ADVERTISEMENT

Do Pickett a favor

You're talking about the same guy that almost didn't get signed by anyone during the offseason?
Yep. In the same league that made Doug Flutie go to Canada. Warren Moon. In a league where rich Gannon didn’t become an MVP until he was in the league almost a decade. Plan for the same league that signed a guy named Tommy Maddox, who was out of the league who came back into the league and was a serviceable starter until they found a franchise quarterback. The same league that had a guy named Kurt Warner bagging groceries. Yep the same guy.

Last edited:
Yep. In the same league that made Doug Flutie go to Canada. Warren Moon. In a league where rich Gannon didn’t become an MVP until he was in the league almost a decade. Plan for the same team that signed a guy named Tommy Maddox, who was out of the league who came back into the league and was a serviceable starter until they found a franchise quarterback. The same week that had a guy named Kurt Warner bagging groceries. Yep the same guy.
This is a reasonable take, especially when your talking a coach and franchise that is pretty clueless about modern NFL offense.

I’m probably the only guy on this board who legitimately has said for the last two years that Mason Rudolph should’ve been the starting quarterback all along. With that being said, the whole issue was why Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert even signed Mitch Trubisky in the first place. I’ve said, for the last 2 to 3 years that their process of evaluating quarterbacks, including Mason Rudolph was flawed because they did not have a NFL offense and they didn’t give Mason a quarterback coach his first two years in the NFL. Then you have Mike Tomlin who doesn’t like Mason because he is a pocket passing quarterback and not mobile, so he benched Mason after only 6 bad quarters of football. He then plays duck Hodges, and never goes back to Mason until the end of the year when he gets hurt. So we never got a true evaluation of Mason and Mike Tomlin, because he practices nepotism simply gave up on him because he didn’t like Mason style of play. Fast-forward then to 2022 training camp, where Mason Rudolph out plays both Mitch Trubisky, and Kenny Pickett, but yet is never given reps with the first team offense in the preseason where he would’ve shown that he was better than both of those quarterbacks by miles, the same way he did in practice. Mason could’ve been a guy who was a starter for 10 years here but Tomlin’s flawed qb evaluations and ego made the Steelers waste money and waste a draft pick when they could’ve been building the team around Mason. This is why Mike Tomlin should be fire or at the very least lose a lot of power in terms of making personnel decisions. Yinzers don’t know what they’re looking at when they evaluate quarterbacks so that’s why they’re gonna turn on Kenny at the drop of a dime, but this problem begin with Tomlin.
We debated this and I'll admit that Mason has played better than I would have expected. Hats off to him.

I still don't think he's the answer moving forward, but he's at least proving he belongs in the league.

Yep. In the same league that made Doug Flutie go to Canada. Warren Moon. In a league where rich Gannon didn’t become an MVP until he was in the league almost a decade. Plan for the same team that signed a guy named Tommy Maddox, who was out of the league who came back into the league and was a serviceable starter until they found a franchise quarterback. The same week that had a guy named Kurt Warner bagging groceries. Yep the same guy.
The problem I have with this take is the same as the player xxxx was a 3 star argument. You can pick a handful of exceptions, but end up ignoring a lot guys they were right on. Evals are never perfect in any sport, but they're correct a heck of a lot more than they are wrong.

Reactions: FireballZ
The league didn't miss on those guys. Warren Moon signed in Canada before the NFL could draft him and while he put up some big stats in that era, he was a 500 QB in the NFL. Rich Gannon was terrible and then suffered a pretty serious injury before finally having a few decent seasons towards the end of his career. Tommy Maddox and Doug Flutie were mostly bad NFL QB's. The league didn't get any of those guys wrong at all. Kurt Warner might be the one guy you could say didn't get a ton of attention right out of the gate but managed to stick around. Rudolph didn't have to play in hockey rinks or over in Europe. He was drafted in the third round and has underperformed until this moment. So he has had two good games which is awesome. He's getting a chance to show his value.

The league didn't miss on those guys. Warren Moon signed in Canada before the NFL could draft him and while he put up some big stats in that era, he was a 500 QB in the NFL. Rich Gannon was terrible and then suffered a pretty serious injury before finally having a few decent seasons towards the end of his career. Tommy Maddox and Doug Flutie were mostly bad NFL QB's. The league didn't get any of those guys wrong at all. Kurt Warner might be the one guy you could say didn't get a ton of attention right out of the gate but managed to stick around. Rudolph didn't have to play in hockey rinks or over in Europe. He was drafted in the third round and has underperformed until this moment. So he has had two good games which is awesome. He's getting a chance to show his value.
Brett Favre was run out of ATL. Steve Young had a career before San Fransisco?? Warren Moon was NOT going to be given a shot in the league just like Charlie Ward. Where did Mark Brunnell play before the expansion draft?? They ran Drew Brees out of San Diego. And you say “ the league didn’t get any of those guys wrong at all”?? Jeff Garcia didn’t exist? The league misses out on a lot of guys because 75% OF THE GM‘S AND COACHES DON’T KNOW HOW TO EVALUATE QB’S. If they did, then half of them wouldn’t get fired, and the other half wouldn’t be at the top of the draft every year looking for another quarterback to make up for the quarterback that they missed on. Why can’t we just admit that some guys make bad evaluations when it comes to quarterback play? Mike, Tomlin and the Steelers are obviously one of those teams because other than drafting who else have they been able to draft other than Mason that is look like a somewhat competent, starting quarterback? One of the biggest aspects of developing a quarterback is patience. a lot of people want to see a guy do good for his first season and never struggle but we know for a fact that it takes years in the league to get to a point where you figure it out. Mason has not underperformed until this moment. He was performing at the same pace as a Josh Allen, who was a first round pick, but Mike Tomlin sabotaged him, but not knowing how to allow your quarterback to go through adversity and answer the challenge of coming back from it in a timely manner. Like 75% of the rest of the league just said well he’s never gonna get it. And I believe that because there’s a lack of good offense of coaching in the NFL there’s a lot of quarterbacks who will get thrown to the scrap who probably could’ve been good if they had received the proper coaching. This is why a lot of these guys are mediocre. I’m just saying there has to be a concrete process by which you evaluate your quarterbacks and it can’t start with the quarterback it has to start with the scheme . Then you get the line. Then you get the skill position players. Then you get the quarterback to come in and watch and experience guy execute your system, which has been proven to work in the NFL for four or more years..your scheme has to Have gone thru 3 seasons on evaluations just to make sure that your offense system actually works. If you draft a quarterback before you have those things, you will get a miss evaluation of a quarterback, 95% of the time. Prove me wrong.

Brett Favre was run out of ATL. Steve Young had a career before San Fransisco?? Warren Moon was NOT going to be given a shot in the league just like Charlie Ward. Where did Mark Brunnell play before the expansion draft?? They ran Drew Brees out of San Diego. And you say “ the league didn’t get any of those guys wrong at all”?? Jeff Garcia didn’t exist? The league misses out on a lot of guys because 75% OF THE GM‘S AND COACHES DON’T KNOW HOW TO EVALUATE QB’S. If they did, then half of them wouldn’t get fired, and the other half wouldn’t be at the top of the draft every year looking for another quarterback to make up for the quarterback that they missed on. Why can’t we just admit that some guys make bad evaluations when it comes to quarterback play? Mike, Tomlin and the Steelers are obviously one of those teams because other than drafting who else have they been able to draft other than Mason that is look like a somewhat competent, starting quarterback? One of the biggest aspects of developing a quarterback is patience. a lot of people want to see a guy do good for his first season and never struggle but we know for a fact that it takes years in the league to get to a point where you figure it out. Mason has not underperformed until this moment. He was performing at the same pace as a Josh Allen, who was a first round pick, but Mike Tomlin sabotaged him, but not knowing how to allow your quarterback to go through adversity and answer the challenge of coming back from it in a timely manner. Like 75% of the rest of the league just said well he’s never gonna get it. And I believe that because there’s a lack of good offense of coaching in the NFL there’s a lot of quarterbacks who will get thrown to the scrap who probably could’ve been good if they had received the proper coaching. This is why a lot of these guys are mediocre. I’m just saying there has to be a concrete process by which you evaluate your quarterbacks and it can’t start with the quarterback it has to start with the scheme . Then you get the line. Then you get the skill position players. Then you get the quarterback to come in and watch and experience guy execute your system, which has been proven to work in the NFL for four or more years..your scheme has to Have gone thru 3 seasons on evaluations just to make sure that your offense system actually works. If you draft a quarterback before you have those things, you will get a miss evaluation of a quarterback, 95% of the time. Prove me wrong.
I’ve heard a lot of wild stuff in my life but “Tomlin sabatoged Rudolph” is one of the wildest.

Doug Flutie were mostly bad NFL QB's
Totally wrong. Never really got a chance until he was 36 years old, had good seasons as starter on average teams, made play-offs, lost WC games, left Bills in 2001 (last season shown) took over a SD Charger team that was 1-15 the year before, he was productive w/o much opportunity.
Gms cpl. Att. % Yds TD INT. Age

Bro got back and watch both games since Canada got axed. Pickett had passes of 30 yards or more in both. Big difference is Rudy is only throwing like 20 passes a game and they are mostly deep shots...well timed at that.

I have to admit. This situation caused me to abandon my Steelers fandom as much as they complain about Philly fans and Boston fans Steeler fans are just as annoying spoiled and insufferable I don't want to be associated with that anymore. If Kenny somehow ends up becoming the starting quarterback again I will root for his success but as an organization the Steelers are not what they used to be in the seventies I think they're poorly ran I think they're coaching leaves a lot to be desired and in general they're riding off the success of decades ago.
Pittsburgh fans are no different than Philly fans. Same deal. Is what it is... Aside from Philly having far more relevant pro teams as of late and I'm not Philly fan.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Pittsburgh fans are no different than Philly fans. Same deal. Is what it is... Aside from Philly having far more relevant pro teams as of late and I'm not Philly fan.
Dude.... Philly fans are terrible. These are the same people that threw snow balls at Santa🤣. That's not really the comparison I would use. I get your point that all fans are becoming increasingly vile and with social media they can share every hyperbole based emotional overreacting thought with the world. My problem is sports media are now reflecting that same sentiment. Stephen A. Smith and the like have made millions making outlandish and exaggerating takes. It's the new normal. There is a funny Dr. Pepper commercial about how every fan must have a podcast. It's hard to tell the difference between the fan takes and the professional media takes. I'm just over it. Not to mention most of the "media personalities" in the city suck and wouldn't find a job in a major city. The only one I truly respect is Bob Pompeani. The Ron Cooks and Mark Kaboly's of the world are so idiotic it's comical.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Totally wrong. Never really got a chance until he was 36 years old, had good seasons as starter on average teams, made play-offs, lost WC games, left Bills in 2001 (last season shown) took over a SD Charger team that was 1-15 the year before, he was productive w/o much opportunity.
Gms cpl. Att. % Yds TD INT. Age
I think what blows my mind about this argument is that we're pointing at guys who mostly didn't win and had a lot of things going against them to argue that Mason Rudolph has been deprived of his chance while eagerly throwing Pickett onto the trash heap of Steeler history.

Respectfully, the majority of Philly fans, despite some boorish behavior from the DELCO types, are at least very knowledgeable. IMO, Steeler fans, while passionate and supportive, generally aren't very informed and tend to not be able to view things comparatively to the rest of what's happening in the league outside of the 412 bubble.

Respectfully, the majority of Philly fans, despite some boorish behavior from the DELCO types, are at least very knowledgeable. IMO, Steeler fans, while passionate and supportive, generally aren't very informed and tend to not be able to view things comparatively to the rest of what's happening in the league outside of the 412 bubble.
Hey, all those guys coach (or have coached) their son's peewee team. They're master tacticians.

I have a very large family full of Eagles fans that live in southeastern PA, and lots of other friends. Trust me, they are no more knowledgeable than Steelers' fans. There is absolutely no difference at all.

Last edited:
I’ve heard a lot of wild stuff in my life but “Tomlin sabatoged Rudolph” is one of the wildest.
Explain him getting benched for 6 quarters of bad football but then giving Trubisky chance after chance with 8 games of bad football??

Sabotage Ducking GIF by Beastie Boys

Explain him getting benched for 6 quarters of bad football but then giving Trubisky chance after chance with 8 games of bad football??
Wildly inaccurate? Bad timing? The whole "sabotage" thing is revisionist.

The plan was to groom Rudolph and make him the guy when Ben was done but he gave them every reason to believe he couldn't do it. Lost his job to a duck and then struggled against a terrible Lions team and barely got away with a tie when Ben had Covid. When Ben left, not a single soul in PGH believed Rudolph should be the next man up. Steelers got Trubisky to be the starter and Pickett fell to them. Yeah, Trubisky has sucked but Pickett won a lot of football games when they made the switch (14-6 since the bye week in '22.) Trubisky got his second chance and failed. Rudolph got his third and has done well.

I mean, you can blame Tomlin for putting a crummy system with inadequate talent around him but the same is true for every other QB that's played in PGH since the Steelers drafted Rudolph. You have to capitalize when you get your chances. He hasn't done that til now. The Steelers thought enough of him to bring him back as a #3 when nobody else would even talk to him. Hardly sabotage.

Wildly inaccurate? Bad timing? The whole "sabotage" thing is revisionist.

The plan was to groom Rudolph and make him the guy when Ben was done but he gave them every reason to believe he couldn't do it. Lost his job to a duck and then struggled against a terrible Lions team and barely got away with a tie when Ben had Covid. When Ben left, not a single soul in PGH believed Rudolph should be the next man up. Steelers got Trubisky to be the starter and Pickett fell to them. Yeah, Trubisky has sucked but Pickett won a lot of football games when they made the switch (14-6 since the bye week in '22.) Trubisky got his second chance and failed. Rudolph got his third and has done well.

I mean, you can blame Tomlin for putting a crummy system with inadequate talent around him but the same is true for every other QB that's played in PGH since the Steelers drafted Rudolph. You have to capitalize when you get your chances. He hasn't done that til now. The Steelers thought enough of him to bring him back as a #3 when nobody else would even talk to him. Hardly sabotage.
Speak for yourself. I said Mason should’ve been went back too after the Cincy game. I said he should have started in 2022.

Right. A few times. You're better at evaluating QB's than 75% of the NFL but it's Friday afternoon and you're on the Pitt message board. It's almost like you missed your calling.
Truthfully. I think Rudy is better than he’ was perceived by the experts. I thought he played decent against Detroit and was a muth fumble from winning

I think he can be a solid #2 back up assuming he has the talent around him.

Truth is neither KP or Rudy is going to carry a team. I think KP is more mobile and has more upside as I think he’s better at improvising when a play breaks down So I do think KP is a better option as a starter (with the caveat that the jury is still out).

IMO you go into next year and let KP and Rudy compete IMO the offense can get better faster by retooling the OL and adding some better play makers at Wr and TE

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I wanted KP to be drafted by any other team besides the stillers knowing how all this would shake down if he struggled. Go Ravens
So if he struggled on some other team the fans and media in that city would be ok with it?

As much as I like Kenny, what kind of numbers would Mason Rudolph or Mitch Trubisky put up throwing to Jordan Addison in Whip's offense? What would our recod have been? For me, as good or better.

As much as I like Kenny, what kind of numbers would Mason Rudolph or Mitch Trubisky put up throwing to Jordan Addison in Whip's offense? What would our recod have been? For me, as good or better.
What kind of numbers would Kenny have put up at ok st with their air raid offense?

Season 3 What GIF by The Lonely Island
SMF love you buddy, but if this is your assertion what was the point of your post in the first place?

My point is that it should be no surprise if a 3rd string NFL QB is better than Pickett. They were the same guy in college. Its so hard to project NFL QBs which is why the 1st Round bust rate is so high. Neither Rudolph or Pickett made the improvement from college to NFL that is necessary.

My point is that it should be no surprise if a 3rd string NFL QB is better than Pickett. They were the same guy in college. Its so hard to project NFL QBs which is why the 1st Round bust rate is so high. Neither Rudolph or Pickett made the improvement from college to NFL that is necessary.
Uhhhhh. One of them has been in the NFL for like 6 years. The other hasn't even finished his second. If they are the same guy it says more about the 6th year guy than the 2nd year guy no????

Paragraphs are your friend.

Right. A few times. You're better at evaluating QB's than 75% of the NFL but it's Friday afternoon and you're on the Pitt message board. It's almost like you missed your calling.
Naw. Better than 90%. And definitely better than Yinzer nation. And definitely better than the Pitt coaches where I told them personally that they should’ve played Nate Yarnell from the jump. If you want me to I’ll go on the record and evaluate this year‘s draft quarterbacks and we can look back on the board and see where I’m right and where I’m wrong. And maybe in five years, I will be making money scouting. Lol.

@boseman7 let’s have it.

I love the confidence and I want the prediction, documented.

If you are right, you are a legend. If not, we will mock u for a day and move on because someone else will say something dumb, most likely me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT