ADVERTISEMENT

Defund the USWNT

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Not sure what happened to the thread and why it was deleted…but I wanted to post this in the thread. Pretty good stuff here regardless of how we feel about them off the field.

FWIW, I believe that goal was called back, apparently for offsides. Which is, of course, silly.
How in the heck is that offside? That reminds me of WPIAL refs, out of mercy, calling teams offside when there’s extreme mismatches.

it also reminds me of shaping and patterns of play drills that I do with my team in training…vs NO opponents defending. Lol.

Not sure what happened to the thread and why it was deleted…but I wanted to post this in the thread. Pretty good stuff here regardless of how we feel about them off the field.

That's fantastic!! I have to admit that I really enjoy watching the USWNT. And I really don't get offsides half of the time. I mean, my god, sometimes offsides is an assumption moreso than a violation.

How in the heck is that offside?

I do not know. But if you look at the game summary for that game it was not called a goal, because there was not a goal scored in the 12th minute. I wasn't watching the game when it happened, and no one on line seems to know for sure, but all the speculation that I have seen is that the ref must have called it offsides, because what else could it have been? There certainly weren't any fouls, even all the way back into the defensive half.

You won't see a prettier passing play than that in a long, long time.

I do not know. But if you look at the game summary for that game it was not called a goal, because there was not a goal scored in the 12th minute. I wasn't watching the game when it happened, and no one on line seems to know for sure, but all the speculation that I have seen is that the ref must have called it offsides, because what else could it have been? There certainly weren't any fouls, even all the way back into the defensive half.

You won't see a prettier passing play than that in a long, long time.
That straight ball into the box to the diagonal runner for the goal is the toughest thing to teach female players so often. Don’t get me wrong, the entire thing was brilliant. But with that final ball in, so often the player wants to make a diagonal pass there to the runner instead of the straight ball into space. I’ll be playing this one on a loop for my players. No doubt.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
That straight ball into the box to the diagonal runner for the goal is the toughest thing to teach female players so often. Don’t get me wrong, the entire thing was brilliant. But with that final ball in, so often the player wants to make a diagonal pass there to the runner instead of the straight ball into space. I’ll be playing this one on a loop for my players. No doubt.

From looking at it, it looks like that is Tobin Heath making the pass, correct?

A perfectly weighted pass like that is a thing of beauty.

That's fantastic!! I have to admit that I really enjoy watching the USWNT. And I really don't get offsides half of the time. I mean, my god, sometimes offsides is an assumption moreso than a violation.
While it’s obviously different than hockey, I’m sure you aren’t giving yourself enough credit.

but here is what I don’t like. If it’s close enough where it takes forever for VAR to render a decision, then it’s not offside because clearly if it’s that close, and we are talking fractions of an inch, then no competitive advantage is gained by the player. So call it onside and move on.

Additionally, I’ve seen VAR overturn goals because when they freeze the frame, the player appears offside by an inch or two…but the technology isn’t good enough yet for us to clearly see where that player was at the exact moment the ball was played to him. All we see is a blur where the ball is leaving the foot of the passer. Again, how do we definitively know that player was offside?? Don’t overturn the goal and just award it.

It’s gotten to a point where I don’t celebrate goals anymore because I automatically think it’s going to VAR. That’s not good for the game.

From looking at it, it looks like that is Tobin Heath making the pass, correct?

A perfectly weighted pass like that is a thing of beauty.
Haha. Yeah. I think so. Now that you say that, she has that slightly hunched over running style. I can’t tell who the goal scorer was.

Haha. Yeah. I think so. Now that you say that, she has that slightly hunched over running style. I can’t tell who the goal scorer was.

I thought the goal scorer might have been Christen Press, but I just looked and she was wearing number 11. It looks like the "goal scorer" is number 9, which was Lindsey Horan.

I thought the goal scorer might have been Christen Press, but I just looked and she was wearing number 11. It looks like the "goal scorer" is number 9, which was Lindsey Horan.
Wow. Didn’t look like Horan. I even wondered if it was Dunn from the left back position.

looks like Press though.

I didn't think so either, and I can't clearly see the number, but that is what it looks like to me. It is definately a single digit number, which counts out Press.
I just remembered that my kids have the DVR set to record all USA games. I went and looked and opened up the US vs Mexico game. As I scrolled through I saw Rapinoe’s goofy hair in the run of play and I knew it was the wrong game. The game I’m looking for wasn’t recorded. Darn it.

I didn't think so either, and I can't clearly see the number, but that is what it looks like to me. It is definately a single digit number, which counts out Press.
Ok. I found it. Scroll to the 11:00 mark. It was Press who scored and it’s was as bad a call as you’ve ever see. She was onside by 3 yards.

Reactions: zookeeper2000
Ok. I found it. Scroll to the 11:00 mark. It was Press who scored and it’s was as bad a call as you’ve ever see. She was onside by 3 yards.

See, I thought it was Press. But my old, (obviously) bad eyes thought it was a single digit number.

But here is why I think there is confusion about the call. The whistle blows (you can here it if you listen) right before she puts the ball into the net, but it is pretty clear that the linesman never raises her flag.

I think the ref anticipated the offsides and blew the whistle, and when she realized that she was clearly wrong, what could she do? The whistle blew before the goal was scored, so you can't count the goal. Maybe she could have given the US a possession on a dropped ball at about the penalty spot, but that also would have been an interesting decision.

Reactions: zookeeper2000
See, I thought it was Press. But my old, (obviously) bad eyes thought it was a single digit number.

But here is why I think there is confusion about the call. The whistle blows (you can here it if you listen) right before she puts the ball into the net, but it is pretty clear that the linesman never raises her flag.

I think the ref anticipated the offsides and blew the whistle, and when she realized that she was clearly wrong, what could she do? The whistle blew before the goal was scored, so you can't count the goal. Maybe she could have given the US a possession on a dropped ball at about the penalty spot, but that also would have been an interesting decision.
Well that’s a pretty big blunder. Now you’re giving SMF a reason to tell us how bad female officiating is.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan

Impressive to see them beat the USA Z team....err I mean "Mexico."

My gut tells me the USMNT could also beat a USA Z team.

Im thinking of booking the USWNT to play some neighborhood kids. Would you guys want to pay $200 per seat? If not, I'm sure you'll be watching on ESPN.

Last edited:
Yeah I watched that game live and you guys figured it out. It was a beautiful series of passes, an amazing through ball by Heath and an amazing finish by Press. The US players were in complete disbelief about it being offsides and the replay confirmed that. Unfortunately there was no VAR for this game.

As a side note, I did not know that Christen Press and Tobin Heath were in a relationship but apparently they are (according to my kid and random internet sites).

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT