ADVERTISEMENT

Eric MacLain adamant that CV got the 1st down

LOL. You're a goofball.

You do know that we lost our best linebacker on the opening kickoff, right?

You do know I don't give AF, right? That team was a heaping pile of dogs hit. If Bengally Kamara had started at QB for us, then we could talk about my expectations.

No…never when you don’t have to because there’s more than enough grass inbounds. And he had the first down in bounds!
Well, I won't argue with you two. He started his slide at or before the 1st down marker. The ball was in his outside hand. Pause the damn video when the ball is right before the yellow line. It's VERY close. Our idiot coach didn't even challenge it for whatever reason. If he just runs OB then this isn't a discussion and there's zero doubt.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
You do know I don't give AF, right? That team was a heaping pile of dogs hit. If Bengally Kamara had started at QB for us, then we could talk about my expectations.
I do know that you couldn't care less about Pitt or you wouldn't write the things you write.

Reactions: 4upmc
The defense did stink. 21 points and a dropped touchdown on top of that against a team with an effing linebacker under center and about 20% of its playbook available. A good defense limits them to zero points.
It definitely stunk when it really mattered.
Wake moved way too easily at the end. And there was zero QB pressure for much of the game, particularly the final possessions.

It is well and good to play ok or even well some of the game, maybe even most of the game, but when you collapse with everything on the line, you didn’t play well

Well, I won't argue with you two. He started his slide at or before the 1st down marker. The ball was in his outside hand. Pause the damn video when the ball is right before the yellow line. It's VERY close. Our idiot coach didn't even challenge it for whatever reason. If he just runs OB then this isn't a discussion and there's zero doubt.
Where was the ball when his first body part hit the ground? Starting his slide is an irrelevant thing.

It definitely stunk when it really mattered.
Wake moved way too easily at the end. And there was zero QB pressure for much of the game, particularly the final possessions.

It is well and good to play ok or even well some of the game, maybe even most of the game, but when you collapse with everything on the line, you didn’t play well
LOL

This he should have gone out of bounds is fascinating to me. In the annals of late game football the doctrine has always been STAY IN BOUNDS! Now we have one of the worst calls in college football history and we’re criticizing a guy for staying in bounds. Head scratcher. So let me ask this question, if CV does the same thing in the middle of the field, then what do you say….he should have dove?

Reactions: NCPitt
A f_ing disgrace. Those refs should be fired.
Not even a review of the play? Why not? Officials spend more time reviewing plays that don't need reviewed than they did on this play.
Could these officials be involved in fixing games? I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but there have been way too many calls not called properly. If instant replay was not used, then I would have no problem, but replay is supposed to be used to correct a wrong call.

Reactions: pittmeister
This he should have gone out of bounds is fascinating to me. In the annals of late game football the doctrine has always been STAY IN BOUNDS! Now we have one of the worst calls in college football history and we’re criticizing a guy for staying in bounds. Head scratcher. So let me ask this question, if CV does the same thing in the middle of the field, then what do you say….he should have dove?
Veilleux did nothing wrong. Runners all though football have it ingrained to go down in the manner he did in similar situations. In similar situations, the refs don’t blatantly F the call, whether on purpose or incompetence.

Reactions: 303vND
There are two different issues. Pitt’s performance and the refs performance. Both were terrible.

What’s done is done. The focus should be how does Pitt get better. This season is over.

The concentration should be playing as many underclass men as possible.

After the ND game, any freshman that hasn’t played this year should play the last 4 games and still preserve their red shirts.

Seniors such as Jules should play sparingly.

Reactions: FireballZ
Veilleux did nothing wrong. Runners all though football have it ingrained to go down in the manner he did in similar situations. In similar situations, the refs don’t blatantly F the call, whether on purpose or incompetence.
EXACTLY!

“LOL” = “I can’t counter those irrefutable facts so I’ll say something childish in concession of defeat “
Let me put it this way. If the ref gets the call right, the defense played a great game. But you believe that the last drive, when Pitt was missing key players, turns the entire game performance into "they stank".

That's why I LOLed.

Let me put it this way. If the ref gets the call right, the defense played a great game. But you believe that the last drive, when Pitt was missing key players, turns the entire game performance into "they stank".

That's why I LOLed.

Narduzzi isn't to blame. Cignetti isn't to blame. Defense played great. Refs called 'er right down the middle.

We get it, you contrarian Russian bot.

Not even a review of the play? Why not? Officials spend more time reviewing plays that don't need reviewed than they did on this play.
Could these officials be involved in fixing games? I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but there have been way too many calls not called properly. If instant replay was not used, then I would have no problem, but replay is supposed to be used to correct a wrong call.
Yep. What it came down to was the refs and the ACC knew it was not correct, and they wanted it to BE incorrect, so hell or high water there was going to be no review. They aren’t blatantly fixing games … Vegas would never tolerate that … but all over college football, conferences that provide their own officials, give them marching orders of the pecking order of what programs to favor over others. Northern yanks are not going to fare well in a southern conference.

Every crew should be independently provided, with a decidedly mixed geographical background, and carefully scrutinized (again, by a separate independent body) for quality and integrity. Egregious errors like today should get a crew disciplined and it’s chief demoted or fired.

And the team shouldn’t have the burden to initiate this (so that other refs can’t retaliate against the team in future games), but automatically occur after every game.

Expensive? Heck yes. But this is a multi billion dollar industry, and it’s integrity is being left on the hands of thieves and/or morons.

Getting back to Vegas, forget how mere fans feel about all this; it’s very hard to believe gambling houses tolerate the sad state of college football officiating. How can anyone be confident in betting on college football knowing how dishonest it’s officiating and how results can be so arbitrarily altered?

Hate to suggest a scorned bettor should put a bullet in the head of a ref who costs him a legit jackpot after such shenanigans … but … I wouldn’t be unorgasmic to hear about it happening either

NO....NO…NO, under no circumstance do you tell him to go out of bounds! Are we becoming brain dead because of a horrible call?
Run out of bounds you have a first down with 40 seconds left and the opponent just 2 timeouts. Game over with three kneels.

Situational awareness

Apparently the same thing happened in the Florida State game, the FSU QB started his slide almost 1 yard behind the yellow line and was given the 1st down.

After looking at the pictures I realized 1 team was 2-4 and the other is 6-0. I guess if we were 6-0 we may have gotten the call right.

I just re-watched the play and the official who spotted the ball was 7 yards away from CV. I really have to wonder what he was looking at.

Yes. At the very least he should have dove. He’s not Aaron Rodgers about to get blown up by a linebacker on meaningless play. You don’t slide when no one is near you. And staying in bounds is irrelevant once you have the ability to run the clock out with the new set of downs

Where was the ball when his first body part hit the ground? Starting his slide is an irrelevant thing.

You do see these spotted at the beginning of the slide. My issue is the inconsistency at what constitutes the beginning. He took a couple stutter steps before really plopping down. They marked it right when those stutter steps started.

Apparently the same thing happened in the Florida State game, the FSU QB started his slide almost 1 yard behind the yellow line and was given the 1st down.

After looking at the pictures I realized 1 team was 2-4 and the other is 6-0. I guess if we were 6-0 we may have gotten the call right.

Just another reason to quit watching this garbage. It's all fake and the outcomes are pre-determined.

Reactions: pierre93
Run out of bounds you have a first down with 40 seconds left and the opponent just 2 timeouts. Game over with three kneels.

Situational awareness

I don’t blame him for that. Play started with 50ish seconds and two time outs, so it wasn’t a slam dunk game over with a first down.

ultimately a 3 kneel downs taking a couple extra seconds would have done it

Reactions: Pitt8189
Well Vegas and Atlantic City are in it to make $$$$. People who don't bet have no idea and are clueless. It's a big business

I bet a fair amount (quantity not $$).

And certainly there are officials biases that exist, especially with home crowds. And while I’m not eliminating the possibility of an occasional bad actor, it’s largely people trying to do their jobs. They just suck at it sometimes.

So no, I don’t think 200 people showed up and executed some script (including one CV would have been in on).

I bet a fair amount (quantity not $$).

And certainly there are officials biases that exist, especially with home crowds. And while I’m not eliminating the possibility of an occasional bad actor, it’s largely people trying to do their jobs. They just suck at it sometimes.

So no, I don’t think 200 people showed up and executed some script (including one CV would have been in on).
Just some key refs and players. The NFL is really bad

Reactions: bschulter
Yep. What it came down to was the refs and the ACC knew it was not correct, and they wanted it to BE incorrect, so hell or high water there was going to be no review. They aren’t blatantly fixing games … Vegas would never tolerate that … but all over college football, conferences that provide their own officials, give them marching orders of the pecking order of what programs to favor over others. Northern yanks are not going to fare well in a southern conference.

Every crew should be independently provided, with a decidedly mixed geographical background, and carefully scrutinized (again, by a separate independent body) for quality and integrity. Egregious errors like today should get a crew disciplined and it’s chief demoted or fired.

And the team shouldn’t have the burden to initiate this (so that other refs can’t retaliate against the team in future games), but automatically occur after every game.

Expensive? Heck yes. But this is a multi billion dollar industry, and it’s integrity is being left on the hands of thieves and/or morons.

Getting back to Vegas, forget how mere fans feel about all this; it’s very hard to believe gambling houses tolerate the sad state of college football officiating. How can anyone be confident in betting on college football knowing how dishonest it’s officiating and how results can be so arbitrarily altered?

Hate to suggest a scorned bettor should put a bullet in the head of a ref who costs him a legit jackpot after such shenanigans … but … I wouldn’t be unorgasmic to hear about it happening either
Nice conspiracy theory.

You do see these spotted at the beginning of the slide. My issue is the inconsistency at what constitutes the beginning. He took a couple stutter steps before really plopping down. They marked it right when those stutter steps started.
Then those refs don't know the rules.

• Haha
Yes. At the very least he should have dove. He’s not Aaron Rodgers about to get blown up by a linebacker on meaningless play. You don’t slide when no one is near you. And staying in bounds is irrelevant once you have the ability to run the clock out with the new set of downs
I’ve seen betters lose big money because a guy slide down in bounds instead of scoring but now we want to vilify a first year starter for doing what he’s been coached to do since midget ball. SMFH!

I’ve seen betters lose big money because a guy slide down in bounds instead of scoring but now we want to vilify a first year starter for doing what he’s been coached to do since midget ball. SMFH!
Definitely not upset at a kid making just his second start, I just hope he learns from this.

On a separate issue, ACC officials are corrupt and will cheat in favor of the “original” ACC schools and against Pitt, we all have seen this the past decade. This is a serious issue and will remain so as long as PITT is in the ACC

I believe the heads of the conferences let the refs know who they want to win, in conference games

I don’t blame him for that. Play started with 50ish seconds and two time outs, so it wasn’t a slam dunk game over with a first down.

Yeah, it was. The play ended with 45 seconds on the clock. Let's assume that even if he took another couple of steps and went out of bounds that it was still at 45. Pitt takes a knee, and it takes, let's say two seconds to be on the conservative side, and that a timeout is immediately given. 43 seconds, second down. Then you take another two seconds and Wake calls their last timeout. 41 seconds, third down. Two more seconds come off the clock on third down, and now there are only 39 seconds left and Wake doesn't have any timeouts.

Yeah, it was. The play ended with 45 seconds on the clock. Let's assume that even if he took another couple of steps and went out of bounds that it was still at 45. Pitt takes a knee, and it takes, let's say two seconds to be on the conservative side, and that a timeout is immediately given. 43 seconds, second down. Then you take another two seconds and Wake calls their last timeout. 41 seconds, third down. Two more seconds come off the clock on third down, and now there are only 39 seconds left and Wake doesn't have any timeouts.
It's crazy to me that there are two posters tonight that have posted 20+ times each that sliding was the right move in the situation instead of getting the 1st beyond the sticks OB or just falling over with no one around him.

Brutal loss, especially for us with money on it to boot!

It's crazy to me that there are two posters tonight that have posted 20+ times each that sliding was the right move in the situation instead of getting the 1st beyond the sticks OB or just falling over with no one around him.

Brutal loss, especially for us with money on it to boot!

For the life of me, I cannot comprehend this. Their insistence that sliding short or near the 1st down marker to keep the clock running rather than continuing to run past the 1st down marker and out of bounds which ends the game is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard on this board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT