ADVERTISEMENT

Eerily similar to 2010

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
- 1st World Cup on the continent/sub-continent

- drew England and lower-tier Euro opponent in 1st 2 games

- need to beat, not draw Arab country to get through

I remember taking a long lunch during that Algeria game and watching the game on ESPN3 or whatever it was called at the time in some computer lab as I was going for my master's at the time....or maybe I was done but still had the login.

Strange thing is, going back awhile, every time the WC has been in Europe, they haven't gotten through. Every time it hasnt been in Europe, they have.

- 1st World Cup on the continent/sub-continent

- drew England and lower-tier Euro opponent in 1st 2 games

- need to beat, not draw Arab country to get through

I remember taking a long lunch during that Algeria game and watching the game on ESPN3 or whatever it was called at the time in some computer lab as I was going for my master's at the time....or maybe I was done but still had the login.

Strange thing is, going back awhile, every time the WC has been in Europe, they haven't gotten through. Every time it hasnt been in Europe, they have.

The difference between then and now is the situation the opponent is in. Iran knows that if they get a draw they are through, and they are going to play that way. Back in 2010 Algeria was in 4th in the group, but with a win and either a Slovena win over England or a draw in that match Algeria would go through in second place (and a chance with an England win and turning around the goal difference). And yet Algeria played that game as if it was more important to them to stop the US from winning, and therefore advancing, than it was for them to try to win the game and advance themselves. They spent the whole game bunkered back defending as if a draw was going to get them anything more than a tie for 3rd.

Hail to Concacaf!! Costa Rica wins, beats Japan 1-0.

Canada is really in a tough bracket. Tough game today. They certainly need a win but a result in the very least.

I swear to God, if the US doesn’t win a game in the World Cup Finals and Costa Rica does…

SMF, this subject has you written all over it. I expect a ratings report when they come out.

What a pass by Ziyech! Another chelsea player who deserves more minutes than he gets. He’s behind Pulisic in the pecking order so as you could imagine his minutes are scarce. He might be gone in January.

Morocco 2-0 over Belgium.

Another middle eastern/African country getting things done in Qatar. With players like Hakimi and Ziyech at the top of their roster, you can’t discount them. Ever.

This might be the toughest group.

Belgium still playing like it’s scrimmage with zero urgency. Every ball is sideways and backwards and everything is slow and slower and slower. Not a single show of urgency or desire to push the pace.

Canucks out.
Disappointed for them. I know it’s sac-reli, but I’ve been pulling for them and Mexico.

I’ll say it again, if we don’t win and advance, it will be a real gut punch not to win a match, and for Costa Rica to have won.

Disappointed for them. I know it’s sac-reli, but I’ve been pulling for them and Mexico.

I've rooted for Mexico at the World Cup ever since I had to go down there for work years ago. Those folks down there just love their team, and it was hard to want something that would make some really good people feel bad for something that at the end of the day didn't mean that much to me.

It was fun going down there though shortly after the US beat Mexico in a tournament or qualifier or whatever, so I could say "hey, did you guys watch that game last week?"

What a pass by Ziyech! Another chelsea player who deserves more minutes than he gets. He’s behind Pulisic in the pecking order so as you could imagine his minutes are scarce. He might be gone in January.

Morocco 2-0 over Belgium.

Another middle eastern/African country getting things done in Qatar. With players like Hakimi and Ziyech at the top of their roster, you can’t discount them. Ever.

This might be the toughest group.

And then there’s Kai Havertz…Germany played Spain for their World Cup lives today., and Havertz was selected to the bench. Instead of Kai being subbed in late in the game, Flick went with a career curtain jerker who scored the game tying goal. In other words, the chips were down and Flick snubbed Kai.

Hopefully Potter’s eyes have been opened to some things in this World Cup. But rumor today is that Arsenal, Man United and New Castle are looking at Pulisic for a January transfer. New Castle has been my 2nd team because of my fondness of northeast England. So I’d be cool with that.

FilDnblXgAYvpy-

Last edited:
And then there’s Kai Havertz…Germany played Spain for their World Cup lives today., and Havertz was selected to the bench. Instead of Kai being subbed in late in the game, Flick went with a career curtain jerker who scored the game tying goal. In other words, the chips were down and Flick snubbed Kai.

Hopefully Potter’s eyes have been opened to some things in this World Cup. But rumor today is that Arsenal, Man United and New Castle are looking at Pulisic for a January transfer. New Castle has been my 2nd team because of my fondness of northeast England. So I’d be cool with that.
Good golly, I'd hate for him to go to Manchester United.

I just read on espnfc about Man U being interested in a loan and that Chelsea would be open to letting him go.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
So does the US have to beat Iran to advance? Or will a tie allow them to advance too? Thanks.

So does the US have to beat Iran to advance? Or will a tie allow them to advance too? Thanks.
They have to win. It’s a a shame because in this sport when one needs a tie (Iran) and the other needs a win, the team that needs the win (USA) will have a big challenge in from of them.

I read somewhere that if we win and Poland gets a result vs Argentina, we may draw Netherlands in the 1st knockout and then potential teams like Saudi Arabia, Denmark, Australia after that for a right to go to the semifinal.

Reactions: Chaos
The question is does Iran bunker down and play for a draw or do they jump out on the front foot like they did against Wales. We will find out in 24 hours.

It's such a wild situation. You know the team is unified with themselves, but not really unified with the government. Not much pride in being from Iran but pride in being Iranian.

On a different note, will US Soccer removing that part of the Iranian flag play any part in any motivation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT