ADVERTISEMENT

How high does Pitt have to go for you to be happy?

First off, it seems like it used to be that just about any Power Conference team with 18-20 wins always made the NCAAs? Now it seems like some are saying they could be an ACC team with 20-22 wins and not make it? As for the NIT, if they don't make the NCAAs I want them in the NIT and of course I'll watch, in fact all my focus will be on the NIT, I won't even watch the NCAAs who cares? :)

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
It won't be easy or likely I just think a nice run is possible. If we connect on Defense.
I don't even think about our O much anymore.
We need to lock in way better for the tourney.
I agree. At our peak, we’ve been a top 30 offense (where we are right now) and a top 40 defense (where we were for a stretch of the conference schedule before the recent struggles).

If we can unlock both of those at the same time, then that’s absolutely a sweet sixteen quality team, and maybe higher. Think Indiana or Maryland.

Reactions: Drew1208
I agree. At our peak, we’ve been a top 30 offense (where we are right now) and a top 40 defense (where we were for a stretch of the conference schedule before the recent struggles).

If we can unlock both of those at the same time, then that’s absolutely a sweet sixteen quality team, and maybe higher. Think Indiana or Maryland.
Unlock the next level please

You mean even if the NCAAs didn't select them? You say they still wouldn't go to the NIT? Why is that?
I think we’re as close to a NCAAT lock as it gets.

If we get totally hosed and aren’t selected, we would absolutely play in the NIT.

I think we’re as close to a NCAAT lock as it gets.

If we get totally hosed and aren’t selected, we would absolutely play in the NIT.
Agree with everything you said. With all the BS Quads and NETS and all that nonsense, you'd still think a team with 14 wins in the ACC and over 20 wins overall should be a no brainer LOCK for the NCAAT,

Agree with everything you said. With all the BS Quads and NETS and all that nonsense, you'd still think a team with 14 wins in the ACC and over 20 wins overall should be a no brainer LOCK for the NCAAT,
The only thing preventing Pitt from being a lock right now IMO are the early season struggles and the home loss to Florida State. Trade the Syracuse road win for the FSU home loss and I think we’re in a better spot right now, if not a lock. Win one the VCU, Michigan or Vanderbilt games and we’re a lock right now, even if the rest of the games stay the same.

And the fact that we’ve been bad for years - I understand that that’s not supposed to matter, but it does.

The only thing preventing Pitt from being a lock right now IMO are the early season struggles and the home loss to Florida State. Trade the Syracuse road win for the FSU home loss and I think we’re in a better spot right now, if not a lock. Win one the VCU, Michigan or Vanderbilt games and we’re a lock right now, even if the rest of the games stay the same.

And the fact that we’ve been bad for years - I understand that that’s not supposed to matter, but it does.
So, 14 ACC wins, and 21 wins isn't enough anymore? That's pretty unreasonable, but 2023 micromanager world is where we live.

So, 14 ACC wins, and 21 wins isn't enough anymore? That's pretty unreasonable, but 2023 micromanager world is where we live.
ND went 15-5 in conference last year, good for the second seed in the ACC, but went 1 and done in Greensboro and still ended up in Dayton. I project that we will need 1 more win—whether that's ND, Miami, or ACCT—to make the tournament, and 2 wins to get us to the Round of 64.

Disappointment to me would be not to hang a banner for this team. I want a banner (co champ…whatever)

I want THIS TEAM to be remembered….so when the kid asks dad or mom 25 yrs from now about this years banner he can explain how wonderful of a TEAM he witnessed and what it meant to them and the fans of the team. Brought Panther bball back from dead!!!

THIS TEAM deserves it!!!!

PS: personally hope we win one more reg season, at least one more in ACC tourney and 1 in NCAA…

Last edited:
Just make the NCAAT and I'll be happy. But given that, it will take a minimum of beating ND @ ND, and getting at least 1 more win either against Miami or in the ACCT for us to make the NCAAT. We have at least 2 more wins to go before we can talk "happy".

It would be a total disappointment if they somehow didn't make the Big Dance at this point. It's funny, too, because in years past, I would be so excited about the possibility of cutting down the nets at the conference tourney - especially in the Big East days. It seems like the fan base is looking completely past that right now. All eyes are on the NCAAT. And if they get in, my hope would be to be playing the second weekend.
It’s inconceivable to me that a team that’s on top of the ACC with one week left in the regular season has to worry about getting into the tournament. I just don’t believe we’re actually on the bubble. There’s just no way. It has to be a lock at this point.

Has to be. I refuse to believe otherwise. The committee would be setting a really bad precedent to leave Pitt out this year.

it will take a minimum of beating ND @ ND, and getting at least 1 more win either against Miami or in the ACCT for us to make the NCAAT. We have at least 2 more wins to go before we can talk "happy".

That is almost certainly not the case. The only way it would even be close would be if we lost our first ACCT game against someone like Florida State or Georgia Tech or one of the other bad teams. And even then we'd almost certainly be in. If the loss in the ACCT was to someone like Duke or Carolina then that won't hurt us at all, as a loss at Miami will not.

Final four or bust:) This is year 5 and success was expected when Capel was initially hired for this year. I am already a happy fan and will be more disappointed for this team when they make an exit as they seem like the closest and most cohesive bunch of teammates I have seen play at Pitt even going back to Howland days. Not as talented, but chemistry and likeability off the charts. But Dixon was axed because he didn’t make a final four, so I’ll go with final four, but playing with house money.
I think after tonight, making the tourney will make most of us happy. To miss it after being ranked and in first place on the last day of the regular season, would be heartbreaking.

Reactions: hailtopitt25
Make the tournament, play a good game, win or lose. I'd be happy with that. I don't care about NITs. Really the only NCAA tournament appearance that would bother me is if a Big 12 team beat us by 30 and a bunch of know-it-alls saying "we knew they were never any good!"

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT