ADVERTISEMENT

Dior… HE GONE

I give BballinsiderfromPitt a hard time but he does have good info 10% of the time and what he is saying on this makes a lot of sense......in that it makes no sense and its Pitt so I believe it. It sounds like he was admitted back to school on a provisional basis while his appeal to some egghead disciplinary board was pending. Now, why they'd let a kid as "dangerous" (sarcasm) back on campus for 8 months while the eggheads gathered all the info, who knows. That makes no sense at all so it makes total sense.

And I dont agree with what some are saying that Pitt doesnt owe us anything in terms of an explanation. We pay their bills. And these kids are pros now. Many will be making quite a bit more at Pitt than in mid to lower tier Euro leagues. We are their customers and you kicked off an important player under very shady circumstances. So I want an explanation.
Pitt doesn't owe anyone an explanation.

Just because we didn't know the circumstances doesn't mean they are shady.

From PG article:

"Multiple sources informed the Post-Gazette that Johnson’s departure from the university was not a decision made by Jeff Capel or any other official in the athletic department but rather by university officials. Sources said fear of backlash from Johnson’s previous criminal activity was the driving force in his dismissal from the university. "

You either kick him off last September or you allow him to return. I thought they should have kicked him off but this new Chancellor shouldn't "correct" what she feels is a past mistake. Gallagher, Lyke, and the powers that be made a decision on the kid's future here. The new chancellor "corrected" that decision. Only at Pitt.

From PG article:

"Multiple sources informed the Post-Gazette that Johnson’s departure from the university was not a decision made by Jeff Capel or any other official in the athletic department but rather by university officials. Sources said fear of backlash from Johnson’s previous criminal activity was the driving force in his dismissal from the university. "

You either kick him off last September or you allow him to return. I thought they should have kicked him off but this new Chancellor shouldn't "correct" what she feels is a past mistake. Gallagher, Lyke, and the powers that be made a decision on the kid's future here. The new chancellor "corrected" that decision. Only at Pitt.
You get dumber with every post that you write.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Pitt doesn't owe anyone an explanation.

Just because we didn't know the circumstances doesn't mean they are shady.

Given the time frame, I believe some explantation is in store. It makes it look like the we waited for the new chancellor to be installed and let him/her make the decision. He was on the trip to Spain and then when they return he is no longer at the school.

Has anyone been looking at the guys social media? I would imagine something would leak. If not we might not hear anything until practice officially starts

Has anyone been looking at the guys social media? I would imagine something would leak. If not we might not hear anything until practice officially starts
I doubt they’re allowed to post anything about it. But I would figure he would post something on Snapchat or one of those young apps

From PG article:

Where does it say anywhere that the new chancellor was driving this decision?

Reactions: HOF Coach
The people I have talked to who would know this kind of thing have clearly expressed this situation was no where near the new chancellor’s radar.
DT…that may be the case, but due to the public attention it has received she owns it …and either by her silence (she accepts it) or lack of her review, it’s in her lap…the fact he was allowed to practice and go to Spain as a team member, and it took nine months to review the case, makes her and OUR University look bad.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
DT…that may be the case, but due to the public attention it has received she owns it …and either by her silence (she accepts it) or lack of her review, it’s in her lap…the fact he was allowed to practice and go to Spain as a team member, and it took nine months to review the case, makes her and OUR University look bad.
I hear what you are saying. But I don’t think she had anything to do with the decision. And I agree she has to own it, but it’s still such a small concern for a university chancellor. It makes the our university look bad to a relatively small group of basketball fans. And commenting or changing the decision makes it look worse actually.

He is exactly what his past history said he is.
I have no clue what happened. Maybe someday we will, Maybe not. But a lot of us constantly said we doubted Dior would ever play a game here. He went to 9? high schools and will now enroll in his 4th college; he didnt pull it together.
Let’s all remember this the next time everyone’s salivating when we sign some highly touted kid with who has an established track record of flakiness at every stop. Chris Clark was a good recent example on the football side. There have been others on the basketball side. Who was that 4 star kid from LaLumiere who was the next savior?

If the dismissal had nothing to do with new or continued violations or academic concerns, I would think this might have some affects on the morale of his teammates and coaches ... this might be especially so if he established any close bonds with anyone on the team or staff ... without judging any of that , at the least I'm certainly disappointed to not have the opportunity to see him play ... I was looking forward to that ....

If the dismissal had nothing to do with new or continued violations or academic concerns, I would think this might have some affects on the morale of his teammates and coaches ... this might be especially so if he established any close bonds with anyone on the team or staff ... without judging any of that , at the least I'm certainly disappointed to not have the opportunity to see him play ... I was looking forward to that ....
If Dior didn't leave voluntarily, and the decision wasn't made by Capel, I'd say someone is sending a pretty strong message to the Head Coach.

I don't think it hurts morale with the team at all. Guys come and go all the time. His departure means more minutes for somebody.

Reactions: Parkview57
I hear what you are saying. But I don’t think she had anything to do with the decision. And I agree she has to own it, but it’s still such a small concern for a university chancellor. It makes the our university look bad to a relatively small group of basketball fans. And commenting or changing the decision makes it look worse actually.
She doesn't even have to own it. Not surprised she had nothing to do with. She's been here one month. There are a thousand things in line for her attention before the men's bb roster and that includes student conduct judicial decisions that have likely been in the works for months. More concerning is if she had come in and interfered with existing ongoing processes in her first couple weeks, either inside or outside the athletic department. If it is true she had nothing to do with it, and that makes a lot more sense than the alternative, if it is on anyone, it is on the prior administration, not her month old administration.

This is simply a case of people jumping to conclusions and having unhinged reactions to their own assumptions.

Last edited:
You get dumber with every post that you write.

What is it that you dont agree with. Its cool and all to insult my posts but if you would just offer some type of rebuttal, that would be appreciated. Are you capable of an original thought? You are like a bot.

What is it that you dont agree with. Its cool and all to insult my posts but if you would just offer some type of rebuttal, that would be appreciated. Are you capable of an original thought? You are like a bot.
That's a fair criticism. My apologies for the insult.

My issue with what you posted is that you post your theories without any facts to support them.

I will cease with the personal insults.

She doesn't even have to own it. Not surprised she had nothing to do with. She's been here one month. There are a thousand things in line for her attention before the men's bb roster and that includes student conduct judicial decisions that have likely been in the works for months. More concerning is if she had come in and interfered with existing ongoing processes in her first couple weeks, either inside or outside the athletic department. If it is true she had nothing to do with it, and that makes a lot more sense than the alternative, if it is on anyone, it is on the prior administration, not her month old administration.

This is simply a case of people jumping to conclusions and having unhinged reactions to their own assumptions.

I concur with your addition that she doesn't have to own it, except that she "owns" everything that happens at Pitt. But yes, this is likely #1001 on the list of things requiring her attention.

Although I do know there any many who have drawn the conclusion that she got involved and that's the piece of the equation that caused the change, mostly because of timing.

I concur with your addition that she doesn't have to own it, except that she "owns" everything that happens at Pitt. But yes, this is likely #1001 on the list of things requiring her attention.

Although I do know there any many who have drawn the conclusion that she got involved and that's the piece of the equation that caused the change, mostly because of timing.

Can we stop downplaying the importance of bball and football to a Chancellor? Pitt has 2 big money pro teams. They have chosen to compete in these pro sports. Its big money, huge visibility, and extremely important to a university. So, no, it shouldnt be #1001 on her list. The decision to whether to all a player to remain on your pro basketball team should probably be Top 5 on her list. She signed up to run a university with big-time athletics. She knows the deal.

• Haha
Reactions: TD_6082
Can we stop downplaying the importance of bball and football to a Chancellor? Pitt has 2 big money pro teams. They have chosen to compete in these pro sports. Its big money, huge visibility, and extremely important to a university. So, no, it shouldnt be #1001 on her list. The decision to whether to all a player to remain on your pro basketball team should probably be Top 5 on her list. She signed up to run a university with big-time athletics. She knows the deal.
In your world only.

In your world only.

Well, it shouldn't have been on her list because the decision had already been made. She shouldn't have corrected Gallagher's decision. In any event, Pitt's 2 pro teams should be high on her list of priorities. You are probably right that they arent but that's because Pitt thinks its Princeton. It cant get into the Ivy League but if the Patriot League came calling and Pitt could align with Bucknell, Lehigh, American, Lafayette, BU, etc, they'd probably jump at that

I think your assessment of what we know seems accurate. However, allow me to add that Dior and Pitt hoops proceeded (and/or) was allowed to operate as if Dior was reinstated during the appeal process. That seems to be the biggest problem.
And the appeals process went on for months and months.

Really? You have no problem with this dragging on for months then bang right before school starts and just a few weeks before basketball practice officially begins?
I’d say Paco is off on that view, what’s bad about this whole thing is almost entirely the timing. And while the timing is bad for the Pitt BB team, that is really insignificant and irrelevant. More importantly, the timing is poor and most detrimentally impactful to the individual involved.

Only caveats to that the above is if Johnson went astray since being reinstated/allowed back to the school and BB program, or if the Pitt admin told Johnson at the beginning that it would be left hanging and a final decision made not until right before the start of the fall semester.

So, the new chancellor may not have had this high on her to do list?
If that's the situation, it certainly goes against what the previous
chancellor said about athletics being the "front porch" of the
university. If the previous chancellor believed this, why in hell
did he let it play out so long. He had to know it would be terrible
PR for the university. 1000 and 1 on the to do list? Yeah, maybe
for a non descript "regular" student. This slow process had the
making of awful PR for Pitt. Were they asleep on this?

My sense is this new chancellor, having recently arrived , let it
play out with the decision making disciplinary board (if there is
one) coming to its conclusion. I'm willing to bet she's investigating
the process and meeting with the AD, and other administrators
about the process, and how bad it looks for the university. My
feeling is that besides meeting, she should be crawling up the
asses of those who let this drag out. Please understand, I'm not
saying Pitt should have been lenient with Dior. I stated earlier that
he should have been kicked off the team and the university earlier.
He's a sudent and deserved a much speedier decision making
process. The past leadership, not the new chancellor is to blame
here. That past leadership involves the chancellor, and his
administration IMO.

Really? You have no problem with this dragging on for months then bang right before school starts and just a few weeks before basketball practice officially begins?
If you read the threads in order, when some people were jumping on the new chancellor to place blame... who has been at Pitt one month... foaming at the mouth, ranting and raving, calling her "Karen" because a dismissal didn't happen prior to the Spain trip at the beginning of August....that timing difference of, what, three weeks, I had zero problem with such a timing difference for something that probably didn't even involve the chancellor in the first place.

I don't know what judicial process played out behind the scenes. Djor was entitled to what ever due process any student at Pitt was entitled to for breaches of student conduct. I'm assuming the possible outcomes were well known to everyone. So no, without knowing the facts, I don't have any problem with anything unless the process was altered unfairly, and there is no indication of that. If it was lengthened unfairly, that is an issue. I personally would have rather it played out faster so everyone could move on, but I don't know what this process entailed and why it took as long as it did, and whether that was normal or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
If you read the threads in order, when some people were jumping on the new chancellor to place blame... who has been at Pitt one month... foaming at the mouth, ranting and raving, calling her "Karen" because a dismissal didn't happen prior to the Spain trip at the beginning of August....that timing difference of, what, three weeks, I had zero problem with such a timing difference for something that probably didn't even involve the chancellor in the first place.

I don't know what judicial process played out behind the scenes. Djor was entitled to what ever due process any student at Pitt was entitled to for breaches of student conduct. I'm assuming the possible outcomes were well known to everyone. So no, without knowing the facts, I don't have any problem with anything unless the process was altered unfairly, and there is no indication of that. If it was lengthened unfairly, that is an issue. I personally would have rather it played out faster so everyone could move on, but I don't know what this process entailed and why it took as long as it did, and whether that was normal or not.
I am still calling her Karen. She didn't have any problem talking to the PG about athletics and some future plans there. You think no one briefed her on the situation immediately when she got here? Athletics are the gateway to the university and this should've been resolved 3 weeks ago giving them time to actually fill out a roster. That this appeal was so far down the list of things the University was concerned with wreaks of why we are a step below the real schools in athletics. It hamstrung your program for the current year, which the resulting depth now leaves us one injury shy of a losing season again. It's completely unacceptable that the University thought an appeal of one of their students trying to remain enrolled in school was so far down the list of priorities for the school that they waited until the class was resolved. Why was he allowed to appeal at all if the end result was pretty much already known? Why not let him know he should probably transfer? Now the student has zero time to enroll in a new school. Luckily, he is a talented basketball player and will probably enroll somewhere if he wants to. The process and lack of speed of the appeal gave the student almost no regard.

I am not excusing Dior's actions on any of this or even thing he should be at Pitt. Also not absolving Capel of not recruiting another guard or Lyke of letting this process go on like this. The process sucked, should be updated immediately and should be like a court system with some speed. The dude made a mistake but should've been given plenty of time to make other plans had this not go his way. And don't give me that holier than thou BS about the safety of other students'. He was on Pitt's campus the last 9 months and oh look, no students were harmed in the making of this appeal.

I am still calling her Karen. She didn't have any problem talking to the PG about athletics and some future plans there. You think no one briefed her on the situation immediately when she got here? Athletics are the gateway to the university and this should've been resolved 3 weeks ago giving them time to actually fill out a roster. That this appeal was so far down the list of things the University was concerned with wreaks of why we are a step below the real schools in athletics. It hamstrung your program for the current year, which the resulting depth now leaves us one injury shy of a losing season again. It's completely unacceptable that the University thought an appeal of one of their students trying to remain enrolled in school was so far down the list of priorities for the school that they waited until the class was resolved. Why was he allowed to appeal at all if the end result was pretty much already known? Why not let him know he should probably transfer? Now the student has zero time to enroll in a new school. Luckily, he is a talented basketball player and will probably enroll somewhere if he wants to. The process and lack of speed of the appeal gave the student almost no regard.

I am not excusing Dior's actions on any of this or even thing he should be at Pitt. Also not absolving Capel of not recruiting another guard or Lyke of letting this process go on like this. The process sucked, should be updated immediately and should be like a court system with some speed. The dude made a mistake but should've been given plenty of time to make other plans had this not go his way. And don't give me that holier than thou BS about the safety of other students'. He was on Pitt's campus the last 9 months and oh look, no students were harmed in the making of this appeal.
You didn't know what you were talking about. You jumped to conclusions. You were unhinged. And now you're doubling down. It just means you're an ass.

You didn't know what you were talking about. You jumped to conclusions. You were unhinged. And now you're doubling down. It just means you're an ass.
I didn't double down. I used new information to form an opinion. I don't just schill for everyone who works for Pitt like you clearly do though.

The safety of female students was so in jeopardy that we allowed big bad Dior on campus for 11 months after the incident and 6 weeks into her tenure. Glad we can be the most moral school in America though. That's why we're paying professors almost 4 million dollars and not our head basketball coach....

I didn't double down. I used new information to form an opinion. I don't just schill for everyone who works for Pitt like you clearly do though.

The safety of female students was so in jeopardy that we allowed big bad Dior on campus for 11 months after the incident and 6 weeks into her tenure. Glad we can be the most moral school in America though. That's why we're paying professors almost 4 million dollars and not our head basketball coach....
You've now tripled down on stupid.

not at all. How do the Chancellor's boots taste? I hope OJ, i mean Dior, has finally left campus after letting him roam around the last 6 weeks. God forbid he hurt another innocent non student female
Like clockwork, it doesn’t take Paco long before his feelings get hurt and he starts calling people names.

And that very well could be the goal here. Not saying it is, but that's the way things work at most universities when people in power want to make a move

Because you’re not a serious person

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT