ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN+.....are we going to have to fork over $$$ to see pitt?

ratking17

Head Coach
Mar 15, 2009
SMF....you probably follow....

But does anyone know if the ACC network games are going to regulated here and force people to pay more for ESPN?

From what I understand the ESPN watch app will still exist, but I hope the ACC network games stay here, especially for OCC basketball games.

It's going to be like the article says. It's an add-on for what you don't get via cable or the watchespn app (which you need cable to access).

The ACC network is on the watchespn app and will be on traditional cable in 2019 as well. Just like the SEC Network, you'll have games and shows on the cable channel but can access a lot more via ACC Network plus (only if you have a cable subscription).

It shouldn't be affected much at all by the ESPN Plus app.

But does anyone know if the ACC network games are going to regulated here and force people to pay more for ESPN?

From what I understand the ESPN watch app will still exist, but I hope the ACC network games stay here, especially for OCC basketball games.

The only affect at all this will have on people who currently get the ESPN channels through cable or satellite is that SOME lesser-watched sporting events like G5 college football and mid-major college basketball will be ESPN+ only. I expect that to be very very few games. So if you wanted to watch the Coastal Carolina/South Alabama football game, that MIGHT be ESPN+ only.

This is an entry into the cord-cutting market. ESPN is just dipping their feet in, charging $5/month for niche sports programming. The popular leagues are not included for the most part. That would be MLB, NBA, NFL, major college conferences. So basically, any sporting event that is actually televised on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews, ACCN, or SECN will not be available on ESPN+.

The 1 nice benefit you do get with this is because ESPN bought the out-of-market PPV rights for the local broadcasts of MLB, NHL, and MLS (I dont think NBA), they are going to air 1 MLB and 1 NHL regular season game per day. So, you may get to watch the Reds take on the Brewers on a Tuesday night using the local Cincy broadcasters. The next night it might be the Padres and Diamondbacks using the local SD announcers.

There will also be a ton of niche stuff like rugby, cricket, etc but that's just stuff on watchESPN anyway.

I'd expect that in a couple years, ESPN will add ALL their content to ESPN+ and charge something like $30/month for people that want that option

I don't understand any of this newfangled stuff so I will check with my 5 year old nephew and he can explain it.

I don't have cable and would gladly pay ESPN directly to get their stuff. That plus Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix might still come in less than the cost of cable or satellite and provide much more useful stuff to me.

ESPN charges distributors an average of $7.21 per month per subscriber, plus another $.90 for ESPN2

Charge me $25 a month for a more complete ESPN package, pocket the difference. Cut out the middle man, ESPN.

I don't have cable and would gladly pay ESPN directly to get their stuff. That plus Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix might still come in less than the cost of cable or satellite and provide much more useful stuff to me.

ESPN charges distributors an average of $7.21 per month per subscriber, plus another $.90 for ESPN2

Charge me $25 a month for a more complete ESPN package, pocket the difference. Cut out the middle man, ESPN.

In a couple years, that is what they will do.

How often do you really watch espn ? I only watch from sept 1 to end of pitt basketball season.
Other than that it sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT