ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone actually care about Pitt-Duke?!?

Jun 3, 2023
Talking to a couple buddies, we are all going up to the cabin Friday for hunting weekend. Most of the guys who are Pitt fans are far more interested in Ohio State/Michigan, me included, and that’s the game that will be on come Saturday at Noon. There’s been very little Pitt/Duke talk this week, so does anyone really care?

Talking to a couple buddies, we are all going up to the cabin Friday for hunting weekend. Most of the guys who are Pitt fans are far more interested in Ohio State/Michigan, me included, and that’s the game that will be on come Saturday at Noon. There’s been very little Pitt/Duke talk this week, so does anyone really care?

No. I literally forgot Pitt was still playing. Its basketball season. Huge game tonight. I'll watch Pitt/Duke but its the least interested I've ever been in a Pitt football game.

I’m still interested to see how Yarnell plays more than anything else. I’m never not gonna be interested deep down for a Pitt game.

Duke cares as supposedly has 36 players walking for senior day. Elko gonna run fast after the game as Duke program will be a major rebuild.

Riley Leonard will end up at N Dame, Alabama or another Top 10 program.

Reactions: Pitt5593
Yes, but we've got some fun games this week in college football...

Ole Miss at Miss State
Iowa at Nebraska
Oregon State at Oregon
Ohio State at Michigan
Kentucky at Louisville
Indiana at Purdue
Alabama at Auburn
Arizona at Arizona State
Vanderbilt at Tennessee
Wisconsin at Minnesota
Virginia Tech at Virginia
Florida State at Florida
Notre Dame at Stanford
Georgia at Georgia Tech
Clemson at South Carolina
UNC vs. NC State

I wish Pitt would be playing a rivalry game this weekend.

Yes, but we've got some fun games this week in college football...

Ole Miss at Miss State
Iowa at Nebraska
Oregon State at Oregon
Ohio State at Michigan
Kentucky at Louisville
Indiana at Purdue
Alabama at Auburn
Arizona at Arizona State
Vanderbilt at Tennessee
Wisconsin at Minnesota
Virginia Tech at Virginia
Florida State at Florida
Notre Dame at Stanford
Georgia at Georgia Tech
Clemson at South Carolina
UNC vs. NC State

I wish Pitt would be playing a rivalry game this weekend.
Friday after Thanksgiving. Man I’m having a hard time remembering who we used to always be playing that day ☹️

Yeah I get why you asked and like another poster said I want to know if Yarnell can firmly grab hold of this position heading into the office season. I seen a lot out of him, but no Pitt QB has delivered 2 weeks in a row this year. I'm hoping he brings some clarity to the offense season plans. Please God no more transfer QBs. Actually no more that Frank picked out. Hopefully he is fired before the plane lands.

I do. I always care when Pitt plays. I don’t jump on and off the bandwagon.

Friday after Thanksgiving. Man I’m having a hard time remembering who we used to always be playing that day ☹️

Pitt - PissU was the traditional rivalry game the day after Thanksgiving. I forgot we were playing a football game this weekend. I'm following the hoops team now.

Pitt - PissU was the traditional rivalry game the day after Thanksgiving. I forgot we were playing a football game this weekend. I'm following the hoops team now.
And when was the Backyard Brawl traditionally played? I thought that was the traditional game. I only started following Pitt football around 2000.

I’m interested in seeing if they can take care of business and put together another win. Also if Yarnell makes some progress

What the hell? Why not? The game is being played

Reactions: Pittguy93
I care, but does anyone care that I care?
No, you need to start a thread on a message board so everyone knows. Especially if you don’t care about the game. It’s like someone who “doesn’t care” about their ex, but trashes them non stop and stalks them on social media, then tells everybody how they have moved on and are better without the ex.

Kids shouldn't be ALLOWED to watch those offenses.

Right. No parent should subject their kids to an Iowa game. Worst offense in NCAA history. Worst 10 win team in NCAA history. Worst Division champ in NCAA history. They should send them and the entire B10 West to the MAC where they belong.

And when was the Backyard Brawl traditionally played? I thought that was the traditional game. I only started following Pitt football around 2000.

Looking at the list of games, it looks like the first time it was played Thanksgiving weekend was 1995. Before that it was scattered all around. Mostly in October, but sometimes in September or early November.

Reactions: cease10
I certainly care about the game. I love Pitt, it's my (and 2 daughters) alma mater. I would watch if they were 0-10, just wouldn't take a loss as hard. I care about every hoops game too, and am following closely the fate of the WBB, WVB, Wrestling, and WSoc teams. I have a good friend that is an avid Buckeye fan, so I will watch the result of that game closely, but don't care nearly as much about it as Pitt.

Last edited:
The backyard brawl didn't used to be as important. It was an important game in the sense that they're a neighbor and long-time opponent, but it paled when compared to the PSU game.

The Penn State game was the game. Neighbors, family, and friends were all divided on who to root for. It was really a wonderful thing. That game was Thanksgiving week either Thursday, Friday, or Saturday.

WVU and Pitt had a history, but it wasn't important enough to have an assigned week. We might play them anytime between the 4th week and the 10th week.

Looking at the list of games, it looks like the first time it was played Thanksgiving weekend was 1995. Before that it was scattered all around. Mostly in October, but sometimes in September or early November.
Pitt was ranked #4 in the country in 1963, and had 2 All Americans -Ernie Borghetti and Paul Martha .
They beat PSU 22 - 21 and had a shot at Nat Champ Bowl, but were screwed out of a Bowl because Southern teams refused to vote them in.
There were only 4/5 bowls back then, and it was a big deal, but the local press ignored the situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT