ADVERTISEMENT

Did Corey Manigault retire?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
There has been literally no information on his transfer recruitment. Considering that Stallings mentioned that he had conditioning issues and the fact that he seemed like a very raw player, perhaps he just decided to give up on basketball like Isaiah Epps.

Reactions: gary2
If only JD was his coach he have developed him and Wilson and Nix and Clark and Kithcart ! You can't root against any 18 y/o kid trying to live his dream. ,but CM and company just weren't ACC players under any coaching staff .

Are you presupposing the current replacements are?
Or that empty scholarships help?
Did I say anything about them ? We saw what Corey and co brought to the table now we'll get to see what these recruits have .
I don't think having 13 guys who can't play at the level needed is better 9-10 of of guys is any better .

How do you know he would have? You didn't even know that Ferry is one of the Top Assistents under 30..

You should just read and refrain from posting, all it does is show your level of knowledge..
No. It was said Ferry was one of the top 30 assistants. He isn't. Under age 30 he is. Get your info straight.

How do we know CM wouldn't have developed? He had one year at Pitt.
If he plays somewhere ( after sitting out this season )the next three seasons we'll see won't we . Guys who have it in any sport have something special that you can see , it can even be just one or two plays unfortunately there wasn't one moment I saw last season ( or even at Montour ) that made me think that this kid is a player . For his sake I hope I'm wrong .

If he plays somewhere ( after sitting out this season )the next three seasons we'll see won't we . Guys who have it in any sport have something special that you can see , it can even be just one or two plays unfortunately there wasn't one moment I saw last season ( or even at Montour ) that made me think that this kid is a player . For his sake I hope I'm wrong .
Thank you. Was it his toughness or work ethic?

Many players didn't show how good they were after one year at Pitt. Especially big guys. It took a few years: Aaron Gray, Talib Zanna, Gary McGee.
I'll give you McGee and Gray to a minor extent ( But he was a 7' not 6'7/8" ) , but I was at Greentree Zanna's freshman yr which also was Dante Taylor's . It took all of one minute to realize that Zanna was the better player/athlete of the two who had a lot of potential . CM showed nothing and I've said it before , but he left the best place for him to get minutes in big time college bb . I have no inside info , but my bet is KS rode him hard to get better and stronger and the kid didn't respond to that kind of coaching . Time will tell how much talent CM has .

He was the best prospect of Jamie's recent recruits. Maybe people are assuming because his coach last year didn't see anything in him, that no other coaches do either given that no one here has responded with a landing place for the kid.
Because guys who aren't good players as a freshman never, ever develop into good players down the line. I can't believe someone could be a Pitt fan and not know that.

Reactions: gary2
He was the best prospect of Jamie's recent recruits. Maybe people are assuming because his coach last year didn't see anything in him, that no other coaches do either given that no one here has responded with a landing place for the kid.

Nobody should care where these kids go.
It proves nothing either way

Did I say anything about them ? We saw what Corey and co brought to the table now we'll get to see what these recruits have .
I don't think having 13 guys who can't play at the level needed is better 9-10 of of guys is any better .

On the other hand, when Gary McGhee was a freshman before he grew the super power dred locks, I felt the same way about him that I felt about Manigualt last year.

On the other hand, when Gary McGhee was a freshman before he grew the super power dred locks, I felt the same way about him that I felt about Manigualt last year.
If you know the future I'd rather you tell what stocks to buy and not whether CM turns into a decent college bb player . I have no idea if he's peaked or just scratched the surface of his talents. ,but what I do know is that he showed me nothing last yr and more importantly he showed KS nothing last yr . On a team with a short bench he couldn't get on the court and when he did he showed nothing , what does that tell you ? I feel I've got a pretty good eye for talent ,but KS does this for a living and I seriously doubt that he tried to talk CM out of leaving . I've got a feeling CM didn't bust his butt to improve and one thing you can never say about Gary McGhee was that he didn't put 110% effort into improving . I'd take one or two Gary McGhees every yr if I could and take my chances .

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
If you know the future I'd rather you tell what stocks to buy and not whether CM turns into a decent college bb player . I have no idea if he's peaked or just scratched the surface of his talents. ,but what I do know is that he showed me nothing last yr and more importantly he showed KS nothing last yr . On a team with a short bench he couldn't get on the court and when he did he showed nothing , what does that tell you ? I feel I've got a pretty good eye for talent ,but KS does this for a living and I seriously doubt that he tried to talk CM out of leaving . I've got a feeling CM didn't bust his butt to improve and one thing you can never say about Gary McGhee was that he didn't put 110% effort into improving . I'd take one or two Gary McGhees every yr if I could and take my chances .
I never saw practice, so I can't tell who busted their butts to improve.

The huge difference between Manigualt and some of the players who improved that have been mentioned is the other players had great height and/or width. Manigault had neither. A 6'8 "project" is supposed to be playing in the NEC not ACC.

Manigault, if he plans on continuing his career, may end up being good someday but he has next to 0 skillset and if he doesn't have a strong work ethic or good stamina, it doesn't look good for him.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
There has been literally no information on his transfer recruitment. Considering that Stallings mentioned that he had conditioning issues and the fact that he seemed like a very raw player, perhaps he just decided to give up on basketball like Isaiah Epps.
Pay for premium.

Going to Indian Hills Juco.

So the last of Jamie's recruits ended up at:

- Old Dominion
- Portland State
- South Alabama
- Indian Hills JC
- Georgia State

I disagree with Souf 100% about where these recruits ended up proving nothing. Its almost the complete opposite. The fact that almost half of our roster was comprised of mid-major talent is a pretty big reason why Jamie is no longer here. He could no longer recruit at a high enough level whether that was his fault or someone else's.

To his credit, he did find an ACC level starter in Cam and an ACC level reserve in Luther but his recruiting was beyond awful and this list of transfers proves it.

- Old Dominion
- Portland State
- South Alabama
- Indian Hills JC
- Georgia State

I disagree with Souf 100% about where these recruits ended up proving nothing. Its almost the complete opposite. The fact that almost half of our roster was comprised of mid-major talent is a pretty big reason why Jamie is no longer here. He could no longer recruit at a high enough level whether that was his fault or someone else's.

To his credit, he did find an ACC level starter in Cam and an ACC level reserve in Luther but his recruiting was beyond awful and this list of transfers proves it.
Sadly you are correct. Many good things have expiration dates. Jamie met his 6 years ago.

The same people saying it doesn't matter where these guys ended up are the same people touting where Cam ended up.

Jamie deserves a ton of credit for Cam but for every lightly-recruited player like Cam, you get 10 who are only as good as the schools who were actually recruiting him.

Last edited:

- Old Dominion
- Portland State
- South Alabama
- Indian Hills JC
- Georgia State

Agree totally.

Now that doesn't absolve Stallings for who he brings in but it definitely is a reflection of the talent level this team had after the top 4 or 5 kids last season.

Agree totally.

Now that doesn't absolve Stallings for who he brings in but it definitely is a reflection of the talent level this team had after the top 4 or 5 kids last season.
We all have to sit back now and see what these kids can do . We'll also really get to see how a good a coach he really is . Might be interesting or it might be really bad ...stay tuned !

If only JD was his coach he have developed him and Wilson and Nix and Clark and Kithcart ! You can't root against any 18 y/o kid trying to live his dream. ,but CM and company just weren't ACC players under any coaching staff .
Lol

I'll give you McGee and Gray to a minor extent ( But he was a 7' not 6'7/8" ) , but I was at Greentree Zanna's freshman yr which also was Dante Taylor's . It took all of one minute to realize that Zanna was the better player/athlete of the two who had a lot of potential . CM showed nothing and I've said it before , but he left the best place for him to get minutes in big time college bb . I have no inside info , but my bet is KS rode him hard to get better and stronger and the kid didn't respond to that kind of coaching . Time will tell how much talent CM has .

Corey would definitely have developed to become more valuable than Zoo favorite & walk-on Aron Nwankwo. Aron had a couple shockingly productive conference games his senior season. Work extremely hard on defense, rebound & don't pout - 6'8" kids will get PT. But, I thought CM was going to JC for a year and then hope to get re-recruited to division 1 for his final two seasons of eligibility.

BTW: Dante Taylor became a very decent player by his last season. Never lived up to his HS ratings, but was very good.
One of my favorite Greentree memories was Khemberley's first game when Zanna completely owned him. I ran into Talib out front of my son's apartment on Atwood later that wee and talked to him about it. TZ told me that Birch was so much better athletically that he would surely become the better player. We never got to see it....

Corey would definitely have developed to become more valuable than Zoo favorite & walk-on Aron Nwankwo. Aron had a couple shockingly productive conference games his senior season. Work extremely hard on defense, rebound & don't pout - 6'8" kids will get PT. But, I thought CM was going to JC for a year and then hope to get re-recruited to division 1 for his final two seasons of eligibility.

BTW: Dante Taylor became a very decent player by his last season. Never lived up to his HS ratings, but was very good.
One of my favorite Greentree memories was Khemberley's first game when Zanna completely owned him. I ran into Talib out front of my son's apartment on Atwood later that wee and talked to him about it. TZ told me that Birch was so much better athletically that he would surely become the better player. We never got to see it....

No one ever got to see it. Talib ended up being the better player.

You think Zanna is a better player than Birch currently?

Couldn't compare them at the moment. I meant when both left college. (Although Talib left as a 5th year senior and Khem left as a junior.)

Are you presupposing the current replacements are?
Or that empty scholarships help?

An empty scholarship is clearly better than one wasted on a player who should be in the NEC because you can use that scholarship the next year.

An empty scholarship is clearly better than one wasted on a player who should be in the NEC because you can use that scholarship the next year.

Right if we only had like 8 players rn it would be different.

But with 11 or 12 now that can play we're good. No need to waste it on a bum. Especially since several players are more "prospect"/project players in this class.

#GoPitt

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT