ADVERTISEMENT

Eric MacLain adamant that CV got the 1st down

Yep. What it came down to was the refs and the ACC knew it was not correct, and they wanted it to BE incorrect, so hell or high water there was going to be no review. They aren’t blatantly fixing games … Vegas would never tolerate that … but all over college football, conferences that provide their own officials, give them marching orders of the pecking order of what programs to favor over others. Northern yanks are not going to fare well in a southern conference.

Every crew should be independently provided, with a decidedly mixed geographical background, and carefully scrutinized (again, by a separate independent body) for quality and integrity. Egregious errors like today should get a crew disciplined and it’s chief demoted or fired.

And the team shouldn’t have the burden to initiate this (so that other refs can’t retaliate against the team in future games), but automatically occur after every game.

Expensive? Heck yes. But this is a multi billion dollar industry, and it’s integrity is being left on the hands of thieves and/or morons.

Getting back to Vegas, forget how mere fans feel about all this; it’s very hard to believe gambling houses tolerate the sad state of college football officiating. How can anyone be confident in betting on college football knowing how dishonest it’s officiating and how results can be so arbitrarily altered?

Hate to suggest a scorned bettor should put a bullet in the head of a ref who costs him a legit jackpot after such shenanigans … but … I wouldn’t be unorgasmic to hear about it happening either
I was agreeing with everything you were saying until you got to your last paragraph.

Independent officiating crews? - Yes
Automatically initiated reviews of officials? - Yes
Murdering officials over bad calls? - Ummmm...No

Last edited:
I’ve seen betters lose big money because a guy slide down in bounds instead of scoring but now we want to vilify a first year starter for doing what he’s been coached to do since midget ball. SMFH!
I’m not blaming the kid. Im blaming the coaches. They should have told him you don’t slide in this situation And young QBs (or any other players) are not taught to slide…they are taught to go down in bounds. There is a difference now mainly because In the past 10 years there are new rules about players sliding to avoid injury that everyone in todays game is well aware of now. And since Kenny’s fake slide they’ve made them even more strict on where and when the ball is down.

CV actually admitted he should have dove or went out of bounds. But I don’t blame him. I blame the coaching staff for not reminding him. And I was pissed he was thrown under the bus by Narduzzi later about it. It drives It drives me nuts Narduzzi praised his OC for the call and said the kid made a rookie mistake. I like CV I don’t blame him at all. And the coaches shouldn’t have either. It’s the poor in-game bad coaching that lost us yet another very winnable game

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
The take from this has to be that conferences can no longer provide their own officials. Just too much corruption. It’s stunning that gambling houses permit it to persist.

Reactions: 303vND
I bet a fair amount (quantity not $$).

And certainly there are officials biases that exist, especially with home crowds. And while I’m not eliminating the possibility of an occasional bad actor, it’s largely people trying to do their jobs. They just suck at it sometimes.

So no, I don’t think 200 people showed up and executed some script (including one CV would have been in on).

Yeah, it's definitely not scripted, but I undoubtedly think there are certain tendencies these officials tend to succumb to. One of them is playing to the home crowd. You can almost hear the enthusiasm in their voices at times when they make certain calls. They like to be the reason for those cheers.

And then with these conference officials, I think there are certain expectations they feel from their cronies. Hey, maybe they don't all let that influence them; maybe a select few are even so paranoid about portraying that bias that they make calls that go the other way. But you can't tell me it doesn't exist, because I have seen some shit, as they say.

Yeah, it's definitely not scripted, but I undoubtedly think there are certain tendencies these officials tend to succumb to. One of them is playing to the home crowd. You can almost hear the enthusiasm in their voices at times when they make certain calls. They like to be the reason for those cheers.

And then with these conference officials, I think there are certain expectations they feel from their cronies. Hey, maybe they don't all let that influence them; maybe a select few are even so paranoid about portraying that bias that they make calls that go the other way. But you can't tell me it doesn't exist, because I have seen some shit, as they say.
As I said, it’s stunning that Vegas tolerates conferences providing its own refs. Nothing worse for biz than the perception that the games are rigged. It might take a crew being found with bullets in their heads after screwing up a mobster’s bet to finally force the right thing to happen.

For the life of me, I cannot comprehend this. Their insistence that sliding short or near the 1st down marker to keep the clock running rather than continuing to run past the 1st down marker and out of bounds which ends the game is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard on this board.
Except that he didn't slide short or near the first down. He was clearly past it.

The defense did stink when it counted the most.
So 2 plays outrank the other 59+ minutes. Weird grading scale that you have.

And they were missing some key players when it counted.

I’m not blaming the kid. Im blaming the coaches. They should have told him you don’t slide in this situation And young QBs (or any other players) are not taught to slide…they are taught to go down in bounds. There is a difference now mainly because In the past 10 years there are new rules about players sliding to avoid injury that everyone in todays game is well aware of now. And since Kenny’s fake slide they’ve made them even more strict on where and when the ball is down.

CV actually admitted he should have dove or went out of bounds. But I don’t blame him. I blame the coaching staff for not reminding him. And I was pissed he was thrown under the bus by Narduzzi later about it. It drives It drives me nuts Narduzzi praised his OC for the call and said the kid made a rookie mistake. I like CV I don’t blame him at all. And the coaches shouldn’t have either. It’s the poor in-game bad coaching that lost us yet another very winnable game
So they should have called a time out to setup the play and situation. That's a reasonable critique for Monday morning quarterbacking. That's the only way that discussion was going to happen.

Doesn’t matter. Once he decided to slide when he didn’t need to he put it in the hands of the ref. It’s just as bad if not worse then when Miami ran the ball instead of kneeling and fumbled away the game. To slide and not fall forward or run out of bounds is an inexcusable mistake. The coaches should have been telling him when they called the play.
It isnt even close to that.

All Miami had to do was kneel.

CV actually did the right thing, he got the first down and went down. The ref doesnt know what a slide is, so marked the ball in the wrong spot

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT