ADVERTISEMENT

Do we root for Wake to lose Wednesday?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
It knocks Wake out of the tournament but we lose a Q1 opportunity? A Q3 win vs ND or GT doesnt help but it gives us a much easier easier path to the semifinals.

I’m okay no matter what happens. Pitt has to beat good teams here moving forward if they wanna win the ACC tournament and advance in the NCAA Tournament assuming they make it which I believe they will. So if that means having to beat Wake to get in on Thursday then so be it. Would I prefer they play GT or Notre Dame instead sure, but it is what it is at this point.

Reactions: Harlo4PITT
I’d say to root for them. A win over Wake bolsters the resume, while a game against GT or ND is just one of those no-win situations.

I'm rooting for the Gerogia Tech-Florida State-Louisville path, but it feels like Q1 wins opportunities might be the next best thing.

I can’t believe that this team would have 22 wins, 4th in the ACC, and be one game from the ACC tournament FINAL in that scenario - and not be in.

Thank the MWC and Big 12. Jamie gamed. And John Hugley is averaging 8 and 4 on an 8-10 Oklahoma team that is a lock because they showed up for a bunch of games.

I think a win against Wake if that’s who it is on Thursday and then they are pretty much a lock. Their NET would prob move to something around 37-40 and being 12-3 in their last 15 games compared to what some of these other bubble teams are doing with 13-15 losses and losing more recently then Pitt it would be highway robbery if they weren’t in at that point.

I think it’s a really close call.

On one hand, we probably need a win against a good team.

But a 4th bad loss in 5 games would absolutely bury Wake.

If other bubble teams (enough of them) lose early, maybe just playing on Friday night helps us…who knows

Reactions: cabe23
It’s so dumb we have to have this conversation.

If we play and beat Wake on Thursday, does that guarantee a tournament appearance?

If so, then let’s play Wake.

If not, then we should want to play the easiest opponent possible before UNC.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
I think it’s a really close call.

On one hand, we probably need a win against a good team.

But a 4th bad loss in 5 games would absolutely bury Wake.

If other bubble teams (enough of them) lose early, maybe just playing on Friday night helps us…who knows

I don't think it's close at all, to be honest. The same reaction we would have to Iowa beating Penn State or Texas A&M beating Arkansas would be about how the committee perceived us beating GT or ND.

I don't think it's close at all, to be honest. The same reaction we would have to Iowa beating Penn State or Texas A&M beating Arkansas would be about how the committee perceived us beating GT or ND.
But Wake isn’t that good either. Pitt has only 2 wins all year over teams which almost 100% would be in the field - Duke and UVA.

Maybe Pitt needs the easiest path to just getting to the UNC game? And then winning that.

Wake is a 50/50 game. Lets assume we are in with a win and out with a loss. Wouldn't it be better to have an 80/20 game to win. Wake would be done and losing to UNC doesn't hurt

Wake is a 50/50 game. Lets assume we are in with a win and out with a loss. Wouldn't it be better to have an 80/20 game to win. Wake would be done and losing to UNC doesn't hurt

I don't think it's a 50/50 game; they have outscored us by double digits in three halves this season.

That said, us assuming that doesn't make it a correct assumption. 2-6 in Q1 isn't doing us any favors when our bubble contemporaries have at least 5 Q1 wins in some cases. That's clearly the weak spot in our resume. Assuming a loss to UNC, you think 2-7 is good enough? They said on a broadcast today those games are important because they're how you would fare against tournament-quality teams (obviously it's an estimate on some level).

2-7 screams, "They had plenty of opportunities and did not capitalize on them."

Last edited:
I don't think it's a 50/50 game; they have outscored us by double digits in three halves this season.

That said, us assuming that doesn't make it a correct assumption. 2-6 in Q1 isn't doing us any favors when our bubble contemporaries have at least 5 Q1 wins in some cases. That's clearly the weak spot in our resume. Assuming a loss to UNC, you think 2-7 is good enough? They said on a broadcast today those games are important because they're how you would fare against tournament-quality teams (obviously it's an estimate on some level).

2-7 screams, "They had plenty of opportunities and did not capitalize on them."

I hear what you're saying. I do think Wake would be a 3-4 point favorite.

As hard as it is for me to say this ( :) ), SMF is probably going to be right. If we play Wake we will be a small underdog. I'd guess 2 -3 to open.

And as much as I hate to say it, Wake is better than us. I dont know how they lose the games they do but they have a legit Center, a nice step-out PF in Carr, a scorer in Sallis and then shooters as far as the eye can see. Its a team that can mess around and shoot their way to a Final Four (or lose 1st Round of NIT). I think we can beat them but they are better.

Reactions: RoguePanther
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT