ADVERTISEMENT

Edit: narduzzi issues statement

ratking17

Head Coach
Mar 15, 2009
Ok. A few points from my perspective.

1. I dont think athletes should be pressured to make political statements just because everyone else is. What evander Kane did to Crosby the other day is dumb.

2. While calling attention to important social issues on social media is important, simply making your profile pic all black does nothing if your political and social behavior does not back that up.

So what I will say about narduzzi is going to break both of those rules.

Where is his statement today? What is taking so long? He is losing a social media narrative right now. And yes...its only social media, but in today's climate, he might just want to do something about it. Capel has been very outspoken for a week now. Practically every head coach at Pitt has commented. Beatty, Harley, Partridge have all commented. Hell our womens lax coach that doesnt even have a team has commented. Add this perhaps silly story about former players ripping him and this is just going to get more messy. It doesnt help that the Pittsburgh media beat writers are already making this a big deal. I just worry about the PR. I hope by the time I finish this, he has posted something.

Just my thoughts on a potential PR nightmare that Pitt doesnt need right now.

Reactions: maxwell#1
he doesnt have to say anything its as simple as that,who cares about social media,all he needs to do is let his players and staff know he has his back i could care less what he says on social media, thats like expecting nick saban to come on and say something

So if all of the pitt coaches say something and the head football doesn't, you dont think that will have negative consequences?

Narduzzi is in a tough spot right now because of the comments from some former players. If he says something, there will be some that go directly to those quotes and call him out for being a hypocrite. If he stays silent, he'll be called out because the rest of the coaches have made comments. If he is going to acknowledge the concerns of the former players, it'll be a different type of statement that isn't appropriate for today and should involve sitting down with his players and figuring things out together.

If you need to hear a Football coach, basketball coach, actor, actress or any public figure speak/tweet to know something is wrong then you are an idiot. Can ppl think for themselves these days? Or do they have to wait for their favorite celebrity to tweet to know what to think? I don’t know how some of you survived without social media.

Lots of sheep out there who can't think for themselves and look to others for guidance. Should Coach Capel send out his stock pick of the week today?

If you need to hear a Football coach, basketball coach, actor, actress or any public figure speak/tweet to know something is wrong then you are an idiot. Can ppl think for themselves these days? Or do they have to wait for their favorite celebrity to tweet to know what to think? I don’t know how some of you survived without social media.

Reactions: Burgh9950 and 4upmc

It's not because he has an obligation to speak out, it's because he's being crucified right now. How can you care about the program and not want him to respond?

He talks to his players, recruits, and staff. How about , well, the President of the United States. Oh, he did speak and I'm sure some would love for Pat to echo the king's words.

It's not because he has an obligation to speak out, it's because he's being crucified right now. How can you care about the program and not want him to respond?

Burgg15 explained it well in the post below. If he says something now ppl will bash him just as if he’s doesn’t say anything. Nick Saban posted an MLK quote as did PN. Saban has current and former players who hate him like any coach but the difference between him an PN is winning.

The best thing he can do is sit down and have discussions with his team. But that doesn’t fit the narrative for some because it’s not posted on social media. Therefore maybe hold a press conference with the media make a statement and take questions.

Narduzzi is in a tough spot right now because of the comments from some former players. If he says something, there will be some that go directly to those quotes and call him out for being a hypocrite. If he stays silent, he'll be called out because the rest of the coaches have made comments. If he is going to acknowledge the concerns of the former players, it'll be a different type of statement that isn't appropriate for today and should involve sitting down with his players and figuring things out together.

Reactions: Burgh15
He should have released a statement hours ago. If he's not doing that because he's stubborn, well that attitude just isn't going to fly right now. The whole country is on edge and if your reputation is being challenged by ex players or not, you need to stand tall and defend yourself if it isn't true. Not impressed at all by the silence and he better hope that the silence will not come back to bite him.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Burgg15 explained it well in the post below. If he says something now ppl will bash him just as if he’s doesn’t say anything. Nick Saban posted an MLK quote as did PN. Saban has current and former players who hate him like any coach but the difference between him an PN is winning.

The best thing he can do is sit down and have discussions with his team. But that doesn’t fit the narrative for some because it’s not posted on social media. Therefore maybe hold a press conference with the media make a statement and take questions.

He needs to address the allegations, period. Staying silent will imply guilt to a lot of people.

I don't care if he made a statement about George Floyd or not. He's being called out all over the place and he must now respond.

Also of note is that the Pitt Student Athlete Advisory Committee is having a meeting on Thursday. Lyke and Gallagher will be on the call. I’m sure some of the allegations will be addressed.

Yeah, nothing to see here. Let's all keep our heads buried in the sand or cover our ears an stomp our feet until this goes away.

Meanwhile, back on earth, you're watching the not so slow demise of Pitt football.

It was either Weaver or Wheeler said Narduzzi already reached out to him and others to make sure they were all right. So no one on here knows what he has or hasn't done.

Actually no, he doesn't. He'd be responding to people all day, every day if there was a requirement to answer people.
Yeah, that's it. Or he just needs to address former players being supported by current players calling him a racist in the middle of the greatest civil unrest in a generation.

What's the big deal anyway? Say you're sorry if you offended anyone and that was never your intention and that you'll try harder. OMG the horror. By saying nothing, you let the other people control the narrative. Is that really what you want as a Pitt fan? Duh.

Reactions: cease10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT