ADVERTISEMENT

Dior… HE GONE

I said they should have kicked him off back then but they made the decision to reinstate him. The kid didnt do anything else wrong after being reinstated. It was wrong to use the past act to kick him off AFTER he had already been reinstated

Johnson being reinstated earlier was a mistake that Lyke and Capel made. It had to be rectified. And no one knows what Johnson did since his reinstatement that might have been wrong or against team rules. We can speculate, but not one of us knows a thing about his actions since reinstatement.

against team rules.
Actually if it were team rules Capel would be part of the decision, but as far as off court conduct , this staff does not really seam to have team rules. Again, I do not think there is a need to defend them, many college staffs, most perhaps, operate generally he same way.

Actually if it were team rules Capel would be part of the decision, but as far as off court conduct , this staff does not really seam to have team rules. Again, I do not think there is a need to defend them, many college staffs, most perhaps, operate generally he same way.
I doubt Capel has "team rules" as its kind of an antiquated notion. Team rules should be as follows:
Don't do anything stupid that would embarrass the front of the jersey and stain the name on the back of the jersey.

Having specific team rules mean you have to discipline them arbitrarily too much. Just my opinion, but haven't seen many teams do this lately. Maybe team "expectations"

As a Pitt Bb fan I selfishly wanted to see him play at Pitt .

None of us know what really happened and who instigated the incident. However it always seems to turn out to be 100% the athletes ( male ) fault . I’m not saying in this case it wasn’t , but I don’t know nor does anyone else on here know for sure . Pleading down to lessor charges is a way of ending a bad situation and moving on .

None of us know if he abided by any conditions that were placed upon him , but I’d be willing to bet that if he violated any of those conditions or team rules HC Capel would’ve booted him off the team and he wouldn’t have gone to Spain with the team .

What really bothers me is the timing of the decision and how it impacts the kid . Why wouldn’t you give the kid a chance to turn his life around ? Why would you kick him out of school at a time that it would be very difficult for him to find a new school ? I also doubt that there’s not others who have done far worse things in their life that are currently attending The University of Pgh .

Pitt gets a big fat F for their handling of this and I for one hope Dior lands on his feet and gets another chance .

Last edited:
Reactions: lunzhegu
As a Pitt Bb fan I selfishly wanted to see him play at Pitt .

None of us know what really happened and who instigated the incident. However it always seems to turn out to be 100% the athletes ( male ) fault . I’m not saying in this case it wasn’t , but I don’t know nor does anyone else not there know for sure . Pleading down to lessor charges is a way of ending a bad situation and moving on .

None of us know if he abided by any conditions that were placed upon him , but I’d be willing to bet that if he violated any of those conditions or team rules HC Capel would’ve booted him off the team and he wouldn’t have gone to Spain with the team .

What really bothers me is the timing of the decision and how it impacts the kid . Why wouldn’t you give the kid a chance to turn his life around ? Why would you kick him out of school at a time that it would be very difficult for him to find a new school ? I also doubt that there’s not others who have done far worse things in their life that are currently attending The University of Pgh .

Pitt gets a big fat F for their handling of this and I for one hope Dior lands on his feet and gets another chance .
Do we KNOW he was booted out?

Having specific team rules mean you have to discipline them arbitrarily too much.
Not really, if expectations and high standards are nicely spelled out, and important and the team culture is built around them and there are fair consequences meant to modify behaviors it can be done to a degree Not too harsh but can be cumulative if for those who refuse to get in line. But generally the real problem for today is that.....

Having specific team rules mean you have to discipline them
so instead the University has to step in and do it. The opposite of "Discipline yourself so others don't have to."

I would take that bet, Capel just isn't that guy, fwiw.
Dior had to be on a short lease and I’d also bet he knew it . JC would have to be a fool to keep a guy with habitual criminal activity who could bring down his program , one incident can be overlooked , depending on the circumstances, but two isn’t going to fly , especially at a school like Pitt .

JC would have to be a fool to keep a guy with habitual criminal activity who could bring down his program

I am looking at it as is, there is no new criminal problem. If the kid was not toeing the line with the conditions set forth by the university, I don't believe Capel would cut him for that, the timing ruins the kids year, more or less and Capel is not that type of coach, IMHO.

As others have said, no one knows the circumstances with Johnson. For all we know, his grades weren't acceptable and he flunked out. I would think they'd place him on probation, but how many second chances can someone like this get? He is replaceable. Unfortunate that they didn't kick him out earlier in the year so they'd have a better chance of getting a quality player to replace him.

As others have said, no one knows the circumstances with Johnson. For all we know, his grades weren't acceptable and he flunked out. I would think they'd place him on probation, but how many second chances can someone like this get? He is replaceable. Unfortunate that they didn't kick him out earlier in the year so they'd have a better chance of getting a quality player to replace him.

The PG said it wasnt anything new so that would indicate it wasnt grades or anything else. Will we ever know for sure? No. But someone from within the basketball program "leaked" to their beat writer that it wasnt anything new. The new admin corrected what they viewed was a mistake by the old admin. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

The PG said it wasnt anything new so that would indicate it wasnt grades or anything else. Will we ever know for sure? No. But someone from within the basketball program "leaked" to their beat writer that it wasnt anything new. The new admin corrected what they viewed was a mistake by the old admin. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.
The PG was vague.

I wouldn't put much stock in a leak from the inside the program. If there was something new, I don't know that it would really be in anyone's best interest to make it public.

I am looking at it as is, there is no new criminal problem. If the kid was not toeing the line with the conditions set forth by the university, I don't believe Capel would cut him for that, the timing ruins the kids year, more or less and Capel is not that type of coach, IMHO.
Then JC loses all his credibility with all his other players . A troubled kid no matter how talented with a history of bad behavior while in your program has no margin of error .

Not really, if expectations and high standards are nicely spelled out, and important and the team culture is built around them and there are fair consequences meant to modify behaviors it can be done to a degree Not too harsh but can be cumulative if for those who refuse to get in line. But generally the real problem for today is that.....

so instead the University has to step in and do it. The opposite of "Discipline yourself so others don't have to."
Expectations and rules are completely different.

Do you really think Capel has to tell his players don’t steal a car, don’t hit a woman, don’t “hit a cop”?

There used to be people who would say these are the team rules ala a paterno and because you end up using depth chart justice you look like a hypocrite. Setting yourself up for failure with rules.

Do you really think Capel has to tell his players don’t steal a car, don’t hit a woman, don’t “hit a cop”?
...yeah and while he's at it how about telling his Assistant coach/brother to act with some dignity as Pitt coach next time he's at UNC instead of a Jerry Springer guest.

...yeah and while he's at it how about telling his Assistant coach/brother to act with some dignity as Pitt coach next time he's at UNC instead of a Jerry Springer guest.
ah, it couldn't hurt.
Unless you value integrity over winning, unlike our man Paterno
Acting as a good representative for Pitt I am sure is reinforced multiple times throughout the week at meetings. Those aren’t team rules. It’s essentially don’t do anything stupid or illegal.

But kids will be kids. Re: his brother… well, kids will be kids

This team is better without the thug life of Dior Johnson and John Hugley. Team chemistry is so much better when its not these me me me tough guys who cant shoot very well. Yes the blue collar team mentality worked about a decade ago but Im over it

This team is better without the thug life of Dior Johnson and John Hugley. Team chemistry is so much better when its not these me me me tough guys who cant shoot very well. Yes the blue collar team mentality worked about a decade ago but Im over it
Well 1) I was the only person alive who knew Hugley was a big waste of space
2) the team seemed to like Dior and we have no idea how he would’ve played with them

Sad situation all the way around. There were no winners here. The University looks bad. The kid was shafted due to the timing as was coach Capel and the team. A cluster**** on all parties involved.

Yes. Article indicates Dior was initially sanctioned by Title 9 decision-maker and the decision was to remove him from Pitt. Dior appealed, but grounds for overturning the decision were limited. Dior had to know his chances were slim… so did Capel ( why not recruit another guard).
Gabel had nothing to do with disposition of this matter.

Yes. Article indicates Dior was initially sanctioned by Title 9 decision-maker and the decision was to remove him from Pitt. Dior appealed, but grounds for overturning the decision were limited. Dior had to know his chances were slim… so did Capel ( why not recruit another guard).
Gabel had nothing to do with disposition of this matter.

Incorrect.

There are only 2 people who could file a complaint to have Johnson punished by the university: the victim or Pitt's Title IX coordinator (ie a Pitt employee). While it is possible that the victim filed this complaint, it seems much more likely that when the new admin took over, the Title IX coordinator was told to "look into this" and it was decided to file the complaint.

You can draw different conclusions from the article but I dont believe this complaint was filed last fall and it took 10 months to get resolved and he was in school, traveling with the team the whole time.

This is an estimated time frame you all want to believe

September: incident
October: formal university complaint filed and 3rd party investigation begins
December: allowed back in school and back on team pending results of investigation
May: extremely long "investigation" is completed and given to 3rd party decison maker
June: hearing
July: decision and appeal
August: Spain
Late August: Appeal unsuccessful

Here's my timeline:

December: Johnson allowed back into school and team since there was no university complaint filed by the victim or the Pitt employee who is the Title IX director

July: Gabel takes office and is unaware of this situation but someone alerts her to it. She tells the NEW Title IX coordinator (who started at Pitt in April 2023) to look into. The new Title IX coordinator decides to file a complaint and the 3rd party investigation begins

Early August: Investigation results are given to 3rd party decision maker and hearing takes place. Decision is to kick him off. Johnson appeals.

Late August: Johnson loses appeal.

I have said many times that Johnson should have been kicked off the team last September but the decision was to allow him to come back. What I dont like is that the new administration corrected what they believed was an error by the last administration.

Incorrect.

There are only 2 people who could file a complaint to have Johnson punished by the university: the victim or Pitt's Title IX coordinator (ie a Pitt employee). While it is possible that the victim filed this complaint, it seems much more likely that when the new admin took over, the Title IX coordinator was told to "look into this" and it was decided to file the complaint.

You can draw different conclusions from the article but I dont believe this complaint was filed last fall and it took 10 months to get resolved and he was in school, traveling with the team the whole time.

This is an estimated time frame you all want to believe

October: formal university complaint filed and 3rd party investigation begins
December: allowed back in school and back on team pending results of investigation
May: extremely long "investigation" is completed and given to 3rd party decison maker
June: hearing
July: decision and appeal
August: Spain
Late August: Appeal unsuccessful

Here's my timeline:

December: Johnson allowed back into school and team since there was no university complaint filed by the victim or the Pitt employee who is the Title IX director

July: Gabel takes office and is unaware of this situation but someone alerts her to it. She tells the NEW Title IX coordinator (who started at Pitt in April 2023) to look into. The new Title IX coordinator decides to file a complaint and the 3rd party investigation begins

Early August: Investigation results are given to 3rd party decision maker and hearing takes place. Decision is to kick him off. Johnson appeals.

Late August: Johnson loses appeal.

I have said many times that Johnson should have been kicked off the team last September but the decision was to allow him to come back. What I dont like is that the new administration corrected what they believed was an error by the last administration.
You just can’t refrain from speculation and ignoring the evidence. This article, and everything written about his dismissal, clearly state that the new chancellor had nothing to do with this decision. Why not blame it on Scott Barnes, too?

You just can’t refrain from speculation and ignoring the evidence. This article, and everything written about his dismissal, clearly state that the new chancellor had nothing to do with this decision. Why not blame it on Scott Barnes, too?

It says she didnt unilaterally make the decision. She could have easily told the new Title IX coordinator to take a look at it

You don’t wait close to a year to act , either you kick him out once he admitted quilt or you can help the kid get on the right path . All Pitt did was adversely affect the kids life . Makes me embarrassed to be a Pitt grad .

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
You don’t wait close to a year to act , either you kick him out once he admitted quilt or you can help the kid get on the right path . All Pitt did was adversely affect the kids life . Makes me embarrassed to be a Pitt grad .
It’s a shame that Pitt forced Dior to beat up that young lady. I’m sure it’s Pitt’s fault that Dior switched schools 7x.

You are an embarrassment to my Pitt Diploma

It’s a shame that Pitt forced Dior to beat up that young lady. I’m sure it’s Pitt’s fault that Dior switched schools 7x.

Exactly. Pitt gave the guy a chance and he decided to get involved in a domestic. It’s no one’s fault but his. He got to take Pitt classes for a year instead of at some JUCO so I actually think Pitt did him a solid.

I don’t have any information on what really happened and who instigated the incident . If it was so egregious he should’ve have been dismissed last yr once the legal proceedings were completed not right before school was to start .

Exactly. Pitt gave the guy a chance and he decided to get involved in a domestic. It’s no one’s fault but his. He got to take Pitt classes for a year instead of at some JUCO so I actually think Pitt did him a solid.
Let’s not fool ourselves here , 90% of these kids are in school to play ball , he probably could care less about taking English 100 . If Pitt wasn’t going to reinstate him they should’ve have told him and his coach a lot sooner .They’ve hindered the kid in trying to straighten his life out and handicapped the coach .

I don’t have any information on what really happened and who instigated the incident . If it was so egregious he should’ve have been dismissed last yr once the legal proceedings were completed not right before school was to start .
Exactly. I have not seen one person say that they wanted him on the team despite his alleged crime. (None of us know all the facts behind the story )

But assuming what he did was egregious enough to kick him out now there was no reason to wait to kick him off the team. It should have been done when the investigation was completed. We don’t know whose responsible for delaying the decision but whomever it is is completely incompetent There’s just no justification for waiting

Based on what we know about the kid it sounds like the team is better off without him which makes the delay even more idiotic

Reactions: Ski11585
Welp, I think most of us are embarrassed that you are a Pitt grad too. Luckily, it seems to be from a time long ago before the school had reasonable admittance standards.

It says she didnt unilaterally make the decision. She could have easily told the new Title IX coordinator to take a look at it
"However, the Post-Gazette’s examination of the University of Pittsburgh’s student code of conduct shows that Gabel had no connection with Johnson’s dismissal." That is plain English - she had no connection to the dismissal. You made up a timeline out of thin air.

Exactly. I have not seen one person say that they wanted him on the team despite his alleged crime. (None of us know all the facts behind the story )

But assuming what he did was egregious enough to kick him out now there was no reason to wait to kick him off the team. It should have been done when the investigation was completed. We don’t know whose responsible for delaying the decision but whomever it is is completely incompetent There’s just no justification for waiting

Based on what we know about the kid it sounds like the team is better off without him which makes the delay even more idiotic
There was a very long process that took place, including his appeal of the original decision to dismiss him. If you want to quibble with the process in place, fine, but the administrators were following the process. And Dior appealed the decision, which further delayed the final determination. He obviously knew some time ago ago that this was likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrazyPaco
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT