ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting Mississippi State so you don't have to

UPitt '89

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2002
I'm currently watching Mississippi State's game last Thursday against Florida on ESPN+. They won this game 69-68 in OT. Not bothering with their 72-49 loss on Friday to Alabama, won't learn anything from that.

Comments on key players:

- Tolu Smith (#1) = Armando Bacot, especially offensively. Fede is going to have to be ready.

- Dashawn Davis (#10) is a fast guard with quick hands who forces turnovers. Cummings will have to be very conscious of protecting the ball.

- Shakeel Moore (#5) is a left-handed guard who takes a lot of jumpers, but has a strange jerky shot. Not a good percentage, and we should let him take threes. He runs very streaky. Started the game very hot. He reminds me a little of Xavier Johnson to be honest, wants to drive the hoop and get to the line. Make him shoot from outside.

- Will McNair (#13) is a tough forward/center. Thick body and great rebounder. Also 6'11". Basically backs up Smith. This guy worries me almost as much as Tolu Smith. The good news is that don't ever seem to put Smith and McNair in the game at the same time.

- DJ Jeffries (#0) is a thick 6'7" forward that is a great rebounder. Blake really has to concentrate on boxing this guy out.

General observations:

- They play exclusively man-to-man. At least they did against Florida.

- They *HUSTLE*. They go for every loose ball with abandon. They work really hard.

- Their starting guards are 6'1" and 6'2". Greg should be able to get off a lot of clean looks if we don't turn it over.

- They had 18 offensive rebounds against Florida. They live off of put-backs.

- They are a poor FT shooting team. If we need to foul late to come back, there are many good options. Smith averages 57% and he gets to the line a LOT. Hack-a-Tolu might be a strategy using the twins if we are having trouble denying him the ball. And BOX HIM OUT on free throws, because I saw him get an offensive rebound on a few of his own misses.

- They had a 14-point late first-half lead on Florida, but Florida chipped away at it by forcing 20 turnovers in the game. MSST forces a lot of turnovers, but they commit a lot too. This could be a game where Nike Sibande gets a few steals.

I like our chances. I don't think any of their guards could handle a guy like Burton. The FT line jumper will be there for Burton all game.

I'm currently watching Mississippi State's game last Thursday against Florida on ESPN+. They won this game 69-68 in OT. Not bothering with their 72-49 loss on Friday to Alabama, won't learn anything from that.

Comments on key players:

- Tolu Smith (#1) = Armando Bacot, especially offensively. Fede is going to have to be ready.

- Dashawn Davis (#10) is a fast guard with quick hands who forces turnovers. Cummings will have to be very conscious of protecting the ball.

- Shakeel Moore (#5) is a left-handed guard who takes a lot of jumpers, but has a strange jerky shot. Not a good percentage, and we should let him take threes. He runs very streaky. Started the game very hot. He reminds me a little of Xavier Johnson to be honest, wants to drive the hoop and get to the line. Make him shoot from outside.

- Will McNair (#13) is a tough forward/center. Thick body and great rebounder. Also 6'11". Basically backs up Smith. This guy worries me almost as much as Tolu Smith. The good news is that don't ever seem to put Smith and McNair in the game at the same time.

- DJ Jeffries (#0) is a thick 6'7" forward that is a great rebounder. Blake really has to concentrate on boxing this guy out.

General observations:

- They *HUSTLE*. They go for every loose ball with abandon. They work really hard.

- Their starting guards are 6'1" and 6'2". Greg should be able to get off a lot of clean looks if we don't turn it over.

- They are a poor FT shooting team. If we need to foul late to come back, there are many good options. Smith averages 57% and he gets to the line a LOT. Hack-a-Tolu might be a strategy using the twins if we are having trouble denying him the ball. And BOX HIM OUT on free throws, because I saw him get an offensive rebound on a few of his own misses.

- They had a 14-point late first-half lead on Florida, but Florida chipped away at it by forcing 20 turnovers in the game. MSST forces a lot of turnovers, but they commit a lot too. This could be a game where Nike Sibande gets a few steals.

I like our chances. I don't think any of their guards could handle a guy like Burton. The FT line jumper will be there for Burton all game.

I worry about Fede getting in foul trouble

Reactions: Cavalier Panther

Comments on key players:

General observations:

Thanks for the report. Like our chances as well so long as we play to our capabilities.

There was a stretch in the game where Mississippi State had a 31-17 lead..... that became a 39-42 deficit after a 25-8 run by Florida.

And Florida did it by getting turnovers and hitting threes in transition. Florida was only 8-for-35 from three for the game... but during this stretch they hit 5-of-8.

Should we play zone against them since they can't shoot or would that make the offensive rebound issue even worse?

Reactions: PittMan 72
Fairly succinct analysis from Action Network:

In the era of pace and space, it’s actually a little impressive that Mississippi State made the Big Dance while playing at the 334th-ranked tempo in college basketball and shooting the worst 3-point percentage of any team in the nation. That’s right, the absolute worst. Not among power conference or in the SEC, the Bulldogs hit just 26.6% from deep and still found a way to generate enough offense to succeed.

A lot of that came on the back of Tolu Smith. The big man in the middle gobbled up all of those missed 3s, ranking in the top 25 nationally in offensive rebounding rate. The Bulldogs, as a team ,were 15th in the nation in that stat. Basically, Chris Jans had his guys chucking the ball up and banking on second-chance looks.

That could work against the Panthers, who ranked 12th in the ACC in cleaning the defensive glass. If Pitt can survive in the rebounding battle, the Panthers should score on Mississippi State and advance. But that’s a lot easier said than done.

Comments on key players:

General observations:

Was Tolu doubled at all?

Didn't look like it. Florida played him straight up and let him "have his". And he did. Scored 28.
That's what I'm wondering about.
Does doubling him help Fede not foul?

I dunno. Tolo is a smooth operator down there.

Fairly succinct analysis from Action Network:

In the era of pace and space, it’s actually a little impressive that Mississippi State made the Big Dance while playing at the 334th-ranked tempo in college basketball and shooting the worst 3-point percentage of any team in the nation. That’s right, the absolute worst. Not among power conference or in the SEC, the Bulldogs hit just 26.6% from deep and still found a way to generate enough offense to succeed.

A lot of that came on the back of Tolu Smith. The big man in the middle gobbled up all of those missed 3s, ranking in the top 25 nationally in offensive rebounding rate. The Bulldogs, as a team ,were 15th in the nation in that stat. Basically, Chris Jans had his guys chucking the ball up and banking on second-chance looks.

That could work against the Panthers, who ranked 12th in the ACC in cleaning the defensive glass. If Pitt can survive in the rebounding battle, the Panthers should score on Mississippi State and advance. But that’s a lot easier said than done.

Their offense seems to be: miss shots and get putbacks. Sorta like Dixon days.

Reactions: Drew1208
That's what I'm wondering about.
Does doubling him help Fede not foul?

I dunno. Tolo is a smooth operator down there.
He scored 28..... and that was while going 10-for-17 from the FT line. If we have the fouls to give, I don't mind the "hack-a-Tolu" strategy.

Reactions: Drew1208
If fede can't play tomorrow I think I would consider playing zone against them.

If fede can't play tomorrow I think I would consider playing zone against them.
Then you are conceding 25-30 offensive rebounds to MSST.

You think the twins are going to be able to get position in a zone defense to get MSST's misses?

Reactions: jctrack
Then you are conceding 25-30 offensive rebounds to MSST.

You think the twins are going to be able to get position in a zone defense to get MSST's misses?
Not sure. MISS probably gets that playing man but I see the twins fouling out if they try to body their bigs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT