ADVERTISEMENT

Eric MacLain adamant that CV got the 1st down

Doesn’t matter. Once he decided to slide when he didn’t need to he put it in the hands of the ref. It’s just as bad if not worse then when Miami ran the ball instead of kneeling and fumbled away the game. To slide and not fall forward or run out of bounds is an inexcusable mistake. The coaches should have been telling him when they called the play.

Doesn’t matter. Once he decided to slide when he didn’t need to he put it in the hands of the ref. It’s just as bad if not worse then when Miami ran the ball instead of kneeling and fumbled away the game. To slide and not fall forward or run out of bounds is an inexcusable mistake. The coaches should have been telling him when they called the play.
I think that would be overriding a lot of coaching that tells a QB once you are past the first down marker to slide rather than take a big hit. I do think in this is a case where he could have angled towards running out of bounds beyond the first down marker and still not taken a hit.

That said... What I did like is that Veilleux looked pissed and determined on sideline in shots of him after that call was made. Jurkovec in similar situations looked dispondent and defeated. Maybe I'm reading too much into body language, but Veilleux's "Give me another chance I won't let this happen again." look means a lot to me vs. Jurkovec's "awe jeez, thus is my Homecoming dance and it's raining!" face on the sidelines.

I can see not running out of bounds. They still had 2 timeouts and you are taught not to run oob to keep the clock running.

Maybe get that extra yard befor sliding and not make it so close could be argued.

But still garbage call by the ref.

I can see not running out of bounds. They still had 2 timeouts and you are taught not to run oob to keep the clock running.

Maybe get that extra yard befor sliding and not make it so close could be argued.

But still garbage call by the ref.
I think the coaches HAVE to tell the QB the situation before that play, though. It's a QB run towards the sidelines, it was very likely they would come into play. They have to tell an inexperienced QB that it's okay to go OB there. Tell him to worry about getting the 1st and nothing else and that a 1st down ends the game.

But once again, he was CLEARLY past the marker. It should have been first down, game over.

Pitt put themselves in a bad position, no doubt. But the correct call ends the game in Pitt’s favor….

What kills me is that if he dives head first, there's no one even there to hit him. He should have had zero regard for taking a hard hit with no defenders approaching, which is the only reason you should even consider sliding.

He's been in college 3 years. You just have to be smarter and know that.

Last edited:
Did Pitt need to call a timeout to get it reviewed? If so another terrible mistake. Also why not sneak there if it was 4th and 1? Just end it instead of letting happen what happened

Reactions: FireballZ
Did Pitt need to call a timeout to get it reviewed? If so another terrible mistake. Also why not sneak there if it was 4th and 1? Just end it instead of letting happen what happened
If you use a time out to review the call, at least you have some time to discuss that idea. Junko was horrific today, that absolutely should have factored into potentially going for it. That said, have you seen our short yardage attempts the past few games? I have zero confidence we could have gotten a foot and a half and they don't even attempt QB sneaks for whatever reason.

You probably have to make their 3rd/4th string QB beat you. Problem is our defense checked out because they thought the game was over previously and Narduzzi continued to blitz late in this game when we clearly were getting zero pressure almost every time.

What kills me is that if he dives head first, there's no one even there to hit him. He should have had zero regard for taking a hard hit with no defenders approaching, which is the only reason you should even consider sliding.

He's been in college 3 years. You just have to be smarter and know that.
That's BS. He did EXACTLY the right thing. There's no way he can account for the ref missing the mark by 2 1/2 yards.

That's BS. He did EXACTLY the right thing. There's no way he can account for the ref missing the mark by 2 1/2 yards.
I think he had it, but if you look at the screenshots, it was close, at best. Definitely nowhere near 2.5 yards.

A lot of you guys would blame the six year olds for Sandusky raping them.

Pitt stunk and it was an awful performance for the whole game long. You should never need to rely on the refs’ presumed integrity (which everyone knows by now is a very flawed presumption especially in the ACC) against such a bad team.

Veilleux did nothing wrong on that play though.

I don't GAF if he was a yard short... the fact that there wasn't a defender in the same zip code should have made it a don't ask don't tell "double play within the ballpark of the bag" situation. The fact that Clawson was brought to tears after that "win" means he has shoved at least one vegetable up his own anus this past week and enjoyed it tremendously.

A lot of you guys would blame the six year olds for Sandusky raping them.

Pitt stunk and it was an awful performance for the whole game long. You should never need to rely on the refs’ presumed integrity (which everyone knows by now is a very flawed presumption especially in the ACC) against such a bad team.

Veilleux did nothing wrong on that play though.
Pitt didn't stink. Its defense certainly didn't stink. The only thing that stank was the OL. I've said for several years that Borbely needs to go.

Can't believe that you forced me to watch that again already!

Clearly not 2.5 yards. He made it closer than it needed to be, which is really the end of the story. Not sure they would have even overturned that, although you absolutely MUST challenge it. It's a challenge to win the game. What's there to lose.

If you pause it right before he's at the yellow line, he makes a motion like he's starting to slide. It could be that he's just slowing down as he thinks about the situation and the upcoming slide, but I can understand what the ref might have saw from behind.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
I don't GAF if he was a yard short... the fact that there wasn't a defender in the same zip code should have made it a don't ask don't tell "double play within the ballpark of the bag" situation. The fact that Clawson was brought to tears after that "win" means he has shoved at least one vegetable up his own anus this past week and enjoyed it tremendously.
You are so wrong.

Can't believe that you forced me to watch that again already!

Clearly not 2.5 yards. He made it closer than it needed to be, which is really the end of the story. Not sure they would have even overturned that, although you absolutely MUST challenge it. It's a challenge to win the game. What's there to lose.

If you pause it right before he's at the yellow line, he makes a motion like he's starting to slide. It could be that he's just slowing down as he thinks about the situation and the upcoming slide, but I can understand what the ref might have saw from behind.
Then the ref doesn't know the rule. By rule, he was nearly 1 1/2 yards past the line and the ref marked him 1 yard short. That makes the ref 2 1/2 yards wrong.

Reactions: 303vND
I think the coaches HAVE to tell the QB the situation before that play, though. It's a QB run towards the sidelines, it was very likely they would come into play. They have to tell an inexperienced QB that it's okay to go OB there. Tell him to worry about getting the 1st and nothing else and that a 1st down ends the game.
NO....NO…NO, under no circumstance do you tell him to go out of bounds! Are we becoming brain dead because of a horrible call?

Pitt didn't stink. Its defense certainly didn't stink. The only thing that stank was the OL. I've said for several years that Borbely needs to go.

The defense did stink. 21 points and a dropped touchdown on top of that against a team with an effing linebacker under center and about 20% of its playbook available. A good defense limits them to zero points.

The defense did stink. 21 points and a dropped touchdown on top of that against a team with an effing linebacker under center and about 20% of its playbook available. A good defense limits them to zero points.
Oh, so now we expect a shutout or consider the defense to have failed. Sounds a little ... unreasonable.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Against a team with o-line troubles and effing Shayne Simon playing quarterback? You're damn right I expect a shutout or something close to it.
LOL. You're a goofball.

You do know that we lost our best linebacker on the opening kickoff, right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT