not) , maybe there could be a city game at the Pete.

Pitt/Duq is a lock if both teams are in NIT and that would be a pretty awesome atmosphere

Reactions: HailToPitt725
NIT is funny teams like Pitt that expect to be in the NCAA Tour either come out mad and dominate but many mail it in due to disappointment knowing they are good enough to be in the NCAA tour.

NIT is funny teams like Pitt that expect to be in the NCAA Tour either come out mad and dominate but many mail it in due to disappointment knowing they are good enough to be in the NCAA tour.

Most mail it in. Honestly, I wouldn't expect a long run and I wouldn't be too disappointed. Most teams who get snubbed dont do well in the NIT. Teams like Cincy or KSt or Ohio State would be the teams to watch out for.

Add to that, there are actually a lot of very good teams in the NIT, and they often have a chip on their shoulder when they get a power conference team. It is often like playing a mid-tier power conference team. If you take your opponent lightly or aren't ready to play, your going to lose.

Reactions: 4upmc
He isn't going to the NBA until after his sophomore season at the earliest. And there is no silver lining making the NIT when you have national pundits like Jay Williams and Jay Bilas saying Pitt is an NCAA Tournament team.

He isn't going to the NBA until after his sophomore season at the earliest. And there is no silver lining making the NIT when you have national pundits like Jay Williams and Jay Bilas saying Pitt is an NCAA Tournament team.
What pundits say on air is meaningless. They say similar things every year about plenty of teams that don't make it.

Pitt has missed any postseason 6 of the last 7 years. The silver lining is that unlike those years, the team gets to keep playing together, has a chance for the most wins in 13 seasons, and a chance to finish the season with a win and a trophy, and to prove to the college basketball community that that all the bitching that is sure to come about how they and the ACC were snubbed has merit. It did not help the perception of the ACC when Clemson rolled over at home in the first round of the NIT last season. All that said to most people was the committee got it right.

Every year for nearly 40 years there have been teams in Pitt's current position that were also good enough to be in the tournament but don't get a bid. Pitt will not be special in this regard. This is just the first time, since the tournament has expanded to 64 teams, that Pitt has ever been so squarely on the bubble; and likely the wrong side of it. The fan base has never really had to deal with this sort of situation. Even last year, everyone was mostly confident Pitt was getting in although it was surprising how low Pitt was seeded.

Pitt clearly is playing like a top 25ish team and is good enough to make a run in the NCAA if it would sneak in. But no one outside the fanbase's diehards will remember this team in 10 years if it doesn't have a postseason, because unfortunately, all that ever gets highlighted are championships and postseasons. People will remember an NIT champion team, just like they are more likely to remember the 2001 Tangerine Bowl champion football team that otherwise would have finished 6-6.

So that is the silver lining: they get to keep playing when a lot of teams will not.

I guess, but the standard’s the standard. I think I’ll get more interested maybe if they make msg.

I guess, but the standard’s the standard. I think I’ll get more interested maybe if they make msg.
What standard are you referring to?

NIT final four is at Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indy this year. They started moving it around. Last year it was in Vegas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT