ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Tech Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Any current assessment of the Panther’s chances for the NCAA Tournament have been accurately proclaimed as “work to do.” Tonight, our Panthers certainly did the work!

** Along those lines, I suppose if you watch enough college basketball, you can begin to expect certain things to happen.

** With all other Pitt Hoops fans, I was hopeful our Panthers would win last Tuesday at Wake Forest. But I’ve learned to expect that this was the kind of conference game on the road our Panthers would lose. Not by 33 points, mind you, but a loss nonetheless.

** Before tonight’s game, I thought that if our Panthers are the team we think they are, a solid win should be expected.

** In fact, what our Panthers turned in this evening was their most complete home win of the season, with a total second half domination of a Tech team still fighting for their postseason lives.

** Not many times this season though, would you describe a Panther win as “workmanlike.” But after the Hokies took a 2 point lead early in the second half, that’s exactly what this was.

** And let’s give our biggest work bonus to the Panther worker who showed up with the fullest lunch pail – Zack Austin.

** Zach is a pretty fascinating player. While his athleticism is often tantalizing, equally frustrating is his invisibility at times. Tonight, he made perhaps most impactful appearance when his team needed him most. His physical presence was most noteworthy.

** We already know we can be successful without Zach scoring. But when he defends and rebounds, that matters. It mattered tonight.

** But singling out one Panther this night perhaps misses the point. This was a game when contributions were across the board.

** For exhibit A, let’s look at the 18-0 run the turned a two point deficit into a 16 point lead from which the Hokies would never seriously challenge. None of the those 18 points were scored by Zach, or even our lead dog Blake. And everyone defended.

** Instead, Jaland had a pair of buckets, as did Ish, while Bub and Guillermo led the way with a two and three each.

** There’s no doubt that this clinching Panther run was aided by the absence of Hokie Sean Pedulla who had his moments before exited with his third foul.

** But there’s also little doubt that the Virginia Tech’s halftime tie was also greatly aided by the absence of Bub Carrington, who gave just 5 minutes in the first half because of foul trouble,

** After Bub’s triple double debut, I fear that the overall success of his season might be a little less appreciated than it should be. He’s still a sure fire deserving entry onto the ACC All Freshman Team. But even more than his offense, to me Bub has emerged as this team’s best perimeter defender. I think that was never more clear this season than during the second half tonight.

** But if Bub is on the All-ACC freshman team, doesn’t Jaland have to be there with him? After all, in his last 11 ACC games, Jaland is averaging over 14PPG.

** What we all know though is that Blake is working his way toward a spot on the All-ACC First Team. Actually, at the moment he’s on it. And depending on what happens over the last four games, he might might even find his way to the top of the list.

** What was most impressive about Blake this evening was the actual workman like nature of his performance. After all, how many times might you describe 22 points from Blake as “quiet.” But it kinda felt that way tonight.

** Perhaps that’s not totally true. It’s hard to understate what it does for his team’s psyche when he hits his first deep bomb like he did tonight.

** Blake hit 2 more deep bombs, now giving him 95 for the season. Only 2 players in College Basketball this season have more. And both have shot more that him.

** Back in December at the Pete, Blake was able to hit 6 threes against the Clemson Tigers among his 10 attempts.

** It wasn’t a poor Panther performance that night, but one where they lost track of Joe Girard and PJ Hall far too often. In short, it felt like the kind of game where our Panthers just didn’t put in the work they needed to come away victorious.

** For one, we were outrebounded that night by 7, unlike the +14 we cashed in today.

** Most importantly, Jaland Lowe played just 9 minutes. He didn’t score. Since that time, the Panthers are a whole different team, and more so, Jaland is a whole different player.

** So as I mentioned before, I suppose if you watch enough college basketball, you can begin to expect certain things to happen.

** On Tuesday, I expect all of our Panthers to bring their hardhats and lunchpails and battle the Tigers with their best. After all, this is their game of the year.

** I can’t say I’m predicting a win. But I do expect a serious battle of which our Panthers can be proud.

** Until then, congrats on great win tonight and Hail to Pitt!

** But there’s also little doubt that the Virginia Tech’s halftime tie was also greatly aided by the absence of Bub Carrington, who gave just 5 minutes in the first half because of foul trouble,

** After Bub’s triple double debut, I fear that the overall success of his season might be a little less appreciated than it should be. He’s still a sure fire deserving entry onto the ACC All Freshman Team. But even more than his offense, to me Bub has emerged as this team’s best perimeter defender. I think that was never more clear this season than during the second half tonight.

At the half, I was worried that because he had limited minutes and didn't take a shot in the first half that Bub would come out in the second half and try to make sure that he "got his" and go too much one on one to the detriment of the team. Instead, he played a nice, controlled half of basketball. He only took four shots. Three of those were perfectly within the context of the offense, and he made all three. His last shot, with just over a minute left in the game and things well in hand was the only shot he took that was even questionable.

Just showed how good he can be when he lets the game come to him.

At the half, I was worried that because he had limited minutes and didn't take a shot in the first half that Bub would come out in the second half and try to make sure that he "got his" and go too much one on one to the detriment of the team. Instead, he played a nice, controlled half of basketball. He only took four shots. Three of those were perfectly within the context of the offense, and he made all three. His last shot, with just over a minute left in the game and things well in hand was the only shot he took that was even questionable.

Just showed how good he can be when he lets the game come to him.

What was nice that pretty much everyone let there offensive game come to them tonight. A very solid offensive performance not just spurred by great shooting.

What was nice that pretty much everyone let there offensive game come to them tonight. A very solid offensive performance not just spurred by great shooting.

Yes. We didn't do anything out of the ordinary. We just played a good, solid game of basketball.

Let's keep doing that, and see how things turn out.

Reactions: mo cheeks
18 points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists, 3:1 assist to turnover ratio, 2 steals. That was the key performance stat line of the night for who I believe is the best overall, most complete player on this team, Jaland Lowe. Without him, we don't win this game. He played a complete game on both ends of the floor.

Above all else, he needs to be All ACC Freshman Team for sure.

18 points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists, 3:1 assist to turnover ratio, 2 steals. That was the key performance stat line of the night for who I believe is the best overall, most complete player on this team, Jaland Lowe. Without him, we don't win this game. He played a complete game on both ends of the floor.

Above all else, he needs to be All ACC Freshman Team for sure.
Needs to work on his defense. But other than that he’s terrific.

I think all the players have to work on something, most on defense. But as a team, we did pretty well on defense tonight. We limited VT to 28 points in the second half on 40.7% shooting for the game. I seem to recall something like a 22-2 run we had at them in the second half also. Steals, rebounding, pretty good defense.

Reactions: gary2
I try not to be too much of a ref conspiracy theorist but it seemed like Pitt got some very favorable calls.

Also, Fede was awesome in the first half. A couple really really nice passes out of the post

Pitt should have 2 players on the all freshman team !

I bet ya that in practice Zack makes both those missed dunks and shoots the ball better .

Was the best complete half on the yr , now just keep it going .

Zach was an X-factor last night with his rebounding and shot blocking. It got his teammates fired up and the crowd fired up! Shame that he couldn't get the double-double.

Defense really picked it up in the second half. Turned the tables from 50% to I think 31% in the second half for VT shooting. Perimeter defense (three-point) was good all night.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
** Any current assessment of the Panther’s chances for the NCAA Tournament have been accurately proclaimed as “work to do.” Tonight, our Panthers certainly did the work!

** Along those lines, I suppose if you watch enough college basketball, you can begin to expect certain things to happen.

** With all other Pitt Hoops fans, I was hopeful our Panthers would win last Tuesday at Wake Forest. But I’ve learned to expect that this was the kind of conference game on the road our Panthers would lose. Not by 33 points, mind you, but a loss nonetheless.

** Before tonight’s game, I thought that if our Panthers are the team we think they are, a solid win should be expected.

** In fact, what our Panthers turned in this evening was their most complete home win of the season, with a total second half domination of a Tech team still fighting for their postseason lives.

** Not many times this season though, would you describe a Panther win a “workmanlike.” But after the Hokies took a 2 point lead early in the second half, that’s exactly what this was.

** And let’s give our biggest work bonus to the Panther worker who showed up with the fullest lunch pail – Zack Austin.

** Zach is a pretty fascinating player. While his athleticism is often tantalizing, equally frustrating is his invisibility at times. Tonight, he made perhaps most impactful appearance when his team needed him most. His physical presence was most noteworthy.

** We already know we can be successful without Zach scoring. But when he defends and rebounds, that matters. It mattered tonight.

** But singling out one Panther this night perhaps misses the point. This was a game when contributions were across the board.

** For exhibit A, let’s look at the 18-0 run the turned a two point deficit into a 16 point lead from which the Hokies would never seriously challenge. None of the those 18 points were scored by Zach, or even our lead dog Blake. And everyone defended.

** Instead, Jaland had a pair of buckets, as did Ish, while Bub and Guillermo led the way with a two and three each.

** There’s no doubt that this clinching Panther run was aided by the absence of Hokie Sean Pedulla who had his moments before exited with his third foul.

** But if Bub is on the All-ACC freshman team, doesn’t Jaland have to be there with him? After all, in his last 11 ACC games, Jaland is averaging over 14PPG.

** What we all know though is that Blake is working his way toward a spot on the All-ACC First Team. Actually, at the moment he’s on it. And depending on what happens over the last four games, he might might even find his way to the top of the list.

** What was most impressive about Blake this evening was the actual workman like nature of his performance. After all, how many times might you describe 22 points from Blake as “quiet.” But it kinda felt that way tonight.

** Perhaps that’s not totally true. It’s hard to understate what it does for his team’s psyche when he hits his first deep bomb like he did tonight.

** Blake hit 2 more deep bombs, now giving him 95 for the season. Only 2 players in College Basketball this season have more. And both have shot more that him.

** Back in December at the Pete, Blake was able to hit 6 threes against the Clemson Tigers among his 10 attempts.

** It wasn’t a poor Panther performance that night, but one where they lost track of Joe Girard and PJ Hall far too often. In short, it felt like the kind of game where our Panthers just didn’t put in the work they needed to come away victorious.

** For one, we were outrebounded that night by 7, unlike the +14 we cashed in today.

** Most importantly, Jaland Lowe played just 9 minutes. He didn’t score. Since that time, the Panthers are a whole different team, and more so, Jaland is a whole different player.

** So as I mentioned before, I suppose if you watch enough college basketball, you can begin to expect certain things to happen.

** On Tuesday, I expect all of our Panthers to bring their hardhats and lunchpails and battle the Tigers with their best. After all, this is their game of the year.

** I can’t say I’m predicting a win. But I do expect a serious battle of which our Panthers can be proud.

It will be very hard to win at Clemson. we will be solid underdogs, but if we can somehow pull it off, i think we run to the ncaa tourney. with a loss, pitt would probably have to make it to the finals of the acc toiurney to get in.

It will be very hard to win at Clemson. we will be solid underdogs, but if we can somehow pull it off, i think we run to the ncaa tourney. with a loss, pitt would probably have to make it to the finals of the acc toiurney to get in.

At the very least if we lose at Clemson, we'll need to win out then win at least 1 game in the ACCT. And that's still iffy. Winning out will not be easy, either.

Leggett has been crucial, potential 6th man of the year. He is so valuable. consistent. His strength going to the hoop is something we need very badly. He has been shooting the 3 consistently well also.

Reactions: PollCat99
I think he just needs to get stronger. He struggles some with physical ball screens. But his points tonight were effortless.
Agree 100%. I have dreams of what this team could be like if Bub and Lowe were here as juniors and seniors. With their skill level, if they had fully developed 21-22 year old bodies, we would be looking at an NBA backcourt. I realize they won't be here that long. Having said that, the relationship between coach Capel and their fathers is very strong and gives me hope they will return next season.

Pitt should have 2 players on the all freshman team !

I bet ya that in practice Zack makes both those missed dunks and shoots the ball better .

Was the best complete half on the yr , now just keep it going .
Man the biggies are going to come after both......hard.

Agree 100%. I have dreams of what this team could be like if Bub and Lowe were here as juniors and seniors. With their skill level, if they had fully developed 21-22 year old bodies, we would be looking at an NBA backcourt. I realize they won't be here that long. Having said that, the relationship between coach Capel and their fathers is very strong and gives me hope they will return next season.

Money talks. Regardless of how much their fathers like Capel, they'll jump at NIL money that we can't offer or aren't willing to offer. Take some NIL money from that underperforming, mediocre football program and give it to Jaland and Bub. At the very least, keep one of them at Pitt.

Zach was an X-factor last night with his rebounding and shot blocking. It got his teammates fired up and the crowd fired up! Shame that he couldn't get the double-double.

Defense really picked it up in the second half. Turned the tables from 50% to I think 31% in the second half for VT shooting. Perimeter defense (three-point) was good all night.
I think it was because they had Zach, do something I think they should make him do always, and that is play closer to the basket. All he does is stand outside the 3 point line. On defense they had him help a lot on the bigs, which keeps him closer to the basket, where he can defend the basket.

Now is VT's head coach the same Mike Young who used to play for us?

usa-today-7845359.0.jpg

usa_today_20168181.0.jpg

They do kind of look the same!

• Haha
Reactions: jctrack and pittjas
@DT_PITT your point about Jaland being a non-factor in the game Clemson played here is a notable one.

Lowe was still being used in a very limited way then. Hardly in the mix. Still learning. Still healing/recovering from that ankle injury.

Pitt needs to tag Girard. Cannot ball watch on D and lose track of him. Take away his time and space. Better yet, keep the ball away from him whenever possible.

Bigs need to play Hall tough without fouling. He’s good and will get some. But the Panthers can’t let him go off and dominate.

Also, as always - and particularly with a shooter like Girard on the floor - Pitt has to be very good and efficient on the D glass. Extra chances for Clemson will be trouble. Can’t let them grab an O rebound and kick it out to Joe G for 3. Or get many put-backs or tap-ins.

Need a focused and complete 40 minute game from everybody. Never easy on the road. But this group does have some very successful road wins to use for knowing what it takes.

Last edited:
Pitt has a limited rotation. I worry about their legs at this point. We forget we were hoping to go into this season with Papa Kante and Dior Johnson. Plus then JDG goes out. The shame is, because that happened so early, it took awhile for this team to find its self, especially as Jaland Lowe has come on and been actually one of the better guards in the conference.

** Not many times this season though, would you describe a Panther win as “workmanlike.” But after the Hokies took a 2 point lead early in the second half, that’s exactly what this was.

The only things I can say with certainty are:
1. This team is mentally tough, and
2. They play hard every minute

I don’t get to many games in person since I live in FL. But when in state I go.
You might think I was upset when we were down 19 in the 2nd half at Miami.
I sure as hell wasn’t happy, but I said to my wife I could not be upset because they played every possession hard.
Everything went right for Mimi.
Our guys were not phased. You could tell they were tired (4 straight road games), but they didn’t stop playing hard.
We all know how that game turned out.
I like these guys because they play hard at all times.
That is all I can ask.

I think for the last game of the year, besides senior night, we should have "Man Bun Night" to recognize Jaland Lowe for his contributions this year. Men in attendance wear a man bun. If you don't have enough hair to do that, like I don't, go buy a man bun at Ulta or wherever good man buns are sold. Women, you can probably pull this one off pretty easily.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT