ADVERTISEMENT

How high does Pitt have to go for you to be happy?

Fredact

Sophomore
Mar 19, 2011
We all know the narrative: Picked 14th in the conference, no one expected anything, especially after the start.

I see folks saying, they are just so happy they are here. But are you? If they lose their next 3 games, will you still say “it was a great season”? More importantly, will you support them at the Pete in an NIT game? Will you watch the NIT on TV?

I think I will feel disappointed in the moment if they don’t win at least one NCAA tourney game. But everything from ND on is a bonus to me. and I would LOVE to go to more games at the Pete if the NIT happens haha.

Reactions: Drew1208
We all know the narrative: Picked 14th in the conference, no one expected anything, especially after the start.

I see folks saying, they are just so happy they are here. But are you? If they lose their next 3 games, will you still say “it was a great season”? More importantly, will you support them at the Pete in an NIT game? Will you watch the NIT on TV?
I’m already happy. But I can get a whole lot happier.

Same. They could lose out the rest of the way and while I’d be massively disappointed with the ending, I’d still be happy with the season.

Id be ecstatic if they split the final two, win at least one in the ACCT, and one in the NCAAT.
Agree, though missing the tournament at this point would be painful given how close they seem to be right now and all the games they’ve won.

And yeah splitting the final 2, at least 1 in the ACC and NCAA tourney is kind of my base line expectation/hope. But as much as we talk about potential second round opponent for Pitt, the first round opponent likely won’t be a pushover either. Have to hope it’s a good matchup, no further injuries and they don’t just go completely cold at the wrong time.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Once the dust settles, would not be disappointed if they get into the NCAA tourney and don't win a game. They are completely playing w house money at this point.

Though it will be a bit of a let down if they don't capitalize on what they have going by not winning ACC regular season, getting at least to the finals of the ACC tournament, winning a few games in the NCAAs, or some combo.

Once the dust settles, would not be disappointed if they get into the NCAA tourney and don't win a game. They are completely playing w house money at this point.

Though it will be a bit of a let down if they don't capitalize on what they have going by not winning ACC regular season, getting at least to the finals of the ACC tournament, winning a few games in the NCAAs, or some combo.
It would be really nice to raise a banner with this team. Win the ACC league (one more win!) title or the ACCT tourney title.

I don’t think I ever expected Pitt to win an ACC championship in basketball so a share or outright title would be incredible. We haven’t been to the tournament in 7 years. Getting there is more than we expected this year. Getting to the second week is feasible for the way this team is playing.

Already exceeded expectations but always disappointed when we lose.

Short of beating Notre Dame by anything less than 146, I will be disappointed. On a serious note, its been such a great ride this year because of zero expectations and our collection of junkyard dogs. This being said, and being realistic, I will be upset whenever the season ultimately comes to an end. Hopefully somewhere between the great 8 and Final Four :cool:

Reactions: ratking17

Agree with the house money comment. It’s all gravy from here

For me personally I’d like to see them beat ND (I think this is going to be a tough game as this is breys last game and Pitt could be looking ahead to Miami ) play well against Miami and win at least one game in the ACC and NCAA.

Losing out would tarnish what they’ve done to date but it would still be a great season considering expectations at the start of the year

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Agree with the house money comment. It’s all gravy from here

For me personally I’d like to see them beat ND (I think this is going to be a tough game as this is breys last game and Pitt could be looking ahead to Miami ) play well against Miami and win at least one game in the ACC and NCAA.

Losing out would tarnish what they’ve done to date but it would still be a great season considering expectations at the start of the year
I doubt they will be looking ahead given their win one game philosophy and experienced team. I certainly understand the comment but we are focused on Notre Dame, this is the only game that matters. No letting up!

Reactions: hoclaw

They aren’t going to the NIT no matter what.

Win a few games in the NCAA tournament and you’re in the Final Four.

1 win would be nice. 2 puts you in the Sweet 16-that would be awesome.

Final four or bust:) This is year 5 and success was expected when Capel was initially hired for this year. I am already a happy fan and will be more disappointed for this team when they make an exit as they seem like the closest and most cohesive bunch of teammates I have seen play at Pitt even going back to Howland days. Not as talented, but chemistry and likeability off the charts. But Dixon was axed because he didn’t make a final four, so I’ll go with final four, but playing with house money.

I don’t see us going to the NIT so I’m already quite happy. This season has already been so much more enjoyable and fulfilling that I ever dreamed.

14-6 in the conference was inconceivable even 10 games into the season. So if they lose out it was an incredible season. Obviously it would be disappointing to lose out now that we are here. And I feel they should at least split last two games and win at least one game in ACCT and NCAAT. But at this point the season is already a resounding success regardless of what happens from this point on.

House money is true to an extent. My goal a month ago was to make it.

But man…I now feel like this team could (and should) win a couple games in the tourney. And “could and should” now win at least a piece of the ACC.

The season is a “success” and a building block regardless. So I’m happy, but I gotta admit my bar is creeping up.

Quick edit: I guess the OP floated the concept of NIT. I’m not even thinking that way. We are in.

I think I will feel disappointed in the moment if they don’t win at least one NCAA tourney game. But everything from ND on is a bonus to me. and I would LOVE to go to more games at the Pete if the NIT happens haha.
That's where I'm at.
I'll be disappointed as of now by a 1st rd knock out but I won't be upset about the season.

I'll just be sad because i truly believe with the right matchups and lil luck this team can go as far as anyone.

That's where I'm at.
I'll be disappointed as of now by a 1st rd knock out but I won't be upset about the season.

I'll just be sad because i truly believe with the right matchups and lil luck this team can go as far as anyone.
with the right matchups and lil luck this team can go as far as anyone

I don't believe that to be true, because we're so reliant on perimeter shooting and there are a bunch of teams that we would have problems matching up with personnel-wise. Also as a middling seed we will have very tough first and second round opponents.

A Sweet 16 would be a fantastic achievement given the desert we've been wandering in for years now.

I don't believe that to be true, because we're so reliant on perimeter shooting and there are a bunch of teams that we would have problems matching up with personnel-wise. Also as a middling seed we will have very tough first and second round opponents.

A Sweet 16 would be a fantastic achievement given the desert we've been wandering in for years now.
It won't be easy or likely I just think a nice run is possible. If we connect on Defense.
I don't even think about our O much anymore.
We need to lock in way better for the tourney.

It would be a total disappointment if they somehow didn't make the Big Dance at this point. It's funny, too, because in years past, I would be so excited about the possibility of cutting down the nets at the conference tourney - especially in the Big East days. It seems like the fan base is looking completely past that right now. All eyes are on the NCAAT. And if they get in, my hope would be to be playing the second weekend.

It would be a total disappointment if they somehow didn't make the Big Dance at this point. It's funny, too, because in years past, I would be so excited about the possibility of cutting down the nets at the conference tourney - especially in the Big East days. It seems like the fan base is looking completely past that right now. All eyes are on the NCAAT. And if they get in, my hope would be to be playing the second weekend.
Part of that was the spectacle of the tournament at Madison Square Garden. The eyes of the basketball world were on the Big East tourney more than any other conference's tourney back then. Winning it seemed to mean something more than just a conference tournament.

Greensboro freaking North Carolina doesn't cut it. It's like having a major tournament in Monroeville.

As legendary as the ACC is.... having the tournament in Greensboro just feels small time.

Reactions: Protes
Part of that was the spectacle of the tournament at Madison Square Garden. The eyes of the basketball world were on the Big East tourney more than any other conference's tourney back then. Winning it seemed to mean something more than just a conference tournament.

Greensboro freaking North Carolina doesn't cut it. It's like having a major tournament in Monroeville.

As legendary as the ACC is.... having the tournament in Greensboro just feels small time.
If you aren’t attending why does it matter ?

Greensboro is picked because it always sells out
Same reason the ncaa has it as a site almost every year .
It’s the nc version of Dayton Ohio
It’s a basketball crazy area

I’m already happy. But I can get a whole lot happier.
The right answer….

They have accomplished more than I expected by far. I was hoping for a winning season….

If they win their next two games, I will be thrilled beyond words. I wouldn’t care if they win another game after that. Winning the ACC Championship is something that can’t be taken away.

The right answer….

They have accomplished more than I expected by far. I was hoping for a winning season….

If they win their next two games, I will be thrilled beyond words. I wouldn’t care if they win another game after that. Winning the ACC Championship is something that can’t be taken away.
One win gets them there. Not outright but can still hang a banner.

I'm already happy. This year is like old times, watching lots of wins all season. I'd love to win an ACC Title, either regular season or tournament. Make the Tournament and win at least a game or 2 at worse.

Get in the tournament and everything else is gravy.

Honestly, if they come up short now I'll feel worse than if they met expectations and we were looking at new head coaches.

They aren’t going to the NIT no matter what.
I don't think they will, because I think they'll win one. But if they lose the next two regular season games, they could possibly be a 5 seed. If that happens, they'll face the winner of say FSU/Ga Tech. A loss in that game would almost assuredly knock them out of the NCAA.

Also, everyone seems to be counting on a win in the ACCT. Unless Pitt's the #1 seed, their first game with the double bye, would almost certainly be against one of the North Carolina schools--that is, essentially a road game.

I don't think they will, because I think they'll win one. But if they lose the next two regular season games, they could possibly be a 5 seed. If that happens, they'll face the winner of say FSU/Ga Tech. A loss in that game would almost assuredly knock them out of the NCAA.

Also, everyone seems to be counting on a win in the ACCT. Unless Pitt's the #1 seed, their first game with the double bye, would almost certainly be against one of the North Carolina schools--that is, essentially a road game.
That's crazy but you're 100% correct.
Well I guess we got some real meaningful basketball left.

Reactions: PittPoker

The three most efficient shots in basketball are the 3, a layup and a free throw.

Pitt wins by being pretty good at all 3.

I'm in the camp of already happy with the results but this team is built to win a couple of games because of how they play. If they don't, will be because of a bad match-up.

The right answer….

Doable and now in their control.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT