ADVERTISEMENT

Darnell Dinkins motivational speech

Just think how awesome he would have been on the field if he had made the switch to defense right away.

Always liked D.D.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
He also played defense at Pitt and did pretty darn well. He was a freak at Free.

Um no... he did play defense.. was he a freak fs in terms of production - no, not even close. Ramon beat him out as a 155lb freshman former DE.

He was freak athlete in terms of straight line speed for his size. I saw him run high 4.4 at 240lbs. His cod and instincts kept him from playing defense.

Second on the team in tackles for a guy who never really had to do that before since he was a QB was pretty good. If he had stayed with defense he might have developed into something really special.

Comparing him to Ramon Walker and saying that his production isn't comparable is not correct. Walker is in the top-10 in tackles at Pitt, with just over 300 in three years, right? And Walker played in the NFL so getting beaten out by Walker is not like getting beaten out by some goof off the street. Dinkins had almost 80 tackles in his one year as a starter.

I apologize for not agreeing with your narrative, but I believe he had a lot of potential on defense, maybe at LB, as well.

Motivational speeches are, well . . . the best one I've ever seen was a pregame one delivered by Mike Haywood. In fact, it was either that speech or the game he coached after delivering it that promoted Pitt to hire him. The rest is history . . .

Motivational speeches are, well . . . the best one I've ever seen was a pregame one delivered by Mike Haywood. In fact, it was either that speech or the game he coached after delivering it that promoted Pitt to hire him. The rest is history . . .

I think, I could be wrong but I do believe he was in a QB battle at one time with Lytle and Pistol Pete. That's a heck of a 3 man QB battle. Two actually played in NFL and Dinkins had a very respectable nfl career as a TE.

Heck of a battle? Lytle was one of the worst starting QBs in Pitt history, and yes he did make the NFL, because the morons fell in love with his arm strength, and ignored how bad of a QB he was.

Dinkins had to move positions, and Pete had one great year, yeah heck of a battle

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT