ADVERTISEMENT

Could NIL deals solve the opt-out issue?

Non, no, no. Respectfully, you are missing it. With few exceptions, none applicable here, you can’t force someone to perform. Rather, the remedy is damages. Further, what are the damages if he skips game/season without excuse (a term defined in the contract). We’ll, there is something contracts called a liquidated damages clause. That is, the parties agree that if Jordan opts out, then he stipulates to damages of “x”. Easy pezzy.
No, it isn’t- and you know it. Ow, my back. Real, or no? Worth a suit you collect, or no?

Exactly! That’s why you have liquidated damages clauses in many contracts! Liquidated damages are much a clause in all real estate contracts as I noted. Why? Because you don’t want to be n a situation where if one party or the other backs out of a signed contract you have to prove actual damages in court. That’s expensive to prove/litigate. Same, as here, in what amounts to a contract for personal services. If I’m Jordan, I want that amount lowest. Collective? I want the highest. Just negotiate it out. Liquidated damage clauses come into play where, as here, damages should be awarded, but difficult to calculate.
So why did you disagree with me?

Reactions: APanther
“No it isn’t”? You got a case or statute you can cite for us, counselor?
The payments to lawyers are proof enough. They get paid to draft, negotiate, threaten and literate contracts ALL THE TIME. Why? They aren’t simple, and once certain types of lawyers get involved they become even less straightforward.

Enforce it and if you get sued, we'll see you in court in 5 years. Or....just get rid of the rule like I said 100 times. I'm fine with that.
Ugh. Guess we went to different law schools. You can keep on your book club any law you want. So long, even if illegal, as here, you don’t Rey to enforce, no harm no foul.

The payments to lawyers are proof enough. They get paid to draft, negotiate, threaten and literate contracts ALL THE TIME. Why? They aren’t simple, and once certain types of lawyers get involved they become even less straightforward.
But you have no statute nor case you can cite for your novel proposition? If not, I overrule your objection. Your motion is dismissed. We have a very busy calendar, counselor. Next case.

Since it appears that we’ve determined that the NCAA has limited authorit-what happens if a player wants to represent marijuana (sp?) or chewing tobacco etc. What happens?

Since it appears that we’ve determined that the NCAA has limited authorit-what happens if a player wants to represent marijuana (sp?) or chewing tobacco etc. What happens?
All I know is if one of them is a PSU player, the state legislature will immediately legalize it.

Seems to be an open question. Some kid with an NIL for beer and bars at school in Florida. Interesting question.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT