ADVERTISEMENT

Dokish is absolutely right

Also, when you play those poor teams, you can play them at home. You don’t have to agree to a home and home to schedule Albany. Alabama has played one ranked OOC team on the road since 2005. We played two this season.

First off all, who calls it "ice hockey"? Secondly, what makes "ice hockey" (aka the NHL) any different than the NFL, the NBA or MLB as far as not being able to "rig the system"? So you are saying "Pro Sports, right?"

Even college basketball, is it "rigged" too?

Your takes are just well confusing.

-You cant rig the NHL. Steroids wont do it. You need to turn and need to be agile. Not like baseball where roids hits homeruns.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Also, when you play those poor teams, you can play them at home. You don’t have to agree to a home and home to schedule Albany. Alabama has played one ranked OOC team on the road since 2005. We played two this season.

-Bamas schedule is a joke. Great team that plays no one.

No it wouldn’t.

The stakes are the same for this game as it would be with a worse out of conference schedule.

but having a ranking would mean more talking heads discussing it, create more buzz. Everything in CFB is based on the Top 25 rankings. You are on the outside looking in if not included. Would definitely mean an attendance push if we were ranked by beating Akron & UMASS instead of losing to UCF & ND.

but having a ranking would mean more talking heads discussing it, create more buzz. Everything in CFB is based on the Top 25 rankings. You are on the outside looking in if not included. Would definitely mean an attendance push if we were ranked by beating Akron & UMASS instead of losing to UCF & ND.

Exactly. Souf is only looking at one part of the equation.

I'm not saying it will be sold out or even have 50K. I'm saying if Pitt is 7-2 and ranked in the top 25 with the same implications for this game, we'd probably have like 45K vs the 30-35K that will show this weekend.

We’re on the outside looking in regardless.

Our history of attendance disproves any surge ,

Exactly. Souf is only looking at one part of the equation.

I'm not saying it will be sold out or even have 50K. I'm saying if Pitt is 7-2 and ranked in the top 25 with the same implications for this game, we'd probably have like 45K vs the 30-35K that will show this weekend.

2015, we were 6-1 and playing for the coastal lead against 6-1 UNC. 43k showed up and that was a generous number probably.

Pitt fans don’t show regardless.

We’re on the outside looking in regardless.

Our history of attendance disproves any surge ,

Except when we were ranked and played to fully houses for VT and Miami in 2003 and Cincy in 2009.
And fewer people would have shown up for the earlier games.
It’s a wash.

34k showed up for Georgia tech
37k for cuse
Same for duke

All those games mattered

68,400 for penn state
Which variable mattered ?

ND, PSU and WVU are the exceptions. Those are going to sell out regardless.

As for the GT, Cuse and Duke games, maybe if we are 3-0, 4-1 or so instead of 1-3, 2-4 or 3-4 with blow out losses from PSU and UCF more people would have interest.

But it's the end of the season games when something is on the line when you need the support the most.

Again, not saying 35K is going to turn into 50-60K. But I think there would definitely be an uptick. Hell, look at the pulse on this board from 4 weeks ago until now and how much winning changes things. And twitter is the same.

I, too used to be in the camp of playing 1-2 hard OOC games a year but why bother anymore. Strength of schedule literally only matters if you are in the hunt for a CFP spot. Voters obviously look at record first along with conference. If you are in a P5 you get the benefit of the doubt. I get this year was an anomaly with UCF being good. Clemson and FSU weren't on the schedule in conference play so playing PUS and ND seems acceptable. Future schedules should include 1 P5 OOC and they should be Rutgers or Kansas. 9 win seasons drive recruiting, drives attendance, drives better bowls

Reactions: lilspainishflea
2015, we were 6-1 and playing for the coastal lead against 6-1 UNC. 43k showed up and that was a generous number probably.

Pitt fans don’t show regardless.

Agree that was disappointing. But that was also a Thursday night game. I don't think we ever had a decent showing on Thursday night.

Reactions: bwh05
That is why I say, half or more of the ranked teams are complete frauds. But.....in college football, perception becomes reality. You do that enough, and all of a sudden you become say, Wisconsin. You get the benefit of the doubt, you get ranked highly preseason, but you are an average team. But you are treated like a power. You build a fanbase, etc......
This is exactly how PSU got right back to the top of college football after their rape fest.

Reactions: Jpripper88
OP makes a fair point. However, I would not want to NOT have games like PSU and ND on the schedule...especially in this market where there need to be games with greater intrigue.

So all things being equal, is it More exciting just to have rent a victims? Not sure about that.

UCF is a bit of an anomaly because not sure they were anticipated to be quite this good when the schedule was made. Games like that are no win for us, because it doesn’t really generate “excitement” either.

So like I said....I get the point, but not sure we want the alternative either. I’d rather have some intriguing traditional matchups and WIN.

As far as attendance, people would absolutely show up at a “different level” if the program became and stayed nationally relevant. I don’t think you suddenly get 65k against an average opponent, just because we beat some weak opponents and are 7-2 or something. If we were a legit top 10-15 team for a couple years in a row, that would do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farnox
Take into consideration that the visiting team influences the attendance numbers. PSU, ND, and WVU, will bring as many people as tickets available, whereas, NC, GT, Duke, and Va bring very few of their own fans. They also don't draw at home that well. As far as schedules, I agree that Pitt has overscheduled, and it has hurt their record. Last two years are examples. Most good teams have Ws built in with their OOC. The example of Syracuse this year is a good one. But, I don't agree with the Bama schedule dissenters. They have played some good OOC opponents, such as FSU, but their conference schedule is a bitch in the SEC. It doesn't matter because with their top recruiting and top coaching staff, they are going to win anyway.

It used to be a "top ten". If you were in, you were pretty good Nd likely deserving

Far more acceptable than a top 25.

But then....everybody gets a trophy these days.
I liked the early years of the BCS, they ranked a top 15 and only more than that if a major conference leader didn’t crack the top 15. I think a top 15 is good, even 20 wasn’t bad. But then again, going to a bowl game was also reserved for only good teams with winning records.

Sagarin's computer is much more realistic having Cuse at #44 (#29 in recent games only). For perspective Pitt is #57 but #35 in recent games. A #13 ranking is unrealistic for Cuse--a function of their favorable schedule.

-Bamas schedule is a joke. Great team that plays no one.

yeahhhh.... they just shut out the #3 team in the country, and will have to go through another for the SEC championship then 2 in the playoffs again.

I think 90% of Pitt fans would love to see Indiana... or Illinois, or Rutgers, or any number of bad P5 teams

yeahhhh.... they just shut out the #3 team in the country, and will have to go through another for the SEC championship then 2 in the playoffs again.

I think 90% of Pitt fans would love to see Indiana... or Illinois, or Rutgers, or any number of bad P5 teams

-Agree. We should play Rutgers instead of Top 5 teams in the country. Schedule Rutgers yearly. Instead of playing the hardest schedule of all time yearly, Play the Bama schedule Pitt would be 11-1 or 10-2 yearly.

Reactions: President Stache
-Agree. We should play Rutgers instead of Top 5 teams in the country. Schedule Rutgers yearly. Instead of playing the hardest schedule of all time yearly, Play the Bama schedule Pitt would be 11-1 or 10-2 yearly.
Yep, if Pitt played a kickoff game and the SEC West, Pitt would only lose 1 or 2 games. You are the dumbest person to ever post on this site. I bet Pitt ends up playing 16 ranked teams this year. It is just insane.

OK, thought you were saying something else before.

I totally get being upset with 30K every game and playing Indiana and Rice isnt going to move that needle... but I have to think that WILL move that needle is being 10-2 and ranked #10 or having a chance to make a playoff.

No it wouldn’t.

The stakes are the same for this game as it would be with a worse out of conference schedule.

A Pitt team ranked in the top 15 will draw much better than an unranked team. Like everywhere else, yinzers are sheep and perception is what sells tickets.

And fewer people would have shown up for the earlier games.
It’s a wash.

34k showed up for Georgia tech
37k for cuse
Same for duke

All those games mattered

68,400 for penn state
Which variable mattered ?

Again, this is flawed thinking. If Pitt finished the year in the top 15 and have preseason hype; they will sell more tickets even for non named schools.

It's a cycle that either elevated every aspect of your program if you schedule easy or it is cycle that will continually hold back all aspects of your program if you schedule hard.

Last edited:
A Pitt team ranked in the top 15 will draw much better than an unranked team. Like everywhere else, yinzers are sheep and perception is what sells tickets.

Again, this is flawed thinking. If Pitt finished the year in the top 15 and have preseason hype; they will sell more tickets even for non named schools.

It's a cycle that either elevated every aspect of your program if you schedule easy or it is cycle that will continually hold back all aspects of your program if you schedule hard.
It’s not flawed
It’s realiry

I think most people on this board have been saying this for years and years. 100% agree also and how big of a difference would that make and perception in recruiting and fan behavior in fan turn out? It would help in all those areas and really the only gain is typically one game that is sold out per year
Exactly its not about just being ranked and getting the wins. The wins and being ranked lead to higher recruiting classes. The higher recruiting classes lead to more wins and you get a snow ball effect. Short term attendance probably does take a hit, but it would see a bigger bump with consistent top 25 finishes. Like most things the admin have been short sighted and have preferred to take the 5k bump in attendance by scheduling OK ST instead of kansas or akron, rather than build the program by consistent winning. I would love to see a schedule of indiana,akron, YSU and kent st. Or schedule a power house and 3 cream puff's.

Reactions: President Stache
I’m softening a bit on my stance with scheduling hard. Not going where you guys are but somewhere in middle. Got to find that balance between easy and entertaining.
The time to step up the schedule is after 5 or 6 years of averaging 9 wins or more. then in theory the roster would look more like a top 25 roster than a top 50 one. And the 9 wins a year average isn't that far fetched. If they scheduled soft PN wins 9 or 10 each of his first two season's and gets a bowl game last year. This year is 6-3 or 7-2 with the potential to get to 9 or 10 again.

The demand for Pitt games is the demand .
10k people aren’t going to suddenly buy tickets because we beat a couple soup cans in September.

Curious. Assume Pitt wins the Coastal and the ACC championship game. Do you think the demand for Season Tickets next year would be the same if the team went 9-4 or went 11-2?

LOL at Pitt playing 7 ranked teams per year when Alabama plays 1 ranked team per year.

-Sorry Bama fans, you cant pump Texas A&M anymore, they have the same amount of losses as Pitt. At least Pitt beat 1 ranked team. Texas A&M is a complete fraud

-Syracuse is a far superior football team then Pitt because they are smarter. Non Conference Power schedule U aka Pitt is fighting to reach a bowl game while another team, aka Syracuse, is about to reach Top 10 Nationally Ranked.
Go back 8 to 10 years and look at SU's OOC schedule it was the same as Pitt's this season. I guess SU finally figured out that playing a murder's row OOC isn't worth the 20k extra tickets sold(short term as long term your team actually winning will draw more anyhow)

M
Curious. Assume Pitt wins the Coastal and the ACC championship game. Do you think the demand for Season Tickets next year would be the same if the team went 9-4 or went 11-2?
i don’t think the demand increases-
It would take years of sustained winning to bend the demand curve .

There will be plenty of seats available, and yes the attendance for non-marquee games will remain at its average.

I used to be in the “games against good teams” camp. However, based on how college football now works, I want wins.
thats how its always worked. Most programs are built on scheduling soft. Win a bunch of games every year for 20 years and you will end up with a good fanbase, because people want to support a winner. Then you have good attendance, good recruiting and more money to keep the coaches. Eventually you can step up the schedule a bit. But really if your in a top conference there is no need to ever schedule more than one good OOC team.

But if Pitt is 7-2 now with a chance to win the coastal, the attendanc would be much better than what it will probably this weekend when you need it more.
Exactly. People want to support a winner. Also guess what happens when you win 9 or 10 games a year the kids in school leave being fans of the program. If you go 6-6 you might get %10 of the class that wants to come back and support the program. Win 10 games and those students will grow to become boosters and fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT