ADVERTISEMENT

Do Pickett a favor

He doesnt do himself any favors with interviews like this. he wasnt starting, healthy or not. and he is healthy and he's not starting this week so that debunks itself.

Huh? He said he wasnt deemed healthy enough......He didnt refuse to not back up. The fact that hes doing that this week supports that.
he said if healthy, he would have started. he's healthy, Rudolph is starting.

i agree with the refusing to play as a backup BS. no way kenny does that, it would have been the proverbial nail in the coffin for him here if he pulls that move.

Reactions: gary2
I'm not writing him off entirely yet, but yeah - I think most Pitt fans are looking at this one through the blue and gold goggles. Obviously, most first round quarterbacks never amount to much to begin with. And we're talking about one who had a ton of questions coming out of college (many said he'd have never been taken in the first round in a "normal" draft year for QBs).

So is it more likely that he's being completely sabotaged from every angle, or might he just not actually be that good? Oklahoma State fans saw Mason Rudolph do it in college. UCLA fans saw Josh Rosen do it. Florida State fans saw Jameis Winston do it. USC fans saw Sam Darnold do it. BYU fans saw Zach Wilson do it. They all know their guy "should be the guy" and would succeed if only not for the forces of the universe pulling against them. Mmhmm, sure.
Pickett fans attribute only a portion of his poor play to the OC and OL. We don't think he's a slam dunk. We're being objective and saying that all QBs in Canada's system and with a poor OL and run game have failed. But Kenny was more or less the best QB of those given the universal constraints of the offense as a whole.

Those restraints were removed and Kenny played better. Then Kenny got hurt and Trubisky and later Rudolph came in. Trubisky was utter trash. Rudolph and Kenny played basically even (Rudolph was slightly better). So it's between those two.

I'm fine sticking with Rudolph against the Ravens. Hope he wins. I also think it would be silly to give him a huge contract as QB1 for 2024 given his play over a 3 game span against 2 bad teams and 1 that rested their starters. Especially so when Kenny more or less did the exact same thing.

Kenny is under contract. Rudolph is not. You have to cut Trubisky so the QB room is already going to get more expensive. Kenny was the guy you drafted in round 1 and who you picked to play over Rudolph in 2022 and 2023. I think that counts, especially since Rudolph isn't doing worlds better than Kenny as a starter. Sorry, he's just not. He had 1 nice throw, George Pickens going super-saiyan and house calling a routine play, and then a monster running game. He could and probably will fall back to Earth at any moment. This is a dude who lost his job to a UDFA and who has been a 3rd stringer, barely on a roster, for 2 years.

I think most Pickett fans - me included - think giving KP a full offseason with a professional OC and a portion of the 2024 season as QB1 is reasonable. If he sucks, move on, it's over. But Rudolph is not the long term answer. Kenny might be. Given their even play, we should take Kenny's 1 more cheap year to figure it out rather than sign Rudolph to a Trubisky or Jameis-type deal. Because if Kenny isn't it we will need to upgrade the QB position very soon and it makes no sense to hand out additional veteran QB contracts if you have to do that.

i agree with the refusing to play as a backup BS. no way kenny does that, it would have been the proverbial nail in the coffin for him here if he pulls that move.
Which proves the bullshit about him refusing to be the back up in Seattle was bullshit. Hes wiling to do that this week. Thats what he was addressing. If you recall Tomlin was non committal on the starter until they evaluated KPs health, So what he said is consistent with what TOmlin said

For clarity, this is not correct.

He said if healthy LAST WEEK, he would have started. The coaches said he would have started LAST WEEK if he were healthy LAST WEEK. He was not healthy LAST WEEK. He said he's the 2 this week.

The unstated remainder is that Rudolph is currently QB1 based on his play in Seattle. That's fine.

Pickett fans attribute only a portion of his poor play to the OC and OL. We don't think he's a slam dunk. We're being objective and saying that all QBs in Canada's system and with a poor OL and run game have failed. But Kenny was more or less the best QB of those given the universal constraints of the offense as a whole.

Those restraints were removed and Kenny played better. Then Kenny got hurt and Trubisky and later Rudolph came in. Trubisky was utter trash. Rudolph and Kenny played basically even (Rudolph was slightly better). So it's between those two.

I'm fine sticking with Rudolph against the Ravens. Hope he wins. I also think it would be silly to give him a huge contract as QB1 for 2024 given his play over a 3 game span against 2 bad teams and 1 that rested their starters. Especially so when Kenny more or less did the exact same thing.

Kenny is under contract. Rudolph is not. You have to cut Trubisky so the QB room is already going to get more expensive. Kenny was the guy you drafted in round 1 and who you picked to play over Rudolph in 2022 and 2023. I think that counts, especially since Rudolph isn't doing worlds better than Kenny as a starter. Sorry, he's just not. He had 1 nice throw, George Pickens going super-saiyan and house calling a routine play, and then a monster running game. He could and probably will fall back to Earth at any moment. This is a dude who lost his job to a UDFA and who has been a 3rd stringer, barely on a roster, for 2 years.

I think most Pickett fans - me included - think giving KP a full offseason with a professional OC and a portion of the 2024 season as QB1 is reasonable. If he sucks, move on, it's over. But Rudolph is not the long term answer. Kenny might be. Given their even play, we should take Kenny's 1 more cheap year to figure it out rather than sign Rudolph to a Trubisky or Jameis-type deal. Because if Kenny isn't it we will need to upgrade the QB position very soon and it makes no sense to hand out additional veteran QB contracts if you have to do that.
The only thing Id add is make KP earn the starting Job in 2024. Allow Rudy, if he decides to stay to compete with KP and even add a third (FA or draft) as competition. Let the guy who performs the best in camp and preseason be the starter

For clarity, this is not correct.

He said if healthy LAST WEEK, he would have started. The coaches said he would have started LAST WEEK if he were healthy LAST WEEK. He was not healthy LAST WEEK. He said he's the 2 this week.

The unstated remainder is that Rudolph is currently QB1 based on his play in Seattle. That's fine.
ok, i can live with that. i think he was listed healthy by thur, after a week of practice and only a few days before game so that line of reasoning makes sense..

Yeah, I'd never give Rudolph big money. I have a feeling people will be hopping off that bandwagon after this week. You can only rest so many guys in the NFL, so Baltimore will still be formidable on defense.

I'm fine with giving Pickett next season to sink or swim, though I don't know if I'd given him the whole season. If we're at game 8 and the dude still hasn't put up 30 points, then I'll have seen enough.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
ok, i can live with that. i think he was listed healthy by thur, after a week of practice and only a few days before game so that line of reasoning makes sense..
He was a limited participant in practice. Didn't get in enough work and coaches sat him because of that.

Someone - Chris Carter maybe? - said that some players can play without practicing a lot. Think of veterans such as Big Ben. And some can't. Makes sense that at least right now, Kenny is in the latter group.

I don't root for a specific NFL team and think the league is pathetic. I want all former Pitt players to do well in the NFL. Think some of u need to join a stiller forum. Does a stiller forum have Pitt talk????

I was a die hard Steelers fan growing up (Big Ben era) but when I saw the city shit on a HOF QB at the end of his career, I knew the KP experiment wouldn't end well.

I'm a Pitt fan first. Steelers second. My fandom has completely dwindled with the media and fan reaction over Pickett. I won't argue his play left a lot to be desired, but everyone is burying the kid. I can't stand it. It bugs the shit out of me.

I hope the Steelers lose on Mason Rudolphs watch. I hope the dude completely fumbles the bag. No grudge against Mason, I just want Steelers fans to be miserable.

I was a die hard Steelers fan growing up (Big Ben era) but when I saw the city shit on a HOF QB at the end of his career, I knew the KP experiment wouldn't end well.

I'm a Pitt fan first. Steelers second. My fandom has completely dwindled with the media and fan reaction over Pickett. I won't argue his play left a lot to be desired, but everyone is burying the kid. I can't stand it. It bugs the shit out of me.

I hope the Steelers lose on Mason Rudolphs watch. I hope the dude completely fumbles the bag. No grudge against Mason, I just want Steelers fans to be miserable.
If how BB was treated bothered you, I can't imagine how you'd have reacted to Kordell Stewart stuff from years ago. It was disgusting honestly.

i like pickett but i dont see Pickett staying in the pocket and making the throws that Rudolph made the last two weeks. he is spinning out of the pocket a full two seconds before Rudolph makes those throws.. that pass to Pickens against seattle, never in a million years does pickett stay and even attempt that throw..

but pickett's ceiling is higher than rudolph. I am loving rudolph now but even i dont want him as my every day starter for '24, i do think he's a very very good backup nfl qb though.

So with that said, i just really think we need a miracle hire at OC to bring pickett back to nfl caliber. he's broken, and well i dont blame him with the poor OL and coaching. he can and will fix his career, i just hope it's in pittsburgh..

the offense looked just as competent with Kenny v. Cincy.

Mason just played Devin Bush and Artie Burns. The running game setup the passes .. which were actually almost overthrown a few times. Two open field throws .. one to DJ and one to Pickens were overthrown and they actually made plays. The throw where DJ fumbled was well behind him and should've been picked.

I can't tell you how many times Pickett made good throws and his WR didn't do him any favors .. or made subpar throws and the receivers weren't close. Pickens had two TDs wiped out from idiocy with KP. DJ had one. Those are just TDs ..

but me pointing this out is me being a Pitt fan. That's what it turns into.

Results are results. I get it. I don't blame Tomlin for rolling with Rudolph, but I think it's crazy if you think this guy is actually better than Kenny. He's played the two worst defenses we've seen all year and without Canada calling the plays.

Kenny caught some bad luck IMO.

Reactions: FireballZ and gary2
If how BB was treated bothered you, I can't imagine how you'd have reacted to Kordell Stewart stuff from years ago. It was disgusting honestly.

the Kenny stuff is legit killing me. Had to delete social media.

It's mainly the media.

Making up stuff about this kid not wanting to backup? Are you kidding me??? That's such bullshit.

and I blame Dorin this morning for not stopping this narrative. He should've full stopped said no f'ing chance .. but he played out the hypothetical and it possibly happening. Ridiculous.

Rudolph is a UFA at end of season. i think he'd be smart to test the market and get out of pittsburgh. this staff or organization as well as the fans havent exactly treated him kindly..
Other coaching staffs may have given him an actual shot in a competition, but fans everywhere are tough on players if they aren't performing to expectations. That won't change no matter where he lands.

you two are basically the extreme examples of team over player and it's weird. complete extremists..

it's quite possible to be a steeler fan and also root for pitt players in the pros. it's not one or the other, i mean for you two it is but 99.999% of us can do it.
I have no clue what the hell your talking about. I would love for KP to be great for the Steelers or any team he/any other Pitt guy would play for when not playing the Steelers.

That does not change the fact that he is not elite and very unlikely to become elite. You can be a fan and realistic too.

Reactions: Pitt79
I have no clue what the hell your talking about. I would love for KP to be great for the Steelers or any team he/any other Pitt guy would play for when not playing the Steelers.

That does not change the fact that he is not elite and very unlikely to become elite. You can be a fan and realistic too.

Jim Carrey Talking GIF - Jim Carrey Talking Shocked GIFs

Reactions: jtownknowitall
To his credit he admitted he was wrong. Dudes a stand up guy
thanks man. yes, i thought at first glance that since he is healthy and still not starting, this debunks his opinion. but looking into it further, he was only listed as healthy on thur, later in the week and missed some valuable reps so it makes sense that he was not starting..

i had an opinion and after further review, changed it, admitted i was wrong. dont think there is any real harm in that.

i could do what every one else does and just move the goalposts but i hate that so i wont be that guy..

Yes I did I don't read these boards as much a I used to. While I think I know what you mean , care to give me the gust to make sure I'm on the same page.
A few weeks ago, Pickens was the pariah on the interwebs. Of course, we had some bandwagon folks who went along with that sentiment but certainly not everyone. I think you'll find discourse on the Lair over any player. Certainly isn't always cut and dry. Conner didn't get a lot of slack here before he moved on, either.

Reactions: Mikefln
Ignorant reply. Thank you. Name calling is always good.

I was born in the Pittsburgh area and a lifelong resident here. I'm not a Stillers fan and never was. I've been a Pitt fan since about 1965 and have 2 advanced degrees from Pitt, not including the B.S. degree. I personally know many, many former Stiller fans who don't want to subject themselves to the vulgarity and disgusting behavior of Stiller fans any longer. They've given up their season's tickets and aren't fans any longer. Practically every Pitt fan I know is not a Stillers fans for the same reasons I gave.

It's not that I'm not a Stillers fan. It's that I'm not a pro sports fan. Period. I enjoy watching players play the game for the love of the game. But now in college, it's professional so I'm turning against that as well. I watch Pitt out of habit. But don't watch any other collegiate sports where the players are paid.

You watch what you want to watch. Don't criticize me for not watching what you watch. What you watch and are a fan of doesn't make it right or the best option for everyone.
That's you, I don't know anyone like that, and the Pitt fans I know and attend Steelers games with number among them doctors, lawyers, stockbrokers and a couple of active current Pitt professors. nobody's criticizing you, just don't act like your point of view is the norm and mine isn't. You must be pretty F'ing weak if Steelers fans "behavior" scares you, I also have 2 advanced degrees, grew up in a low-end neighborhood and the people from there are still my best friends. Name calling can be fun sometimes :) :) :)

By the way, D1 college sports=PRO SPORTS, and it has been for decades, nobody has played for the love of the at that level since The Gipper

Rudolph is a UFA at end of season. i think he'd be smart to test the market and get out of pittsburgh. this staff or organization as well as the fans havent exactly treated him kindly..
Plus, it's the absolute worst, most backwards, uninspired, obsolete. gutless offensive philosophy, playbook and staff in the NFL.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Holy shit. I heard the rumors but assumed it was barroom rumors and not professional media rumors. I wasn't in Pittsburgh at the time.
Kordell wasn’t as beloved in Pittsburgh, as some would have you believe, before the rumors started.

Many said he wasn’t even a quarterback and had an attitude problem for not playing wide receiver, that he wasn’t smart enough to play quarterback. Lol many of those attacks started and fueled by the media

None of the quarterbacks on the Steelers roster are highly regarded by the rest of the NFL. I would suggest they consider Fields but he isn’t a very accurate passer either and commits too many turnovers.

Steelers are back to where they were in 1983-84 after Bradshaw’s retirement, as it took two decades to find another star quarterback.

Reactions: Pitt Bubble
I agree with most of what you say, but the Bradshaw comment is irrelevant. Bradshaw had a much stronger arm and he played on one of the most if not the most talented NFL teams in history. He is/was a prime example of a QB getting too much credit, especially in that era.
Once again one of the most talented teams ever did not give up on their first round pick after he was benched, strong arm or not.

The microscope this issue is being analyzed under might be powerful enough to see Kenny's tiny hands.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
None of the quarterbacks on the Steelers roster are highly regarded by the rest of the NFL. I would suggest they consider Fields but he isn’t a very accurate passer either and commits too many turnovers.

Steelers are back to where they were in 1983-84 after Bradshaw’s retirement, as it took two decades to find another star quarterback.
I want to like Fields but I'm just not there on him. He's basically an uber-talented Kenny. What I mean by that is his arm is incredible and he's super fast and tough, but his down to down consistency is terrible. He really has trouble reading the field, can't get through progressions, stares down a lot of throws, and his short range accuracy is bad.

I would not trade our 2nd for Fields.

Kenny played well enough without Canada to believe he has a similar chance of working out as Fields. Plus he has another full year of cost control. If Kenny is not the guy they should just re-roll in 2025.

Once again one of the most talented teams ever did not give up on their first round pick after he was benched, strong arm or not.
In those days there was no free agency or salary cap, they could keep a 1st round pick forever without being under any pressure to pay a second contract that might not be worth it.

Steve Spurrier was #1 pick, 3rd overall of the 49ers 1967, they kept him around as a backup for 9 years, he only started for one year, he couldn't leave and he never did, he was like 31 when he ended up Tampa Bay Bucs QB and was their starter in the 0-14 inaugural season.

Trade him out of Pittsburgh for whatever you can get and let this kid try to salvage his career. I have never seen a city do a complete 180 on a person so fast in my life. It will only be a matter of time before they turn on Rudolph again. Social media is a cess pool nowadays. Local media wants to bury this kid in his second year. This is bigger than football this is toxic stuff. Kenny and his wife are good people. The media was obsessed with him all summer. I would never want my kid in the NFL. It's like people forget they are talking about people.
I hate to say this, but I'm beginning to agree with you. The nitters on Twitter is piling on with glee. You even have a couple of them on this thread. Those enablers have nothing better to do than to trash everything that isn't them.

There were still roster limits. Not like you could just keep every guy you ever drafted.
Just saying, if you wanted to keep them, they were basically your prisoner and had no leverage to negotiate pay.

I hate to say this, but I'm beginning to agree with you. The nitters on Twitter is piling on with glee. You even have a couple of them on this thread. Those enablers have nothing better to do than to trash everything that isn't them.
Kenny isn't getting trashed by evil Nitters and hateful Hoopies because he's from Pitt, he's getting trashed for his poor, way below average, performance as an NFL QB.

Reactions: Pitt Bubble
He doesnt do himself any favors with interviews like this. he wasnt starting, healthy or not. and he is healthy and he's not starting this week so that debunks itself.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t. If this is not true Tomlin needs to back him up, and if another player leaked something he needs to do it above board. and put his name to it. Twatter blows big time. Say what you want anytime. Defame whoever for whatever.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Kenny isn't getting trashed by evil Nitters and hateful Hoopies because he's from Pitt, he's getting trashed for his poor, way below average, performance as an NFL QB.
Who happen to be nitters and hoopies. Look on twitter, see who is trashing him the worst, and look at their profile. Here's one example:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT